Thread: crosscharcom troubles

Default crosscharcom troubles

i have 2 computers running windows 7 on the same home network both are logged into the same homegroup. i have the ip address for both computers on the network. i can even ping each machine from the other. but when i start crosscharcom on one computer it says ok, but when i try to link the other computer i get a fatal error message other machine actively refused connection.

any ideas what im doing wrong?

anyone else been able to get this working?

thanks in advance for any help

2. Default

windows firewall on? if so, need to open the port it uses.

ok so i was never able to get this to work between my two computers. I then set up my pc (dual monitors) with a layout to run all 3 characters im try to MA with. I cant get all three to link up. im occasionally able to get 2 of them to link (one as server one as client) but the third on will start as another server..... any ideas?

ok i finally got this to work, but wow is it wierd. this is on 1 computer only. running 3 characters on 1 machine

i log in the first character and start crosscharcom and get the this character is a hub message
    i log in the second character and start crosscharcom and get this character is a hub message
    i log in the third character and start crosscharcom and it links as client to the first character
    i then go to the second character and start crosscharcom2 (exact same as crosscharcom except a different name) and it links as client to the first character

and from here it works great. i have no idea what this works or how but there it is.

i send all commands to crosscharcom

Quote Originally Posted by loxe View Post
    ok i finally got this to work, but wow is it wierd. this is on 1 computer only. running 3 characters on 1 machine

i log in the first character and start crosscharcom and get the this character is a hub message
    i log in the second character and start crosscharcom and get this character is a hub message
    i log in the third character and start crosscharcom and it links as client to the first character
    i then go to the second character and start crosscharcom2 (exact same as crosscharcom except a different name) and it links as client to the first character

and from here it works great. i have no idea what this works or how but there it is.

i send all commands to crosscharcom
    interesting....how did you even discover that? lol
    Calling you names is fun, because your skin is so thin and your vagina so sandy.

Check out my Solhaven Shop!
    https://ps.lichproject.org/shops/3818
    Fusion Orbs, Flaring 100-arrow Bundles, ICE age stuff, 50-count Gem Jars and more!

--------

d100(Open): 261
    You forage briefly and manage to find some acantha leaf!

Blog Entries

I've used crosschar for going on 8 years and used up to about 10 characters all linked and being run on one script from the hub.. I've never been able to get it to work from machine to machine, but here's what I've discovered.

Char 1: I run ";crosschar"
    char 2-x: I run ";crosschar localhost" which will then connect all characters.

For whatever reason, I was able to send commands from any character except character 2 using the ";send to crosschar CHARACTER1 command" function.

Some other cool functions I loved about MAing with it was that you could send 1 command to the wall (all characters) and it would stack behind their RT. For example, my group of 8 chars would all get nailed by an e-wave, I could send out a wall to stand, and as soon as the char stands up, it'll start doing whatever commands I'm sending, but if the character hasn't stood up, it'll just ignore commands while waiting to get out of RT. I feel like this falls into the accidental feature part of the program.

Dreaven and I were the last to tinker around with this script about a year ago. I believe that I uploaded a crosscharcom2 to the repo that fixed a few lines with extra spaces that were making commands enter wrong, but other than that, it's been untouched since I started using it back in 07-08. I've never had any issues with it over the years.
    2013 PC FF Champion

Ross#9505 on Discord

how did i discover it? desperately grasping at straws trying make it work. some way some how. and doing it the way i do i can send commands from any character to any other character or the wall

Probably is binding to 127.0.0.1 (local loop back) and not 0.0.0.0 (all network interfaces). 127.0.0.1 means the port is only available on localhost
    Discord: Ondreian#3875

I have turned PMs off on these forums, if you want to chat, use Discord to contact me.

knifty

Trying to run this scrip on same PC but both characters report that they're servers, and so no commands a passed in between:

"Successful socket bind, this script is running as server ('hub' for all characters)"

does it actually WORK for both those characters once it claims they are running as the server? like can you do the WALL or send to <chracter's own name> to make them do a command? If I had to guess I'm assuming it's actually failing to bind to the socket for some reason (admin privlieges, firewall, etc.) so its not actually functional.
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!