PDA

View Full Version : Simucoins and the BANK Update: What the fucking fuck?

GoingGone
09-03-2015, 12:14 AM
There are entire guilds unfinished. Regions of the game. Class spell lists. The Savant class. Actual balance issues that need addressing.

But no.

We needed a pay-real-cash way to not have to walk to the fucking bank, or God Forbid take money with us when we move to a new town that's an unrealistic quick trip for non-Premium members.

This is the shit they spend their programmers energy on. Why? Because that's what this game is now, apparently. I don't know why this does it for me, but it really sets me off as the pinnacle of Simutronics saying "fuck it, we don't care if the game is good, we just want to give you stupid shit to spend money on because enough of you WILL that we don't have to care about the game itself anymore". For how many YEARS do things need to go unfinished before they arbitrarily decide "Ok, now THAT."

Could it justifiably something a 'new' programmer not prepared for these larger tasks can cut their teeth on? Maybe, but I'd rather they keep getting trained and work their way up to something that matters. Is it just me? I'm an asshole, so this could just be some dumb thing to get a bug up my ass about, but it REALLY feels like they just don't give a shit anymore because they found their cash cow. Why make a game good so you have more subscriptions, when you can make something you can nickle-and-dime the dumb or lazy with and make just as much money.

By no way am I trying to say here that my word is law or if you use these services are you an idiot - Ok, MOST of the people using some of these services are just lazy idiots contributing to the problem, but I can acknowledge there are likely people that have a legitimate reason to use them for reasons I don't know or actually care about.

Tgo01
09-03-2015, 12:17 AM
I kind of agree with your rage. I'm not quite as upset about it as your avatar is though.

When I read about the BANK verb I was all giddy like a school girl. I found out I had like 10 in the Landing bank (I'm in Icemule) and I was like "Oh cool, let's just merge my bank accounts together. WOOT!" But then the game is like "HAHA! SUCKER! Gotta buy something from the SimuCoin store to use this feature!"

It's like for fuck's sake, just give us *something* that doesn't require a damned SimuCoin item.

Ah well. At least the BANK verb is free. We already had ;banks via lich but sometimes I've noticed the settings get reset on that.

Fallen
09-03-2015, 12:19 AM
Well, it said you can win the service while hunting. I'm not arguing against any of your points, but if you wait long enough you'll be able to move your coins around for free if you want. I barely hunted on a starter character I was messing around with and got an Urchin pass. Shouldn't be too hard to accrue those things for constant players.

EDIT: Err, i'm wrong. Inter-town balance transfers will NOT be found in the treasure system according to the release document. My bad.

Astray
09-03-2015, 12:20 AM
Savants, coming to the Simucoin Store in 2060!

Candor
09-03-2015, 12:33 AM
Based on the announcement, I don't get the impression that this addition involved a huge amount of programming hours. It does mean that bankbooks no longer have a purpose (and weren't bankbooks a premium item?).

Taernath
09-03-2015, 12:33 AM
Someone mind explaining what makes the bank verb particularly rage worthy?

Tgo01
09-03-2015, 12:35 AM

I think it's just the addition of yet more SimuCoin shit.

Astray
09-03-2015, 12:40 AM

Effort going to micro-transactions and not actual progression towards something worthwhile. I'll agree with Candor and second the notion that this probably didn't take long, but still, that amount of time may have gone towards things people actually want, and not "Hey, you're paying a subscription but throw more money into the well for services".

GoingGone
09-03-2015, 12:41 AM
Yep. More Simucoin shit. More of a focus on "quick cash" than actual game development. The game slips further and further into "pay to win", starting off with innocent seeming fluff useless bullshit like this.

Astray
09-03-2015, 12:41 AM
slips further and further into "pay to win"

You had me until this.

Taernath
09-03-2015, 12:44 AM
You had me until this.

Yeah, GS has always been pay to win. Simu has just become more obvious about it in the last few years.

Astray
09-03-2015, 12:48 AM
Yeah, GS has always been pay to win. Simu has just become more obvious about it in the last few years.

I think things spiraled out with Duskruin. The other events were fairly tame and didn't hand out absurd amounts of enhancives. Though there's not much "winning" involved? At least to me. Like, there isn't a PvP scene or even a local tournament that gives prizes every month.

Androidpk
09-03-2015, 12:49 AM
Damn them for trying to make money! Also, have you not noticed all the changes and updates we have been getting in recent years? This current group of GMs are kicking ass.

Candor
09-03-2015, 12:50 AM
Yeah, GS has always been pay to win.

Win what? How do you "win" GS?

Astray
09-03-2015, 12:52 AM
Damn them for trying to make money!

The subscription isn't enough? Really? That's what we're going with?

Also, have you not noticed all the changes and updates we have been getting in recent years? This current group of GMs are kicking ass.

