PDA

View Full Version : casting monk

Tumbadoo
06-01-2015, 02:55 PM
Is it possible to have a monk build that relies solely on casting? I can't see it but mAybe someone else can enlighten me

Tgo01
06-01-2015, 02:59 PM
Is it possible to have a monk build that relies solely on casting? I can't see it but mAybe someone else can enlighten me

I really wanted to try this but it doesn't seem like a very viable training path at all. I mean sure, you could probably make it work but you probably won't be frying very often.

Allereli
06-01-2015, 03:09 PM
Monks are considered squares, although their spell training expectation seems to be a lot higher (GM posted .5x through cap) than rogues or warriors. You could try the Teffor route and do a scroll monk.

(Teffor is a scroll warrior who can use bolts. Unfortunately he's currently inactive.)

Androidpk
06-01-2015, 03:36 PM
Possible, sure. Effective.. that is a whole other story. Teffor got up to at least level 40 so there is that. I imagine with scrolls and fire spirit you could do alright. Monks can only 1x in spell aim though.

Donquix
06-01-2015, 05:12 PM
Monks are considered squares, although their spell training expectation seems to be a lot higher (GM posted .5x through cap) than rogues or warriors. You could try the Teffor route and do a scroll monk.

(Teffor is a scroll warrior who can use bolts. Unfortunately he's currently inactive.)

they said .33x if i recall. you would have to do the imbedible/scroll route which...i mean really, is pushing it saying it's "possible".

Straight self-casting, no. I don't think you could do it. 1201 is laughably bad, other then that your only options for self-cast attacks are 10+ mana (unbalance, fire spirit, thought lash), i suppose if you invested into summoning lore you could get web bolt but as mentioned, you're 1x spell aim and low on mana. Two of those spells (unbalance and thought lash) are are really support/setup spells that happen to do damage. A little higher level you could get call lightning, which is hilarious if used with bear hug.

So could you kill things and gain experience? yes, technically speaking that is true. I think it would be extreeeeeeeemely slow going. Even by mutant build standards.

Allereli
06-01-2015, 05:18 PM
we're both right:

For Spell Research, we expect Monks to be .33-.5x trained. That can vary the numbers quite a bit, but it also comes down to personal judgement. For example, when I play any Semi or Pure, I ridiculously overtrain Spell Research for the first 40 or spell levels because I want access to every available spell as soon as possible. For a Monk, if my TD was a major concern, then learning up to 120 and 1220 would be a top priority, so I would expect at least .5x training to achieve that.

GameMaster Estild

Donquix
06-01-2015, 05:21 PM
we're both right:

o/\o <--- us high fiving

estild basically trains like me...LIKE A SEMI HOW THEY"RE SUPPOSED TO BE. :(

Androidpk
06-01-2015, 05:29 PM
Monks should be more square than they are now. I don't think they should have a spell circle like minor mental. It should have been a different system that relied on stamina.

Warriorbird
06-01-2015, 05:34 PM
The declared expectation is .33x. I'd suggest almost 1x, personally. I wouldn't say they should be spell based hunters but they do have some boosters for it.

Androidpk
06-01-2015, 06:09 PM
1x is too much.

Donquix
06-01-2015, 06:15 PM
yeah 1x would be debilitating. I did close to .7x for a bit and it was near impossible to have even baseline combat stats kept up, and for a bit they actually weren't (2x cm, brawl, dodge, pf)

i'm down to about .6x now and it's not much better, but I also picking up a bunch of spell burst ranks (20 miu, 5 as currently) so that's basically like still training in spells. so not much has changed. when i finally switch to training the physical stuff it will be really nice since it's pretty cheap and i'm like 1000 points ptp -> mtp converted at this point so I make it rain PTP when i stop dumping it into spells/burst stuff.

Androidpk
06-01-2015, 06:30 PM
I stopped getting spells at 1220. No minor spirituals.