PDA

View Full Version : Correlation between taxes and party?

Parkbandit
10-26-2004, 01:49 PM
All I can say is.. wow. I never noticed this before.

Comparing 2002 Census information regarding taxes and the 2004 state's party affiliation (current polls)... there is a direct correlation between taxes and party.

Of the highest tax paying states (top 10).. 7 are Democratic, 1 is Republican and 2 are too close to call.

Of the lowest tax paying states (bottom 10) 8 are Republican and 2 are too close to call.

Lowest Democratic state is #17 Vermont. Highest Republican state is #7 Wyoming.

Most of the undecided states lie in the middle (Penn #21, Florida #34, Ohio 18)

Back
10-26-2004, 01:52 PM
Mind posting a list from most taxes paid to least. This is interesting.

Edaarin
10-26-2004, 02:04 PM
I'd rather pay more taxes than live further south...

xtc
10-26-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Edaarin
I'd rather pay more taxes than live further south...

Vote repub and u won't have to move

Edaarin
10-26-2004, 02:09 PM
Frankly, I don't affiliate myself with either party. I find that on a lot of the issues regarding budgeting or money in general I'm more aligned toward the conservative end, and for moral issues I'm somewhat more in the liberal end. Blame it on having a conscience and liking money.

Tsa`ah
10-26-2004, 02:09 PM
Also compare said list to educational rankings, health care rankings, welfare rankings, and unemployment rankings.

I'm not suggesting results, just suggesting results of a comparison would be interesting.

Parkbandit
10-26-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Backlash
Mind posting a list from most taxes paid to least. This is interesting.

I can try.. hope this works out:

Rank State Party Taxes Rank State Party Taxes
1 NEW YORK D $4,645 26 Iowa Party 2,837
2 Connecticut D 4,373 27 New Hampshire $2,825
3 New Jersey D 4,038 28 Georgia R 2,816
4 Massachusetts D 3,721 29 Indiana R 2,759
5 Minnesota 3,673 30 North Dakota R 2,727
6 Maryland D 3,646 31 Louisiana R 2,722
7 Wyoming R 3,644 32 North Carolina R 2,718
8 Maine D 3,507 33 Texas R 2,713
9 California D 3,440 34 Florida 2,686
10 Wisconsin 3,421 35 Missouri 2,667
11 Hawaii D 3,416 36 Arizona R 2,650
12 Rhode Island D 3,392 37 Kentucky R 2,636
13 Delaware D 3,334 38 New Mexico 2,634
14 Illinois D 3,303 39 Utah R 2,599
15 Alaska R 3,229 40 West Virginia 2,571
16 Washington 3,216 41 Oregon 2,558
17 Vermont D 3,190 42 Oklahoma R 2,516
18 Ohio 3,170 43 Idaho R 2,451
19 Colorado R 3,088 44 South Dakota R 2,423
20 Nebraska R 3,077 45 Arkansas 2,387
21 Pennsylvania 3,052 46 South Carolina R 2,376
22 Michigan 3,051 47 Montana R 2,346
23 Virginia R 3,037 48 Mississippi R 2,275
24 Nevada 2,968 49 Tennessee R 2,241
25 Kansas 2,941 50 Alabama R 2,170

Edited to add - It doesn't work too well to go from a spreadsheet to a posting here. You can see the ranks, the state, the party affiliation and the amount of taxes each person per state paid in 2002.

CrystalTears
10-26-2004, 02:12 PM
Holy shit, dude! CT is number 2! <faints>

Edaarin
10-26-2004, 02:13 PM
They don't welcome my kind in the following states anyway.

Alabama (50)
Tennesse (49)
Mississippi (48)
S. Carolina (46)
Arkansas (45)
W. Virginia (40)
Kentucky (37)
Missouri (35)

Parkbandit
10-26-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Tsa`ah
Also compare said list to educational rankings, health care rankings, welfare rankings, and unemployment rankings.

I'm not suggesting results, just suggesting results of a comparison would be interesting.

Tsa`ah.. it's not like I sat there and tried to find out what I could compare the state's party affiliation to whatever would shine the worse light on the Democrats. I simply posted in another thread that I paid taxes out the ass in Conn. and that it's not surprising that it's solidly Democratic. I did a quick look up of the state/local taxes per state and compared it to the 2004 election map. I was shocked at the obvious correlation.

Parkbandit
10-26-2004, 02:16 PM

Alabama (50)
Tennesse (49)
Mississippi (48)
S. Carolina (46)
Arkansas (45)
W. Virginia (40)
Kentucky (37)
Missouri (35)

I've been to AL, TN, SC and WV and believe I saw skinny, scrawny asians there. I think you are mistaken.

:)

xtc
10-26-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit

Alabama (50)
Tennesse (49)
Mississippi (48)
S. Carolina (46)
Arkansas (45)
W. Virginia (40)
Kentucky (37)
Missouri (35)

I've been to AL, TN, SC and WV and believe I saw skinny, scrawny asians there. I think you are mistaken.

