PDA

View Full Version : the Shannara Chronicles

Androidpk
07-15-2015, 10:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=163&v=crjkQHnDYu0

Androidpk
07-15-2015, 10:15 PM
I have to say I am pretty impressed by what I'm seeing. Wonder how much MTV is spending per episode.

Devellaro
07-15-2015, 10:51 PM
Special effects look awesome. Not too keen on the casting choices. And it has been forever since I read any of the books, but I cannot recall anything from the present world, like skyscrapers. I thought it was all in the past or an alternate universe or something. I will have to go find a wiki or something and refresh myself on the series.

Cereal Killer
07-15-2015, 10:56 PM
I had no idea this was coming out. I am looking forward to when the weapon master comes out and the League of Legends players accuse them of stealing a character from their favorite game.

Androidpk
07-15-2015, 11:03 PM
Special effects look awesome. Not too keen on the casting choices. And it has been forever since I read any of the books, but I cannot recall anything from the present world, like skyscrapers. I thought it was all in the past or an alternate universe or something. I will have to go find a wiki or something and refresh myself on the series.

Basically from what I remember is the prior world was much like ours in todays times and their was a massive nuclear/chemical war. All this takes place thousands of years afterwards.

Luntz
07-15-2015, 11:06 PM
I started reading these in the 5th grade and still have the whole series, can't help but be excited for this.

Androidpk
07-15-2015, 11:08 PM
I had no idea this was coming out. I am looking forward to when the weapon master comes out and the League of Legends players accuse them of stealing a character from their favorite game.

They're starting with the 2nd book so I don't know if Garet Jax will make an appearance any time soon. Would love to see him the, he's the epitome of badassery. Looking forward to seeing Stee Jans of the Free Corps.

Interestingly enough there are fan theories that Jans and Jax are the same person.

Taernath
07-15-2015, 11:18 PM
I never really got into the Shannanarama series. I read one of them in middle school but Allanon was kind of a boring character.

Devellaro
07-16-2015, 12:34 AM
For some reason I have the lingering image of Allanon being a creepy pedo or something lol. He was the all powerful druid though or something right?

And Garret Jax, I had assumed the one dude Manu Bennett I saw in the preview was him. He seems to play a lot of bad ass guys in shows/movies. Just another overused person though.

Especially for something big like this. I would LOVE to see new faces, someone I don't have a preconceived image of from other series.

Androidpk
07-16-2015, 12:38 AM
Sounds like Manu was cast for Allanon, who yes, is the druid.

Warriorbird
07-16-2015, 02:20 AM
I never really got into the Shannanarama series. I read one of them in middle school but Allanon was kind of a boring character.

I couldn't get past the notion of Alcoholics Anonymous the Druid myself.

Androidpk
07-16-2015, 03:03 AM

Because of how surly he was?

Tisket
07-16-2015, 12:01 PM
Because of his name....

Taernath
07-16-2015, 12:37 PM

I think what had happened was that by the time I got around to reading the Sword of Shannara, I had already read all of the Lord of the Rings, the Chronicles of Prydain, some Riftwar, and the first Wheel of Time book. The Hero's Journey archetype of 'gruff badass introducing protagonists to world of adventure' was already wearing thin.

Androidpk
07-16-2015, 03:47 PM
Because of his name....

Wooshed :/

Tisket
07-16-2015, 04:15 PM
lol

Ker_Thwap
07-16-2015, 06:07 PM
I think what had happened was that by the time I got around to reading the Sword of Shannara, I had already read all of the Lord of the Rings, the Chronicles of Prydain, some Riftwar, and the first Wheel of Time book. The Hero's Journey archetype of 'gruff badass introducing protagonists to world of adventure' was already wearing thin.

I read it as it came out, and at the time, there wasn't a ton of selection for epic adventure quests. Brooks was pretty much the first one with the balls to flat out rip off Tolkien, and even at age 13, I felt like the whole series was like a lite fan fiction, that was no where as good. McCaffrey, Zelazny, Donaldson, were all far more thought provoking and original than Brooks at the time.

Androidpk
07-16-2015, 06:27 PM
I read it as it came out, and at the time, there wasn't a ton of selection for epic adventure quests. Brooks was pretty much the first one with the balls to flat out rip off Tolkien, and even at age 13, I felt like the whole series was like a lite fan fiction, that was no where as good. McCaffrey, Zelazny, Donaldson, were all far more thought provoking and original than Brooks at the time.

