PDA

View Full Version : Trading

Dhuul
10-24-2004, 03:49 PM
Worth it?

40 ranks for a 140 bonus at 0/3 isn't too bad, if it gives you significant economic advantage. So, what's your personal best deal with a table merchant?

StrayRogue
10-24-2004, 04:00 PM
Its worth it to get a few ranks. Don't be like me and have a character with 200 ranks in it though. If the RT of appraisal went down with ranks it might be alright, but even with 200 ranks its still 100 seconds to appraise a bundle. I'll post some logs of Ebons on the price reduction though; I've got three characters going, one with the aforementioned 200 ranks, another with 50 and Stay with 0.

Nieninque
10-24-2004, 04:02 PM
I get 10k off a 70k lockpick from the illistim locksmith

Kitsun
10-24-2004, 04:46 PM
From what I could tell, that locksmith in Illistim bases his price off race and frequency/amount of purchases more than trading.

Nieninque
10-24-2004, 05:11 PM
So sylvan and infrequent purchases gets you 10k off?

Kitsun
10-24-2004, 06:16 PM
Just went to go check out the pricing...

Elven rogue - Bought and repaired a lot there. No trading ranks. Not a citizen.
These normally run about 75000 silvers, but for you, I think I can knock it down to 64500 silvers. Sound good?

Sylvan empath - Bought a few things. Approximately 100 trading ranks. Citizen or partial citizen(can't remember).
These normally run about 75000 silvers, but for you, I think I can knock it down to 62250 silvers. Sound good?"

Elven bard - No purchases. No trading. No citizenship.
These normally run about 75000 silvers, but for you, I think I can knock it down to 71250 silvers. Sound good?"

I don't have a base sylvan to compare this with. But do you have any trading ranks Niennique? It seems like being a regular there has a nice benefit since there wasn't a need to drop hundreds of TP's into the skill. However if this happens everywhere, the silver cost for dropping prices down can be significant in the longrun.

CalaDheNar
10-24-2004, 06:20 PM
I can't believe people would even train in trading, that seems very pointless, since it doesnt help you in anyway but some silver, I mean if it saves you a million silvers a year is it really worth losing the stat points you could be using for increasing your characters defense, dodging, or attack? I guess maybe if you had a non attack character at all, such as a PURE locksmith, empath or cleric.

All three of my characters have 0 trading and the lowest possible stat in influence.

Of course this is in my opinon

Kitsun
10-24-2004, 07:03 PM
Everyone has differing priorities and play styles.

Characters in GS do not need to leverage each and every single TP in order to hunt effectively enough to keep moving along.

Training in trading skims silvers on the intake and outflow. You can sell gems for more and buy certain items for less. I used to keep better track of my numbers but it would be like 15% more from gem sales. When I had more free time I could rake in about 2 million a week. 52 weeks in a year. Blah blah blah. Could mean like 15 million a year over what I would normally pull in. That doesn't factor in silvers saved when making purchases.

StrayRogue
10-24-2004, 07:10 PM
I make 100k a day extra due to skinning. I'd rather have that than an extra point of AS or DS.

CalaDheNar
10-24-2004, 07:37 PM
Well I guess you've proved yur point. I myself skin also and I suppose an an extra 100k is better, but that seems A little bit high, unless you play for 16 hours a day.

edit: Ok I think I read wrong, you make 100k extra a day because you skin? Or you make 100k extra a day because you skin and train in trading and when you sell your skins you get mode DUE to trading?

Trading does not help skinning as far as I know, and I, myself, train in survival.

[Edited on 10-24-2004 by CalaDheNar]

StrayRogue
10-24-2004, 08:02 PM
I mean exactly as I said. I make 100k extra a day due to trading. For example say if I had no training in trading. One hunt generally nets me 220k of skins. The extra trading will probably increase that by about 20-30k. So three or four hunts a day equals 100k from pure trading alone.

Dhuul
10-24-2004, 08:03 PM
heh what do you hunt for skins Stray?

StrayRogue
10-24-2004, 08:05 PM
Here's another example:

Person with no trading trying to sell one pack of items:
>app backpack
You ask the furrier to appraise the contents of a backpack.
The furrier takes the backpack and inspects the contents carefully before saying, "There are 8 items that I do not deal with at all. I did find 16 items that I'll give you 42419 silver for, if you want to sell."
The furrier then returns a backpack to you.

Person with 79 ranks of trading:
>app backpack
You ask the furrier to appraise the contents of a backpack.
The furrier takes the backpack and inspects the contents carefully before saying, "There are 8 items that I do not deal with at all. I did find 16 items that I'll give you 60512 silver for, if you want to sell."
The furrier then returns a backpack to you.

Nieninque
10-25-2004, 06:18 AM
I can get between 70-100k from skins. Im not sure how much extra the trading gets me, but everyone I take cash hunting is like "wow" when we cash up.

I'm very happy with my training in it and, although I sometimes think about using the TPs elsewhere, am happy to see me getting good deals on stuff to keep training in it.

Cant see why anyone would see it as a waste of TPs