:)

No he isn't mistaken. There is difference between being there and being treated like a human there.

Parkbandit
10-26-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by xtc
No he isn't mistaken. There is difference between being there and being treated like a human there.

Who ever claimed asians are actually humans??

PS - I was only kidding.. and if this were post 11/1/04, I wouldn't have even posted said comment without fear of a demerit headed my way.

Tsa`ah
10-26-2004, 02:25 PM
Tsa`ah.. it's not like I sat there and tried to find out what I could compare the state's party affiliation to whatever would shine the worse light on the Democrats. I simply posted in another thread that I paid taxes out the ass in Conn. and that it's not surprising that it's solidly Democratic. I did a quick look up of the state/local taxes per state and compared it to the 2004 election map. I was shocked at the obvious correlation.

Originally posted by Tsa`ah

I implied nothing other than it would be an interesting comparison.

xtc
10-26-2004, 03:09 PM
In Ontario Canada our last provincial Government (Conservatives) cut taxes and reigned over a very prosperous economic period where unemployment fell, welfare rolls were reduced. We have a first rate education system and health care system. The budget was balanced every year.

Now by contrast out Federal Gov't (Liberals) cut tax credits and exemptions. They also raised taxes, cut healthcare and education funding to the provinces.

Our new provincial Gov't (Liberal) has increased taxes, cut healthcare (de-listed many services). They made a bevy of election promises that they started breaking days after being elected. Of course independent assessments of their promises said that they couldn't pay for them without raising taxes which they promised not to do. They have failed to balance the budget. Sound familiar?

Back
10-26-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by xtc
In Ontario Canada our last provincial Government (Conservatives) cut taxes and reigned over a very prosperous economic period where unemployment fell, welfare rolls were reduced. We have a first rate education system and health care system. The budget was balanced every year.

Now by contrast out Federal Gov't (Liberals) cut tax credits and exemptions. They also raised taxes, cut healthcare and education funding to the provinces.

Our new provincial Gov't (Liberal) has increased taxes, cut healthcare (de-listed many services). They made a bevy of election promises that they started breaking days after being elected. Of course independent assessments of their promises said that they couldn't pay for them without raising taxes which they promised not to do. They have failed to balance the budget. Sound familiar?

No, it dosen’t. Maybe its because thats whats happened in Canada. We are talking about the US.

Not that I don’t care what happens there, but the more pressing issue at the moment is this election in the US.

It might also explain why I have trouble following your arguments because it seems like you are all over the place in terms of what you want to support or not.

Parkbandit
10-26-2004, 03:36 PM
And you are still voting for Kerry??

I don't get it.

xtc
10-26-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Backlash

Originally posted by xtc

No, it dosen’t. Maybe its because thats whats happened in Canada. We are talking about the US.

Not that I don’t care what happens there, but the more pressing issue at the moment is this election in the US.

It might also explain why I have trouble following your arguments because it seems like you are all over the place in terms of what you want to support or not.

I was simply trying to show that you can cut taxes and have a strong healthcare and education system.

That doesn't mean that what works in Canada will work elsewhere.

I don't follow party lines I decide issues on a point by point basis which may seem like "I am all over the place". I am reticient to follow any one mantra just to avoid critcism.

xtc
10-26-2004, 03:38 PM
And you are still voting for Kerry??

I don't get it.

To use Bush speech

Iraq, born again christian, world not a safer place.

DeV
10-26-2004, 03:40 PM
Can one vote in a Canadian election as well as a US election if they have dual citizenship?

Keller
10-26-2004, 03:41 PM
It would also be interesting to see those figures as a percentage of income, or at least qualify them when a mean income level.

Right now all you're telling me is that people in NY, CN, NJ, and MA make a lot of money while people from Mantana, MS, TN, and Ala-fuckin-bama don't.

That's right, I know my state abreviations!

xtc
10-26-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by DarkelfVold
Can one vote in a Canadian election as well as a US election if they have dual citizenship?

yeah I think so, I have been voting in both.

Parkbandit
10-26-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Keller
It would also be interesting to see those figures as a percentage of income, or at least qualify them when a mean income level.

Right now all you're telling me is that people in NY, CN, NJ, and MA make a lot of money while people from Mantana, MS, TN, and Ala-fuckin-bama don't.

That's right, I know my state abreviations!

I was thinking the same thing at first.. but then I saw states like WI, ME, DE and MN rather high up on that list while states like TN, FL, TX and GA rather low on the list. Maybe it's a combination of the two.. high income and high taxes = likely Democratic state? Not sure what the correlation is telling us.. but it's too black and white to be a coincidence.

Back
10-26-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by xtc

Originally posted by DarkelfVold

yeah I think so, I have been voting in both.

You think so, and you have been voting in both. Ok.

Do you also pay taxes to both the US and Canada? Just curious because if you live there, and don’t pay taxes here, yet are able to vote in our elections... it doesn’t really add up.

Which state do you vote in and what is the registration process for dual citizenships?