PDA

View Full Version : Solomon's Status and the GemStone IV Community on 08/29/2015 08:10 PM EDT

SashaFierce
08-29-2015, 08:13 PM
Hello everyone,

I have an important update for the community. GM Solomon has decided to move on from Simutronics. For those that aren’t aware, he was our Product Manager and oversaw both GemStone IV and DragonRealms. Solomon gave us many years of creativity and helped guide the game in a positive direction. But, rest assured, we are still going to carry on and do what we do best, which is put out one of the best text-based RPGs on the market.

This change in management should not have any effect on the game, so please continue to enjoy yourself. We wanted to let you know these details now, instead of hearing them in some form of a rumor down the road. We appreciate everything that Bubba (Solomon) did for us here in GemStone IV, and we hope he can continue being successful in any new adventure he shall lead!

~Wyrom, APM

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Discussions%20with%20Simutronics/Staff%20Updates%20and%20Goals%20Discussion/view/132

Archigeek
08-29-2015, 08:15 PM
That was a surprise.

Tgo01
08-29-2015, 08:15 PM
Isn't it usually the case that if someone doesn't say goodbye themselves on the forums it means they were fired? Or in the case of Solomon it could just be he's such an asshole he didn't care enough about the community to say goodbye before leaving the company on good terms.

Maybe one of Solomon's few higher ups finally realized that hey, having a complete ass muncher who treats the customers like shit isn't very good for business.

Astray
08-29-2015, 08:16 PM
K.

Astray
08-29-2015, 08:17 PM
Isn't it usually the case that if someone doesn't say goodbye themselves on the forums it means they were fired?

Yes and no. Solomon could have been such an ass munching pile of shit he didn't even bother to say goodbye. Probably didn't even give his two weeks.

elcidcannon
08-29-2015, 08:23 PM
HE PROBABLY GOT CANNED BECAUSE HE FUCKED WIZARDS OVER SO BAD. GOOD RIDDANCE MAKE WHIRLIN THE NEW PM SO WIZARDS GET FREE UNLIMITED -10s HASTE FOR 1 MANA. AND 50 RANKS OF DODGE BECAUSE BARDS GET THAT.

-notawizard

(no personal offense meant, whirlin, target of opportunity)

Buckwheet
08-29-2015, 08:24 PM
Yeah this is a wonderful change I think.

Taernath
08-29-2015, 08:24 PM
Good.

The wording makes me suspect he left on bad terms.

Gizmo
08-29-2015, 08:25 PM
Yeah this is a wonderful change I think.

Agreed. His focus was WAY too much on DR than Gemstone IMO.

Androidpk
08-29-2015, 08:27 PM
Sooo... is Wyrom the new PM? :)

Whirlin
08-29-2015, 08:34 PM
HE PROBABLY GOT CANNED BECAUSE HE FUCKED WIZARDS OVER SO BAD. GOOD RIDDANCE MAKE WHIRLIN THE NEW PM SO WIZARDS GET FREE UNLIMITED -10s HASTE FOR 1 MANA. AND 50 RANKS OF DODGE BECAUSE BARDS GET THAT.

-notawizard

(no personal offense meant, whirlin, target of opportunity)
How is that an insult? I'd be happy to take a promotion, but I don't think Simutronics is willing to pay my salary.

Warriorbird
08-29-2015, 08:37 PM
Holy crap. Wow.

Tgo01
08-29-2015, 08:48 PM
I just realized something. Without Solomon to stand in the way it means they are going to make me a GM tomorrow now :D

caelric
08-29-2015, 08:53 PM

One can only hope.

And yes, I agree, the wording makes it look like he left involuntarily. Could easily be reading too much into it, though.

Allereli
08-29-2015, 08:57 PM

I think it will be onsite staff.

Mogonis
08-29-2015, 08:58 PM
This change in management should not have any effect on the game.
How?

Tgo01
08-29-2015, 08:58 PM
Let's start rumors.

I bet he was caught embezzling, that's why he always got uppity whenever anyone asked where all of the money from GS went, he didn't want the highups to start looking at the numbers.

Androidpk
08-29-2015, 09:01 PM
Let's start rumors.

