PDA

View Full Version : Platinum

StrayRogue
09-06-2003, 06:39 PM
After reading about the decline of this off-shoot of GS, I was just wondering as to why and how this has happened. Purely curious.

Bobmuhthol
09-06-2003, 06:39 PM
It sucks.

StrayRogue
09-06-2003, 06:40 PM
You really feel the need to have the most posts don't you Bob? Sad.

Tsa`ah
09-06-2003, 06:41 PM
Where's Beth and her picture?

Trinitis
09-06-2003, 06:42 PM
Well, while I was in plat..I did get involved into some RP..but from what I saw...

1. The RP's tend to stick to set people. If your not "invited" into it..you normally get ignored.

2. Once invited..you have no choice but to be involved...even if you did not want to be invited.

3. The good RP'ers (in my mind) are the quiet people in plat..Now, don't get me wrong, because I actually liked a lot of people in plat..if not all of them. But some of the RP is hokey.

4. The best RP time I had was with a young sylvan I met in the park in plat. She was such a fresh breath to RP with. Very quiet, very reserved..and extreamly polite (all RP'ed of course.) I'm sorry I had to leave plat..I actually enjoyed RP'ing our "connection" in game.

-Adredrin (AKA Trinitis in plat)

[Edited on 9-6-2003 by LordAdredrin]

Weedmage Princess
09-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Actually, over the past month, there have been quite a few new faces in Plat. I can't say for certain that these aren't people who already had Plat accounts and just rolled up new characters, but I don't think so.

By the way, out of curiousity...Bob, have you ever tried Plat?

09-06-2003, 06:46 PM
DR Plat is worth the money.

GS Plat is more money to drop your weapon and shield when you die and not get rescued.

Betheny
09-06-2003, 06:49 PM
FOR YOU, TSA'AH!

Weedmage Princess
09-06-2003, 06:50 PM
I hated DR when I tried it.

Trinitis
09-06-2003, 06:53 PM
I've not tried DR yet..but I did give Modus a try..and I actually liked that game. The repitition got a little old..but the extream lack of "bad" people in that game made it a blast..in the first day, me and some friends had set up camp and started making a full fledge "thug Gang"

-Adredrin

[Edited on 9-6-2003 by LordAdredrin]

09-06-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Weedmage Princess
I hated DR when I tried it.

DR is more complex and more involved than GemStone III. The advancement system is logical, unlike GemStone.

In GS, you hunt with your sword and somehow get better at your magic, hiding, stalking, stealing, skinning, climbing, swimming and other stuff.

In DR, you have to practice what you want to get better at.

Low-level spells can be extremely devastating if the caster has high magic ranks and pumps a lot of mana into it.

There's an engagement system and the justice system is better fleshed out... essentially, DR is like GS4 will be, minus the logical advancement (GS is sticking to hunt for everything).

Honestly, DR is just *better* than GS3 systemwise. Hopefully GS4 will put us back on par with them.

If DR is better though, you may ask... why am I here?

Well, DR is mechanically superior... but the people in DR are rather void of personality typically and just seem less "alive" than in GS. Which is why I adore DR Plat, it had the mechanics of DR with GS like people.

Unfortunately, some of the people are really stupid (just like GS!). And in DR Plat, 3 stupid people can ruin all your fun. :(

StrayRogue
09-06-2003, 07:02 PM
Please Klaive, fuck off back to DR.

Weedmage Princess
09-06-2003, 07:03 PM
If only those people who ran you out of DR played Gem *sigh* : P

Trinitis
09-06-2003, 07:03 PM
everything sounds nice there, cept the engagement system, there seems so many flaws with that..like any self made mage would EVER let soemthing get close to them..thats why they can cast and move at the same time ;)

-Adredrin

09-06-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by LordAdredrin
everything sounds nice there, cept the engagement system, there seems so many flaws with that..like any self made mage would EVER let soemthing get close to them..thats why they can cast and move at the same time ;)

-Adredrin

That's the beautiful part. As a mage, you can hang back and avoid being attacked.

09-06-2003, 07:10 PM

They didn't so much run me out of plat. They made me sick and started a flame war. I waged it with them and won, as they ended up leaving the lands forever.

