Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small race vs big race

Default Small race vs big race

I'm making this thread because I've been having difficulty uphunting against creatures who used size based maneuver attacks. It feels like it's nearly a guaranteed hit every time despite being nearly immune in every other facet.

I know spiffy created a thread where he showed that some of those advantages vs smaller races were quite significant but I can't find it at the moment.

Curious as to people's thoughts regarding how this plays out at higher levels (currently in 50s) and what you guys think of big race vs small race with regards to monks
    The only rude person I met was a taxi driver in kagoshima. I was going from the train station to the ferry to take it over to an island and was showing him my papers and he was like "oh, climb mountain?" and I'm like "hai, yep!" and he made a muscle pose(bent arm, whatever you call it) laughed, and rubbed my belly.. like "oh, no, you fat american fuck, you no get up there", but whatever - Japhrimel

My halfling monk kick ass because halflings get a bonus to maneuvers. I haven't really noticed too much of a problem. How does your training look? Remember PT is the most important followed by CM and perception. Perception is a nice cheap skill if you want to pick up some extra ranks.

3. Default

I haven't really noticed any issues with maneuvers at all as a small race. Small races generally have the best maneuver defense bonuses. They may come into play as a larger race, but to my knowledge, the biggest argument for small vs large race for most people seems to be the extra step necessary to ambush something in the face. with UAC mstrike that doesn't seem to really come into play a lot, as all you really need to do is tap something to knock it on its ass with UAC, so reaching the head isn't often a problem. And when it is, abdomen also death crits well via kick.

What sort of critters are you having trouble with? I went Kiramon in Darkstone til 50, bonespear til 55, then soul golems on teras til 63 and really just never got hit around that level range. After that went to krag yetis and dwellers, and while maneuvers did occasionally kill me, I don't think it was size based. You just flat out don't dodge the death crits sometimes there. It just happens.
    Last edited by Stumplicker; 08-14-2017 at 01:43 AM.

Small races make great monks, especially halflings. I say halflings specifically because of the inherent +40 elemental TD and +20 sorc TD. Considering the TD shortages that monks face later on, I'd say that halflings have a pretty nice mechanical advantage.

And because you'll be using UAC, that -15 STR bonus is mitigated by the +10 AGL. You won't have the highest UAF compared to other races, but it'll be plenty good enough (UAF doesn't matter all that much, anyhow) I tend to prefer smaller races for semis and pures, but the only time I really like small races for melee builds is when I'm doing UAC. I think they're perfect for monks or UAC rogues.

The fat AGI/DEX bonus that halflings get will help with your mstrike roundtime too. Of course, halflings get a nice bonus to maneuvers (assuming you're not encumbered!).

The biggest problem you'll face with a small race is encumbrance. If you're okay with leaving boxes on the ground and wearing as little gear as possible, small races are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumplicker View Post
    I haven't really noticed any issues with maneuvers at all as a small race. Small races generally have the best maneuver defense bonuses. They may come into play as a larger race, but to my knowledge, the biggest argument for small vs large race for most people seems to be the extra step necessary to ambush something in the face. with UAC mstrike that doesn't seem to really come into play a lot, as all you really need to do is tap something to knock it on its ass with UAC, so reaching the head isn't often a problem. And when it is, abdomen also death crits well via kick.

What sort of critters are you having trouble with? I went Kiramon in Darkstone til 50, bonespear til 55, then soul golems on teras til 63 and really just never got hit around that level range. After that went to krag yetis and dwellers, and while maneuvers did occasionally kill me, I don't think it was size based. You just flat out don't dodge the death crits sometimes there. It just happens.
    And then quit being a monk. Don't see Flimbo on at all anymore.

Traitor.

I'm over in RR and having difficulty with tomb trolls who are a few levels above me and tend to use shield bash. I can't get warded, hit, and often dodge most of the other manuevers, but the shield bash attack they do tends to 1 shot me.
    The only rude person I met was a taxi driver in kagoshima. I was going from the train station to the ferry to take it over to an island and was showing him my papers and he was like "oh, climb mountain?" and I'm like "hai, yep!" and he made a muscle pose(bent arm, whatever you call it) laughed, and rubbed my belly.. like "oh, no, you fat american fuck, you no get up there", but whatever - Japhrimel

Quote Originally Posted by Alashir View Post
    I'm over in RR and having difficulty with tomb trolls who are a few levels above me and tend to use shield bash. I can't get warded, hit, and often dodge most of the other manuevers, but the shield bash attack they do tends to 1 shot me.
    What is your encumberance when they land a kill shot? I was dying a lot there recently on my bard but stopped picking up all the boxes on him and being religious about having 0 encumberance every hunt and now I have not died once since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1207 is your friend.

Shield bash, charge, tackle, bull rush, bear hug, etc. are all annoying as a halfling. The upside is you're immune to like everything else. As a monk just 1207 anything that's standing and has an attack that can fuck you. For everything else, stand in offensive and kill it because nothing can touch you.
    It must be hard to type with ghostcrawlers penis lodged in your ass. - g++

Quote Originally Posted by SpiffyJr View Post
    Shield bash, charge, tackle, bull rush, bear hug, etc. are all annoying as a halfling. The upside is you're immune to like everything else. As a monk just 1207 anything that's standing and has an attack that can fuck you. For everything else, stand in offensive and kill it because nothing can touch you.
    Halfling is a terrible race for any melee oriented class. They have low hit points and die to a sneeze including most physical cmans. The RP addiction must be epic to even think about picking halfling.