I bet he was caught embezzling, that's why he always got uppity whenever anyone asked where all of the money from GS went, he didn't want the highups to start looking at the numbers.

You clearly don't understand the cost of maintaining fire extinguishers.

Tgo01
08-29-2015, 09:04 PM
You clearly don't understand the cost of maintaining fire extinguishers.

I laughed.

Thread: Solomon's Status and the GemStone IV Community on 08/29/2015 08:10 PM EDT

This is just being an asshole

Aww, what's the matter, buttercup? Worried the new product manager won't be as much of a dick as Solomon? I share your fears.

SHAFT
08-29-2015, 09:04 PM
Let's start rumors.

You wonder why the gm's fuck with you...

Taernath
08-29-2015, 09:05 PM
Let's start rumors.

But they made an official announcement specifically so there wouldn't be any rumors! You're going to ruin everything!

I heard he was an agent from Aardwolf and deleted all the files on savants before he was caught.

Tgo01
08-29-2015, 09:07 PM

I wonder nothing! :O

I heard he was an agent from Aardwolf and deleted all the files on savants before he was caught.

Solomon was the one hacking the Simutronics website and the PC!!

ZeP
08-29-2015, 09:08 PM
Holy crap. Wow.

It isn't hard to surprise you.

Does WB actually teach people? Please say its all an Internet lie.

Methais
08-29-2015, 09:32 PM
One can only hope.

And yes, I agree, the wording makes it look like he left involuntarily. Could easily be reading too much into it, though.

Maybe he rage quit.

Let's start rumors.

I heard he was caught selling fuckloads of silver that he'd just create in his PM house to buy cocaine with to sell to Whatley at a markup, double dipping the fuck out of Dave.

Because they're attracted to his anus.

Supposedly Solomon had a giant hardon for Khaladon for a long time and used that "don't cross me shit" to get rid of him. Would be cool if they brought him back now.

Astray
08-29-2015, 09:38 PM
I heard that he was selling weapons to inner city children. They said he had plans to buy back some of Ardwen's gear so that he could change the text and sell it in an upcoming EG auction as new equipment. To hike up money from EG ticket sales, no doubt.

Whirlin
08-29-2015, 09:57 PM
Let's start rumors.

He crossed me...

Astray
08-29-2015, 10:01 PM
He crossed me...

If you cross Whirlin, he'll guide you to your doom.

Methais
08-29-2015, 10:06 PM
He's running for president.

Malisai
08-29-2015, 10:13 PM

We can only hope.

As to how it wont really affect the game, Soloman was high level, which means he probably decided what types of things got worked on. As a result its not like he was in the middle of coding savants and then left. also any company worth their salt can move on from one employee.

Taernath
08-29-2015, 10:17 PM
He's running for president.

He quit to run for VP on the Trump ticket?

Jarvan
08-29-2015, 10:24 PM
Solomon ultimately decided what was, and was not allowed.

He could have been the one deciding on Duskruin pricing, on how much and what can go out, and on what services can and can not be offered at each event.

Actually, he WAS he one deciding.

So far... what does this change mean?

We can get a bigger dick, a smaller dick, someone level headed... or GS Prime could turn into shatterd, and everyone can walk around with 10x claids with T5 ensorcell and UB while wearing 1lb 10x +50 crit padded plate and 10x db.

Solomon did do some good.. we just generally were pissed by the stuff we considered bad.

So lets wait and see.

Candor
08-29-2015, 10:26 PM
This thread just makes me realize how immature some of the users on this board are.

I don't know Solomon or why he is leaving, but I would guess that he found another position elsewhere that would be a good step for his career. Certainly that makes a lot more sense than the idiocy expressed in this thread.

I know some of you will want to leave me some nasty negative rep now, so get cracking. I'll pay attention to it as much as I pay attention to all the others reps you have submitted.

Astray
08-29-2015, 10:37 PM
Solomon ultimately decided what was, and was not allowed.

He could have been the one deciding on Duskruin pricing, on how much and what can go out, and on what services can and can not be offered at each event.

Actually, he WAS he one deciding.

