PDA

View Full Version : Is this sick or is it just me?

AkMan
10-30-2004, 05:18 PM
Ok I'll make this short. Basically I have a friend who, after many years of being alone, finally has fallen in love he thinks. Apparently he had a thing going with this girl since he was around 12 (he's 35 now), but she moved away and got married. Well apparently after 15 years her marriage isn't working and she is getting back together with my friend. They seem to think her first child (who is 13 now) belongs to him. So anyways he is moving down to live with her.

The problem? His mom has been married to her dad for like 20+ years now. Is it just me, or is this kind of sick? I know they aren't related by blood per say, but imo there are some places you just don't go.

Edited to fix typos

[Edited on 10-30-2004 by AkMan]

DeV
10-30-2004, 05:29 PM
This is a tough call. They have been fooling around since they were 12 so there is a history involved. I wounldn't call it sick simply because they are related by blood but they are related by family. You just shouldn't go there when it comes to family.

CrystalTears
10-30-2004, 05:32 PM
Only in Alaska! Cling to anyone warm, related or not! <runs really far away>

Back
10-30-2004, 05:34 PM
The family that plays together, stays together?

Keller
10-30-2004, 05:38 PM
that situation reminds me of the book Pillars of the Earth.

Betheny
10-30-2004, 05:40 PM
Love is love.

It's not illegal, it doesn't strike me as wrong, and if it makes them happy, the more power to them.

On second thought, there are children involved, so... maybe it is a little weird.

Keller
10-30-2004, 05:42 PM
the whole grandparents thing will be weird for the grandkids..

I guess they wont ever have to deal with step-grandparents though, as long as the first kid is his like they think.

Jazuela
10-30-2004, 05:57 PM
Many, many years ago when I was twenty three, I got married to a widow; pretty as could be.

This widow had a grown up daughter with flowing hair of red, my father fell in love with her and soon the two were wed.

This made my dad my son-in-law and changed my very life. Now my daughter was my mother, for she was my father's wife.

To complicate the matters worse although it brought me joy, I soon became the father of a bouncing baby boy.

My little baby then became a brother-in-law to dad, and so became my uncle, though it made me very sad.

For if he was my uncle, then that also made him brother to the widow's grown up daughter, who of course was my step-mother.

Father's wife then had a son who kept them on the run, and he became my grandson for he was my daughter's son.

My wife is now my mother's mother and it makes me blue. Because although she is my wife, she's now my grandma too.

If my wife is my grandmother, then I am her grandchild. And every time I think of it, it simply drives me wild.

For now I have become the strangest case you ever saw, as the husband of my grandmother, I am my own grandfather.

-----

The above may have originated from a humorous essay by Mark Twain, possibly his grandfather Samuel Clemens, possibly Niclas Wirth, possibly several other people. I haven't found any proof of who actually wrote it though.

Toxicvixen
10-30-2004, 06:22 PM
Isn't that a song? I swear I have heard that as a song before. :?:

GSLeloo
10-30-2004, 06:23 PM
Yes it is a song

Keller
10-30-2004, 06:25 PM
lol, that was awesome.

Latrinsorm
10-30-2004, 06:40 PM
Depends on how much the + is in 20+. If it's more than 3, than it's a little odd, but not really "sick". If it's less, than I wouldn't worry about it. If I could think of any, I would make an awful lot of jokes at that guy's expense (if we were pals), but I wouldn't make them in a mean way.

Kite
10-30-2004, 07:26 PM
Just u... :moon2:

Tsa`ah
10-30-2004, 10:39 PM
We have a pair of couple like this in my home town.

One of my classmates had been dating this girl from another town for a few years. A few homecomings, proms, and valentines dances later, His mom and her dad started dating and then got married a year after.

He moved in with his dad out of disgust, but he grew out of that. They were married 4 years later.

I would say it was more awkward for all involved than disgusting. I don't think there's anything disgusting about it, unless we're talking about two kids that grew up together as step brother and sister, and then got married ... that's more disturbing.

Shalla
10-30-2004, 10:46 PM
I once asked my ex that question, when we were together. If we found out we were related, will we break up?, and the answer was no. We'll just move to the south.

I doubt and I sure am glad I haven't gone through that predicament.