PDA

View Full Version : Continued DDOS Attacks

Kranar
10-12-2015, 12:41 PM
So... once again the attacker initiated a DDOS attack against this website, and from what I gathered also attacked Lich as well. This time the attack exceeded the protection available which is why the forums went down. In response we will just have to continue playing the cat and mouse game, they up the attack and I up the protection. On the one hand I do want to be transparent so I had disclosed in the past the amount of protection available to the site, but on the other hand that also turns out to be a stupid idea since the attacker would then know the exact minimum amount they would need to purchase to by-pass the protection. So it's just going to have to be a balancing act regarding how much information on this matter I disclose versus keep secret in order to avoid helping our DDOS buddy out.

For the time being we should be good to go.

Astray
10-12-2015, 12:51 PM
Man, what a dick.

Soulance
10-12-2015, 01:30 PM
Thanks for keeping us apprised Kranar.

Fallen
10-12-2015, 01:39 PM
You're the man, Kranar.

Ardwen
10-12-2015, 01:43 PM
as always much appreciated Kranar, if there is anything we can do just holler

SHAFT
10-12-2015, 01:48 PM
It's inspire, at the behest of Isis. I have zero evidence. Only a hunch.

Tgo01
10-12-2015, 01:51 PM
Who could hate the PC or lnet so much? We are always so sweet and kind to everyone.

Astray
10-12-2015, 01:55 PM
Who could hate the PC or lnet so much? We are always so sweet and kind to everyone.

You shut your face.

caelric
10-12-2015, 01:55 PM
SIMU went down at the same time (both DR and GS), so it is someone who has a grudge against the whole community (such as it is). I blame that Vanmar guy from DR. You know, the one who bought out the phareceutical company and raised the price of the AIDS drug by 750%? Apparently, he was a DR player, bought a high level character, went on a griefing rampage, got banned, bought the Smelly Cat forums (PC equivalent for DR) and ruined them, and such things.

Or Inspire. Could be him.

Haldrik
10-12-2015, 02:01 PM
If you need any cash, let us know.

Tgo01
10-12-2015, 02:02 PM
Damn. This is some major grudge to be taking the game down as well as the PC and lnet. I'm no expert but such a feat requires a lot of resources, yes?

caelric
10-12-2015, 02:03 PM
Yes and no. You can do it by renting out botnets, which is not too expensive. You can also do it by convincing a community (4chan, anonymous, etc...) that it should be done. Or you can do it by yourself, which does require some know-how and effort.

Aluvius
10-12-2015, 02:05 PM
Who has the energy to even hate something/someone so much that they go to all this trouble? I'm usually like .. RAGE I'M GOING TO ... TO ... fuck it, what are we having for dinner? Even if I had the resources, I would be done by the time I did a web search or whatever one does for these sorts of things.

I guess I'm old.

Astray
10-12-2015, 02:11 PM
Or you can do it by yourself, which does require some know-how and effort.

Uh... no and no. You can buy a DDoS program that'll do it for you these days. It simply requires an IP.

caelric
10-12-2015, 02:16 PM
That would be a DoS, which is much easier to defend against than a DDoS.

Astray
10-12-2015, 02:20 PM
Meh. I just wonder what the point of this is. You don't really do anything but take the site down for a bit. Which is inconvenient but not at all something a rational adult would care about.

I can fill my time doing other shit till it eventually comes up.

SashaFierce
10-12-2015, 02:27 PM
SIMU went down at the same time (both DR and GS), so it is someone who has a grudge against the whole community (such as it is). I blame that Vanmar guy from DR. You know, the one who bought out the phareceutical company and raised the price of the AIDS drug by 750%? Apparently, he was a DR player, bought a high level character, went on a griefing rampage, got banned, bought the Smelly Cat forums (PC equivalent for DR) and ruined them, and such things.

LOL, Is this true?

Androidpk
10-12-2015, 02:28 PM
Yes and no. You can do it by renting out botnets, which is not too expensive. You can also do it by convincing a community (4chan, anonymous, etc...) that it should be done. Or you can do it by yourself, which does require some know-how and effort.

Botnets can be cheap but sustained attacks, especially ones at 10GBps are expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if the person has spent a few thousand dollars at least.

caelric
10-12-2015, 02:35 PM
Botnets can br cheap but sustained attacks, especially ones at 10GBps are expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if the person has spent a few thousand dollars at least.

