PDA

View Full Version : Opening boxes with 125?

gcstader
10-25-2004, 01:50 AM
I was recently trying to open a box, a modwir coffer, with 125. Despite the fact that it is not enruned or mithril, the bolt rebounded and stunned me:

The storm cloud begins to build into a thunderhead!
[OOC]-Grussel: "evanescence is so fucking hot"
You hear the rumbling of thunder as the cloud turns an ominous dark hue!
[OOC]-Showal: "courtesy of Kazami the Destroyer"
Suddenly a lightning bolt explodes from the small thundercloud and strikes a simple modwir coffer with a brilliant flash! As the bolt strikes at a simple modwir coffer, a brilliant blue light surrounds it and deflects the bolt towards you!

... 20 points of damage!
Painfully bright jolt to head leaves ears glowing.
You are stunned for 6 rounds!
You feel less drained.

Could someone tell me the correct way to open boxes using 125?

Thanks
~Greg / Eldas

Yessum
10-25-2004, 01:52 AM
That is the correct way. It's just that some traps reflect bolts too, such as glyphs (I think?).

That's what makes bolting boxes fun.

Yessum

gcstader
10-25-2004, 01:56 AM
Hmm. Any idea which traps will deflect bolts? What kind of perception/disarming traps would I need just to *see* the trap on the box, not actually disarm it?

Thanks
~Greg / Eldas

Nakiro
10-25-2004, 02:07 AM
Just glyphs.

gcstader
10-25-2004, 02:12 AM
<< Just glyphs. >>

And of course, the very first box I try to open with 125 has one. :P

~Greg / Eldas

Numbers
10-25-2004, 02:17 AM
125 can also set of boomers. It'll still vaporize the box and open it for you... you'll just end up taking damage in the process. Not sure if the explosion harms anyone else in the room with you, though, since I always find a secluded area to 125 my boxes.

Gan
10-25-2004, 10:48 AM
Just dont do it in town, it sucks to bolt a nice fat box and get arrested before you can pick up the high end gems and that hefty slab of silver.

PS. (edit) dosent modwir have inherent properties to resist magic? I know it resist 416 when cast upon it. However it doesnt resist 407 or 408 so thats a little confusing.

I'll have to look closer at the next modwir box I bolt I guess.

[Edited on 10-25-2004 by Ganalon]

10-25-2004, 10:52 AM
Just cast call lightening on mana bread to protect yourself and to get immunity to lightening crits and you'll be fine.

- Arkans

10-25-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by 3704558
125 can also set of boomers. It'll still vaporize the box and open it for you... you'll just end up taking damage in the process. Not sure if the explosion harms anyone else in the room with you, though, since I always find a secluded area to 125 my boxes.

Nope, it's just glyphs like Nakiro said. There is no other trap in the game that 125 will set off....although occasionally folks will claim another trap was set off, this is always a user error in which they accidentally "disarm" the same box twice.

Numbers
10-25-2004, 02:37 PM
Then please explain the boxes that explode on me.

They do not reflect the bolt (no blue glow,) they DO explode (fire crits instead of electricity crits,) and they do open successfully, leaving everything that was in the box on the ground.

I never disarm my boxes... I don't even check or attempt a 408, let alone try to disarm it twice. I just plop'em on the ground, 125'em, and hope I don't get death-critted.

Is a box exploding in a big ball of fire from 125 just a random failure?

10-25-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by 3704558
Then please explain the boxes that explode on me.

They do not reflect the bolt (no blue glow,) they DO explode (fire crits instead of electricity crits,) and they do open successfully, leaving everything that was in the box on the ground.

I never disarm my boxes... I don't even check or attempt a 408, let alone try to disarm it twice. I just plop'em on the ground, 125'em, and hope I don't get death-critted.

Is a box exploding in a big ball of fire from 125 just a random failure?