Yeah well, that's just your opinion, man.

Ker_Thwap
07-16-2015, 06:43 PM
Yeah well, that's just your opinion, man.

You probably read Harry Potter fan-fiction too... because stoner reasons.

Victory is mine!

Androidpk
07-16-2015, 06:47 PM
You probably read Harry Potter fan-fiction too... because stoner reasons.

Victory is mine!

I haven't read a single Harry Potter book and you were probably a bigger stoner than me back in your day.

Hoodtralfeck
07-16-2015, 07:18 PM
ive never heard of these books , but MTV has put out a few good dramas lately . Like Teen Wolf annd even that Scream TV series is pretty good . they trailer fer this show looks awesome but like i said i know nothing about the story . guess ill be watching it with fresh eyes

Viekn
07-12-2016, 11:00 PM
On the 2nd episode. Pretty sweet so far.

Geijon Khyree
07-12-2016, 11:03 PM
I liked the show. It had some stumbles and like any fantasy it takes 3 episodes to heat up, but I'm glad season 2 is confirmed!

zennsunni
07-12-2016, 11:47 PM
Was a fan of the books as a kid. Tried watching it, had to turn it off 15 minutes in it was so painfully stupid.

Geijon Khyree
07-12-2016, 11:50 PM
I couldn't manage to read them. They were always at used book stores, but the writing was never exceptionally adult and seemed like fan fiction. The show isn't Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings. It is kind of a mix of Xena: Warrior Princess with high production values and those shows were popular for 6-8 seasons each.

Viekn
07-12-2016, 11:50 PM
Was a fan of the books as a kid. Tried watching it, had to turn it off 15 minutes in it was so painfully stupid.

This is probably one of those cases where I'm fortunate I didn't read the books first. I'm not saying it's on the level of GOT, but it's a pretty good story so far. The acting is decent, albeit a bit melodramatic at times.

Viekn
07-12-2016, 11:56 PM
The demons have a vaguely Constantine quality about them. Not bad.

Taernath
07-13-2016, 12:36 AM
Watched the first episode. Reminded me of Twilight with elves mixed with the camp of Hecules/Xena. Maybe if I liked or read a bunch of the books I'd be more into it, but this is taking away time I could spend watching Marco Polo.

Plus Allanon's stupid haircut, goddamn.

Warriorbird
07-13-2016, 01:13 AM
The books were fluff. This is too. If you approach it with that mindset it is much better.

Tisket
07-13-2016, 01:41 AM
I saw the first few episodes then lost interest. Maybe I wouldn't have done so if I'd read the books though.

Geijon Khyree
07-13-2016, 01:51 AM
Allanon was cool. I'd say similar to Game of Thrones you have to watch the first three episodes. It's confusing and slow with all the character introductions up to that.

drauz
07-13-2016, 02:07 AM
Watched the first episode. Reminded me of Twilight with elves mixed with the camp of Hecules/Xena. Maybe if I liked or read a bunch of the books I'd be more into it, but this is taking away time I could spend watching Marco Polo.

Plus Allanon's stupid haircut, goddamn.

This is the most accurate summary I've seen yet. Got to episode 6 or 7 and just stopped watching. It is MTV, comparing this to GoT seems like a slap in the face. This captures none of the suspense, character development, and action of GoT. Its visual effects with mostly shitty acting.

Tisket
07-13-2016, 02:24 AM
lol @ anyone comparing this to GoT.

Die.

subzero
07-13-2016, 06:43 AM
The acting is decent

You were looking for something like, "garbage" or "shit" to describe the acting on this show. I can usually ignore that sort of thing, but it's pretty painful here. I'll probably give season two a shot, but they better come out of the gate swinging cause I'm not entirely sure how or why I watched the whole first season.

Jarvan
07-13-2016, 06:47 AM
It's fucking sad to see people take decent books and turn them into shit.

An Epic Fantasy series should NEVER be on network TV. They just do not devote enough time and resources to doing it right.

And MTV? Are you fucking kidding me?

Should have had a tagline on this series.. How to save the world in 7 40 minute steps.