Over the next couple of months, new people started coming in and my friends were around less and less due to school and work. People who had been their friends before they left blamed me for making them leave and basically ignored me.

Halo had been sick and had recently had a grandson, so she wasn't around to make things fun... and I just ended up losing interest in paying so much just to be annoyed and bored every time I logged in.

Trinitis
09-06-2003, 07:10 PM
ahh..so you can actually turn off the engagement? Hrm..interesting..

-Adredrin

StrayRogue
09-06-2003, 07:11 PM

I wish that too.

Trinitis
09-06-2003, 07:13 PM
now now, lets get this back to plat..I'm still waiting for some type of small list of "good RP'ers" from plat...I just wanna see who people fancy as RP'ers is all. Heck, make a list for Prime too, I'm all ears.

-Adredrin

StrayRogue
09-06-2003, 07:14 PM
Good rpers are very frequent in Prime, but as Weedmage has said, there are also zounds of idiots as well.

HarmNone
09-06-2003, 07:19 PM
There are many good-to-excellent RPers in both Platinum and Prime. However, they are so outnumbered by the outright jackasses that they can be very hard to find. Some, I know, are still around and still trying hard to keep the flag aloft, so to speak.

HarmNone

Trinitis
09-06-2003, 07:20 PM
well duh, I know that.. I want lists..I wanna see who people like as RP'ers..I have no plans to harp or anything..I'm just simply curious..Heck, I'll start.

Naessi - Family in game, I know..but she sticks to her RP well.

Sheka - Nothing like a good bad person to rile up everyone..adds spice.

Trapi - She was always a blast..and a great partner in crime :D

Armaxis - I know a lot of people bicker with me about this choice..but he was the first person in game I ever met that actually INSPIRED fear into me. Plus..I loved pissin him off...Army-poo! ::cackles::

Ilvane - She was actually that nice gal I used to *search* out for a calm, RPish chat..nothing earthshaking..just, happy chatting at a table.

Sepher - In game, this guy is a blast..out of game, he is even more fun!

Rizzenn - I dono why..because my interaction with him was fairly limited..but when ever I think of people I enjoyed being around in game..his name pops up.

I'm sure there more..and I'll think of them..

-Adredrin

Weedmage Princess
09-06-2003, 07:24 PM
<points up> What Stray and Harm None said.

It's not even that people--well one minute, let me just speak for me--it's not even that I'm looking for a bunch of "outstanding" role players. I just hate dealing with the morons who think Gem is a chat room with little avatars as opposed to a roleplaying game.

HarmNone
09-06-2003, 07:24 PM
If you ever see Silvean or Lylia log in, Adredrin, run do not walk to wherever they might be.

HarmNone

StrayRogue
09-06-2003, 07:25 PM
You still Online RP then Harm? I wouldn't say we are totally outnumbered, but the numbers are growing. Its down to lack of GM policing, or greed.

Weedmage Princess
09-06-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
You still Online RP then Harm? I wouldn't say we are totally outnumbered, but the numbers are growing. Its down to lack of GM policing, or greed.

I honestly believe that's what Prime will never improve, really. I don't think the GMs care that much, and why? Because Prime being the way it is..is what they use to market Plat. If you pay more, you get more....if that makes any sense...

HarmNone
09-06-2003, 07:27 PM
I am currently between games, Stray. I prefer the roleplay required games to those who take a more lax stand. Right now, I am seeking. When I find what I seek, I will settle for awhile.

Oh, and Adredrin...Boomsplat in prime, as well!

HarmNone

StrayRogue
09-06-2003, 07:28 PM
Makes perfect sense. I tried Plat a few months back. I didn't like it. I've also come to accept the retards in Prime alot more recently, especially now I often keep myself from the masses. I stick to my own, as it were. I don't constantly hang out in TC being a shit, like some do.

Trinitis
09-06-2003, 07:31 PM
I've been around Boomsplat, and I do like him. Adredrin has never been around him, but some alts have. The other two, I don't think I've ever met.

