PDA

View Full Version : Cop-Watching: Black Panthers to Texas Open Carry Activists

Back
01-05-2015, 12:05 PM
Texas Gun Slingers Police the Police—With a Black Panthers Tactic

In Arlington, Texas, armed open-carry activists are challenging cops as they do their jobs, in escalating confrontations that go beyond the Black Panthers’ ‘cop-watching’ strategy.

On any given night in Arlington, Texas, a group of open-carry activists turned self-appointed cop-watchers can be found walking by the side of the road, in safety-yellow reflector vests with cameras pointed at police.

They carry “FILM THE POLICE” signs, and sometimes, in a habit that’s become of increasing concern to the officers being watched, they’re carrying guns of their own.

These armed activists’ mission—ostensibly to hold the police accountable by recording every interaction—has found new meaning in light of recent deaths of unarmed citizens like Mike Brown and Eric Garner. Indeed, members of the Texas group have adopted the “Hands Up, Don’t Shoot” cry popularized during protests of the men’s deaths.

The group is led in part by Kory Watkins, an Olive Garden bartender trainer and a bandwagon activist who also presides over Open Carry Tarrant County (OCTC). (He’s also the host of Open Carry Cop Watch, an Internet radio show that’s launching this week.) Chasing leads from police scanners, members of OCTC and a local faction known as Cop Block—another loosely organized group of anti-law enforcement libertarian-leaners—have been gathering in the approach to DUI checkpoints and speed traps to warn motorists of the police presence, responding in real time with cops to 911 calls, making impromptu stops to film strangers’ traffic violations, all while trolling the police they observe. (During the heckling, bacon references abound, and some cop-watchers even wear police hats with pig ears attached as they follow officers.) According to Watkins, who often carries his AK-47 while cop-watching, the group makes as many as 20 stops a session, depending on the night.

Cop-watching—the practice of observing and documenting police interactions to try to reduce brutality and civil-rights violations—was started by the Black Panther Party in Oakland in the 1960s. Panthers carrying shotguns or wearing pistols on their hips would hit the streets with law books and watch the police to demand accountability. The open carrying of guns was perfectly legal then, though laws were soon enacted to restrict the practice, due in large part to the Panthers’ enthusiastic exercising of their rights.

Today, cop-watching is back, mostly in response to killings of unarmed citizens by police and controversial policies like New York City’s stop-and-frisk. Many cop-watch organizations like to tout the Black Panthers’ origin story, but due to laws or common sense, no longer arm themselves. “Today, our cameras are our weapons,” New York City’s People’s Justice says on its site.

Not so much in Texas.

This is what happens when everyone has guns.

Atlanteax
01-05-2015, 12:18 PM

No, this is what happens when the stupid and ignorant has guns.

Wrathbringer
01-05-2015, 12:56 PM

What exactly are you objecting to? I like it.

waywardgs
01-05-2015, 01:00 PM
What exactly are you objecting to? I like it.

Hey, if 2nd amendment rights activists can do it, why shouldn't these guys? I like it too.

AnticorRifling
01-05-2015, 01:13 PM

You sold yours right?

Parkbandit
01-05-2015, 01:20 PM
You sold yours right?

He sold it right after he sold his restaurant businesses.

Methais
01-05-2015, 01:58 PM

Doesn't look like these people are running into the streets and mowing down cops, so what's the problem?

Wrathbringer
01-05-2015, 02:35 PM
Doesn't look like these people are running into the streets and mowing down cops, so what's the problem?

THEY HAVE GUNS!!!1!1231!990

Androidpk
01-05-2015, 02:39 PM
You sold yours right?

Back owns a gun??

Buckwheet
01-05-2015, 02:54 PM
Other than possibly blocking traffic when it says they go into the approach of a checkpoint, not getting permission to film the random stranger, and verbally harassing a police officer, I don't see that they are doing anything wrong.

I mean if I was being routinely traffic stopped and they encroached my vehicle shouting at the cop, I don't think I would appreciate that. But if they are wearing these vest and just filming I don't think I would care.

Methais
01-05-2015, 03:53 PM
THEY HAVE GUNS!!!1!1231!990

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view5/3557275/beaker-fire-o.gif

kutter
01-05-2015, 03:55 PM
I wonder do the police even gave a legal right to tell them to stop. Being public sector employees, does that impact their privacy rights while on the job? I would think so, but not positive.