So far... what does this change mean?

We can get a bigger dick, a smaller dick, someone level headed... or GS Prime could turn into shatterd, and everyone can walk around with 10x claids with T5 ensorcell and UB while wearing 1lb 10x +50 crit padded plate and 10x db.

Solomon did do some good.. we just generally were pissed by the stuff we considered bad.

So lets wait and see.
We'll see leniency and we'll see tightening in areas. Whoever it is though, needs to show that they aren't Solomon. Which will likely win them some points across the board.

caelric
08-29-2015, 11:10 PM
Probably not related, but still funny, is the below announcement coming within hours of Bubba's departure announcement:

Just as update, we do value everyone's feedback and will likely make some changes to the original proposals. We're not ready to announce anything just yet though.

GameMaster Estild

Tgo01
08-29-2015, 11:14 PM
This thread just makes me realize how immature some of the users on this board are.

I don't know Solomon or why he is leaving, but I would guess that he found another position elsewhere that would be a good step for his career. Certainly that makes a lot more sense than the idiocy expressed in this thread.

I know some of you will want to leave me some nasty negative rep now, so get cracking. I'll pay attention to it as much as I pay attention to all the others reps you have submitted.

Why is Uncle Candor always such a grouch?

RSR
08-29-2015, 11:14 PM
Clearly he fell in love with braiding and quit to spend more time following his new love of braiding beard hair into fancy jewelry.

subzero
08-30-2015, 12:26 AM

Oh, you poor, misguided people. There was only a brief period where insane stuff went out and by now I think it's safe to assume the vast majority of it is locked away on accounts that have been inactive for a long time. Basically, it's just like Prime.

Androidpk
08-30-2015, 12:39 AM
Oh, you poor, misguided people. There was only a brief period where insane stuff went out and by now I think it's safe to assume the vast majority of it is locked away on accounts that have been inactive for a long time. Basically, it's just like Prime.

Just ignore that guy over there with the phased plasma dildo sword and mecha suit!

SashaFierce
08-30-2015, 12:44 AM
I like the dumbass on the officials who is posting that he hopes Solomons leaving has nothing to do with the Wizard catastrophe.

Tgo01
08-30-2015, 12:49 AM
I like the dumbass on the officials who is posting that he hopes Solomons leaving has nothing to do with the Wizard catastrophe.

What, like, he thinks Solomon quit because people are complaining about the wizard nerfs?

subzero
08-30-2015, 01:03 AM
Just ignore that guy over there with the phased plasma dildo sword and mecha suit!

Methais quit long ago! There really wasn't much of that shit going around when I last played, which has been a few years at this point.

Kembal
08-30-2015, 12:05 PM
This is one extraordinarily weirdly timed departure announcement, unless it happened on Friday and they just notified us last evening.

People don't resign or get fired on weekends in normal corporate settings. Something doesn't add up.

Mogonis
08-30-2015, 12:07 PM
Solomon was supposedly out ~10 days ago, as the PM job was posted about that long ago. Not sure why Wyrom waited so long to announce it.

Kembal
08-30-2015, 12:12 PM
Solomon was supposedly out ~10 days ago, as the PM job was posted about that long ago. Not sure why Wyrom waited so long to announce it.

Well, that would explain it.

Jhynnifer
08-30-2015, 12:12 PM
No. He didn't quit 10 days ago, he quit this past Tuesday.

caelric
08-30-2015, 12:29 PM
This is one extraordinarily weirdly timed departure announcement, unless it happened on Friday and they just notified us last evening.

People don't resign or get fired on weekends in normal corporate settings. Something doesn't add up.

What, if anything, has Simu ever done that made you think that it is a normal corporate setting?

Kembal
08-30-2015, 12:37 PM
What, if anything, has Simu ever done that made you think that it is a normal corporate setting?

Get their customers to pay outrageous sums of money? :)

caelric
08-30-2015, 12:39 PM
Good point.

Donquix
08-30-2015, 04:09 PM
Best news all summer, honestly.

