PDA

View Full Version : Account Login Now Required at Wiki?

Luxelle
04-01-2015, 09:59 PM
... whine. Whine. WHINE.

I'm not logging in to read a Wiki. *Especially* when they removed all the documentation from the main site.

Way bad call, that.

Tgo01
04-01-2015, 10:10 PM
... whine. Whine. WHINE.

I'm not logging in to read a Wiki. *Especially* when they removed all the documentation from the main site.

Way bad call, that.

You'll log on and you'll like it!

Luscinia
04-01-2015, 10:10 PM
There is almost no chance this is intentional, though it would be nice if there were any official acknowledgement.

You can still read the official docs at http://www.play.net/gs4/info/index_of_docs.asp.

elcidcannon
04-01-2015, 10:11 PM
it's still play.net

Luxelle
04-01-2015, 10:14 PM
You can still read the official docs at http://www.play.net/gs4/info/index_of_docs.asp.

So everything is still there, they just turned off all the referenced links to it?

I am not sure I have words for that, either.

Thank you so much for that information.

~L.

Tgo01
04-01-2015, 10:15 PM
I also like how people for decades now have been complaining about how out of date the official documentation was so instead of, y'know, updating it, they took over Krakiipedia, called it the "official" Wiki, linked to it and encourages all of the players to keep it up to date.

I tell ya, Simu is the king of exploiting free labor. I wonder why major corporations haven't tapped them yet to help run their business. Imagine, legions of factories full of people volunteering to work for nothing.

JackWhisper
04-02-2015, 12:49 AM
The *FUNNIEST* part about this, is *this happened AFTER they took over the wiki and called it the *OFFICIAL* GS wiki source*... I had a talk with a GM.

Me: So I read the wiki, and talked to players, and nothing said this could happen.
GM: Well the wiki is unofficial. It's all player input.
Me: It's player input but you guys called it the 'official' wiki source.
GM: Players input the information there. That's unofficial.
Me: Then why did you take over Krakii?
GM: We are getting off topic here.

:axe:

Androidpk
04-02-2015, 12:50 AM
Wasn't it originally a GM project by Naos?

Smythe
04-02-2015, 12:56 AM
Wasn't it originally a GM project by Naos?

Shhh, yer messin' with a rant. Pass some popcorn.

- Smythe

Lady Sylvan
04-02-2015, 06:02 AM
You can type what your looking for into the search box and it pulls up the pages you need. I still use the enchanting page as a reference.

Jarvan
04-02-2015, 06:21 AM
I also like how people for decades now have been complaining about how out of date the official documentation was so instead of, y'know, updating it, they took over Krakiipedia, called it the "official" Wiki, linked to it and encourages all of the players to keep it up to date.

I tell ya, Simu is the king of exploiting free labor. I wonder why major corporations haven't tapped them yet to help run their business. Imagine, legions of factories full of people volunteering to work for nothing.

Imagine if SIMU was a real video game company with a top shelf product with a million subs.

They get what, 20k or so per event from like 100-200 people tops? About say 20% of the player base.

How much would they get for 200k people....

Androidpk
04-02-2015, 06:27 AM
A merchant event with 200 people can drive you nut. 200,000?? :banghead:

Taernath
04-02-2015, 07:37 AM
A merchant event with 200 people can drive you nut. 200,000?? :banghead:

I doubt the server is capable of going above 5k.

Ashliana
04-02-2015, 09:12 AM

Don't you know? This is how they keep the price of subscription so low, and such a good deal for us players.

Wrathbringer
04-02-2015, 09:16 AM
You'll log on and you'll like it!

Lol'd

"Hey, do we still have a phone and e-mail? Great! Ongoing phone and e-mail support!"

Soulance
04-02-2015, 10:17 AM
"Hey, do we still have a phone and e-mail? Great! Ongoing phone and e-mail support!"
Nope, sorry Wrath, no email. That's waaaaaay ahead of the times. You have to fax in your issue. Or, you can write to... PO BOX 384... We will get back to you in 6-8 weeks...or months...or years... whichever comes first.

Astray
04-02-2015, 10:25 AM
http://i.imgur.com/qnl9Z6j.gif

subzero
04-02-2015, 10:39 AM

China learned!

rolfard
04-02-2015, 10:40 AM
You *have* to login? Can you do so using a free account?

Taernath
04-02-2015, 10:53 AM

Last time I called I got an answering machine. So they've got 'automated message transcriber support' too.

