PDA

View Full Version : Scattered

Candor
04-22-2015, 09:43 AM
I am a capped rogue of a bit over 12 million exp. I attack by hiding/ambushing. I am not much of a spellcaster and only know 401-406, and 101-103.

I have never been to the Scattered, but have heard it is not a good place for a rogue hunting solo. Any advice on the matter?

Neovik1
04-22-2015, 11:52 AM
I feel like the scatter isn't so bad when I'm the only one up there. The moment someone else comes up there I'm probably going to die.

Neovik1
04-22-2015, 12:02 PM
Correction... I usually die. I'm axe and shield ambusher with spells up to 430 elementals.

I can one shot siphons and destroyers (most of the time)... Fetish will own me... The floating brains will usually take control of me and everything else will wreck me when that happens. So I avoid the brains (they can be one shotted) and fetish masters. If a destroyer disables my shield I'll usually hold out for that to wear off. Vanish is also my friend against destroyers since they swing faster than 6 seconds. Anything more than 1 target usually ends bad for me.

I usually just hide and sneak around up there. Fighting more than one critter will lead to my death.

stormcrow
04-22-2015, 12:11 PM
Yeah scatter is messy and pretty hard. If you get swarms of critters walking around it can get extremely hard. Enter at your own risk.

Androidpk
04-22-2015, 12:14 PM
What class handles scatter the best?

JackWhisper
04-22-2015, 12:16 PM
Kaedra.

Vindicate
04-22-2015, 12:30 PM
bingo JW

Androidpk
04-22-2015, 12:35 PM
Kaedra is a deity, not a class.

droit
04-22-2015, 12:54 PM
I think rangers are among the best Scatter hunters--at least post-cap ones. Archery one-shots cerebralites and siphons, and destroyers can be plinked with about 4 or 5 arrows. Fetish masters are easily one-shotted with 616, and liches are usually at least stunned with one cast (with overtrained ranger spells). I have one-shot liches with 616, but it's not common.

Neovik1
04-22-2015, 01:06 PM
How does an archer rogue do in there? I'm not one but I have thought about it.

droit
04-22-2015, 01:14 PM
An archer rogue would need a good way to take care of fetish masters and would be limited to the north side because liches would fuck his shit up.

Neovik1
04-22-2015, 01:19 PM
I always thought about trying to cman disarm a fetish master but haven't had the balls to attempt it yet.

everan
04-22-2015, 01:22 PM
Taverkin seems to make child's play of the whole place. I agree about the swarms, if you are alone up there, things are pretty good, but as soon as someone else steps in, the swarms are too much for me to handle.

Destroyers disarm? No wonder I avoid those things.

Neovik1
04-22-2015, 01:24 PM
Taverkin seems to make child's play of the whole place. I agree about the swarms, if you are alone up there, things are pretty good, but as soon as someone else steps in, the swarms are too much for me to handle.

Destroyers disarm? No wonder I avoid those things.

I've never seen one disarm up there. They do sunder your shield though if you have one.

Roblar
04-22-2015, 01:39 PM
They either sunder your shield (if you have one), or tackle/pin you to the ground if you don't.

Sundering a shield destroys it if it is not a magical material/enchanted shield. It disables/numbs your shield arm, as Neovik said, it the shield is magic/enchanted - causing a loss of shield use/block DS and any properties of the shield (enchant, ensorcell, TD, flares, resistance etc).

They can also war cry growl you into a frenzied/forced offensive stance for a time, as well a Side-by-Side other destroyers in the room, so that damage you deal one is spread out or parried by another.

droit
04-22-2015, 01:49 PM
I always thought about trying to cman disarm a fetish master but haven't had the balls to attempt it yet.

Here's what disarming a fetish master does for you:

>at mas
You swing a closed fist at a darkly inked fetish master!
AS: +279 vs DS: +699 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +47 = -348
A clean miss.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
>
>cman disa mas
[Roll result: 152 (open d100: 79) Penalties: 0]
Choosing your opening, you attempt to disarm a darkly inked fetish master's rotting wood staff with your empty hand and connect!
A darkly inked fetish master's rotting wood staff is knocked to the ground!
Roundtime: 5 sec.
>
at mas
AS: +466 vs DS: +630 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +7 = -132
A clean miss.

everan
04-22-2015, 02:24 PM
They either sunder your shield (if you have one), or tackle/pin you to the ground if you don't.

