Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Krov Monk in the Works.

I know at first glance a half-krolv seems to be tailormade to be a monk, but they are pretty terrible monks with that logic hit.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpodu View Post
    I know at first glance a half-krolv seems to be tailormade to be a monk, but they are pretty terrible monks with that logic hit.
    I beg to differ. I'm a fairly bad ass monk and an HK.

Quote Originally Posted by GS-Vet View Post
    I beg to differ. I'm a fairly bad ass monk and an HK.
    Agreed. In fact hk's are bad ads in general and I don't notice a hit to logic even with my non perfect self hk rogue.

I think the logic concern is overblown. At lvl 19 you can set you stats for cap and have no worries with your hk monk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cwolff View Post
    Agreed. In fact hk's are bad ads in general and I don't notice a hit to logic even with my non perfect self hk rogue.

I think the logic concern is overblown. At lvl 19 you can set you stats for cap and have no worries with your hk monk
    Agreed my half krolvin wizard is bananas. Those other star bumps are amazing for ranged and weapon use and my spell AS is solid too. I placed logic high and have no issues and my pool is decent because I placed discipline high too. So while I may lose out on however points per pulse I still feel like I earn and burn exp like a monster. Plus bark and bristle verb use is amaze balls

Quote Originally Posted by Donquix View Post

My current cmans:
    Code:
    Skill name             Mnemonic        Ranks
    Combat Focus           focus             3
    Feint                  feint             5
    Surge of Strength      surge             3
    Burst of Swiftness     burst             3
    Perfect Self           perfectself       5
    Punch Mastery          punchmastery      3
    Ki Focus               kifocus           3
    Rolling Krynch Stance  krynch            3
    Currently maxing out focus. I forget what after that...probably 1 rank of mobility then other stuff.

How come no kick mastery?

Here are my monk's CMs at 51. I'm sure some folks will disagree with my choices, but it works nicely for me so far. Just about everyone will tell you to go Krynch over Flurry of Blows, but I'm still liking Flurry at the moment, in part because I'm using some gloves with major fire flares. I imagine I'll have to switch to Krynch at some point.

I know a lot of people advocate getting Perfect Self as quickly as possible, but I don't think it's worth the training points early on. I'm working toward it now.

I don't have any problems against magic at the moment, but I'm sure that will change sooner or later. I have access to a lot of outside spells, too, so my choices would likely be different otherwise. I only learned spells up to 1216 and don't plan to learn any more for a while. A lot of folks seem to train their monks like a semi class, but that 38 MTP per spell rank sure cuts into your other skills.

Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
    Combat Focus focus 1
    Combat Mobility mobility 1
    Combat Toughness toughness 1
    Surge of Strength surge 1
    Evade Mastery emastery 3
    Punch Mastery punchmastery 3
    Kick Mastery kmastery 3
    Flurry of Blows flurry 3

As far as race goes, I think halflings make the best choice from a mechanical standpoint, if for no other reason than the inherent TD bonuses. Dwarves also have some pretty good natural TD bonuses. Monks have access to some decent spiritual TD, but don't get much to help with ETD. Halflings' inherent +40 ETD and +20 Sorc TD make a huge difference. And with UAC, the negative STR bonus has much less of an impact.

There's nothing wrong with playing a HK, though, if you don't mind absorbing exp more slowly. But still, the extra 2-4 exp a pulse that other races get adds up in the long run.

I've really enjoyed playing my monk thus far, but of course at 51 I'm sure I don't really have a complete picture of the class. I rolled up the monk because I sold off my capped warrior and got bored with my UAC rogue. So far at least, I'd call monks my favorite class among squares or semis (but pures are still more fun, of course).
    Last edited by khorpulent; 12-02-2017 at 09:20 AM.

You also recoup a little bit of the logic loss by being open handed in combat. Doesn't help you versus another monk, true, but against average xp loss from other races, balances it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by khorpulent View Post
    Here are my monk's CMs at 51. I'm sure some folks will disagree with my choices, but it works nicely for me so far. Just about everyone will tell you to go Krynch over Flurry of Blows, but I'm still liking Flurry at the moment, in part because I'm using some gloves with major fire flares. I imagine I'll have to switch to Krynch at some point.

I know a lot of people advocate getting Perfect Self as quickly as possible, but I don't think it's worth the training points early on. I'm working toward it now.

I don't have any problems against magic at the moment, but I'm sure that will change sooner or later. I have access to a lot of outside spells, too, so my choices would likely be different otherwise. I only learned spells up to 1216 and don't plan to learn any more for a while. A lot of folks seem to train their monks like a semi class, but that 38 MTP per spell rank sure cuts into your other skills.

Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
    Combat Focus focus 1
    Combat Mobility mobility 1
    Combat Toughness toughness 1
    Surge of Strength surge 1
    Evade Mastery emastery 3
    Punch Mastery punchmastery 3
    Kick Mastery kmastery 3
    Flurry of Blows flurry 3

As far as race goes, I think halflings make the best choice from a mechanical standpoint, if for no other reason than the inherent TD bonuses. Dwarves also have some pretty good natural TD bonuses. Monks have access to some decent spiritual TD, but don't get much to help with ETD. Halflings' inherent +40 ETD and +20 Sorc TD make a huge difference. And with UAC, the negative STR bonus has much less of an impact.

There's nothing wrong with playing a HK, though, if you don't mind absorbing exp more slowly. But still, the extra 2-4 exp a pulse that other races get adds up in the long run.

I've really enjoyed playing my monk thus far, but of course at 51 I'm sure I don't really have a complete picture of the class. I rolled up the monk because I sold off my capped warrior and got bored with my UAC rogue. So far at least, I'd call monks my favorite class among squares or semis (but pures are still more fun, of course).
    When you get to lvl 70 and realize how much time you wasted I’m sure you’ll be saying a different story.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Fortybox View Post
    When you get to lvl 70 and realize how much time you wasted I’m sure you’ll be saying a different story.
    Why’s that? 90s now and loving it personally

Quote Originally Posted by GS-Vet View Post
    Why’s that? 90s now and loving it personally
    Lies!!!11