Well, I know there is no random failure. I check all my boxes for glyphs, and even if I find tumblers/scarabs/whatever trap in Elanthia -- there are no ill effects to casting 125 at the box as long as it isn't a glyph (or enruned or mithril obviously).

I have to assume that all the backfires that you've seen are from glyphed boxes. I'm positive I've cast 125 at every trap in Elanthia, and none of them backfire except for glyph traps.

Numbers
10-25-2004, 04:09 PM
That's the thing, though. If it was a backfire from a glyphed box, for one, the lightning would reflect at me after the box glows blue, for two, I'd get an electricity crit, and for three, the box would stay intact. That's how glyph traps have always backfired, I'm well aware of that, as I've zapped myself enough times to know what a glyph-rebound looks like.

In all the time I've used 125 to open my boxes (I started relying on 125 ever since the new traps came out and 407/8 became less reliable) I've only had about 4 or 5 boxes explode on me. With the results that I described in my previous post; big ball of fire, fire crits, box being vaporized. It's definitely not a glyph, but I don't know what kind of trap it is, as I don't disarm or 416 my boxes anymore. I only assumed it was a boomer simply from the results of the explosion, but I suppose it could be something else. If I had a log of it I'd post it, but I don't.

10-25-2004, 04:28 PM
I can think of one or two times that the lightning rebounded (of the tens of thousands of boxes I've blasted), AND the box was vaporized. But I just assume that I'm remembering wrong ;)

Here's what I do know based on my experience -- if you type "DISARM BOX" for every box, and only cast 125 at the boxes that don't have glyphs, you'll never have the lightning backfire.

Wezas
10-25-2004, 04:31 PM
The most fun thing to do is drop a ruby or other semi-precious gem in a well populated but unpoliced room. I usually do it right outside the crypt.

Then you cast 125 at it.

And wait for someone to pick it up and hopefully stay in the room.

So amusing.

Snapp
10-25-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Wezas
The most fun thing to do is drop a ruby or other semi-precious gem in a well populated but unpoliced room. I usually do it right outside the crypt.

Then you cast 125 at it.

So amusing.

:lol: That's hilarious. 125 is such a fun spell to mess with. I use it to open boxes as well, and I've never set off a trap before. I definitely have been killed by deflecting bolts though.

10-25-2004, 05:46 PM
When I'm feeling silly I just leave cursed Gems in a room in the Landing, hide out, and watch someone pick it up.

- Arkans

Krendeli
09-07-2005, 08:51 PM
The slabs that are leftover are same value as the silvers in the box?

And when I'm feeling froggy I love to put down unlocked scales boxes around populated areas.

Artha
09-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Wezas

Then you cast 125 at it.

So amusing.

Even better is waiting for the bolt to hit and then grabbing the gem. Free money!

Gan
09-07-2005, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Krendeli
The slabs that are leftover are same value as the silvers in the box?

And when I'm feeling froggy I love to put down unlocked scales boxes around populated areas.

Slabs are either 1/2 or 1/3 the coin value of the box.

And leaving unopened and armed scales boxes will still the rogue who unlocked it arrested. And if said box is opened in a populated area, the rogue gets the hefty fine for all the kills.

Sylvan Dreams
09-07-2005, 09:30 PM
To avoid accidentally setting off a trap, you can DETECT the box. DETECT will never set off a trap, regardless of how many times you use it.

That being said, you can't 125 enruned or mithril boxes either. I think they also deflect the bolt.

cajunlady
09-07-2005, 09:36 PM
Seems I've had plated boxes (no mith or enruned, of course) spark on me... but some blow up anyway, I never gave it too much thought. I learned the hard way lighting and in town don't mix after I first learned the spell.

Gan
09-07-2005, 09:38 PM
Wait until you spark off a glyph box and kill everyone in the room. Its worse than casting 125 on mana bread. :(

Krendeli
09-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Yeah I know that can get the rogue in trouble. That's why I tend to stash those boxes in my locker for about a month before I pull them back out.