They can also war cry growl you into a frenzied/forced offensive stance for a time, as well a Side-by-Side other destroyers in the room, so that damage you deal one is spread out or parried by another.Oh, shield business, I don't care about that. Yeah, they like that frenzy, sends me running off for some peace and quiet while I cool off the rage.

Fallen
04-22-2015, 02:29 PM
It kinda sounds like a shitty place to hunt, to be honest. Is the treasure good? It doesn't sound like you can skin anything there.

droit
04-22-2015, 02:42 PM
Yeah, loot's pretty good most of the time. Once you get your rhythm down and hit a few large post-cap goals like dodge or 3x spells, it's not that difficult. I much prefer it to OTF, Nelemar, camps or the confluence--but, as I said, rangers are pretty ideal.

Neovik1
04-22-2015, 03:22 PM

>at mas
A clean miss.
>
>cman disa mas
Choosing your opening, you attempt to disarm a darkly inked fetish master's rotting wood staff with your empty hand and connect!
>
at mas
A clean miss.

Thanks for the info! So there is a slight possibility I might be able to hit one with the push down from an ambush in hiding.

Neovik1
04-22-2015, 03:26 PM
So cman disarm, swift kick, sweep or ewave, hide, ambush. Ok that's too much work.

Gelston
04-22-2015, 03:31 PM
Ladies and Gents, we are talking about the Lord of the Landing here. He can run that shit.

Silvean
04-22-2015, 03:32 PM
So cman disarm, swift kick, sweep or ewave, hide, ambush. Ok that's too much work.

Scatter is all about foreplay.

Neovik1
04-22-2015, 03:34 PM
Scatter is all about foreplay.

Well if you put it that way! Sign me up!

Archigeek
04-22-2015, 03:49 PM
You really have to have your technique down to hunt The Scatter effectively. Being well past cap also helps.

Some tips:

Don't feint fetish masters.
Knock down spells/maneuvers are great if you can pull them off up there, but tackle is ineffective because it takes way too long.
Trample is teh awesome.
Be careful with mstriking, The Scatter is not very forgiving of being in RT.

Give it a try, if it doesn't like you, we'll get your corpse out.

Neovik1
04-22-2015, 03:56 PM
I should really just bring up my mstrike and just hunt on five... That would probably be a safer bet. There still is the random **BAM** rift crawler just popped out of no where and snapped your fucking neck!

Roblar
04-22-2015, 04:19 PM
Some tips:

Don't feint fetish masters.

Maybe you meant destroyers?

Fetish masters are easy enough to feint. If their DS is too high I usually cut it down with a feint, tackle, and disarm.

Roblar
04-22-2015, 04:20 PM
And for that reason, I don't bother with them generally - too much work. :D

Of course you get that nice hurling DS and 3 second rt.

Archigeek
04-22-2015, 04:23 PM
Maybe you meant destroyers?

Fetish masters are easy enough to feint. If their DS is too high I usually cut it down with a feint, tackle, and disarm.

I did not mean Destroyers. Fetish Masters commonly cast Tangleweed from guarded stance. If you feint them up to offensive and they cast it at you, it's much more dangerous, probably more dangerous coming from them, than Spikethorn is. Granted, if you get them before they get you it's not an issue, but it has a downside. As a hurler with a shield, it's a non-issue for me, as their DS is lower to start with vs ranged/hurled, and trample is far more effective than feint.

Roblar
04-22-2015, 04:48 PM
Ah that makes sense. I think I read before about stance affecting some spells but didn't pay it much attention.

I like the destroyers to save time and because few if any pures used to be able to hunt them. They had better loot, remember those nice claidhmores and mauls? If only I found a golvern one.

Also, I feel like when we exchange mstrikes Crocodile Dundee is whispering, "That's not a knife..."

Androidpk
04-22-2015, 04:51 PM
What class is Taverkin?

