PDA

View Full Version : Spell Porfolio

Nordred
12-16-2015, 07:18 PM
a worn black leather portfolio

Two large pieces of vellum are stitched together along one edge, providing a crude and very thin portfolio. A tarnished silver gem setting has been centered on the front cover of the portfolio, though it is empty. Scribbled on the back cover is the list, "Topaz, Emerald, Smooth Stone, Ruby, Diamond." All but "Diamond" have been crossed out.
The portfolio is closed.

This portfolio can transfer spells from scrolls into it, there are 10 slots for spells and each can hold upwards of 20 charges. It costs a diamond to transfer spells over.

I'm taking offers on it, but will only part with it for a good trade or alot of coins. High end short swords, daggers, falchions... etc. If a coin offer somewhere at the 150 mil mark and don't know if i would then still. Also looking for self charging spell items.

-Nordred

time4fun
12-16-2015, 07:24 PM
How does this work (if at all) with 714?

Goat
12-17-2015, 01:40 AM
How does this work (if at all) with 714?

I think it makes scrolls last longer if used correctly, because you can transfer to the portfolio before invoking, so you only lose scroll value from infusing. Allereli is who I'd ask for confirmation. If I'm right about that, it can make your scrolls last roughly twice as long, though it'll vary pretty significantly from spell to spell (invoke cost is fixed per spell level but infuse cost is unique per spell).

Nordred
12-17-2015, 06:33 PM
If you unlock a scroll and charge it up, you can move it to the portfolio and then the scroll can be recharged again and transfer it back to portfolio. How many times depends on the quality of the scroll. I had one I was able to recharge about 12 times. Just to clarify, if you take all the charges off a spell on the scroll, recharging it will put the spell back on it.

Allereli
12-17-2015, 07:27 PM
Scrolls lose power when you invoke as well as when infused. Using the portfolio salvages all the power lost from invoking. It took me a while to set up my portfolio, but generally I love it now. I would change the fact that an odeir'cos runestone does not work with it. I keep track of invoke #s in an Excel document so I don't lose my setup. Also, when a scroll goes cold on the last charging, and the spell I want is on top, I save that scroll just in case. It's a rather high maintenance item, but quite powerful in the long run. I think Goat should buy it and run all the numbers on scroll value saved.

Goat
12-18-2015, 12:28 PM
> I think Goat should buy it and run all the numbers on scroll value saved.
Can tell you without owning it :-)

Check out the gswiki page on 714. You're paying the cost from the 'infuse' column for every change you use. Everyone else is paying the 'infuse plus invoke' cost. For a lot of spells you're paying around half, but for the pricier ones (e.g. 215, or 318 in the extreme) you're still paying ~75%. Best case I see from a quick look is 1712, where you're saving 75%. Maybe higher savings on some of the really really cheap spells, like bolt spells.

Note that the values there are pawn values rather than bardsung value, which I figure is more convenient for sorcerers to work with.