No doubt.

Q. Are you Candor?
A. No.

You are winning GS.

Tgo01

You're never going to win GS with that attitude.

Androidpk
The subscription isn't enough? Really? That's what we're going with?

No doubt.

Yes.

Astray
09-03-2015, 12:55 AM
Yes.

I guess all those people running Duskruin were doing it all for free.

Carsyn
09-03-2015, 12:59 AM
<<Damn them for trying to make money! Also, have you not noticed all the changes and updates we have been getting in recent years? This current group of GMs are kicking ass.>>

+1. The amount of work that has gone into this game in the past few years is extremely impressive. And a big part of that, no doubt, is the SimuCoin store is doing gangbusters. I also think the money from there helped getting the F2P accounts open, which is bringing much needed players to the game.

Good for them, and good for me as a player as far as I'm concerned.

There's nothing in the SimuCoin store that is necessary to cap. As a matter of fact, there's no reason you can't cap with a basic subscription and never invest a dollar more.

Taernath
09-03-2015, 12:59 AM
How many 10x swords of doom have been released outside of paid events?

+1. The amount of work that has gone into this game in the past few years is extremely impressive. And a big part of that, no doubt, is the SimuCoin store is doing gangbusters. I also think the money from there helped getting the F2P accounts open, which is bringing much needed players to the game.

Doubtful. The money GS makes isn't re-invested in the game. There are only a handful of people involved with GS that draw a salary, most GMs make beer money or are volunteers.

Candor
09-03-2015, 01:03 AM
Q. Are you Candor?
A. No.
Q. Are you a scum sucking AFK scripter out to harvest hundreds of millions of silvers to line your pockets with as much cash as you can without regard to how it might affect the game?
A. No.
Q. Do you actually enjoy playing GS?
A. Yes

You are winning GS.

Tgo01
09-03-2015, 01:08 AM
Q. Are you Candor?
A. No.
Q. Are you a scum sucking AFK scripter out to harvest hundreds of millions of silvers to line your pockets with as much cash as you can without regard to how it might affect the game?
A. No.
A. Yes

You are winning GS.

Q. Do you pay to play GS?
A. Yes.

Therefore you are paying to win.

BOOM! Headshot.

SHAFT
09-03-2015, 01:30 AM
The store and coins might just keep gemstone around a bit longer. The only thing in the store I feel I have to have is the enc pots. Keeping gemstone/simu alive is more important than savants. Despite what methais says.

GS4Pirate
09-03-2015, 03:40 AM
Q. Are you Candor?
A. No.
A. No.
A. Yes

You are winning GS.

Only Simu should be able to line their pockets? GTFO

Alashir
09-03-2015, 04:27 AM
It needs commas.

Neovik1
09-03-2015, 07:53 AM
What other game is Simu making money off of outside of Gemstone and Dragonrealms? I don't approve of all these money grabs on things... But I also don't see how they can keep the company running with these two games alone. Of course they probably have money in the bank from selling the Hero engine... But how long will that last?

At Duskruin I didn't have to buy with cash if I didn't want to. I was able to pay in game money at a reasonable price to run the arena or sewers and still made coin selling bloodscrip at a very low value.

Taernath
09-03-2015, 08:13 AM
What other game is Simu making money off of outside of Gemstone and Dragonrealms? I don't approve of all these money grabs on things... But I also don't see how they can keep the company running with these two games alone. Of course they probably have money in the bank from selling the Hero engine... But how long will that last?

At Duskruin I didn't have to buy with cash if I didn't want to. I was able to pay in game money at a reasonable price to run the arena or sewers and still made coin selling bloodscrip at a very low value.

Hero Engine licensing is probably the big one. They also have a few mobile games.

At any rate, I doubt Simu is in danger of going under short of forcing another Dragons of Elanthia or driving away their player base. If there were something on the horizon, I think we would see it in H&X, Modus, or Cyberstrike 2 first.

Soulance
09-03-2015, 08:52 AM
(and weren't bankbooks a premium item?).
This is the part that kind of irked me a bit. You pay quite a bit more to have this "feature" in premium and now it's given away with basic sub/Simucoins. Be nice if they came out with something a little extra for Premies then to compensate.

Soulance
09-03-2015, 08:55 AM
Hero Engine licensing is probably the big one. They also have a few mobile games.

At any rate, I doubt Simu is in danger of going under short of forcing another Dragons of Elanthia or driving away their player base. If there were something on the horizon, I think we would see it in H&X, Modus, or Cyberstrike 2 first.
They just released the HUGE game of Tomb Raider on Android!!! Leave it to Simu to be behind the times thinking that'd be a good addition.

Taernath
09-03-2015, 09:05 AM
They just released the HUGE game of Tomb Raider on Android!!! Leave it to Simu to be behind the times thinking that'd be a good addition.

lol, yeah, I saw that. It's a reskin of One Epic Knight.

