PDA

View Full Version : The website is down.

Tillmen
01-15-2015, 01:46 PM
In case anyone was wondering, the Lich server is currently being hit with another DDoS attack.

Gelston
01-15-2015, 01:49 PM
Is it North Korea?

Gelston
01-15-2015, 01:50 PM
Wait, wait... IT IS THE LIZARD SQUAD!!!!!!!!!

Je suis LNet.

Gizmo
01-15-2015, 01:56 PM
Simu is DDoSing Lich

Tgo01
01-15-2015, 02:05 PM
In case anyone was wandering, the Lich server is currently being hit with another DDoS attack.

Is your provider going to drop you for being the victim of another DDoS attack? :O

Fallen
01-15-2015, 02:06 PM
Who in the god golly fuckballs would bother to DDoS Lich?

Gelston
01-15-2015, 02:07 PM

LNet is used as a top secret way for intelligence assets to communicate to their handlers.

Wrathbringer
01-15-2015, 02:07 PM

Candor.

Gelston
01-15-2015, 02:08 PM
Candor.

And that.

Allereli
01-15-2015, 02:14 PM

Let's face it, some crazy people with technical skills have played this game and rage quit.

Tillmen
01-15-2015, 02:39 PM
Is your provider going to drop you for being the victim of another DDoS attack? :O

They said this was my final warning. Once more and they drop me.

Gelston
01-15-2015, 02:40 PM

And this is how the terrorists win.

Candor
01-15-2015, 02:42 PM
Candor.

While I suppose you think falsely accusing others of illegal activity is somehow humorous, I can assure you I treat the concept far more seriously. I suggest you think before you ever post slanderous statements like that again.

Gelston
01-15-2015, 02:45 PM
While I suppose you think falsely accusing others of illegal activity is somehow humorous, I can assure you I treat the concept far more seriously. I suggest you think before you ever post slanderous statements like that again.

Candor rapes farm animals in Virginia. (I just accused you have a felony, pal.)

Gizmo
01-15-2015, 02:48 PM

Slander! Serious accusations. Calling Internet Poh Leese

Donquix
01-15-2015, 02:50 PM

Yeah, take it to West Virginia like a good law-abiding citizen.

Smythe
01-15-2015, 02:55 PM

They wanna can you?! Wha' the hell are they doin' FOR you?! It ain't like ya own the whole stack, is it? Flip it on 'em.

- Smythe

caelric
01-15-2015, 03:02 PM
Let's face it, some crazy people with technical skills have played this game and rage quit.

Yes, yes, I agree.

Tisket
01-15-2015, 03:03 PM
Candor.

Seems more likely to be someone with a feces fetish rather than someone whose main delusional ambition is that he was at one time a GM.

edit: upon reflection, it's unlikely. I doubt you have the skills necessary to dial a rotary phone. My bad.

Gelston
01-15-2015, 03:06 PM
Seems more likely to be someone with a feces fetish rather than someone whose main delusional ambition is that he was at one time a GM.

edit: upon reflection, it's unlikely. I doubt you have the skills necessary to dial a rotary phone. My bad.

He has an echo. He just told it to do it.

Donquix
01-15-2015, 03:07 PM
echo hack the gibson
hack the gibson

shit

Johnny Five
01-15-2015, 03:07 PM
No more lich? Sell your characters now!

Buckwheet
01-15-2015, 03:31 PM
The PC was unreachable for a period of time and I also suffered a DDOS on the gsplayersisdown.info site. So just somebody making the rounds.

DaCapn
01-15-2015, 04:46 PM

Is this at all typical? This is a part of why people pay for hosting in the first place. I'm just trying to imagine what kind of customers they have left if they have some kind of 3 strikes rule for being DDoSed. I guess my viewpoint is that you should be more in a position to issue a "final warning" for your content being inaccessible.

Then again, they way you're dressed, you're practically begging to get DDoSed.

Buckwheet
01-15-2015, 05:04 PM
Is this at all typical? This is a part of why people pay for hosting in the first place. I'm just trying to imagine what kind of customers they have left if they have some kind of 3 strikes rule for being DDoSed. I guess my viewpoint is that you should be more in a position to issue a "final warning" for your content being inaccessible.

Then again, they way you're dressed, you're practically begging to get DDoSed.

Its pretty typical for shared hosting providers who do not specifically offer any sort of protection. Usually providers charge quite a bit of money for protection and a lot of hosts even have a one and done policy depending on the size and duration of the attack.

emo hero james
01-15-2015, 05:06 PM
And apparently play.net/le game itself are out cold now, too.

Tgo01
01-15-2015, 05:06 PM
Is the Simu site and game down too or is it just me?

Didn't this happen last time too, everything got attacked/went down in the same day?

Gizmo
01-15-2015, 05:07 PM
I have off, on my birthday and I would like to escape my reality and play Gemstone. Sheeesh C'mon, why today of all days!

Ginger Haters!

emo hero james
01-15-2015, 05:07 PM
Nopers, same here, Tgo.

