PDA

View Full Version : Entertainment overload?

Tgo01
03-06-2015, 06:18 PM
Do we have perhaps too much access to entertainment these days? When I was younger I loved video games, I could get a game and play it for hours at a time until I finished it and most of the time I would finish it again. I would play countless full games of Civ 2 and 3, I would play a Final Fantasy game until I finished it then I would play it again and try to find all items and max all stats. I loved video games.

Every year that goes by though I seem to get less and less interested in games. I'll play a game for a while but then it's just like, meh. I can't remember the last game I actually played until I finished it, unless it was a really short 2 hour game anyways.

But the thing is I still enjoy gaming, it just seems like I always think there is something more interesting to do. I can watch just about any TV show or movie ever made online now yet I have the same problem with movies. When I was younger I used to love watching VHS movies, I would usually watch the same movie multiple times. I think it was because back then my family didn't really visit the movie rental store all that often so it was like a treat when I had a new movie to watch. I would actually look forward to watching a movie, it just seemed to awesome. Now I usually can't be bothered to watch a movie and even if I do watch a movie I usually have it playing on my TV while I'm fiddling around doing something else.

When I do sit down to watch a movie with no other distractions I'm not usually impressed. Sure every once in a while a movie will be just so awesome that I love every minute of it (like Guardians of the Galaxy) but for the most part I'm really not impressed with movies these days.

I think that's part of my problem with games too; when I was younger I only got a handful of games a year but now I can hop on Steam and download a completely new game in a matter of minutes and I end up not usually being that impressed with games. Dragon Age games are a good example of this; I loved part 1 and played it for hours and finished it. I bought part 2 but didn't get very far and I bought part 3 but couldn't get into it and took advantage of Origin's return policy.

Unlimited access to movies, games, music, TV shows, YouTube videos, Wikipedia, knowledge, giant 100 inch television screens, 3+ gaming consoles instead of 1, virtual reality a near possibility.

Too many entertainment options! Can the human mind survive all of this entertainment? Should we demand the entertainment industry to actually produce less entertainment?

Or maybe I just have ADHD?

Warriorbird
03-06-2015, 06:19 PM
Some of the things you mention aren't very good. Dragon Age and Final Fantasy went way downhill.

Fallen
03-06-2015, 06:23 PM
A sign of depression is no longer taking Interest/joy from activities you once enjoyed.

Androidpk
03-06-2015, 06:30 PM
A sign of depression is no longer taking Interest/joy from activities you once enjoyed.

It's also a sign of getting older.

Back
03-06-2015, 06:30 PM
I agree there is a saturation of entertainment but that is the current marketplace. All those choices drive prices down. Only the really good movies, tv shows, and games will rise to the top. It would be silly to ask people to stop being creative. Ultimately the almighty dollar will decide who wins.

If HBO starts making sucky shows expect, or EA produces shitty games, or whatever, there are plenty of people to fill in the void.

Revel in the luxury. This is a first world problem.

Taernath
03-06-2015, 06:35 PM
I'm playing the Master Chief collection on Xbone, and it reminded me that when the original Halo first came out, I played the crap out of it. Beating the game on legendary felt like a really fulfilling accomplishment before achievement points were even a thing. Now, replaying Halo, I never felt like doing it again and it's the same across virtually every game I play. Play on normal or easy for the story, then move on.

I still put a lot of time into strategy games like Civ or Crusader Kings / Europa Universalis, but those are the only type really.

Some of the things you mention aren't very good. Dragon Age and Final Fantasy went way downhill.

Damn, I kinda like DA3 more than the first one.

Tgo01
03-06-2015, 06:37 PM

True, I haven't played a FF game since part 10.

I've actually thought about that before but I still do things I enjoy, it just seems like there is always something else in the back of my mind saying "Doesn't this sound more fun to be doing right now?" and then I say "Yes, Satan" and go do that thing.

It's also a sign of getting older.

You bite your tongue! I'm only 19!

This is a first world problem.

That does it. I'm going off the grid.

