Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: spreading the burden and finding trust

Default spreading the burden and finding trust

Almost 20 years ago I started playing this game and became a part of the community.
    i've played rogues warriors, clerics, sorcerers, rangers, wizards, had a ton of fun.
    But after Briarmoon Cove, a couple of long timers started to look into the end result of globalizing and acquiring lich for the community.
    Lets be honest here. A week without lnet changed your life and changed a festival.
    Tillmen has trust issues with sharing all of lich with one person, he also has trust issues with hosting lich on a us based server
    I tried to resolve this today and offered 3 servers 2 west coast 1 east coast interlinked through AWS(Amazon Web Services) which could of easily hosted lich, lichproject.org, lnet, player shop data, the repository and anything else game related.
    Lich is a game evolved product created by Shaelun looked after and tended to by Tillmen.

Not intending any bad luck, but what happens to our community if tillmen walks out of his building and gets hit by a bus.
    Syphaer and I talked about this, it would take weeks and years of coding to rebuild what is already in place.
    Daiyon and I talked about this, we could globalize lich, lichproject.org, playershop data, have our own git repository of scripts that all coders could work on, a place to host lnet, and place to host a game balanced voice server such as mumble,teamspeak,gamevox or Ventrilo,

We could make 5 to 6 long time players who have money and are able to do something should something happen and make things happen with something that is already established. where any one of those players could pay the bill with his credit card for months, years in advance. for what it would cost in IO requests, data transfer and hourly hosting rates. So that we never have the problem that we have now.

Currently lnet is on a backup server with no repository, and no playershops data. and if that crashes we are out of lnet again, now I'm not posting this as malicious harm but as a way to look out for our community of players so they will have lnet, lich, repository data, and player shops data for years to come. My only intent is provide for our community and look towards the future.

what we need is a centralized US based server with with redundancy and failover protection, and the lich files, repository files, playershop data files, lnet files and website hosting files all in one location that 5 to 6 people of long term player history be appointed to pay the monthly bill via multi access IAM billing, monitor server status monitoring. In a sense a group of people that would be responsible for lich & lnet for the future, because tillmen trusts no one. not a single person, perhaps he can trust a group of long term players.

again I am not posting this to be mean but to protect a future of lnet, lich, and lichproject.org, playershop data and repository data
    Player of Aethor Whiteaxe, Giantman Cleric

Can it run on Amazon AWS? Or another virtual server?
    everan

trouble is a friend of mine

Blog Entries

Ultimately, this is Tillmen's decision. It sounds as if you've already spoken to him directly regarding this issue.
    Last edited by Fallen; 02-09-2016 at 11:26 PM.
    Vote for Gemstone Once a Day at The Mud Connection & Top Mud Sites

We have all inadvertently provided tillmen with an unknown bank of data about each and every one of us (depending on if he logs the PMs). Do we trust more than 1 man with all of that power? We don't even know what his kryptonite is!

I feel this must be amended (after the negative repper) to state that I do trust Tillmen or I wouldn't be using the service...
    Last edited by rolfard; 02-09-2016 at 11:46 PM.

I would feel better knowing there was a plan in place should something ever happen to Tillmen. I think he has shown himself to be a fantastic and trustworthy steward of those services and should be the one to determine the shape and details of that plan. I would be happy to donate in order to fund something that had his support and I suspect quite a few others would as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephelem View Post
    I would feel better knowing there was a plan in place should something ever happen to Tillmen. I think he has shown himself to be a fantastic and trustworthy steward of those services and should be the one to determine the shape and details of that plan. I would be happy to donate in order to fund something that had his support and I suspect quite a few others would as well.

Quote Originally Posted by everan View Post
    Can it run on Amazon AWS? Or another virtual server?
    It's already running on a VPS
    Mithrilschlong, 2015-03-10 to slightly later on 2015-03-10. You will not be forgotten!
    usable Meteor Swarm, late 2020-12-30 to early 2020-12-31. You will also not be forgotten!

8. Default

A big no thanks on any of that. If Tillmen goes, it goes with him. That's the nature of gaming. Rebuild the code.

Quote Originally Posted by Geijon Khyree View Post
    A big no thanks on any of that. If Tillmen goes, it goes with him. That's the nature of gaming. Rebuild the code.
    The game probably wouldn't survive long enough if Lich went away.
    Discord: Methais#5420
    [Private]-GSIV:Nyatherra: "Until this moment i forgot that i changed your name to Biff Muffbanger on Lnet"
    Quote Originally Posted by Back View Post
    I am a retard. I'm disabled. I'm poor. I'm black. I'm gay. I'm transgender. I'm a woman. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by time4fun View Post
    So here's the deal- I am just horrible

Quote Originally Posted by Geijon Khyree View Post
    Are you Tillmen? No? Okay, STFU.

Edit: I'm not saying I want anyone but Tillmen to run Lich, but Tillmen is more than capable of speaking for himself.
    Last edited by SashaFierce; 02-10-2016 at 02:59 AM.