Luxelle
04-02-2015, 12:01 PM
Not even search works for me. So, bah, if they want me to study up on things, I'll be able to do so. Until then ... I'm making things up.

Astray
04-02-2015, 12:04 PM
Not even search works for me. So, bah, if they want me to study up on things, I'll be able to do so. Until then ... I'm making things up.

Yeah, search leads me to a login as well...

Allereli
04-02-2015, 12:07 PM
search instructions have been re-added to the help page https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Help:Contents

Astray
04-02-2015, 12:07 PM
search instructions have been re-added to the help page https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Help:Contents

I get a redirect to a login.

Allereli
04-02-2015, 12:08 PM

so login

Astray
04-02-2015, 12:09 PM
so login

I did and I can see the page but why is a login even required?

Allereli
04-02-2015, 12:10 PM
I did and I can see the page but why is a login even required?

because the wiki is broken

HQ has to fix it. It may be a while.

Astray
04-02-2015, 12:11 PM
because the wiki is broken

HQ has to fix it. It may be a while.

So the login requirement is a result of being broken? That is a weird break.

Allereli
04-02-2015, 12:14 PM
So the login requirement is a result of being broken? That is a weird break.

better than it being open to bots to edit.

Wrathbringer
04-02-2015, 12:16 PM

your gswiki pass probably ran out. You'll have to buy another.

Taernath

Having to log in to edit it would make more sense than having to log in to view it.

Astray

Eh, agreed. Though I can't really see many people clamoring to fuck with the wiki of an obscure, p2p mud.

mgoddess
04-02-2015, 12:18 PM

so login

There's some of us who CAN'T log in... we try over and over and over again, and it won't take.

And, yes, I realize it's probably broken, and that I should just wait until it gets fixed, but what if the need arises for me to go find something on the wiki while I'm playing, and it isn't fixed yet?

Allereli
Eh, agreed. Though I can't really see many people clamoring to fuck with the wiki of an obscure, p2p mud.

it was opened for about 15 minutes in February. the bots don't target anyone specifically, they just target any open wiki. they made a mess.

Wrathbringer
Having to log in to edit it would make more sense than having to log in to view it.

HEY YOU GTFO OF HERE WITH YOUR FANCY LOGIC THAT IS COMPLETELY AIR TIGHT

Allereli
04-02-2015, 12:19 PM
There's some of us who CAN'T log in... we try over and over and over again, and it won't take.

And, yes, I realize it's probably broken, and that I should just wait until it gets fixed, but what if the need arises for me to go find something on the wiki while I'm playing, and it isn't fixed yet?

do what all the other people do who are too lazy to search it and ask on lnet? has anyone tried the gswiki script since the site broke?

mgoddess
04-02-2015, 12:22 PM
do what all the other people do who are too lazy to search it and ask on lnet? has anyone tried the gswiki script since the site broke?

Yeah, I tried the gswiki script yesterday evening, it failed.

And, yeah, LNet's an option, I suppose. Or, not playing, but meh. I'd rather not be lazy, I'd rather be able to find the answer on my own, which I can't do because the wiki's broken, and yeah... *whinewhinewhine*

Taernath
04-02-2015, 12:22 PM
HEY YOU GTFO OF HERE WITH YOUR FANCY LOGIC THAT IS COMPLETELY AIR TIGHT

You just got Taernath'd

Wrathbringer
04-02-2015, 12:23 PM
You just got Taernath'd

:gawk:

DaCapn
04-02-2015, 12:36 PM
I like how people come to the PC (where GMs won't respond) to ask "why is this like this?!" and people go to the officials to flip out about why there shouldn't be a login required.

Yeah, I tried the gswiki script yesterday evening, it failed.

And, yeah, LNet's an option, I suppose. Or, not playing, but meh. I'd rather not be lazy, I'd rather be able to find the answer on my own, which I can't do because the wiki's broken, and yeah... *whinewhinewhine*

Since you can't log in for some reason (though most people can)... A quick lesson in the internet: Use google with "site:gswiki.play.net", see the results, look at the cached version in google. Or take the URL you find and type it into archive.org.

mgoddess
04-02-2015, 01:02 PM
Use google with "site:gswiki.play.net", see the results, look at the cached version in google. Or take the URL you find and type it into archive.org.

Bahahahahaha.... and the Internet wins again! Thanks for this. It'll definitely hold me over until the Wiki situation gets fixed (hopefully for the better).

Tgo01
04-02-2015, 02:39 PM
do what all the other people do who are too lazy to search it and ask on lnet?