Astray
03-06-2015, 06:40 PM
Sometimes I get too frustrated or just over saturate myself with the stuff. A time off from your hobbies can help.

Tgo01
03-06-2015, 06:40 PM
I'm playing the Master Chief collection on Xbone, and it reminded me that when the original Halo first came out, I played the crap out of it. Beating the game on legendary felt like a really fulfilling accomplishment before achievement points were even a thing. Now, replaying Halo, I never felt like doing it again and it's the same across virtually every game I play. Play on normal or easy for the story, then move on.

Exactly! I remember playing old school Dragon Warriors 1, 2, and 3 several times each. The games never seem to get old. Now I can't even bring myself to play some of the newer ones. Aren't they up to 10 now or something?

Tgo01
03-06-2015, 06:49 PM
I also wonder if I'm too picky with my free time these days. Like for example I love The Big Bang Theory (all you haters suck!), I own all episodes on Amazon and can watch them whenever I want. I usually watch at least 1 episode every day and I never get tired of watching it.

Although I ended up loving Breaking Bad it took me forever to get around to watching it on Netflix. Same thing happened with Parks and Recreation. It's always in the back of my mind "Why watch this show I might end up hating when I know I love watching Big Bang Theory?"

Anyone else do this? Am I just crazy?

Taernath
03-06-2015, 06:51 PM
Exactly! I remember playing old school Dragon Warriors 1, 2, and 3 several times each. The games never seem to get old. Now I can't even bring myself to play some of the newer ones. Aren't they up to 10 now or something?

Halo 1-4 for the main series, ODST and Halo: Reach for the spinoffs. There were a couple non-FPS in there too.

Tenlaar
03-06-2015, 06:55 PM
I'm the same way about getting around to watching tv shows. Right now I'm binge watching...Heroes.

NO SPOILERS!

Warriorbird
03-06-2015, 07:04 PM
I'm the same way about getting around to watching tv shows. Right now I'm binge watching...Heroes.

NO SPOILERS!

Spoiler: The show gets cancelled.

(Still worth the watch though.)

Latrinsorm
03-06-2015, 07:29 PM
When you were a child, you used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when you become a man, you do away with childish things.

excerpt from Shia LeBouf's Meditations

Taernath
03-06-2015, 07:39 PM
When you were a child, you used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when you become a man, you do away with childish things.

I want to neg rep you so hard right now.

Candor
03-06-2015, 08:39 PM
If you want a real challenge and can do without state-of-the-art graphics, play nethack. I dare you. It's old school, but people still play it.

Yes, you have to (drum roll.......) think, and unless you read the spoilers on the web, it will take quite some time to win the game. Even if you read the spoilers, it's not exactly easy. The game has considerable depth compared to many other games these days.

It is certainly not impossible to win, but like I said...good luck...

Oh, it's freeware.

http://www.nethack.org/

Tgo01
03-06-2015, 08:54 PM
Thread: Entertainment overload?

maybe ur just a gay fag

That's certainly a possibility but I'm pretty sure gay folks like to engage in non homosexual entertainment as well.

If you want a real challenge and can do without state-of-the-art graphics, play nethack. I dare you. It's old school, but people still play it.

Yes, you have to (drum roll.......) think, and unless you read the spoilers on the web, it will take quite some time to win the game. Even if you read the spoilers, it's not exactly easy. The game has considerable depth compared to many other games these days.

It is certainly not impossible to win, but like I said...good luck...

Oh, it's freeware.

http://www.nethack.org/

The name of that game sounds awfully familiar.

Androidpk
03-06-2015, 09:01 PM
Wouldn't a gay fag be a heterosexual?

Astray
03-06-2015, 09:01 PM
You would think, but no. It's basically a very gay man.

waywardgs
03-06-2015, 10:44 PM
I remember playing zork when I was a kid. Zork was awesome. That is all.

Tisket
03-06-2015, 10:47 PM

That man has got to stop plagiarizing.

Androidpk
03-06-2015, 10:50 PM
I never played Zork but I did play Leather Goddesses of Phobos.