The money Simu MUDs make is funneled into mobile games or new IP ventures.

Whirlin
09-03-2015, 09:07 AM
This is the part that kind of irked me a bit. You pay quite a bit more to have this "feature" in premium and now it's given away with basic sub/Simucoins. Be nice if they came out with something a little extra for Premies then to compensate.

We have our super overpowered spell of the month items now... ... ... That I haven't checked for spells in the last 5 months or so

darkcipher
09-03-2015, 09:34 AM
We have our super overpowered spell of the month items now... ... ... That I haven't checked for spells in the last 5 months or so

Last month was bone shatter, once a day, whee!

darkcipher
09-03-2015, 09:36 AM
Don't forget the manifests, which are useless now... can regular subs use the locker manifest verb, or is that just premium?

Neovik1
09-03-2015, 09:39 AM
Doesn't Whatley develop his own mobile games and sell them outside of Simu under his own company name? Geo defense or something?

Kind of a dick move when you are president of a game development company if that's true. Maybe it would be ok if the company you managed wasn't dependant on a game from the 80s.

Soulance
09-03-2015, 10:26 AM
We do? I totally forgot about that one. :no: How do you check?

Taernath
09-03-2015, 10:33 AM
We do? I totally forgot about that one. :no: How do you check?

I suppose the officials, but there be dragons. Google doesn't return anything.

I got one of the items today from the edifice in Mist Harbor but activated it in a no magic area so now I gotta wait to find out what OP spell we got. Wiki says you should be able to look at it, but it just says it has a "soft blue glow".

Soulance
09-03-2015, 10:44 AM
it has a "soft blue glow". Sounds like the game winning 101 spell!

caelric
09-03-2015, 10:52 AM
<<Damn them for trying to make money! Also, have you not noticed all the changes and updates we have been getting in recent years? This current group of GMs are kicking ass.>>

Good for them, and good for me as a player as far as I'm concerned.

There's nothing in the SimuCoin store that is necessary to cap. As a matter of fact, there's no reason you can't cap with a basic subscription and never invest a dollar more.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Savants actually did get released in the next year or two, given the amount of development going on. Not saying they will be good, but they will likely be released.

Fallen
09-03-2015, 11:03 AM
- In-town silver or bank note deliveries to and from your local bank account. This brand new function, accessible through the BANK DEPOSIT and BANK WITHDRAW commands, allows players to send a courier to either deposit or withdraw funds from their local bank account. This function is available in any town where the player has a bank account and is within the courier's limits (wherever the justice system patrols). Access to this service can be purchased via the SimuCoins store or be awarded from the treasure system.

- Inter-town balance transfers. This new function, accessible through the BANK TRANSFER command, allows players to send a courier to request that silver in their bank account in one town be transferred to their bank account in their current town. Access to this service can be purchased via the SimuCoins store.

I think premium members should get 1 of both of these free a month.

wizgem3
09-03-2015, 11:10 AM
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Savants actually did get released in the next year or two, given the amount of development going on. Not saying they will be good, but they will likely be released.

Get access to the Savant classs. Only 10,000 SIMUCOINS

Silvean
09-03-2015, 11:11 AM
I've been hunting a fair bit lately and have about 100 of those urchin passes for getting something out of the locker or bank when in town. I've never used one.

Silvean
09-03-2015, 11:12 AM

Well, I think they're soured on Kickstarter because they made some bad mistakes with that dragon riding game but I could see a Gemstone-focused Kickstarter working for certain development goals.

Astray
09-03-2015, 11:13 AM

10,000?! You trying to bankrupt Simutronics? They already made a F2P model! HOW MUCH MORE BLOOD CAN YOU SEIZE FROM THE STONE YOU MONSTER!?//1!/1!?

caelric
09-03-2015, 11:14 AM
Well, I think they're soured on Kickstarter because they made some bad mistakes with that dragon riding game but I could see a Gemstone-focused Kickstarter working for certain development goals.

That would be hilarious.

Astray
09-03-2015, 11:16 AM

At the $1,000,000 mark, you'll get TWO variants of the Giggle verb.

Taernath
09-03-2015, 11:18 AM

Don't encourage Simu. Our sub fees (plus events and whatever else) should be enough to cover development costs. The issue is one of priorities, and it won't be solved by throwing money at them.

caelric
09-03-2015, 11:18 AM
Side note: it blew my mind when they sold the personal property for a billion simucoins, or whatever it was.

Silvean
09-03-2015, 11:23 AM
Don't encourage them. The Gemstone kickstarter money should be our sub fees.

Or, at least, the money they've pulled in off of Duskruin.

Astray
09-03-2015, 11:29 AM
Don't encourage Simu. Our sub fees (plus events and whatever else) should be enough to cover development costs. The issue is one of priorities, and it won't be solved by throwing money at them.

