PDA

View Full Version : Invasion = New Servers

Andrath
10-16-2004, 10:23 AM
I was on Teras last night and couldn't even look in my cloak without waiting 5sec while the invasion was going on...when the last invasion happened I couldnt even LOOK without waiting around 15. I think if Simutronics is going to implement mass invasions they should upgrade their servers to handle the traffic, I mean...it went from 9.95$/month when I started playing to 14.95$/month, what're we paying the extra 5$ for it they can't even make the gameplay smooth enough if an invasion situation?

(I know theres going to be someone telling me to quit if I don't wanna pay that much or play with the lag.)

Drew2
10-16-2004, 10:29 AM
Quit if you don't want to pay that much or play with lag.

Xcalibur
10-16-2004, 10:35 AM
Mass reports, ask your buddies to do the same. Write letters showing how piss you are and that you are about to quit if the situation doesn'T change

Same for your buddies.

They will do something, you are among the rare that are still playing, remember?

Artha
10-16-2004, 10:47 AM
It's probably not Simu's servers, but rather ones along the route to get to wherever you live. I had lag last night, yeah, but it wasn't horrible like yours apparently was.

Mistomeer
10-16-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Artha
It's probably not Simu's servers, but rather ones along the route to get to wherever you live. I had lag last night, yeah, but it wasn't horrible like yours apparently was.

There are no "servers" along the route.

Lag always gets bad during invasions and that's just going to be the Simu server not keeping up.

Drew2
10-16-2004, 11:03 AM
...please learn how the internet works.

Nieninque
10-16-2004, 11:45 AM
Can you teach me?

Andrath
10-16-2004, 12:08 PM
Yea, among the rare! LMAO! That's funny...yea, FL had bad lag wether it was the route or not, they need to do somethin to speed it up during invasions.

Artha
10-16-2004, 12:10 PM
If people wouldn't cast things that create a giant amount of scroll (Cone of lightning, whatever that symbol that goes after everything in the room is, etc) then the lag wouldn't be nearly as bad.

Andrath
10-16-2004, 12:55 PM
Cone lightning, implosion, maelstrom...mostly cone/maelstrom during invasions..since wiz/sorc are the most powerful at that time.

Andrath
10-16-2004, 12:56 PM
:up:

Seran
10-16-2004, 06:14 PM
You can almost make the argument that it's the routers your connection takes to reach the simutronics server, but it should be a consistant lag, not one that -happens- to appear during large scale Gemstone IV events. However, I am of the mind that something needs to be done about the ridiculous amounts of lag. I play several free games with little to no lag, but when it does occur people understand. Here each of us pays anywhere from 15.95 to 50.00 dollars a month, the least Simutronics can do is invest in a few more dedicated connections through whichever ISP they subscribe.

10-16-2004, 06:15 PM
I had almost no lag and am on 56k.

- Arkans

Artha
10-16-2004, 06:22 PM
Chances are those free games you play have less than 100 people logged on at any time. Right now, there are almost 750 people playing Gemstone, and it isn't even Primetime.

Seran
10-16-2004, 07:24 PM
Usually about 120 average and there is no lag. Now, consider there are likely a few thousand active active at anytime and look at the amount of revenue they get for their various games. It's pretty hard to expect players to deal with lag that often results in character death when they have a large invasion, or a huge raffle like that first Erithian Katana raffle. I play the game, and am fairly content, but I'm simply trying to put a voice to a number of individual's concerns.

Wezas
10-16-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Tayre
...please learn how the internet works.

Originally posted by Nieninque
Can you teach me?

For those curious (I realize you may have just been trying to be a smartass) - this is what Tayre means:

When I connect to yahoo.com:

http://members.cox.net/legendwezas/yahoo.jpg

There are several "hops" between my IP address (which I have omitted, you fuckers) and yahoo.com. So we are not "directly" connected to certain sites/addresses - we hop from server to server on our way there.

While this doesn't explain lag that happens only during invasions - network traffic on some of the servers you're hopping through may slow down your packet sends/retrievals.

[Edited on 10-17-2004 by Wezas]

Mistomeer
10-16-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Seran
You can almost make the argument that it's the routers your connection takes to reach the simutronics server, but it should be a consistant lag, not one that -happens- to appear during large scale Gemstone IV events. However, I am of the mind that something needs to be done about the ridiculous amounts of lag. I play several free games with little to no lag, but when it does occur people understand. Here each of us pays anywhere from 15.95 to 50.00 dollars a month, the least Simutronics can do is invest in a few more dedicated connections through whichever ISP they subscribe.

Exactly. If there was a problem with a router between you and Simu, the problem wouldn't only surface during invasions.

Ivex
10-17-2004, 09:55 PM
My lag was so bad that I was dropped from the server in the middle of a room full of death knights. Whee.

Simu needs to find an ISP with a higher upload cap. It's 2004 for crying out loud :P

Seran
10-18-2004, 02:35 AM
Which is exactly what I was trying to point out to Tayre for his enlightening post. As for the number of hops, packet loss and ping rates, I've tested that during what would be considered peak time for my area

Consider I live in a city of about 450k on a cable modem whose service provider caters to about 2/3rds of the town. I live in Bakersfield,CA and the server is in Missouri. The night before last during the Landing invasion I did a tracert and got 77ms on everything up until the last two which capped out. It is not a problem on my end, nor any of the routers in between. My down/up rates average 2500/351. Point is, it's Simutronics overworked server and connection, not the players.

Originally posted by Mistomeer

Exactly. If there was a problem with a router between you and Simu, the problem wouldn't only surface during invasions.

BigBadBonar
10-18-2004, 08:48 AM
Damn, I wanted Wezas's IP

Andrath
10-18-2004, 09:35 PM
So, I was right about them needing new servers. Thanx guys.