JackWhisper
04-22-2015, 04:54 PM
Wiz

neimanz1
04-22-2015, 05:00 PM
shouldn't bards have it the easiest here? Insanely high AS with tonis they should be able to take down destroyers in like 1 or 2 shots and their CS is pretty high as well.

Neovik1
04-22-2015, 05:00 PM
Wiz

He's the Wiz!

http://i.imgur.com/fZcxG5i.gif

Androidpk
04-22-2015, 05:04 PM
He's the Wiz!

http://i.imgur.com/fZcxG5i.gif

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/6/63935/1388119-spongebob_wizard.jpg

Neovik1
04-22-2015, 05:05 PM
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/6/63935/1388119-spongebob_wizard.jpg

That actually looks spot on! Just need to ditch the boots.

Androidpk
04-22-2015, 06:39 PM
How do sorcerers compare?

Neovik1
04-22-2015, 09:42 PM

>at mas
A clean miss.
>
>cman disa mas
>
at mas
A clean miss.

cman disarm master>You come out of hiding.
[Roll result: 195 (open d100: 94) Bonus: 10]
You swing your forest green handaxe at a darkly inked fetish master's rotting wood staff and connect!

sweep master[Roll result: 164 (open d100: 43) Bonus: 25]
You crouch, sweep a leg at a darkly inked fetish master and connect!
A darkly inked fetish master falls to the ground! You deftly regain your footing.

stance defhide>You are now in a defensive stance.
>Roundtime: 2 sec.
You attempt to blend with the surroundings, and feel confident that no one has noticed your doing so.
>stance offambushYou are now in an offensive stance.
>You leap from hiding to attack!
You swing a perfect forest green handaxe at a darkly inked fetish master!
AS: +560 vs DS: +487 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +58 = +164
... and hit for 68 points of damage!
Brain driven into neck by mammoth downswing!
As a darkly inked fetish master slumps to the ground, the darkly lined tattoos traversing its skin lose the luminescence that had seemed to radiate from them.
A darkly inked fetish master appears less powerful.
A darkly inked fetish master seems to lose an aura of confidence.
The very powerful look leaves a darkly inked fetish master.
The white light leaves a darkly inked fetish master.
The deep blue glow leaves a darkly inked fetish master.
The light blue glow leaves a darkly inked fetish master.
Roundtime: 6 sec.

Repeated that several times with the same result... nice!

Danical
04-22-2015, 10:27 PM
The Scatter is reasonably easy for a post-cap bard. All hail 1030.

The biggest benefit, at least I thought, was 1035 and destroying phylacteries. I have no idea how the designers thought it was reasonable to spend 15+ seconds or whatever destroying phylacteries.

Neovik1
04-22-2015, 10:49 PM
Been through 4 hunts up there now tonight without any issues... even stayed up there a pretty long time trying to get an heirloom bounty completed... gave up on that... Left fried each time at least.

Disarming the Fetish Masters and ewaving them seems to work better for RT Reduction purposes. This is the first time in a long time I've retrieved my own boxes from critters I can learn from. The biggest threat up there now seems to just be the Destroyers... but vanish after a couple seconds and repeat seems to work pretty well on them. Just the stamina cost starts to add up after awhile and I need to stay hidden away from things for a little bit to recover.

Candor
04-23-2015, 06:52 AM
So I went up to the Scatter...

...and didn't lose a deed and got out. After what happened (I was down to 8 drops of blood not once, but twice), I think that's worth bragging about. Only reason I lived was due to my hiding skills and vanish. I did acquire one box which I can't open (and given that I should to able to open boxes up to around -1330, that says something).

No doubt I'm doing something wrong. For now, I'll stick to OTF and Nelemar.

Neovik1
04-23-2015, 07:55 AM
I think that's a pretty good experience for your first time up there. What was your hiding at? I'm only doubled but I feel like I might have an easier time up there bringing up my hiding. Before last night the last time I was really up in the scatter where I was getting my butt kicked was when I first capped and a few times after. I'm getting closer to 12m xp so it's probably helping a bit as well.

