PDA

View Full Version : ELR

drauz
09-16-2015, 01:34 AM
So my main issue with the lore review (i think it's shared by a few people as well) is that a lot of the changes are a % chance for something to happen with the spell. To me it makes no sense from an IC perspective. I'll use 508 as my example. 5% chance at 25 ranks of earth lore to flare on a warding spell. If I have figured out how to get extra defense from a spell I cast then why wouldn't I do that all the time?

I would have liked to see 1 or 2 levels of benefits to the spells that were updated. First at 50 ranks and then at 150. This would allow for a mastery of sorts at 150 ranks, but still allow you a minor specialty. I would also like the benefits to be 100% of the time. So to use 508 again, maybe extra 5-10 TD @ 50 ranks and another 5-10 @ 150 ranks, but 100% of the time. These are just numbers off the top of my head and by no means should they be taken seriously. I'm sure they would have to be toned down to the benefits offered by the % chance to flare we were given. It seems like a small increase for a lot of training points but this would just be one spell.

Fallen
09-16-2015, 01:42 AM
I hear you.

With regards to the ELR, I think a lot of people are forgetting that it is going to take a buttload of lore in order to get Haste and Rapid Fire to a usable state. If you used these spells on a regular basis in the past, be prepared to go without or pony up the Air lore.

Taernath
09-16-2015, 01:58 AM
I'm meh on the ELR overall. There have been some decent changes but much of the rest is too high a seed or needlessly RNG.

Fallen
09-16-2015, 02:01 AM
I guess the value of the ELR somewhat depends on how you hunt. What are your main hunting spells, Drauz?

drauz
09-16-2015, 02:06 AM
Being a sorcerer, the lore review doesn't really effect me at all. I won't be training in those lores for ages. I might have thought about training in some if there was real benefit thru the 400 circle, but nothing really peaked my interest.

I mostly use 719, 711, and 702.

Tgo01
09-16-2015, 02:07 AM
Here is someone livestreaming playing a wizard with earth lore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3wOYdr9Z2c

drauz
09-16-2015, 02:09 AM
Here is someone livestreaming playing a wizard with earth lore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3wOYdr9Z2c

lmao, that was good.

Geralt
09-16-2015, 09:17 AM
Think the root cause is 2 fold. The developers were given a doctrine by upper management (who knows, perhaps Whatley himself) to slow the progression of players in terms of killing critters, which will slow the progression in XP/silvers (trains/gear) coupled with the fact that the developers view "easy quick kills" as something inherently "not fun". However, how SIMU managed to present this case to players was a nightmare, especially if they are saying there will be some form of compensation to the wizard class later through the ELR (although I'm still not seeing this).

Whirlin
09-16-2015, 09:38 AM
I had a long discussion with Wyrom last night. May post some more specific information, and a general open letter in Whirlin fashion later with key talking points from both sides.

Astray
09-16-2015, 09:41 AM
My biggest gripe with ELR was that retarded motherfucker trying to be funny. That shit was obnoxious.

Taernath
09-16-2015, 09:49 AM
My biggest gripe with ELR was that retarded motherfucker trying to be funny. That shit was obnoxious.

Are you the reason he started putting those passive aggressive disclaimers in the beginnings of his posts?

"I know not everyone likes these..."
"If you can't bear to read this the mechanics section is further down..."

Androidpk
09-16-2015, 09:50 AM
Are you the reason he started putting those passive aggressive disclaimers in the beginnings of his posts?

Allereli yelled at him :)

Astray
09-16-2015, 09:50 AM

No. Someone asked him after that watering his lawn bullshit to just jump to the mechanics. That and after a while he just got the hint that ELR was fucking floundering in the wizard area.

Methais
09-16-2015, 10:38 AM
The problem with the ELR is other than a few spells like 413, 415, and 518, it's pretty much garbage.

I don't know who looked at these changes and was like, "This will offset those nerfs!" but I'm pretty sure they were doing heroin at the time.

Astray
09-16-2015, 10:40 AM
The problem with the ELR is other than a few spells like 413, 415, and 518, it's pretty much garbage.

I don't know who looked at these changes and was like, "This will offset those nerfs!" but I'm pretty sure they were doing heroin at the time.

Just heroin?

Methais
09-16-2015, 10:54 AM
Just heroin?

That was just breakfast.

caelric
09-16-2015, 10:58 AM

I liked the lame attempts at humor. Most of the rest of the ELR was meh, but the new bolts were neat as was the 410/435 changes

Maerit
09-16-2015, 11:11 AM
They really needed to do a spell review instead of a lore review. It would have been so much nicer to focus on developing spells and integrating lores into that development effort than to have half of the equation with some minor lore improvements.

Did the lore changes make some improvements? Sure! Not a lot is really reliable, but I do enjoy a lot of the flavor that was added, and it makes my little wizard feel like he can become a true elementalist if so desired.

caelric
09-16-2015, 12:19 PM
They really needed to do a spell review instead of a lore review. It would have been so much nicer to focus on developing spells and integrating lores into that development effort than to have half of the equation with some minor lore improvements.

Did the lore changes make some improvements? Sure! Not a lot is really reliable, but I do enjoy a lot of the flavor that was added, and it makes my little wizard feel like he can become a true elementalist if so desired.

Huh. You said something that I completely agree with. Weird.

Allereli
09-16-2015, 12:50 PM
Allereli yelled at him :)

It was worth whatever hate rep I received. The difference in updating Unlock vs updating Elemental Saturation was night and day. Posts are here (https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elemental_lore_review_(saved_posts)#Unlock_.28407. 29).

Any feedback on what we're doing with the spell pages is welcome. Do people like the charts?

Also, the big lore chart will be completely rewritten in the next six months, so I thought the mini charts would help in the meantime. If someone really wants to take on the lore chart page before I rewrite, go ahead, but I'm going to rewrite it no matter what is added, I originally wrote it with very little wiki coding knowledge and on pain killers. The future chart will probably also integrate mana control benefits. Smaller charts will also go on each lore page, and I think some people have already made some that I'll ask to put on the respective pages.