PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Receiver Shutting Off when too much volume applied

Viekn
08-08-2015, 09:36 AM
I have a Yamaha HTR-5930 receiver. There are two sets (4 total speakers) of outdoor speakers hooked up. This is at my in-laws house and their previous setup was an old Onkyo TX-910 receiver where they had doubled up all 4 speakers and plugged them all in to the 4 slots for the Speaker A inputs of the Onkyo receiver. It worked, but I thought that was ridiculous and I'm typically one for doing things the right way, so I split them up across both A and B speaker inputs and could then only get one set to work. I decided to try my newer Yamaha receiver and got the same problem. I happen to have a Niles speaker selector that can tie up to 4 sets of speakers to one amp, so I decided to use that. So I've got my two sets of outdoor speakers hooked up to the Niles speaker selector and the Niles speaker selector now hooked up nice and neat to my Yamaha "A" only speaker inputs, almost like my in-laws had done before but now instead of putting two positive wires into the same speaker input, it is only one set each coming from the Niles speaker selector. I have attached a picture below. This actually works and you can hear both speakers, but now though when I turn the volume up to even a modest level (-17) the amp shuts down. Below is a picture of the setup.

Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong? Or should I just go back to the old ghetto way my inlaws had it and double up two cords going in to one positive input, which just seems ridiculous to me.

Viekn
08-08-2015, 10:10 AM
Never mind I guess. I just changed the impedance selector from 6ohm to 8ohm and it seems to be fine. Figures.

Ker_Thwap
08-08-2015, 10:35 AM
Never mind I guess. I just changed the impedance selector from 6ohm to 8ohm and it seems to be fine. Figures.

Damnit, I was going to tell you to add up the ohms.