-Adredrin

HarmNone
09-06-2003, 07:32 PM
It's not even that people--well one minute, let me just speak for me--it's not even that I'm looking for a bunch of "outstanding" role players. I just hate dealing with the morons who think Gem is a chat room with little avatars as opposed to a roleplaying game.

That is exactly what drove me from GemStone3. I lost patience with it, and could not regain that patience.

I do not blame the GMs. They are outnumbered. They cannot be everywhere, and their jobs are formidable. Also, Simutronics is a business. The purpose of any business is to make money. The kiddies outnumber the roleplayers, so the game has adjusted to fit their wishes and needs. It was inevitable.

HarmNone

Trinitis
09-06-2003, 07:40 PM
I dono if I'll ever be DRIVEN from GS. I'm one of those people who *normally* let stuff slide right off me. The only MAJOR conflict I've ever had in GS involved people with lots (and I mean lots..) of levels abusing their powers to make people act the way they want them to.

-Adredrin

Kurili
09-07-2003, 06:30 AM
dono if I'll ever be DRIVEN from GS. I'm one of those people who *normally* let stuff slide right off me. The only MAJOR conflict I've ever had in GS involved people with lots (and I mean lots..) of levels abusing their powers to make people act the way they want them to.

Yes. And generally nothing is done about it, agreed? At least in Prime. one can avoid someone they'd rather not have to deal with. and I am relearning the fine art of selective blindness and deafness to the idiocy there. If it bothers me too much, I go elsewhere.

Acolyte Kurili

DCSL
09-07-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by HarmNone
If you ever see Silvean or Lylia log in, Adredrin, run do not walk to wherever they might be.

HarmNone

I loved them... Lylia totally inspired me to roll up Lysistrata and have her join House Chesylcha. But... shit happens.

You probably don't have the latest news, heh, but they've been out of the game for months, maybe a year. Silvean came back for a little itty bitty while then disappeared without a trace, effectively neutering House Chesylcha AGAIN.

I love 'em but... they screwed my favorite in-game House.

StrayRogue
09-07-2003, 02:00 PM
Yeah Silvean was back for a while, even went about rebuilding the house with alot of discussions and activities held. Then went AWOL. Again.

HarmNone
09-07-2003, 03:51 PM
It is sad to think of Elanthia without Silvean and Lylia. They were a light in the growing darkness, to me. I am sorry those who play now will not have the pleasure of watching it "done right".

HarmNone

StrayRogue
09-07-2003, 03:57 PM
Hmmm, you low view is a bit disturbing HN. There are still some great Rpers. Mainly in Solhaven and such, but they are scattered about the lands. Just stay away from the Centre of all the towns (except maybe Sol) and you will probably do OK.

Warriorbird
09-29-2003, 11:06 PM
Silvean's legacy doesn't seem to be as much RP as it does appearing then vanishing a lot.

draconis nematoda
09-29-2003, 11:33 PM
What does all this have to do with Plat?

Ray

Warriorbird
09-30-2003, 11:40 AM
Not much. We could talk about Plat, but I don't know if folks'd like it.

Adhara
09-30-2003, 06:41 PM
I wasn't impressed with Silvean's RP at all. In fact, I was very disappointed. When someone has such a big RP'er reputation I guess you expect a lot. At first I figured I just caught him on a bad day but I did see him many days in a row for a while... Maybe it was a bad week? I think he vanished (again) shortly after.

Warriorbird
10-02-2003, 10:24 AM
Yah. Lotsa people rated so highly in the past because there was nothing better to compare them to.

Now, to talk about Plat.

Khaladon's great. I just wish the players lived up to his caliber. They're nice and all, if you make an effort to fit into the paradigm, but it isn't as though they actually forward much in the way of decent RP. The community in Prime is so much larger, so one can find a lot more folks that jive with one's RP style. Plat is just so limited, in turn. You'd hope in that environment that the RPers would be all something astounding....something great....but instead of being some vast haven of interesting stuff...they just sort've favor the "sit back and wait for it" style of RP, where a GM has to feed them everything and nothing that the GMs do really interests them either. Rather than being insanely groovy its all just sort of a boring kind of IC.