That's probably a pretty good estimate as to the price spent.

Wrathbringer
10-12-2015, 02:36 PM
Everyone knows it's Candor.

mgoddess
10-12-2015, 02:49 PM
If you need any cash, let us know.
This.

Thanks for keeping us appraised of what's going on, Kranar, and for keeping the PC up as much as you have been able to.

Stretch
10-12-2015, 02:51 PM
Thanks Obama

sentral
10-12-2015, 04:11 PM
I'am reading you can get a hosted vbulletin solution for like 9 dollars a month, have we ever considered that option? I know it costs money.

Buckwheet
10-12-2015, 04:24 PM
I'am reading you can get a hosted vbulletin solution for like 9 dollars a month, have we ever considered that option? I know it costs money.

We already have that. Kranar signed up for that quite sometime ago. The current issue has nothing to do with the hosting change from 3 years ago. This is just pure DDoS attacks.

Whirlin
10-12-2015, 04:47 PM
That would be a DoS, which is much easier to defend against than a DDoS.
You can still disguise a DOS as a DDOS via proxies, IP spoofing, and other mechanisms. However, you're right, it would still be limited to one individual's upstream, and likely more easily counter-able than multiple people utilizing their entire connections towards the DOS... but then of course, that's DDOS.

Tgo01
10-12-2015, 04:53 PM
So many DDOS experts on here. I'm keeping a list of them all to hand over to the FBI.

Whirlin
10-12-2015, 04:54 PM
So many DDOS experts on here. I'm keeping a list of them all to hand over to the FBI.
I heard you imbedded a DOS attack to execute in the background of your scripts to knock down lich and simu servers!

Tgo01
10-12-2015, 04:57 PM
I heard you imbedded a DOS attack to execute in the background of your scripts to knock down lich and simu servers!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ppQHfroayqs/T1k3atK6SZI/AAAAAAAABXg/elRV0EIHHmY/s1600/1+curse.png

caelric
10-12-2015, 05:07 PM

I already work for the gubmint so it's okay

elcidcannon
10-12-2015, 05:33 PM
I blame that Vanmar guy from DR. You know, the one who bought out the phareceutical company and raised the price of the AIDS drug by 750%? Apparently, he was a DR player, bought a high level character, went on a griefing rampage, got banned, bought the Smelly Cat forums (PC equivalent for DR) and ruined them, and such things.

Is that really true??

Also, is there a link where we can donate to help out with Kranar's costs?

caelric
10-12-2015, 06:28 PM
Is that really true??

According to bubba, before he got fired, yes, it's true. He posted it on the forums. Solomon is not normally a reliable source, but it looks to be true in this case.

And yeah, how can we donate to the PC fund?

RAR
10-12-2015, 06:30 PM
I would think Simu would go after whoever might be doing it legally but i guess it's not that easy to find the culprit. The attacks probably don't even come from the US right? Maybe purchased by someone here but not originating here.

Androidpk
10-12-2015, 06:32 PM
I don't see how they'd be able to trace it back to the instigator.

Astray
10-12-2015, 06:34 PM
I would think Simu would go after whoever might be doing it legally but i guess it's not that easy to find the culprit. The attacks probably don't even come from the US right? Maybe purchased by someone here but not originating here.

That's the assumption that the person responsible know what they are doing.

I'm still under the assumption that this is just some moron who bought a program off of Lizard Squad.

Soulance
10-12-2015, 06:38 PM
Tgo! We need you to write some programing that not only blocks these attacks, but also sends a message back to the attacker telling them they hear the sound of a bowling ball heading towards pins and then a big STEEEEE-RIKE!

caelric
10-12-2015, 06:40 PM
Big corporations are struggling with the legalities and techniques of hacking back. SIMU? Hahahahahaha! Seriously, this is a huge issue in todays world, and miniture (not even big enough to be small) fry like SIMU have no real options without getting into heaps of trouble.

