Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: spreading the burden and finding trust

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by m444w View Post
    That happens from time to time with all providers. 100% uptime is impossible.

Github had a fire at their one of their data centers and was down for several hours just a week ago and that's a ~10 billion dollar company.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donquix View Post
    Sure, host downs are absolutely a thing, but the explanation is odd.

A CPU causing data loss is...weirdish. And taking days to replace anything is pretty unacceptable.
    100% uptime is impossible, yes. But we're living in a world when your uptime is defined by how many nines you can place AFTER the decimal point. 99.9%, 99.999%, etc.

Having a fire in a data center, and having shit back up in a few hours; That's a company who has a disaster recovery plan in place. Losing a CPU and taking down everything on that server? For days? That's a company that's showing a lack of experience.

We're also living in a world where even a $5 a month plan gets backed up nightly with most companies that are at least decent. You pull the backups, load the VPSes (does a plural of that even exist yet?) onto other hardware, and swallow the performance hit until you can get the hardware back up and running.

I'm not criticizing Tilllmen, but his host is showing some serious "needs improvement" areas. But I don't trust that a bus couldn't just hit Tillmen one day; Bus drivers are maniacs.
    Last edited by Sjoldamn; 02-12-2016 at 12:28 AM.

ive put up lichproject.info and am working from basics to restore everything, ive sent all information to tillmen via PM here on PC
    but I have this sneaking suspicion just a sneaking suspicion that he will shut it down, turn it off and move on, even tho digital ocean is one of the worlds foremost VPN server supplies with never a ddos attack that wasn't thwarted
    I have felt this way since the site and everything went offline originally, I think tillmen is leaving GS
    and only running lnet on his home computer until he finds someone who can take it over

this is what I sent tillmen :

I have created everything you need to move everything back online and mirrored everything from the old site to the new site with name servers and domain registration

digital ocean
    account info for digital ocean username bbwhited@icloud.com ps ********
    server up and running at 162.243.78.157
    user: ********
    pw: ********
    webmail,nginx,php,webmin, Ubuntu, MySQL, sendmail, python, perl, curl, gzip, git
    all files have been uploaded
    created subdomains at 1and1.com for all subs, repo, ps, lnet and so on, all pointing at localhost 162.243.78.157
    everything is setup and bill is paid for as long as you want it, you can even pay by paypal

1and1.com registration information
    user: ********
    pw: *********
    everything is setup and running and waiting for you to take it over and do as you wish
    Player of Aethor Whiteaxe, Giantman Cleric

had few requests for a TS3 server so we have one now

password no password
    need a moderator for this service
    Last edited by Aethor; 02-13-2016 at 08:27 AM.
    Player of Aethor Whiteaxe, Giantman Cleric

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aethor View Post
    had few requests for a TS3 server so we have one now

ip 162.243.78.157
    password GS4
    need a moderator for this service
    Mumble is better, but who am I to complain.
    No, I am not Drauz in game.

5. Default

Or just use the free and awesome Discord server. Excellent text and voice chat for gamers.

https://discord.gg/0pA7qEv6rnUHVkJa