Viekn
07-13-2016, 08:03 AM
lol @ anyone comparing this to GoT.

Die.

I believe we said it definitely isn't GoT and Geijon simply said like GoT, it took him 3 episodes to really get in to it.

Taernath
07-13-2016, 09:42 AM
This is the most accurate summary I've seen yet. Got to episode 6 or 7 and just stopped watching. It is MTV, comparing this to GoT seems like a slap in the face. This captures none of the suspense, character development, and action of GoT. Its visual effects with mostly shitty acting.

A better summary that I've heard is 'One Tree Hill with magic'. It's a squeaky clean PG-13 teen drama... which is, y'know, fine considering the books are young adult.

I really dislike the way the story is edited together though. Like all the main characters immediately find and interact with each other. Wil sets off and is found by Eritrea, then she leaves and Allanon appears. Eritria meets Amberle, and Amberle goes to Pyria's place. Allanon goes to Arborlon with Wil, then the Druid place, then Pyria's house. How much time has passed? Are the Four Lands the size of a postage stamp?

Androidpk
07-13-2016, 10:02 AM
I enjoyed the show for what it was, cheap entertainment. The show was definitely hampered by a low budget as none of the massive battles from the book were in the show. Besides, Poppy Drayton and Ivana Baquero are cute AF.

Maerit
07-13-2016, 10:15 AM
The show is, if nothing else, easy on the eyes. Super easy to watch while playing games and doing other things simultaneously as you'll never miss anything so important or subtle that would make it hard to understand the rest of the episode. Never read the books, but I imagine the concept that this world is built on top of the ruins of the United States is better developed than the tiny snippets that appear randomly (and sometimes for no reason other than convenience) in the show. And I agree that they seem to travel from point A to point B instantly somehow for the sake of convenience...

Taernath
07-13-2016, 10:28 AM
Never read the books, but I imagine the concept that this world is built on top of the ruins of the United States is better developed than the tiny snippets that appear randomly (and sometimes for no reason other than convenience) in the show.

I never picked up on it when I read one of them as a kid, so it was definitely a lot more subtle than the winks and nudges when they showed the wrecked helicopter, freighter, and Space Needle.

Androidpk
07-13-2016, 10:34 AM
I never picked up on it when I read one of them as a kid, so it was definitely a lot more subtle than the winks and nudges when they showed the wrecked helicopter, freighter, and Space Needle.

thats cause your dumb

Geijon Khyree
07-13-2016, 10:53 AM
The travel thing was kind of funny. It took them 7 episodes to get to the heart chamber then half of the finale to get allll the way back to the tree.

Tisket
07-13-2016, 12:03 PM
I believe we said it definitely isn't GoT and Geijon simply said like GoT, it took him 3 episodes to really get in to it.

GoT shouldn't even be mentioned in the same thread as this.

Viekn
07-13-2016, 12:12 PM
GoT shouldn't even be mentioned in the same thread as this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv_JTjYYaQI

Taernath
07-13-2016, 12:17 PM
thats cause your dumb

You just watch it for the sweaty elf boys.

RichardCranium
07-13-2016, 12:22 PM
They should make a series from Robert Asprin's books.

Warriorbird
07-13-2016, 12:42 PM
They should make a series from Robert Asprin's books.

I thought they were for a while but it was just mythinformation.

drauz
07-13-2016, 12:42 PM
Just started re-reading the Wheel of Time series, always wished I could see that on the big screen, but would be worried they would hurry thru it.

Warriorbird
07-13-2016, 12:44 PM
Just started re-reading the Wheel of Time series, always wished I could see that on the big screen, but would be worried they would hurry thru it.

Don't remind me of that crappy use of IP. Bleah.

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/wheel-of-time-tv-pilot/

drauz
07-13-2016, 12:49 PM
Don't remind me of that crappy use of IP. Bleah.

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/wheel-of-time-tv-pilot/

Didn't even know they tried, glad they didn't try to push thru at least and stopped at a pilot.

Wrathbringer
07-13-2016, 01:02 PM

Agreed, love this series too. They butchered the Sword of Truth series on tv. It hurt to watch it.

Velfi
07-13-2016, 02:10 PM

Please, please don't ask for that.

Velfi
07-13-2016, 02:12 PM
Agreed, love this series too. They butchered the Sword of Truth series on tv. It hurt to watch it.