The thing I find interesting about this is, I never worry about the guns I can see.

caelric
01-05-2015, 05:00 PM
Back owns a gun??

Back would run screaming from a gun if he ever saw one, afraid that it might go off and start shooting randomly. After all, people don't kill people, guns kill people, right?

Wrathbringer
01-05-2015, 05:03 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view5/3557275/beaker-fire-o.gif

roflcoptered.

Parkbandit
01-05-2015, 06:40 PM
Back owns a gun??

It's the Internet. Anyone can claim anything.

waywardgs
01-05-2015, 06:55 PM
I wonder do the police even gave a legal right to tell them to stop. Being public sector employees, does that impact their privacy rights while on the job? I would think so, but not positive.

The thing I find interesting about this is, I never worry about the guns I can see.

It's legal to record the police. Multiple court rulings have upheld this. Doesn't stop cops from harassing and arresting people who do it, though.

caelric
01-05-2015, 06:59 PM
It's legal to record the police. Multiple court rulings have upheld this. Doesn't stop cops from harassing and arresting people who do it, though.

I think it's state dependent; I don't think the Supreme Court has ruled on this yet. A number of states have laws that specifically say it is okay to record the police. Some police departments have specifically told their officers that they can be recorded in public and to not take any actions against people recording them, and despite that, there are still officers confiscating tapes, harassing recorders, etc...

Most people would be uncomfortable if someone was recording them during their entire workday, and I understand this, but I do think it serves a greater public good to have people record the police, and I support mandatory bodycams for police officers.

waywardgs
01-05-2015, 07:06 PM
I think it's state dependent; I don't think the Supreme Court has ruled on this yet. A number of states have laws that specifically say it is okay to record the police. Some police departments have specifically told their officers that they can be recorded in public and to not take any actions against people recording them, and despite that, there are still officers confiscating tapes, harassing recorders, etc...

Most people would be uncomfortable if someone was recording them during their entire workday, and I understand this, but I do think it serves a greater public good to have people record the police, and I support mandatory bodycams for police officers.

If it's in a public space, photography is constitutionally protected. The problem is how states and police departments define interfering with the police, which is all over the map and often abused.

caelric
01-05-2015, 07:07 PM
If it's in a public space, photography is constitutionally protected. The problem is how states and police departments define interfering with the police, which is all over the map and often abused.

Fully agree.

Tgo01
01-05-2015, 07:16 PM
Why are we lauding these people for tipping off possibly drunk drivers and speeders of a police presence?

Have we gotten so jaded as a society that we are literally taking the side of drunk drivers just to "stick it" to any police officer?

Wrathbringer
01-05-2015, 07:17 PM
Why are we lauding these people for tipping off possibly drunk drivers and speeders of a police presence?

Have we gotten so jaded as a society that we are literally taking the side of drunk drivers just to "stick it" to any police officer?

You don't flash your headlights at approaching vehicles to alert them to a speedtrap you just passed? That's one of the rules of the road.

Tgo01
01-05-2015, 07:18 PM
You don't flash your headlights at approaching vehicles to alert them to a speedtrap you just passed? That's one of the rules of the road.

No. I'm a good boy.

Also I think there is a world of difference between speeders and drunk drivers.

Androidpk
01-05-2015, 07:21 PM
Nothing illegal about flashing your lights.

Tgo01
01-05-2015, 07:23 PM

No but why would you help possible drunk drivers not get caught?

waywardgs
01-05-2015, 07:24 PM

In some states it's illegal, others have found it to be protected free speech.

Wrathbringer
01-05-2015, 07:26 PM
In some states it's illegal, others have found it to be protected free speech.

I hope it's illegal in my state. More satisfying that way.

Wrathbringer
01-05-2015, 07:30 PM

Why would you help possible afk scripters not get caught?

Tgo01
01-05-2015, 07:31 PM
Why would you help possible afk scripters not get caught?

Because afk scripters are good people.

waywardgs
01-05-2015, 07:39 PM
Because afk scripters are good people.

The suprême court has yet to rule on this.

Androidpk
01-05-2015, 07:40 PM

You must be quite the pussy seeing as you're so scared of drink drivers and terrorists. They're everywhere and out to get you!