Parkbandit
01-15-2015, 05:10 PM

LOL.

caelric
01-15-2015, 05:26 PM
Given that apparently play.net is also having difficulties (based on the Eric Latham SIMUTECH email I just got) it is entirely possible that one of the ragequitters is, in fact, targeting everything GS.

Tgo01
01-15-2015, 05:27 PM
Given that apparently play.net is also having difficulties (based on the Eric Latham SIMUTECH email I just got) it is entirely possible that one of the ragequitters is, in fact, targeting everything GS.

We haven't heard a whole lot about Inspire lately...

Buckwheet
01-15-2015, 05:27 PM
Looking on Norse St. Louis is lit up pretty bad.

Ardwen
01-15-2015, 05:28 PM
Sire seems up but log in issues now sheesh, children must play I guess

Buckwheet
01-15-2015, 05:37 PM

Revenge for nerfed healing?????

Tgo01
01-15-2015, 05:44 PM
Revenge for nerfed healing?????

Shh! You're ruining my attempt at misdirection :O

Mongoose
01-15-2015, 05:48 PM
Anyone able to play right now?

Gizmo
01-15-2015, 05:49 PM
Yes

Tillmen
01-15-2015, 06:27 PM
The PC was unreachable for a period of time and I also suffered a DDOS on the gsplayersisdown.info site. So just somebody making the rounds.

Did your host or ISP threaten you too?

The first time this happened, I thought it might have just been a coincidence that gsplayers went down at about the same time, since it sometimes just goes down. It's strangely comforting that all of Gemstone is being targeted, and not just Lich. Although, it still seems pretty strange. I was under the impression that DDoS attacks were expensive, and usually came with a ransom note. This just seems like someone is burning money. I'm trying to imagine a person who hates Gemstone players so much that the satisfaction they would get from Gemstone players not having access to Lich/gsplayers.com/Gemstone for a few hours is really worth the cost of doing it. I just don't get it.

Gizmo
01-15-2015, 06:31 PM

The first time this happened, I thought it might have just been a coincidence that gsplayers went down at about the same time, since it sometimes just goes down. It's strangely comforting that all of Gemstone is being targeted, and not just Lich. Although, it still seems pretty strange. I was under the impression that DDoS attacks were expensive, and usually came with a ransom note. This just seems like someone is burning money. I'm trying to imagine a person who hates Gemstone players so much that the satisfaction they would get from Gemstone players not having access to Lich/gsplayers.com/Gemstone for a few hours is really worth the cost of doing it. I just don't get it.

DDoS Attacks cost like, nothing at all I think?

Buckwheet
01-15-2015, 06:31 PM

I did not get threatened by them but I also use Cloudflare to protect my sites at the business level and that filtered out most of the attack shortly after it started. I only knew about it because of the bandwidth graphs I have on the server and a monitoring service I use was unable to connect for ~5 minutes.

Tgo01
01-15-2015, 06:37 PM
DDoS Attacks cost like, nothing at all I think?

Yeah I thought DDoS attacks can be accomplished from just running a program anyone can download from the internet.

Tillmen
01-15-2015, 06:45 PM
Cloudflare is taking over the world... My host suggested I switch to Cloudflare if I plan on being attacked again. I looked at the Cloudflare website briefly and it seemed like they only did websites, which is probably the least important function of the Lich server (i.e. I still haven't turned it back on and no one cares.)

caelric
01-15-2015, 06:45 PM
DoS can be done for free. DDoS needs more. The extra D is 'distributed' Youneed multiple computers pinging most websites nowadays to have an effect; some guy sitting in his basement using only his parents internet connection can do a DoS attack, but it really won't amount to much. Getting others involved, though, and you can take down access to a particular website.

The question is how to get the others involved. Well, there are rent a botnets, which will rent out 1000's (or more) of infected computers to perform a DDoS, but that costs money. or, you can make your own botnet by infecting other computers. or, you can message your Anonymous buddies, or /chan buddies, or etc... and try and convince them of the righteousness of the cause.

Tillmen
01-15-2015, 06:46 PM
Yeah I thought DDoS attacks can be accomplished from just running a program anyone can download from the internet.

Generally you hire someone to do the DDoS attack. If you're actually going through the trouble and risk of infecting hundreds of computers yourself, then yeah.. I suppose it's free.

Tgo01
01-15-2015, 06:53 PM
Cloudflare is taking over the world... My host suggested I switch to Cloudflare if I plan on being attacked again. I looked at the Cloudflare website briefly and it seemed like they only did websites, which is probably the least important function of the Lich server (i.e. I still haven't turned it back on and no one cares.)

You're so inconsiderate to not tell your provider ahead of time of when you're going to get attacked next.

Generally you hire someone to do the DDoS attack. If you're actually going through the trouble and risk of infecting hundreds of computers yourself, then yeah.. I suppose it's free.

All I know of DDoS attacks are through Anonymous' shenanigans. I just recall a story of 13 or so people claiming all they did was download a program to help Anonymous take down a website and they had no clue as to what they were doing. I mean yeah, they knew they were helping take down a website but they weren't like the ones coordinating it or anything.

I just figured for the big name websites it took hundreds of people but for smaller websites, say like, Simutronics' website, it could be done with much less.