Whirlin
08-30-2015, 04:39 PM
So... Here's the thing about Solomon:

I really do appreciate the ideas that he brought into Gemstone and the Simutronics scene. He really did some great implementations including Duskruin, Elemental Confluence, F2P, as well as RtCF, and continuing the traditions with Ebon's Gate and other paid events.

However, I do feel that he failed to take into some fundamental understanding of underlying gemstone mechanics and community within each of these development efforts. The intent, the thoughts, and all other aspects were well thought out, but only about 90% on the execution, and then complete lack of maintenance after implementation to player responses. I think both the Confluence and F2P really hammer this point home.

F2P was a HUGE boom to our player base. Like... ridiculous boom for a few weeks. I know that many players, myself included, did our best to both promote the F2P notion, support returners, and assist anyone that was joining under the model. However, unfortunately, once the nuances of the model were realized, and over monetization of what should be default abilities, the players felt fulfilled on their nostalgia, and left again. Many of us posted both on these forums with our findings about the models, and recommendations on what would make a more attractive playing environment for F2P players... but it seems to have fallen upon deaf ears, and no changes were made.

The Elemental Confluence suffered an incredibly similar fate. Sauron heard our pleas for a post-capped hunting ground, and even created an environment with brand new, unique mechanics, that was kind of accessible from all parts of the world, giving capped players an opportunity to enjoy hunts together. Each elemental having a different quirk about it that needed to be balanced out, managed, etc. Honestly, it's a great concept! However, in execution, AS/DS/CS/TD/Maneuver values weren't well suited to make the confluence an attractive hunting ground for the perceived risk/reward of the area. The creatures were just a little too strong, and a little too low level to really make an attractive post-capped hunting ground, while simultaneously being a bit too difficult for a pre-capped hunting ground.

As far as RtCF/Duskruin, these were absolutely wonderfully sought after events, and added some more monetization opportunities to Simutronics... However, the problem with these events is that they really introduced an astronomical amount of gear inflation over the last two-three years. Gear inflation is a part of any MMO society, however, this was a bit too much, too fast, and really outpaced what we had experienced pretty much since the introduction of Fusion. I mean, take a look at some of the prices on the gear over in the auctions folder right now. Enhancives are incredibly readily available due to Duskruin, and I think more self-chargers have been introduced to the realms in the last two years than in the history of the game before that! Clearly people always want better gear, but I do think the inflation in this department has been a little much.

Ohh... and Monks! Monks were another one of his projects! We've also heard Estild comment that the higher ups felt that combat should be slowed down... ... ... I'm done on this topic.

I really do appreciate the ideas that Saruman had over his stay with Simutronics, he really did breathe some new life into the game. But I'm also incredibly excited with the new directions we may be taking, especially if Wyrom or Estild end up moving a bit higher up in the hierarchy.

Fallen
08-30-2015, 04:45 PM
I LOLoftheRinged at that post. Nice, Whirlin.

Latrinsorm
08-30-2015, 05:15 PM
Let's start rumors. I bet he was caught embezzling, that's why he always got uppity whenever anyone asked where all of the money from GS went, he didn't want the highups to start looking at the numbers.I heard he threatened to chop an infant in half during a custody dispute.

Luftstreitkräfte
08-30-2015, 05:55 PM
i threw my hat in the ring let's see if they want a REAL man to be PM

Ronan alters and rotflares for all should I get the job. and Iorake.

ZeP
08-31-2015, 01:18 AM
ZeP = Bubba. There we go.

Yeah, it didn't catch on.

Also it is pretty much a sin to refer to someone as Bubba here if they are not the Hearthstone guard or the guy from Forrest Gump. This is how ParkBandit ended up how he is, I think, talking to you.

Methais
09-01-2015, 09:30 AM
He quit to run for VP on the Trump ticket?

Solomon is a big lefty, and is obsessed with posting pro gay marriage stuff at least 837 times a day on Facebook.

Methais quit long ago!

WAT

I'm still not sure if this is why he quit or if he already decided to quit first, but doesn't look like he left on good terms either way.
http://i.imgur.com/avHDq02.png

And is doing some art/jewelry thing now, whatever that consists of.

Taernath
09-01-2015, 09:54 AM
Making jewelry is something unemployed stay at home moms do.