Tgo01
01-05-2015, 07:47 PM
You must be quite the pussy seeing as you're so scared of drink drivers and terrorists.

Are you a drunk driver or a terrorist or something? :/

Androidpk
01-05-2015, 07:54 PM

Drunk terrorist.

Warriorbird
01-05-2015, 07:55 PM

It's funny just how low the NYPD arrest rate dropped when they quit making the pointless arrests.

Tgo01
01-05-2015, 07:58 PM
Drunk terrorist.

Sounds legit.

It's funny just how low the NYPD arrest rate dropped when they quit making the pointless arrests.

I think setting up "traps" to catch drunk drivers is a good thing, don't you agree? That's about as far from pointless as one can get.

Sure, hold the evil pigs "accountable" and follow them around with cameras 24/7, but warning possible drunk drivers so they can get away with it? Seems a bit much to me. But hey, pigs are pigs, right? United front against pigs!

Wrathbringer
01-05-2015, 08:01 PM
Sounds legit.

I think setting up "traps" to catch drunk drivers is a good thing, don't you agree? That's about as far from pointless as one can get.

Sure, hold the evil pigs "accountable" and follow them around with cameras 24/7, but warning possible drunk drivers so they can get away with it? Seems a bit much to me. But hey, pigs are pigs, right? United front against pigs!

Honestly, I'd never thought of it that way, in terms of catching drunks. Just as speed traps meant to take money from people going to and from work in a hurry. I just figured if it were me, I'd like to be warned so I warn the other guy. Then again, I have 70+ speeding/traffic violations, so yeah, you bet I want a warning if I can get it. So should I really just assume that all drivers are drunk and not warn anyone? I dunno.

waywardgs
01-05-2015, 08:01 PM

It's because the police were being used to make up for the budget deficit with backdoor taxation via petty ticketing. It's interesting the side affect of the NYPD work stoppage- trying to hit the city in its pocketbook. Shows how effed the whole system actually is.

Tgo01
01-05-2015, 08:02 PM
Then again, I have 70+ speeding/traffic violations

And zero paid tickets, am I right?! ;)

Warriorbird
01-05-2015, 08:02 PM

Speed traps are not drunk driver checkpoints. They have different tactics for that. If somebody flashing their lights makes a drunk driver proceed more carefully is that not a good thing?

Why exactly is following cops with cameras bad to you again?

Then again, I have 70+ speeding/traffic violations.

The shovel broke. Your Libertarian "resistance" tactics don't sound quite so effective as you've made them out to be.

Wrathbringer
01-05-2015, 08:04 PM
Speed traps are not drunk driver checkpoints. They have different tactics for that. If somebody flashing their lights makes a drunk driver proceed more carefully is that not a good thing?

Once again WB OWNS you conservative stiffs. Well done, WB.

waywardgs
01-05-2015, 08:06 PM
It's because the police were being used to make up for the budget deficit with backdoor taxation via petty ticketing. It's interesting the side affect of the NYPD work stoppage- trying to hit the city in its pocketbook. Shows how effed the whole system actually is.

What's even more fucked is that the police have said they've stopped making arrests unless they HAVE to, resulting in a 94% reduction in arrests. Think about that… Why would police arrest someone unless they had to to begin with? Does this mean that 94% of arrests weren't actually necessary? It's bonkers.

Tgo01
01-05-2015, 08:07 PM
Speed traps are not drunk driver checkpoints.

I'm specifically referring to to DUI checkpoints. Warning speeders doesn't exactly make a whole lot of sense either but depending on how fast said speeder is going I wouldn't put them anywhere near the same level as a drunk driver.

If somebody flashing their lights makes a drunk driver proceed more carefully is that not a good thing?

I would rather said drunk driver get caught and go through the repercussions of being caught driving while drunk.

I didn't say filming cops was necessarily a bad thing, it depends on how it's done; following them around and verbally harassing them and wearing pig ears is wrong.

I was specifically referring to them warning drivers of DUI checkpoints. That is all I have commented on so far.

Wrathbringer
01-05-2015, 08:09 PM
I'm specifically referring to to DUI checkpoints. Warning speeders doesn't exactly make a whole lot of sense either but depending on how fast said speeder is going I wouldn't put them anywhere near the same level as a drunk driver.