Learn something new everyday.

Buckwheet
01-15-2015, 07:05 PM
I thought last time someone from here pissed on someone cheerios from that top mud site?

Buckwheet
01-15-2015, 07:14 PM

I guess it depends on how you were attacked. But the business and higher level packages protect against quite a few attack processes.

My suggestion? Look for a DDOS protected host. Something like this, and no I am not affiliated with them.

https://my.loomhosts.com/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0

Just make sure you contact the sales group of anyone you are thinking about going with and discuss terms of DDoS if you think its going to be an issue before you sign up so you know what they will do if you get attacked. Null route, let it happen if it is at or under a certain size, kick you, etc.

poloneus
01-15-2015, 07:24 PM

Maybe he called his Muslim buddies and told them we're all infidels. Think the name "Inspire" was a coincidence?

Wrathbringer
01-15-2015, 07:42 PM
Yeah I thought DDoS attacks can be accomplished from just running a program I wrote that anyone can download from the internet.

--
-

subzero
01-15-2015, 08:22 PM

You sure it's illegal to rape farm animals in Virginia?

Gelston
01-15-2015, 11:00 PM
You sure it's illegal to rape farm animals in Virginia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoophilia_and_the_law_in_the_United_States

waywardgs
01-15-2015, 11:08 PM
Looking on Norse St. Louis is lit up pretty bad.

Noticed that too, but st louis has been lit up for like a month now.

waywardgs
01-15-2015, 11:08 PM
So was the PC down for a while as well?

Gelston
01-15-2015, 11:10 PM

I tried to log on at like noon today, it was down. It was back up about 30 minutes later. May have caught the tail end?

Allereli
01-16-2015, 12:09 AM

It went down right after I read Brem's Bible alteration thread. I thought that caused it.

Gelston
01-16-2015, 12:13 AM
It went down right after I read Brem's Bible alteration thread. I thought that caused it.
Religion often does cause the world to stand still.

Tillmen
01-16-2015, 03:17 AM
To whom it may concern:

I found a new VPS host and started transferring stuff. So far the website and FTP are up on the new server. The website works for shops.lichproject.org and www.lichproject.org, but not for lichproject.org because it still points at the old server. If I turn on the web server there I'll probably lose the account before the transfer is complete. I can't change lichproject.org yet because I foolishly made lnet and the repository connect to lichproject.org instead of their own subdomains. FTP is only used to update the playershops site and, like lnet and the repository, the update-playershops script connects to lichproject.org which is not where playershops is. So, if you're going to update playershops, download a new version of the script before you do.

Changeling
01-17-2015, 03:29 AM
Guess they didn't give you any info as to the nature of the DoS? For example one DoS involves many half-open tcp connections. Another (common) one involves trying to flood interfaces with so much traffic. Depending on the setup of the VPS the former could cause them to want to drop you. (It's also not terribly difficult to perform that kind of DoS cheaply).
If it winds up being a problem long term even after these changes speak up and there are some alternatives. I run most of my sites off of amazon web services and while you pay for what you use they don't give you a hard time about things like DoS.

Tillmen
01-17-2015, 04:37 AM
They just said how much bandwidth it was taking up, which was 195 Mbit/sec. I thought that was a pretty good improvement over the 2749 Mbit/sec attack in November, considering I can't really launch a DDoS against myself to test out my firewall rules and only half of my plan was set up.

The cloud will destroy us all.

Tillmen
01-22-2015, 03:18 PM
I guess I should do a status update. Everything is up and running on the new server. The only issue I'm aware of is that some people with a very old lnet script are still trying to connect to the old server, because the script used an IP address instead of a domain name. I put a message saying what do to do fix this on the lnet login message on the old server, and then I added ASCII art boobs that took up most of the screen because apparently no one reads the lnet login message. The boobs helped a lot, but there are still some people who are somehow able to ignore giant ASCII art boobs showing up on their screen every 5 minutes. I don't know what else to do. If boobs fail, all hope is lost.

I'm going to cancel my account with the old server now, since it doesn't seem to be helping anymore and the PC is back for people to get help.

So, if LNet appears to be down and you found this post, you probably need to:
;repository download lnet
;k lnet
;lnet

If LNet appears to be down, but you were able to connect at any time after the date of this post, then it probably really is down.

If the repository script can't connect to the server, you can get a new one from https://lichproject.org/download/repository.lic and put it in your scripts directory. This shouldn't be an issue, because if you can't connect to the repository after the server change, then you also couldn't connect to it before the server change, but apparently this is the case for some people.

Tgo01
01-22-2015, 03:29 PM
How can anyone ignore boobs? : O

Changeling
01-22-2015, 03:34 PM
If only those emergency broadcast system tests took a lesson from Tillmen they'd be way more effective.

Glitch
01-23-2015, 04:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRGljemfwUE

Tgo01
01-23-2015, 04:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRGljemfwUE

"Well you can't go back. You can't arrange them by penis."

Best quote ever.

Fallen
01-23-2015, 06:41 PM
"Well you can't go back. You can't arrange them by penis."

Best quote ever.