It should be MORE than enough to cover development costs. It's a MUD, it can't be that developer intensive these days.

Silvean
09-03-2015, 11:35 AM
I'm not sure they properly incentivize their developers but there's so much being done right now that it's not worth going over the old arguments. I'm going to watch and see how HSN ends up.

Taernath
09-03-2015, 11:43 AM
I'm not sure they properly incentivize their developers but there's so much being done right now that it's not worth going over the old arguments. I'm going to watch and see how HSN ends up.

http://www.troll.me/images/architect/this-is-the-millionth-time-we-have-successfully-created-this-thread-and-we-have-become-exceedingly-efficient-at-it.jpg

True. I'd love to be a fly on the wall during their earnings meetings.

Astray
09-03-2015, 11:47 AM
HSN is now known to Wizards as "HOLY SHIT NEW" and then they get cut off when they read the changes. Then HSN becomes "Holy shit no".

subzero
09-03-2015, 12:09 PM

I want some of what you're on!

They're making progress toward reducing the cost of premium subscriptions! <Caelric shared :thumbup:>

Soulance
09-03-2015, 12:35 PM
They're making progress toward reducing the cost of premium subscriptions! <Caelric shared :thumbup:>
Wait...Really?? :spaz:

Lord Orbstar
09-03-2015, 12:52 PM
Yes.

no shit. it is a company. Not your fucking friend. they are here to provide a service and make a profit and hopefully all their employees become rich one day. Because they are a company and not your fucking buddy. Subscription obvciously is NOT enough with the low base. You artsy left brain using commie fuck. Your lack of understanding of basic business principles and life disgust me almost as much as the whiney stupid bitch original poster. Channel your nerd rages and ignorance into other endeavors that may one day make you too successful. Bitches.

Lord Orbstar
09-03-2015, 12:53 PM
and that was not directed at APK, but rather the cum guzzling gutter whore that he was replying to.

Astray
09-03-2015, 12:56 PM
and that was not directed at APK, but rather the cum guzzling gutter whore that he was replying to.

Me? Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or some shit?

Tgo01
09-03-2015, 01:00 PM
hopefully all their employees become rich one day.

Subscription obvciously is NOT enough with the low base.

You a funny man.

Astray
09-03-2015, 01:08 PM
You a funny man.

Right? Like, what even was that? Though this is gold right here.

You artsy left brain using commie fuck.

Silvean
09-03-2015, 01:12 PM
Funniest thing I've seen on the PC in a while.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/174152.jpg

darkcipher
09-03-2015, 01:15 PM
Guys, quit being commie fucks.

Astray
09-03-2015, 01:16 PM
Guys, quit being commie fucks.

Artsy ones at that.

subzero
09-03-2015, 01:25 PM
Wait...Really?? :spaz:

Hah... no. If you look at that whole post, I was saying that Caelric had been smoking some good shit that made him say somethin crazy. Then I said they were working towards lowering prices... and that Caelric had shared his goodies with me.

Lord Orbstar
09-03-2015, 01:33 PM
I was just having fun. 😍

Astray
09-03-2015, 01:34 PM
I was just having fun. ��

Kay.

Ceyrin
09-03-2015, 01:37 PM
ILike, there isn't a PvP scene or even a local tournament that gives prizes every month.

There's Talondown... and it gives prizes every week.

Astray
09-03-2015, 01:39 PM
There's Talondown... and it gives prizes every week.

You mean the Spirit Beast thing, right?

Ceyrin
09-03-2015, 01:49 PM
You mean the Spirit Beast thing, right?

I do. The actual purpose of Talondown... as it turns out.

As a side note, money and time aren't the issue regarding Gemstone development. They have had access to talented and motivated people for years who turn in applications to GM and are subsequently ignored. I'll leave you all to speculate as to why that is.

darkcipher
09-03-2015, 02:03 PM
I do. The actual purpose of Talondown... as it turns out.

As a side note, money and time aren't the issue regarding Gemstone development. They have had access to talented and motivated people for years who turn in applications to GM and are subsequently ignored. I'll leave you all to speculate as to why that is.

Because they're commie fucks?

Luftstreitkräfte
09-03-2015, 02:20 PM
no shit. it is a company. Not your fucking friend. they are here to provide a service and make a profit and hopefully all their employees become rich one day. Because they are a company and not your fucking buddy. Subscription obvciously is NOT enough with the low base. You artsy left brain using commie fuck. Your lack of understanding of basic business principles and life disgust me almost as much as the whiney stupid bitch original poster. Channel your nerd rages and ignorance into other endeavors that may one day make you too successful. Bitches.

i cummed in my pants when i read this

Neovik1
09-03-2015, 03:56 PM
Unless you really kiss their ass don't expect them to look at your applications.