I would rather said drunk driver get caught and go through the repercussions of being caught driving while drunk.

I didn't say filming cops was necessarily a bad thing, it depends on how it's done; following them around and verbally harassing them and wearing pig ears is wrong.

I was specifically referring to them warning drivers of DUI checkpoints. That is all I have commented on so far.

Oh. Well, I've never done that. Carry on.

Tgo01
01-05-2015, 08:09 PM
What's even more fucked is that the police have said they've stopped making arrests unless they HAVE to, resulting in a 94% reduction in arrests. Think about that… Why would police arrest someone unless they had to to begin with? Does this mean that 94% of arrests weren't actually necessary? It's bonkers.

I'd love to know exactly what kind of arrests they are referring to.

Is it a case of the police thinking the arrests were bullshit to begin with or is it a case of the police just not wanting to do their jobs?

Like if I get actual video footage of the assholes who fuck with my house every year is the responding officer going to do something about it or give me some lame excuse like "Well...anyone could have been driving that car..."

The stories I've read about in researching this type of shit happening to other people.

Wrathbringer
01-05-2015, 08:11 PM
I'd love to know exactly what kind of arrests they are referring to.

Is it a case of the police thinking the arrests were bullshit to begin with or is it a case of the police just not wanting to do their jobs?

Like if I get actual video footage of the assholes who fuck with my house every year is the responding officer going to do something about it or give me some lame excuse like "Well...anyone could have been driving that car..."

The stories I've read about in researching this type of shit happening to other people.

The 94% of arrests probably consisted mostly of people walking about the city brazenly with 17+ oz soft drinks.

waywardgs
01-05-2015, 08:16 PM
The 94% of arrests probably consisted mostly of people walking about the city brazenly with 17+ oz soft drinks.

So they bust the 18 year old kid with an oversized soft drink, shake him down for a couple hundred bucks, all because the politicians aren't honest about how much it costs to actually run the city and are fearful of raising taxes, and government inefficiency is allowed to progress unscrutinized by the public. It's fucking dumb. (not to mention justifying the inflated police budgets.)

Wrathbringer
01-05-2015, 08:20 PM
So they bust the 18 year old kid with an oversized soft drink, shake him down for a couple hundred bucks, all because the politicians aren't honest about how much it costs to actually run the city and are fearful of cutting spending, and government inefficiency is allowed to progress unscrutinized by the public. It's fucking dumb.

I agree.

waywardgs
01-05-2015, 08:21 PM
I agree.

Well right, that too.

Warriorbird
01-05-2015, 08:29 PM
Oh. Well, I've never done that. Carry on.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever had a thought above "oh wow, a long line to wait in." I've flashed almost every speed trap I've known about though.

caelric
01-05-2015, 08:39 PM
Most areas where police body cams have become mandatory, both unfounded complaints against police, and police brutality have gone down. Usually unfounded complaints have dropped significantly more.

waywardgs
01-05-2015, 08:42 PM
Most areas where police body cams have become mandatory, both unfounded complaints against police, and police brutality have gone down. Usually unfounded complaints have dropped significantly more.

Which means either police are behaving better or people know they can't get away with lying as much. I suspect a combination of both, but either way it reduces costly dispute processes and increases efficiency. Win/win.

Gelston
01-05-2015, 10:57 PM
No. I'm a good boy.

Also I think there is a world of difference between speeders and drunk drivers.

In my state, when they have a DUI checkpoint they are required by law to have signs posted far in advance of it and to provide an avenue to turn off before you get to it. Of course, there are also what are called "chasers" who basically exist to pull someone over for not signaling a turn 100 feet prior to turning off.

Tgo01
01-05-2015, 11:02 PM
In my state, when they have a DUI checkpoint they are required by law to have signs posted far in advance of it and to provide an avenue to turn off before you get to it.

Really? That sort of defeats the purpose of checkpoints, doesn't it?

waywardgs
01-05-2015, 11:04 PM
In my state, when they have a DUI checkpoint they are required by law to have signs posted far in advance of it and to provide an avenue to turn off before you get to it. Of course, there are also what are called "chasers" who basically exist to pull someone over for not signaling a turn 100 feet prior to turning off.

This just seems like a redundant waste of time. Let em turn, have someone else pull em over if they do? Stupid.

