PDA

View Full Version : Website Ad Disablers/Blockers?

Viekn
09-15-2015, 07:47 AM
So I visit a lot of news websites and the ads have become unbearable. I thought I've heard mention on PC before that some people use programs to disable or remove ads when they're browsing?

If so, let me know what has worked best for you.

I appreciate the help.

audioserf
09-15-2015, 07:50 AM
Get the AdBlock extension for Chrome. Does the trick wonderfully.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom?hl=en

Fallen
09-15-2015, 07:53 AM
If you don't use Chrome, there are similar extensions for Firefox too. I can't speak to Internet Explorer or Safari, though.

Androidpk
09-15-2015, 08:11 AM
Ublock Origin > adblock.

Androidpk
09-15-2015, 08:12 AM
https://www.maketecheasier.com/ublock-origin-better-than-adblock-plus/

Viekn
09-15-2015, 08:39 AM
Thanks everyone for the help. I went ahead and started using the AdBlock extension, NOT the AdBlock Plus, which is different extension/company entirely. I'll monitor to see how it performs and take a look at the uBlock if it doesn't hold up. Looks like the main complaint of AdBlock Plus was that they took money to allow some ads through, hence the need for uBlock, but the AdBlock extension doesn't seem to accept money from advertisers either.

I also just changed my plug-in settings so that videos don't auto play either. Was stick and tired of CNN auto-playing a video every time I wanted to read an article.

Much better experience so far, thanks everyone for the help.

subzero
09-16-2015, 07:45 PM
Thanks everyone for the help. I went ahead and started using the AdBlock extension, NOT the AdBlock Plus, which is different extension/company entirely. I'll monitor to see how it performs and take a look at the uBlock if it doesn't hold up. Looks like the main complaint of AdBlock Plus was that they took money to allow some ads through, hence the need for uBlock, but the AdBlock extension doesn't seem to accept money from advertisers either.

I also just changed my plug-in settings so that videos don't auto play either. Was stick and tired of CNN auto-playing a video every time I wanted to read an article.

Much better experience so far, thanks everyone for the help.

AdBlock Plus works fine for me. Toss in a little No-Script and RIP (Remove it Permanently) and you're good to go. If you use Firefox. No-Script is great for places like ESPN that sometimes will have more than one video on a page or god forbid you open multiple tabs. Your goddamn videos will play when and IF I want them to!