Candor
04-23-2015, 08:09 AM
I think that's a pretty good experience for your first time up there. What was your hiding at? I'm only doubled but I feel like I might have an easier time up there bringing up my hiding. Before last night the last time I was really up in the scatter where I was getting my butt kicked was when I first capped and a few times after. I'm getting closer to 12m xp so it's probably helping a bit as well.

I'm fully trained (3x) in stalk/hide, smastery at level 5 (which I had active most of the time), and vanish. Also I know the rogue gambit stealth stand so I can stand up without breaking the hide. I seemed to be reasonably safe while hidden, but as soon as I showed myself...boom. What a place.

I am heading back to OTF where it is safe.

Archigeek
04-23-2015, 11:23 AM
I'm fully trained (3x) in stalk/hide, smastery at level 5 (which I had active most of the time), and vanish. Also I know the rogue gambit stealth stand so I can stand up without breaking the hide. I seemed to be reasonably safe while hidden, but as soon as I showed myself...boom. What a place.

I am heading back to OTF where it is safe.

Yeah but, that's what makes it interesting. Safe is boring. If you survived your first Scatter hunt you are well ahead of the curve. How did your first OTF hunt go?

Candor
04-23-2015, 05:02 PM
Yeah but, that's what makes it interesting. Safe is boring. If you survived your first Scatter hunt you are well ahead of the curve. How did your first OTF hunt go?

I died and had my 8x shield stolen. Someone hunted down the scout that took the shield and returned it.

audioserf
04-24-2015, 10:44 AM
I really enjoyed the Scatter with my 10m exp mage. Granted, I did only hunt the North side. I had to keep an eye out for the Vvrael and run very specific and careful tactics with the rest of the stuff, but it was a straight-up rush finishing a hunt in the Scatter.

Fallen
04-24-2015, 10:49 AM
I really enjoyed the Scatter with my 10m exp mage. Granted, I did only hunt the North side. I had to keep an eye out for the Vvrael and run very specific and careful tactics with the rest of the stuff, but it was a straight-up rush finishing a hunt in the Scatter.

Immo build with perma-haste? I've played around a bit with this a with a 90ish character. It was a lot of fun.

audioserf
04-24-2015, 10:55 AM
Nah, I was a weirdo. 101/101/101 spell training, padded leather breastplate, half-krolvin and lots of Air lore.

I miss that wizard.

Fallen
04-24-2015, 10:56 AM
Nah, I was a weirdo. 101/101/101 spell training, padded leather breastplate, half-krolvin and lots of Air lore.

I miss that wizard.

That is pretty out there. Respect for the LBP as a casting wizard. Their spell hindrance is ridiculous.

Luftstreitkräfte
04-24-2015, 12:14 PM
sounds like a swinger to me. THINK!

audioserf
04-24-2015, 12:26 PM
Nope. Hung up the maul at 60ish. Pure caster all the way. The hinderance was liveable as hell. It presented the largest risks in the Scatter of anywhere in the game, granted, but it was always worth it for the protection. I imagine if I had started to hunt liches I would have gone down to fulls.

Neovik1
05-01-2015, 09:44 AM
I'm starting to really enjoy hunting in the scatter. I only had one cheap death running there so far the last few weeks. But all and all I like it now that I'm no longer afraid of it. Just needed to get over that fear and now I'm set! Next stop liches!

Archigeek
05-01-2015, 10:04 AM
Liches still suck. They're so fast it's ridiculous. Ths Scatter was actually designed for group hunting, and while I don't think it has really panned out the way it was planned, liches are the most obviously intended for a group.

everan
05-01-2015, 10:50 AM
Liches still suck. They're so fast it's ridiculous. Ths Scatter was actually designed for group hunting, and while I don't think it has really panned out the way it was planned, liches are the most obviously intended for a group.

That and I found out they can still cast higher than I can ward, albeit with a 95 roll. I thought I was safe from that. Now I have to go back to working on them first.

Archigeek
05-01-2015, 11:45 AM
That and I found out they can still cast higher than I can ward, albeit with a 95 roll. I thought I was safe from that. Now I have to go back to working on them first.

Their dispell is brutal. I can ward them most of the time so long as my spells stay up, but they have a lot of nasty options in their repertoire, and a very high DS if their wizard shield is up. Makes for a pretty good challenge.