Gelston
01-05-2015, 11:12 PM
This just seems like a redundant waste of time. Let me turn, have someone else pull em over if they do? Stupid.

You'd think it defeated the purpose, but if you are turning off, there is probably a reason.

They still catch quite a few people... I mean, how many sloshed people are reading signs?

Gelston
01-05-2015, 11:21 PM
Oh, and they also tell you there is going to be DUI checkpoints through the news and on the internet like, a month in advance. People still get busted.

Fallen
01-05-2015, 11:26 PM
I suppose they're worthwhile, then. You're targeting the people who are stupid enough to drive drunk and completely ignore all possible consequences.

waywardgs
01-05-2015, 11:42 PM
I suppose they're worthwhile, then. You're targeting the people who are stupid enough to drive drunk and completely ignore all possible consequences.

That, and I do think it helps reduce overall drunk driving rates if there are large public campaigns. People take notice.

Back
01-06-2015, 07:46 AM
So the connection between Black Panthers and Texas open carry activists is completely lost on you people?

Sure, I'll talk about my experiences with fire arms. But that has nothing to do with what we are seeing in our own country between citizens of all colors and law enforcement.

Wrathbringer
01-06-2015, 07:54 AM
So the connection between Black Panthers and Texas open carry activists is completely lost on you people?

Sure, I'll talk about my experiences with fire arms. But that has nothing to do with what we are seeing in our own country between citizens of all colors and law enforcement.

Please start making sense.

Back
01-06-2015, 07:57 AM
Please start making sense.

Irony never had a better definition.

Wrathbringer
01-06-2015, 08:22 AM
Irony never had a better definition.

Well played, back. Well played.

Warriorbird
01-06-2015, 10:07 AM

http://oi39.tinypic.com/j6h7jm.jpg

Tenlaar
01-06-2015, 10:19 AM

What, exactly, do you believe is happening between citizens of all colors and law enforcement (whom, I should point out, are also citizens of all color)?

Back
01-06-2015, 11:01 AM
What, exactly, do you believe is happening between citizens of all colors and law enforcement (whom, I should point out, are also citizens of all color)?

Oppression breeds revolt. The immigrants to this country knew this. The Black Panthers knew this. Texas open-carry activists know this.

See the thread?

Archigeek
01-06-2015, 11:06 AM
Oppression breeds revolt. The immigrants to this country knew this. The Black Panthers knew this. Texas open-carry activists know this.

See the thread?

I see the connection between the first two, but I think the last group are not being oppressed. They're just nuts who want to walk around and pretend they need a bushmaster to go to Target. No one wants to be the guy without a gun when a firefight breaks out at Target.

waywardgs
01-06-2015, 11:27 AM
I see the connection between the first two, but I think the last group are not being oppressed. They're just nuts who want to walk around and pretend they need a bushmaster to go to Target. No one wants to be the guy without a gun when a firefight breaks out at Target.

This is the problem I have with those types. They go on and on about government oerreach, the police state, and how their rights are being repressed, but when rights actually ARE being repressed, i.e. unlawful search via stop-and-frisk, etc, where are they? Nowhere. Yelling at a cop about why they're allowed to have their bushmaster in Walmart. And being given the benefit of the doubt, no less- but what happens when a black guy picks up an unpackaged BB gun in said Walmart? Cops blow him away, no questions asked. Reeks of hypocrisy and double standards to me.

Back
01-06-2015, 11:47 AM
This is the problem I have with those types. They go on and on about government oerreach, the police state, and how their rights are being repressed, but when rights actually ARE being repressed, i.e. unlawful search via stop-and-frisk, etc, where are they? Nowhere. Yelling at a cop about why they're allowed to have their bushmaster in Walmart. And being given the benefit of the doubt, no less- but what happens when a black guy picks up an unpackaged BB gun in said Walmart? Cops blow him away, no questions asked. Reeks of hypocrisy and double standards to me.

Needle in a haystack. Someone gets it.

Johnny Five
01-06-2015, 11:54 AM
I really bring into question the amount of black people any of you actually know.... I mean, I've been and lived in some pretty shitty places. South Chicago/North Minneapolis and I must say, it was not enjoyable (Half the time being any color BUT black means trouble). And I don't believe they were having rights trampled on. Unless you believe smoking crack/heroin and living in a condemned house is rights being trampled on. You breed the problems you create by acting the way you do, this isn't the fucking 1950's. And anyone that has ever lived anywhere besides white suburbia knows, if you look sketchy as fuck a cop is going to stop you, no matter what color you are.