Ask on lnet why people ask things on lnet.

Gelston
04-02-2015, 03:27 PM
And easier option is to just quit GS and play PC Forum instead. It is free at all levels.

iJin
04-02-2015, 03:32 PM
What level are you Gelston, at this PC game?

Gelston
04-02-2015, 03:33 PM
What level are you Gelston, at this PC game?

Latrinsorm
04-02-2015, 03:54 PM
12,899/thump

Gelston
04-02-2015, 03:55 PM
/thump

Nope, I'm above the max level of 5.

Luxelle
04-02-2015, 08:02 PM
Google didn't have cached versions of the wiki pages when I checked for a couple things I was trying to find out, that was totally the first thing I tried. Which just made me whine about it all to you nice folks. And I don't whine often!

Nathala Crane
04-02-2015, 08:11 PM
I don't like it. If they want to attract new players, making the primary resource for prospective n00bs to - you know - learn about the game locked behind a login/password seems pretty counterintuitive to me.

(Plus it feels like the damned thing makes me log in again every few minutes.)

Tgo01
04-02-2015, 08:13 PM
Terrorists! The lot of you!

Soulance
04-02-2015, 08:43 PM
Searches seem to not be working very well on the wiki again either. Unless they took the info down - like Four Winds.

mgoddess
04-03-2015, 11:23 AM
Annnd, for anyone who's interested, I figured out my specific problem with not being able to log into the wiki.... it's called password-Wiki fail. My password on my account is long and convoluted, too long & convoluted for the Wiki to understand. I changed up the password, and now it works perfectly.

So, if anyone's getting log-in errors on the Wiki, where your credentials work just fine on the rest of the play.net website, make sure you have your username in all CAPS, and make sure your password is 20 characters or less. :)

Latrinsorm
04-03-2015, 11:24 AM
Spammers are a real problem on any website, but the easiest ways to stop them render the website almost unusable. It is unfortunate but not surprising that Simu has gone with such a way in this case.

Allereli
04-03-2015, 11:30 AM
Spammers are a real problem on any website, but the easiest ways to stop them render the website almost unusable. It is unfortunate but not surprising that Simu has gone with such a way in this case.

Simu is not trying to do anything to make it work poorly. This type of assumption really does not help anyone.

Androidpk
04-03-2015, 11:31 AM
Simu is not trying to do anything to make it work poorly. This type of assumption really does not help anyone.

What is the problem then?

Tgo01
04-03-2015, 11:37 AM
Annnd, for anyone who's interested, I figured out my specific problem with not being able to log into the wiki.... it's called password-Wiki fail. My password on my main F2P account is long and convoluted, too long & convoluted for the Wiki to understand. I changed up the password, and now it works perfectly.

So, if anyone's getting log-in errors on the Wiki, where your credentials work just fine on the rest of the play.net website, make sure you have your username in all CAPS, and make sure your password is 20 characters or less. :)

Wait, so free accounts can log on and edit the Wiki? How is this solving any sort of problem? :/

I actually thought it was a good thing that free accounts can't log on to the wiki, I just thought it was stupid to require logging in to view the wiki.

You done goofed, Simu!

Allereli
04-03-2015, 11:43 AM
What is the problem then?

not entirely sure what is going on right now, but there have been some backbone programming issues with the wiki that HQ has to fix. I was told that when they went to fix the file upload issue they found a lot more problems, but the other problems weren't specified. It's probable that in their initial attempt to fix it they made it worse, but everyone just has to be patient and not jump to assumptions, and give them time to fix it. And posting about it here doesn't help because they cannot respond to you.

If you think everything was fine with Oliver running the site, you are sorely mistaken, evidenced in how more people could not become editors, and the out of date addons installed. Simu is slow, but they are trying to modernize the wiki. I have no idea why there are so many issues since they've been managing DR's for over a year, but there is no conspiracy.

Androidpk
04-03-2015, 11:46 AM
not entirely sure what is going on right now, but there have been some backbone programming issues with the wiki that HQ has to fix. I was told that when they went to fix the file upload issue they found a lot more problems, but the other problems weren't specified. It's probable that in their initial attempt to fix it they made it worse, but everyone just has to be patient and not jump to assumptions, and give them time to fix it. And posting about it here doesn't help because they cannot respond to you.

If you think everything was fine with Oliver running the site, you are sorely mistaken, evidenced in how more people could not become editors, and the out of date addons installed. Simu is slow, but they are trying to modernize the wiki. I have no idea why there are so many issues since they've been managing DR's for over a year, but there is no conspiracy.

