Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Considering swapping to sword and board from TWC

Default Considering swapping to sword and board from TWC

I'm getting hit...A LOT. Also tired of berserking around and not getting to loot the bodies. So I'm considering swapping to sword and board. I know that this obviously will slow down my killing rate, but I wasn't sure by how much. Also, as a dwarf, should I go for ambush or MOC or both? If both what are the scenarios for using each?

I've went through the forums a bit to comb for info on shield man recommendations but they seem somewhat conflicted. Does anyone have some feedback on what shieldmans are worth it and what isn't?

Also, are tower shields the only way to go for warriors?

Sword and Board is fine, just be sure to get full ranks of Trample. You can still berserk.

I'm not sure what level you are, but I would focus on either 55 or 90 ranks of MOC, 40 ranks of ambush, 2xCM, and 1xPerception.

I would also recommend getting EBlock - the damage mitigation from flares/ball/magic spells is invaluable.

Prop up
    Thym, 21 warrior. Coraesine Weapons are my friend.

Slocan, 100 Ranger

Jynai, 100 Empath

-Looking for my old character (Orbstar DE Wizard)

DO IT
    Looking for: krodera items, the gleaming krodera long knife, oldstyle katanas

August 20, 2006
    >just ban
    You are currently banished from Wehnimer's Landing.

>ask clerk about citizen
    The clerk says, "Hrrrm, Mogonis, you do seem to be eligible for full citizenship. Just WRITE your name in the book if you wish to make it official."

>write book
    You sign your name into the citizenship registration book, fully agreeing to the duties and privileges full citizenship provides you.

Lay down in offensive with your tower shield in plate and just laugh as stuff tries to murder you.

35 trains so unfortunately no plate yet and 55 MOC would take 1.5x MOC which is a lot of points. Is that more important than ambush? Also I heard 25 ranks of ambush w/ 2x CM, or is that for higher trains?

At 35, would then recommend 30 ranks of MOC. Take a look at the wiki for the break points.

Ambush is different, giving you different ways to attack a foe. Research from awhile back, if I recall, said diminishing returns after 40 ranks was absurd. So 2xCM and 40 ranks of ambush should be plenty till cap.

As a Dwarf with OHE/Board, set your aim to right/left leg.. knock them down.. then crush their heads. Or Trample, ambush head. Or just go berserk. It all works.

If you are going OHE/Shield I would get up to 30 or so of ambush ASAP. Aiming your shots is crucial with sword and board, you compensate for less damage per swing by swinging at what you want to hit. Virtually the only time I'm using "ATTACK" instead of "AMBUSH" is when I'm in an invasion and its all just hack and slash. Or non-corp undead...and for those, focused MoC when you get there.

MoC is great as it gets higher up, but at the level you are at, your money is going to be with open aiming. Once you get your ambush to where it needs to be, then you can worry about pumping up the MoC beyond that 30 ranks, like Shaps says.

I second and third shield trample and trample mastery for shield maneuvers (for crowds) and shield bash (via SHIELD points, so you can use the CMAN points elsewhere) for one on one (same RT as trample but disables the critter much more, with increased RT, head wounds, stuns).

And work on your Guild training for Tricks so you can feint well, if you haven't yet.

For CMANs, blockmastery + tower shield is just funny. You can turtle in defensive with it and be near untouchable, if you want. Might even be overkill, but I love it.
    Last edited by Mohrgan; 02-09-2016 at 08:41 PM.

For guild training, I have feint but not many extra skill points to go into tricks. I'm already a berserk master and 53 ranks of cries. I shouldn't have any issue having 30 ambush and 30 MOC at this train. That of course will depend on if I should be 2xing or 3xing shield use though.

Should I be looking for a crit weighted weapon for living critters?

Thanks everyone for the feedback.