Back
01-06-2015, 11:56 AM

The whole Bundy ranch thing was about government treading on people's rights. Or was it about law enforcement doing their jobs?

Look at the vast differences of that scenario with Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, and so many more.

Back
01-06-2015, 11:57 AM
I really bring into question the amount of black people any of you actually know.... I mean, I've been and lived in some pretty shitty places. South Chicago/North Minneapolis and I must say, it was not enjoyable (Half the time being any color BUT black means trouble). And I don't believe they were having rights trampled on. Unless you believe smoking crack/heroin and living in a condemned house is rights being trampled on. You breed the problems you create by acting the way you do, this isn't the fucking 1950's. And anyone that has ever lived anywhere besides white suburbia knows, if you look sketchy as fuck a cop is going to stop you, no matter what color you are.

Like white people don't know how to get sketchy or live in ghettos? Please, brother. You are pissing in the wind.

Johnny Five
01-06-2015, 12:00 PM
And anyone that has ever lived anywhere besides white suburbia knows, if you look sketchy as fuck a cop is going to stop you, no matter what color you are.

Do you even read the post before you respond you fucking cum dumpster?

waywardgs
01-06-2015, 12:10 PM

Lol. What does this even mean? If I knew more black people I'd realize how shifty they all are and that they deserve to be stopped and harassed for acting so? Jesus man...

And PS I've coincidentally lived in BOTH those places.

And one other thing- being perceived as "shifty" isn't a crime in America, last I checked.

Johnny Five
01-06-2015, 12:18 PM
Lol. What does this even mean? If I knew more black people I'd realize how shifty they all are and that they deserve to be stopped and harassed for acting so? Jesus man...

And PS I've coincidentally lived in BOTH those places.

Yeah I bet, and you were walking up to all the homies going "WHAT'S UP DAWG!?"

As you hit the click click on your car alarm and eyed the black folk across the street. lul

Back
01-06-2015, 12:20 PM
And anyone that has ever lived anywhere besides white suburbia knows, if you look sketchy as fuck a cop is going to stop you, no matter what color you are.

Do you even read the post before you respond you fucking cum dumpster?

http://wildhunt.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/you-mad-bro-.jpg

Back
01-06-2015, 12:21 PM

As you hit the click click on your car alarm and eyed the black folk across the street. lul

Like white people don't steal cars.

Johnny Five
01-06-2015, 12:21 PM
http://wildhunt.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/you-mad-bro-.jpg

Nope, more than likely just speaking the thoughts of anyone that has ever met you, ever.

Back
01-06-2015, 12:24 PM
Nope, more than likely just speaking the thoughts of anyone that has ever met you, ever.

You sure hurled some profanity at me even though we don't know each other enough for that to be ok. I'll say I don't know you, the person, but your posts are full of "black people are the problem" anecdotes. I'm not mad about it. Rather, I'm attempting to address it calmly, politely, and with at least a smidge of rational.

Johnny Five
01-06-2015, 12:24 PM

Oh good fucking lord, time to move on.

Taernath
01-06-2015, 12:25 PM

White people don't download cars.

waywardgs
01-06-2015, 12:40 PM

It must have really sucked for you to have lived in such abject fear during your time there. You know what the alternative is? Yeah, get to know your neighbors. You might even learn who actually IS a threat, and have been better able to protect yourself. I worked in both of those places as well, and bartender at a largely black bar in south side chicago. I did in fact become friends with many of the people in the neighborhood. Yes, they were black, yes, they dressed in clothing you would probably describe as "thuggish." And you know what? They turned out to just be… you know, people, trying to live their lives like anyone else. So your whole "c'mon man, you know those neighborhoods sketched you out" bs doesn't hold much water with me. I'm not a fearful person. Doesn't mean I don't lock my car door- hell, I do that in every rich neighborhood I've been in as well, it's just smart policy. But trembling in fear as I walk down the street? I'm sorry, life's too short. I'm sorry you live like that.

Back
01-06-2015, 01:00 PM
White people don't download cars.