That is good to hear. I checked on the main forums for any kind of update but couldn't find one. Now my monk guide is going to be delayed even longer!

Astray
04-03-2015, 11:48 AM
It's probable that in their initial attempt to fix it they made it worse

Par the course!

Simu is slow, but they are trying to modernize the wiki.

Why aren't they attempting to modernize their forums? Those are fucking ancient.

Allereli
04-03-2015, 11:50 AM
Why aren't they attempting to modernize their forums? Those are fucking ancient.

I only edit the wiki, I was included in some information because I do a lot of edits. I have no other information about Simu. Please post these questions on the officials.

Astray
04-03-2015, 11:52 AM
I only edit the wiki, I was included in some information because I do a lot of edits. I have no other information about Simu. Please post these questions on the officials.

Maybe that's why they don't update the forums. People would actually start using them to ask questions.

Silvean
04-03-2015, 11:54 AM

Someone probably knows more, but I remember them saying that it would take a lot of effort to change the forums because of the way they were designed to interface with accounts. Now that we have the Wiki to preserve information, it may be best that their small pool of resources goes toward improving in-game stuff. And I say that as someone who likes the forums as a concept; I do a lot of my roleplaying on there.

Androidpk
04-03-2015, 11:55 AM
Someone probably knows more, but I remember them saying that it would take a lot of effort to change the forums because of the way they were designed to interface with accounts. Now that we have the Wiki to preserve information, it may be best that their small pool of resources goes toward improving in-game stuff. And I say that as someone who likes the forums as a concept; I do a lot of my roleplaying on there.

This. The forums are directly tied to the billing system and they said to change it would require a complete overhaul of eveything.

Astray
04-03-2015, 11:57 AM
This. The forums are directly tied to the billing system and they said to change it would require a complete overhaul of eveything.

Ah. That makes sense.

Latrinsorm
04-03-2015, 12:07 PM

If you think everything was fine with Oliver running the site, you are sorely mistaken, evidenced in how more people could not become editors, and the out of date addons installed. Simu is slow, but they are trying to modernize the wiki. I have no idea why there are so many issues since they've been managing DR's for over a year, but there is no conspiracy.You said the log-in was better than it being open to bots, I pointed out that sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. I don't know how "conspiracy" got into it.

Allereli
04-03-2015, 12:32 PM
You said the log-in was better than it being open to bots, I pointed out that sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. I don't know how "conspiracy" got into it.

I didn't say it was intentional. It is a better bad situation than having the wiki be left open.

Latrinsorm
04-03-2015, 12:33 PM
You beggar credulity, madam.

Silvean
04-03-2015, 12:36 PM
Resources notwithstanding, I guess they could make a new forum from the ground up and just close off the old one. They could also release the planet-destroying power of 750, undead dragon mounts, and the Major Silvean spell circle.

Androidpk
04-03-2015, 12:40 PM
Major Silvean is implemented already. They renamed it minor mental.

Gelston
04-03-2015, 12:42 PM
I don't know why they are so worried about the forums interfacing with billing in the first place.

Soulance
04-03-2015, 12:50 PM
I thought it was closed to editing unless you had a login. So why can't you at least browse the thing freely? If you edit it you need to login. Is it because of the F2P thing and people can just create accounts to use for botting the Wiki?

Silvean
04-03-2015, 12:50 PM
Major Silvean is implemented already. They renamed it minor mental.

yukyukyuk.

http://petsbunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/laughing-horse-photos-348.jpg

mgoddess
04-03-2015, 01:01 PM
I thought it was closed to editing unless you had a login. So why can't you at least browse the thing freely? If you edit it you need to login. Is it because of the F2P thing and people can just create accounts to use for botting the Wiki?

Precisely this, I'm guessing.

Niomar
04-06-2015, 06:35 PM
It looks like this issue is fixed. You no longer have to login just to read the wiki.

JackWhisper
04-06-2015, 06:37 PM
They must have met their purchase quota for WikiView Passes.

mgoddess
04-06-2015, 07:03 PM
It looks like this issue is fixed. You no longer have to login just to read the wiki.
Glad they got it fixed, and thanks for posting to let us know.

DaCapn
04-07-2015, 02:43 AM
They must have met their purchase quota for WikiView Passes.

Probably just their quota of people flipping their shit and spraying out idiotic speculation and nonsense.