Jarvan
09-01-2015, 10:07 AM
Making jewelry is something unemployed stay at home moms do.

Your point is?

Taernath
09-01-2015, 10:14 AM
Your point is?

That making jewelry is something unemployed stay at home moms do.

Jarvan
09-01-2015, 10:19 AM
That making jewelry is something unemployed stay at home moms do.

I don't think you got my whole... your point is.

Maybe Solomon is now an unemployed stay at home mom.

Taernath
09-01-2015, 10:31 AM
Maybe making jewelry is also something unemployed asshole Producer/Game Designers do?

Astray
09-01-2015, 10:47 AM
I can't wait to see Savant jewelry on Etsy 300 years from now.

Jarvan
09-01-2015, 11:11 AM
Maybe making jewelry is also something unemployed asshole Producer/Game Designers do?

Just hope they don't replace him with someone you also think is an asshole.

Fallen
09-01-2015, 11:18 AM
Wyrom said it was an on-site position and has no intention of taking it.

Note: This post has no relation to the one above it.

Taernath
09-01-2015, 11:25 AM

There is only one GM remaining that I consider to be an asshole, so it's doubtful.

Whirlin
09-01-2015, 11:25 AM
Wyrom said it was an on-sight position and has no intention of taking it.

Note: This post has no relation to the one above it.
Clarification, by 'post' you're referring to your PC post on this thread being about OP and not the tangent, or the posting for the position has no relationship to Solomon's departure?

Whirlin
09-01-2015, 11:36 AM
Ohh, I found this from 2004:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Simutronics

Jarvan
09-01-2015, 11:38 AM
There is only one GM remaining that I consider to be an asshole, so it's doubtful.

Remember, it doesn't have to be a GS GM.

I think that is something everyone needs to think about.

Astray
09-01-2015, 11:39 AM

Identifiable by awful customer service and frequent problems and delays. Lack of willingness to help and fix problems is a marked trait of a Simutronics along with persistance fucking up and "nerfing" or everything that makes their games fun.

Tell me where it's wrong though.

Luftstreitkräfte
09-01-2015, 11:44 AM
Solomon seems okay, he's a bacon fan so we harmonize there. Although.. he always seemed like 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag to me, albeit shit drizzled in chocolate and bacon.

Whirlin
09-01-2015, 11:46 AM
Solomon seems okay, he's a bacon fan so we harmonize there. Although.. he always seemed like 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag to me, albeit shit drizzled in chocolate and bacon.
I don't think having your approval is going to bolstering anyone's overall social standing positively.

WRoss
09-01-2015, 11:50 AM

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Dragonrealms

A text-based game that often attracts forty-five year old female drama queens that reportedly weigh over two thousand pounds.

Ahnoui whispers, "look, you stupid cunt, he's my friend and not yours. if you don't back off, i'm going to report you to the gamemasters for OOC harassment."

^ Plays Dragonrealms and weighs over two thousand pounds.

Allereli
09-01-2015, 12:02 PM
with a thread like this, I'm sure he's regretting his decision to quit.

Good luck to the next person.

subzero
09-01-2015, 12:05 PM
WAT

Shattered, Willis. Weren't you the one with the distended anus? I couldn't really recall anyone that owned anything dildo-related.

Fallen
09-01-2015, 12:11 PM
Clarification, by 'post' you're referring to your PC post on this thread being about OP and not the tangent, or the posting for the position has no relationship to Solomon's departure?

You immortalized my grammatical error. Go die in a fire.

Taernath
09-01-2015, 12:13 PM
with a thread like this, I'm sure he's regretting his decision to quit.

Good luck to the next person.

Oh my god we're playing right into his hands!

Solomooooooooooooon!

http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbview_approve/2883712/3/stock-photo-2883712-khaaannnn-african-american-man-on-knees-screaming-up-at-sky.jpg

Methais
09-01-2015, 01:48 PM

Most people were turned off by Solomon from the day he was announced as PM, mainly because he's a DR guy and couldn't have given two shits about GS.

And he was kind of a dick on the forums, which didn't help either. But I think the main thing is that nobody wanted a DR guy running GS.