White people download rap music.

Back
01-06-2015, 01:02 PM
Oh good fucking lord, time to move on.

Seriously. What are you trying to convince me, us, this board, of?

Gelston
01-06-2015, 01:04 PM
It must have really sucked for you to have lived in such abject fear during your time there. You know what the alternative is? Yeah, get to know your neighbors. You might even learn who actually IS a threat, and have been better able to protect yourself. I worked in both of those places as well, and bartender at a largely black bar in south side chicago. I did in fact become friends with many of the people in the neighborhood. Yes, they were black, yes, they dressed in clothing you would probably describe as "thuggish." And you know what? They turned out to just be… you know, people, trying to live their lives like anyone else. So your whole "c'mon man, you know those neighborhoods sketched you out" bs doesn't hold much water with me. I'm not a fearful person. Doesn't mean I don't lock my car door- hell, I do that in every rich neighborhood I've been in as well, it's just smart policy. But trembling in fear as I walk down the street? I'm sorry, life's too short. I'm sorry you live like that.

I just shoot all the non-white people near my car and it never gets stolen.

Methais
01-06-2015, 02:37 PM
I hope it's illegal in my state. More satisfying that way.

http://www.asiansonfilm.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Bling_Title-1.jpg

kutter
01-06-2015, 02:39 PM

Just so I understand, it is your contention, based upon this statement, that the risk of being a victim of a violent crime is no different in the neighborhood you worked as opposed to say, 90210 so long as you get to know your neighbours?

Are you one of those people that lives their lives in the green all the time?

waywardgs
01-06-2015, 02:53 PM
Just so I understand, it is your contention, based upon this statement, that the risk of being a victim of a violent crime is no different in the neighborhood you worked as opposed to say, 90210 so long as you get to know your neighbours?

Are you one of those people that lives their lives in the green all the time?

Did I say that? No. If you want to know what I think, you can reread what I wrote without the "I'm gonna find a GOTCHA!!" attitude.

Tgo01
01-06-2015, 02:54 PM
Did I say that? No. If you want to know what I think, you can reread what I wrote without the "I'm gonna find a GOTCHA!!" attitude.

:/

Wrathbringer
01-06-2015, 03:03 PM

This is pc. No one here is capable of that.

Methais
01-06-2015, 03:37 PM
Needle in a haystack. Someone gets it.

So you're saying normal people shouldn't be allowed to carry guns because cops are stupid?

The whole Bundy ranch thing was about government treading on people's rights. Or was it about law enforcement doing their jobs?

Look at the vast differences of that scenario with Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, and so many more.

1. George Zimmerman wasn't a cop.

2. Michael Brown was a thug.

kutter
01-06-2015, 03:41 PM
So you're saying normal people shouldn't be allowed to carry guns because cops are stupid?

1. George Zimmerman wasn't a cop, and Trayvon Martin was a thug.

2. Michael Brown was a thug.

Fixed that for you.

kutter
01-06-2015, 03:42 PM

If you did not, then please by all means, clarify your statement, because I have re-read what you wrote, and that is the only thing I can infer from your statement.

Parkbandit
01-06-2015, 03:45 PM
Seriously. What are you trying to convince me, us, this board, of?

Probably that having an intelligent conversation with you is a complete waste of time and effort.

caelric
01-06-2015, 03:57 PM
Probably that having an intelligent conversation with you is a complete waste of time and effort.

Most folks on this board are already convinced of that with regards to Back.

Atlanteax
01-06-2015, 04:27 PM
Back probably has never done a dissertation.

Latrinsorm
01-06-2015, 04:49 PM
Sounds legit.

Sure, hold the evil pigs "accountable" and follow them around with cameras 24/7, but warning possible drunk drivers so they can get away with it? Seems a bit much to me. But hey, pigs are pigs, right? United front against pigs!The only reasonable solution is to follow everyone around with cameras 24/7, but that sounds kind of expensive. What if we just had cameras everywhere, that way they could be stationary? You also wouldn't have to rely on wireless transmission or manual uploading.

A+ plan, #1.