I was going to ask how this Shannara show compared to Legend of the Seeker. I watched less than one episode of that and said fuck this and bailed. Absolutely awful.

Velfi
07-13-2016, 02:13 PM
I can't even come close to imagining how horribly acted Rand would be.

Androidpk
07-13-2016, 03:21 PM
I can't even come close to imagining how horribly acted Rand would be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZOCCEuROPk

subzero
07-13-2016, 10:01 PM

And as bad as the Sword of Truth (via ABC/Disney... of course it sucked ass) series was, it's a lot better than Shannara.

Tisket
07-14-2016, 01:04 AM
Was it the Sword of Truth series that had the girl with the awesome cleavage?

Yes, that's all I remember.

Androidpk
07-14-2016, 01:16 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRuaLBqrel0

Tisket
07-14-2016, 01:22 AM
That's the one!

SHAFT
07-14-2016, 01:27 AM
God damn I say god damn! I'd go down on her and never come up for air!

subzero
07-14-2016, 02:24 AM

There were a number of hot little Mord-Sith running around, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuIyon9G-I4

Androidpk
07-14-2016, 10:44 AM
Yeah I'll take Shannara hotties over Sword of Truth hotties.

subzero
07-14-2016, 01:01 PM
Yeah I'll take Shannara hotties over Sword of Truth hotties.

I'm not surprised. You'd take a shit sammich over turkey, too.

Androidpk
07-14-2016, 02:13 PM
I'm not surprised. You'd take a shit sammich over turkey, too.

You can keep your damn turkey sandwiches!

Androidpk
10-06-2017, 04:24 AM
Season 2 returns in a few days.

Androidpk
10-11-2017, 08:56 PM
Chronicles and Mr. Robot premiering on the same night at the same time.. :|

drauz
10-11-2017, 09:00 PM
Can't believe they are still making Shannara. Huge budget, actors giving absolutely terrible performances, and bad direction. Unless it vastly improves I doubt there will be a third.

Taernath
10-11-2017, 09:01 PM
Chronicles and Mr. Robot premiering on the same night at the same time.. :|

That seems like a pretty easy choice.

Androidpk
10-11-2017, 09:03 PM
Can't believe they are still making Shannara. Huge budget, actors giving absolutely terrible performances, and bad direction. Unless it vastly improves I doubt there will be a third.

I think the only reason it got a 2nd season is because Spike picked it up.

Androidpk
10-11-2017, 09:04 PM
That seems like a pretty easy choice.

Mr. Robot for sure. Dumb move by Spike.

Androidpk
10-11-2017, 09:09 PM
As for this season it seems like they're pulling material from Sword of Shannara, Wishsong of Shannara and possibly the Heritage series.

Androidpk
10-19-2017, 05:21 PM
I was sort of excited when I found out Garet Jax was going to be a character on the show but now I'm wishing they didn't add him as they've completely mangled his character.

Jhynnifer
10-19-2017, 05:52 PM
Is this show actually any good? My fiancee and I were excited until we realized it was on MTV and assumed that, like the CW, they're capable of taking anything awesome and making it into millennial high-school drama-llama hour.

Taernath
10-19-2017, 05:56 PM
Is this show actually any good? My fiancee and I were excited until we realized it was on MTV and assumed that, like the CW, they're capable of taking anything awesome and making it into millennial high-school drama-llama hour.

Hahaha no, it's exactly what you described. A campy CW teen drama + elves.

Androidpk
10-19-2017, 05:58 PM
What Taernath said, it's a total cheese fest. I have a soft spot for the books though so I'm watching it. Plus Ivana Baquero's character gives me warm fuzzies.

Tisket
10-19-2017, 06:53 PM

I don't really have a high bar for this genre. I will watch anything however, I stopped after about the third or fourth episode of the first season. And I think it would be even worse for someone who loves the books. I never read them myself.

Androidpk
10-19-2017, 07:37 PM
And I think it would be even worse for someone who loves the books. I never read them myself.

I'll take what I can get since it's the only show based on the books.

Axhinde
10-19-2017, 09:43 PM
I made it through maybe 3 episodes of the first season. It was pretty awful. What was terry brooks thinking letting MTV make this so-called show?