Methais
09-01-2015, 01:56 PM

Synonyms include: Fuckheads, Morons, Trollops, Applejohns, and beardless rump-munchers.

:lol:

Shattered, Willis. Weren't you the one with the distended anus? I couldn't really recall anyone that owned anything dildo-related.

Oh yeah. If anyone wants to buy it, as well as my Tourettes Guy outfit (neckbrace, rapist glasses, Frosted Flakes shirt), or my characters Goatse and Tourettesguy, PM me cash or Prime silver offers.

Allereli
09-01-2015, 02:13 PM
Most people were turned off by Solomon from the day he was announced as PM, mainly because he's a DR guy and couldn't have given two shits about GS.

And he was kind of a dick on the forums, which didn't help either. But I think the main thing is that nobody wanted a DR guy running GS.

I question whether there are any "GS guys" remaining onsite, or if any of the onsite staff are really into GS or DR, since the company seems to focus more on developing new games.

Thus, I nominate Chris in Billing.

Methais
09-01-2015, 03:11 PM
I question whether there are any "GS guys" remaining onsite, or if any of the onsite staff are really into GS or DR, since the company seems to focus more on developing new games.

Thus, I nominate Chris in Billing.

If not, I guess I'll bite the bullet and take the position myself.

First order of duty: Undo wizard nerfs
Second order of duty: Throw IW's shitty weapon in the well

Whirlin
09-01-2015, 03:12 PM

Methais for Gemstone Overlord!

Mogonis
09-01-2015, 03:22 PM

Third order of duty: Finally adopt Mogonis as your son, you sonofabitch.

Methais
09-01-2015, 03:26 PM
Third order of duty: Finally declare Mogonis as one of Haashek's super kids, like Anticor.

Fixed.

Androidpk
09-01-2015, 04:49 PM
Third order of duty: Finally adopt Mogonis as your son, you sonofabitch.

Surprised you didn't ask for a krodera longknife.

Warriorbird
09-01-2015, 05:08 PM

I wouldn't trust Methais in any government position.
I'd definitely trust him to run GS.

I think it should go to Chris in Billing though. Guy's a saint.

Whirlin
09-01-2015, 05:13 PM
I wouldn't trust Methais in any government position.
I'd definitely trust him to run GS.

I think it should go to Chris in Billing though. Guy's a saint.
You saying you wouldn't trust him makes him more trustworthy.

Mogonis
09-01-2015, 05:14 PM
Chris is Billing is a she.

Warriorbird
09-01-2015, 05:18 PM
Chris is Billing is a she.

Ha. Well. My sole thirty second interaction was "Will you restore this character you probably shouldn't?" followed by Chris's "Sure! Email us." so I'm good with Chris either way. Made me a supporter for life.

Methais
09-02-2015, 08:51 AM
I could swear Chris had a dude voice. But now I don't even remember if I've had to call billing since Beth left.

I always chuckled at Beth's last name being Shaver. I bet she sports a massive bush just out of spite.

Whirlin
09-02-2015, 08:52 AM
I could swear Chris had a dude voice. But now I don't even remember if I've had to call billing since Beth left.

I always chuckled at Beth's last name being Shaver. I bet she sports a massive bush just out of spite.

Don't talk about your future coworkers that way... it's creepy.

WRoss
09-02-2015, 09:00 AM
There was a guy named Chris in billing years ago. Now it's Chris the chick

Warriorbird
09-02-2015, 09:33 AM
There was a guy named Chris in billing years ago. Now it's Chris the chick

That's probably why. It's been years.

Methais
09-02-2015, 01:40 PM
What if female Chris in billing was Caitlyn to male Chris's Bruce before Bruce Jenner decided he wanted to be Caitlyn Jenner?

Whirlin
09-02-2015, 01:50 PM
What if female Chris in billing was Caitlyn to male Chris's Bruce before Bruce Jenner decided he wanted to be Caitlyn Jenner?
Would that impact your position in wanting to know what her bush is like?

Methais
09-03-2015, 08:48 AM
Would that impact your position in wanting to know what her bush is like?

It would ruin everything.