Hoodtralfeck
10-12-2015, 06:41 PM
i have no idea what DDOS is so i have no idea what this attack does or did , so i guess it dont apply to me

Androidpk
10-12-2015, 06:42 PM
Big corporations are struggling with the legalities and techniques of hacking back. SIMU? Hahahahahaha! Seriously, this is a huge issue in todays world, and miniture (not even big enough to be small) fry like SIMU have no real options without getting into heaps of trouble.

It's only going to continue to get worse as more and more internet connected items come online.

Soulance
10-12-2015, 06:44 PM
i have no idea what DDOS is so i have no idea what this attack does or did , so i guess it dont apply to me
I'm with you. Never even really heard of it until it happened here. I thought they were talking about the revenge of Dos 6.22!

Androidpk
10-12-2015, 06:50 PM
A simple explanation is that the host server gets spammed with so many requests that it gets overloaded and no one else can access the affected websites. In this case we are probably talking about thousands of computers attacking the server. Hackers infect computers with malware and turn them into a zombie of sorts. Then they rent these infected computers out to people who want to do shit like this.

Kranar
10-12-2015, 06:52 PM
I am very appreciative for all the offers to donate to maintain the site. Truth is that hosting the site isn't particularly expensive and at this time funding isn't an issue that we have to be worried about. The issue with DDOS protection isn't the cost, it's anticipating how many resources the attacker has access to and getting the right protection against that.

But at any rate, I really do appreciate the fact that many people have extended offers to donate and help out.

darkcipher
10-12-2015, 06:55 PM
No problem, Kranar, wish there was more we could do. Thanks for keeping up with the site and trying to stave off this asshole.

Tillmen
10-12-2015, 06:57 PM
So... once again the attacker initiated a DDOS attack against this website, and from what I gathered also attacked Lich as well.

I don't think Lich was attacked this time. Or at least I didn't notice if it was, which is entirely possible since I haven't been paying much attention.

It has actually been pretty quiet since Lich was moved to a new server, which is about the same time that the link to vote for gemstone on topmudsites came off of the LNet greeting message... Perhaps the proper response to these attacks is to sustain the number 1 position on topmudsites until the attacks stop. That'll learn 'em!

Winter
10-13-2015, 01:38 AM
I'm with you. Never even really heard of it until it happened here. I thought they were talking about the revenge of Dos 6.22!

I only know about them because they happend to me for a small period of time in 2012 while playing League of Legends, I have no idea how they managed to get my IP address but it changed a few times since then and what ever actions Riot took put a stop to it.

Luftstreitkräfte
10-13-2015, 11:26 AM
http://smelly-cat.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15346

if it's really Shkreli I wonder if any media outlets would run a story on it

Astray
10-13-2015, 11:30 AM
Send it in Luft, I'm sure Fox News would spin it into impending doom and somehow blame Obama for this.

Luftstreitkräfte
10-13-2015, 11:34 AM
I think they key is to figure out who Skhreli's online personality is through the DR forums, etc. I'm scanning through now..

lmfao found this pic.. I bet we could find tons of dirt on this guy.

http://smelly-cat.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13704&hilit=vanmar

Looks like Vanmar (Skhreli?) also owned Jhime for a time

looks like Bubba promised Jhime back to the player that sold him for 8k at a simucon, and the char was owned by Vanmar at the time (but was permabanned)

Just posted that shit up on twitter @martinskhreli with the pic lmfao

Latrinsorm
10-14-2015, 06:47 PM
I don't see how they'd be able to trace it back to the instigator.There's your problem right there, what you want to do is backtrace it.

Atlanteax
12-17-2015, 08:42 AM
Martin Shkreli was *arrested for fraud* today...

http://money.cnn.com/2015/12/17/news/companies/martin-shkreli-arrest-reports/index.html?iid=hp-toplead-dom

Pharmaceutical CEO Martin Shkreli, widely pilloried for jacking up the price of a drug used to treat AIDS patients, has been arrested on federal securities fraud charges, according to published reports.

The charges reportedly do not relate to Turing Pharmaceuticals, the company that raised the price of the drug Daraprim by more than 5,000%. Instead, they center on his time as CEO of Retrophin (RTRX), another biotech company that ousted him last year.

Retrophin has since sued him in federal court, seeking $65 million from him, accusing him of misusing the company's cash and stock. He has denied those charges.

caelric
12-17-2015, 10:29 AM
Occasionally, karma works. Usually not, but sometimes.