PDA

View Full Version : Blurred Lines

Back
09-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Been thinking about how some people post as their GS chars name, and some don't. What strikes me as interesting is.., that people who post as their chars names tend to take things IG much more seriously. Is it really such a good idea to post as you char?

I mean, like, I can see the point of not being afraid to post as your char, but from what I've seen, there has been some serious blurring of lines between the game and reality.

I sometimes post as my char, but never as outlandish as I do when I am annonymous. For a good reason too. Cause I know one of you m'er f'er's won't be able to distinguish between me and my char, and bring whatever IG.

Its like Tayre, Sintik, Maimara, and Klaive. I don't know their chars, never intereacted with them, and I am sure they are cool dudes in real life. But knowing who the chars are kinda ruins any chance of my char getting to know theirs?

Am I making any sense?

peam
09-05-2003, 11:10 PM
I blur nothing. I just script.

edge
09-05-2003, 11:12 PM
hehe. I am Ice, you are not. Can't be my friend now. I hate those people.

StrayRogue
09-05-2003, 11:18 PM
What I think you are talking about is the seperation between character and player, game and reality. Most people in GS don't seperate; they play themselves through their character. The more RP orientated people play different guises and persona's. Which is better? Well everyone has the right to take whatever pleasure from the game as they choose. Aslong as it does not encroach on others pleasures. Klaive's player, strikes me as someone who is a person played out through the mechanical avatar that is Klaive the character, the difference is only minimul. Others are more pronounced.

This inability to seperate, I feel, is what causes the most trouble in GS. People take things too personally, when it should not go beyond their character. Its a very large issue, that branches off into many other areas. I'll try to talk more when I am not having to save Maimara's ass during a hunt.

Halfsilver
09-05-2003, 11:23 PM
I sign all my posts with 'grays'

Just thought people would recognize that name moreso than my real name.

I can post as Darren, though.

-Darren :grin:

Scott
09-05-2003, 11:24 PM
I post my name just so people know who I am. I've met a lot of people I probably wouldn't have because I post my name. I've noticed a lot of people wanting to get to know my character in game from the boards. Hell, I went to icemule to visit Tayre because I wanted to see truely how he acted.

Nothing that is said on the boards is ever taken into the game by me. I've had one person come up to me and say something about me for editting a post, but that's it. (He did later apologize).

I'm just laid back then I really don't care if people get mad at what I say on the boards and take it in game. I play Gemstone for fun, and posting my name doesn't effect that so I'm not really worried about it.

CrystalTears
09-05-2003, 11:31 PM
I don't post my character's names because I don't want my opinions to have any relation to them. They are totally separate from me and I don't like to have to deal with my opinions in the game, and yes it has happened and no I didn't appreciate it.

Besides, I used to post my character's name on the boards and then I had a problem with one poster who had it in for me because my in-game husband killed his character so he took it personally against me as well and would bash me regardless of the topic or what I said. Once I stopped posting my name and changed my login name, he eventually found out who I am and started name dropping again to out me. I hate that.

Eek.. long post... been talking to Neildo too long. :P Basically what I wanted to say is that I know how to separate my character and real life but others can't, and when I play the game I'm escaping the real world, so I don't like to be reminded of some comment I made that they didn't like.

StrayRogue
09-05-2003, 11:37 PM
I know your characters name! Atleast one of em *pokes*

CrystalTears
09-05-2003, 11:39 PM
Ack! LOL! I forgot about you. :)

Ravenstorm
09-05-2003, 11:48 PM
Hmm. I've been "Ravenstorm' for so long, I just answer to it naturally. It's been ten, eleven years now. Even after I stopped playing GS, I used the name as my sign in for Inferno (though not as a character name) because so many former GSers were there and we'd often chat. Now I no longer play either, I still answer to 'Raven' though online in the GS and Inferno communities are the only places. It's got that nice, broken in feel to it like an overstuffed chair you've had for a decade and won't consider throwing away.

I've always tried to keep OOC and IC quite separate though, for the record. Mostly successfully I think.

Raven

[Edited on 9-6-2003 by Ravenstorm]

09-06-2003, 12:34 AM
Um... I post as Darien. I just use the name Klaive to sign my posts cause that's how I'm best known.

Klaive has said/done nothing out of game ever. All my posts are entirely OOC.

StrayRogue
09-06-2003, 12:36 AM
Ah, my mistake. Both the player and the character are egotistical, delusional, small minded idiots. Klaive the character is a vampire though, so there IS a difference.

AnticorRifling
09-06-2003, 12:39 AM
I post as with my character name because most people on the boards are more familiar with it than anything else.

I've never had a problem with myself or anyone else taking board things into the game. Heck I know specific times when a few of us would be at each other's necks on the boards and cool in the game and the opposite is true as well.

When people crap about things they hate about someone in game and don't have the balls to sign it with their character I think that's weak. Don't attack someone behind some little shield.

I can see the othre side as well though. Some people will take things from out of the game into the game and it can ruin the experience for some.

Bottom line;
Do what you feel like and understand that other people have their reasons for either using or not using their GS name.

09-06-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
Ah, my mistake. Both the player and the character are egotistical, delusional, small minded idiots. Klaive the character is a vampire though, so there IS a difference.

Uncalled for. Please stop attacking me.

Betheny
09-06-2003, 12:49 AM
Marry me, Stray. We'll have an army of little Strays to attack the idiots with.

Back
09-06-2003, 12:51 AM
I do not post my GS name because I can keep these boards and the game seperate. I don't want some clown harrassing me like I've seen others do. It hasen't happened yet, even though I've revealed who I am. I <3 all of you on these boards. It never goes IG with me.

StrayRogue
09-06-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Maimara
Marry me, Stray. We'll have an army of little Strays to attack the idiots with.

I would, my beloved, if your heart did not belong to someone else...:barf:

Adhara
09-06-2003, 12:58 AM
I have no problem distinguishing between game and RL. The day someone brings something from the boards to my char is the day I will change my handle.

Betheny
09-06-2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
I would, my beloved, if your heart did not belong to someone else...:barf:

Don't make me kill you.

theotherjohn
09-06-2003, 07:20 AM
I dont post using my characters name because most of them are for resale.

Betheny
09-06-2003, 07:28 AM
Shame on you!

Tsa`ah
09-06-2003, 01:09 PM
While I have noticed a handful of people that can't distinguish between the game, the boards, and reality. I can't agree that it is just those that post with character names. Certainly as of late, we've all seen non-character SNs with the blurring issue.

I haven't posted with my character's names since the official boards went from Java to HTML. In fact, I think that's the last time I posted anything on the official BBS. I prefer to keep my characters out of OOC conflicts or any potential grudges due to comments I, the player, make.

I am, at times, grateful that some choose to post as their characters, or at least with their character's name. There are those I wish no association with in any fashion.

StrayRogue
09-06-2003, 02:10 PM
Oh of course, I never meant that people who post using their character names, handles or whatever have anything to do with being able to distinguish. Having posted as Stay, I have noticed more people approach me in lights to RP though.