Latrinsorm
01-06-2015, 04:57 PM
If you did not, then please by all means, clarify your statement, because I have re-read what you wrote, and that is the only thing I can infer from your statement.waywardgs "Stop and frisk was wrong."
Johnny Five "You don't even know any black people. They look sketchy, so stop and frisk was right."
waywardgs "Both of those are incorrect."
Johnny Five "You're scared of black people!!!"
waywardgs "That is also incorrect."
you "You're saying South Chicago has the exact violent crime rate of 90210??"

Does not follow and has nothing to do with the discussion. waywardgs can be all of (1) not a racist, (2) civil rights advocate, and (3) aware of different violent crime rates in different municipalities.

Thondalar
01-06-2015, 05:01 PM

In this case, both.

You should probably look at the differences in these scenarios. They aren't even remotely related in any fashion.

Back
01-06-2015, 05:28 PM
Back probably has never done a dissertation.

If you have I would ask for my outrageous college tuition money back because obviously it did not help in your case.

Back
01-06-2015, 05:49 PM
The only reasonable solution is to follow everyone around with cameras 24/7, but that sounds kind of expensive. What if we just had cameras everywhere, that way they could be stationary? You also wouldn't have to rely on wireless transmission or manual uploading.

A+ plan, #1.

We need to take it further than that. Thought antennas.

Methais
01-06-2015, 06:06 PM
We need to take it further than that. Thought antennas.

We have that, it's called social media.

Back
01-06-2015, 06:20 PM

You know something, dude. You are pretty fucking correct with that. It's only a matter of time before the Google overlords develop an algorithm that will predict potential crimes based on social media outputs.

You know we are all already wirelessly in with our wireless devices.

kutter
01-06-2015, 06:30 PM
waywardgs "Stop and frisk was wrong."
Johnny Five "You don't even know any black people. They look sketchy, so stop and frisk was right."
waywardgs "Both of those are incorrect."
Johnny Five "You're scared of black people!!!"
waywardgs "That is also incorrect."
you "You're saying South Chicago has the exact violent crime rate of 90210??"

Does not follow and has nothing to do with the discussion. waywardgs can be all of (1) not a racist, (2) civil rights advocate, and (3) aware of different violent crime rates in different municipalities.

Latrin, while I never seem to agree with your post, at least they normally make sense to me, but this one, not so much, I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Latrinsorm
01-06-2015, 08:11 PM
I was reviewing the context of the conversation leading up to the post you replied to.

Parkbandit
01-06-2015, 08:54 PM
Latrin, while I never seem to agree with your post, at least they normally make sense to me, but this one, not so much, I have no idea what you are trying to say.

http://jenden.us/storage/JD/img/must_not_feed_the_troll.jpg

Atlanteax
01-07-2015, 10:24 AM
If you have I would ask for my outrageous college tuition money back because obviously it did not help in your case.

Tell us more about the wonders that Chavistas has done for Venezuela.

Oh wait, you have yet to submit a coherent post.

Atlanteax
01-07-2015, 10:26 AM

Unsurprising, the development of social media has lead to an increase in other forms of crime.

Posting that you are on vacation in another country? Your house just got robbed.

Posted a lot of personal information? The theft of your identity just got easier.

Methais
01-07-2015, 11:04 AM
Unsurprising, the development of social media has lead to an increase in other forms of crime.

Posting that you are on vacation in another country? Your house just got robbed.

Posted a lot of personal information? The theft of your identity just got easier.

I have little doubt that there's a FB/Twitter post somewhere that's something like:

"JUST GOT MY NEW CREDIT CARD!!!"

*INSERT PICTURE OF CREDIT CARD*

"JUST GOT A NEW SOCIAL SECURITY CARD!!!!"

*INSERT PIC OF SS CARD*

EDIT: Yup

http://2.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/24/62/e72f757197cf72328b48712bf088e873.jpg

http://www.collegehumor.com/post/6553259/girl-posts-picture-of-credit-card-on-facebook

Yeah you usually need the code on the back these days, but not always.

Atlanteax
01-07-2015, 11:13 AM
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr01/2013/3/21/11/anigif_enhanced-buzz-24700-1363879993-16.gif

Clearly a shady cop attempting to trick a driver into revealing that he is drunk...

Gelston
01-07-2015, 11:38 AM
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr01/2013/3/21/11/anigif_enhanced-buzz-24700-1363879993-16.gif

Clearly a shady cop attempting to trick a driver into revealing that he is drunk...

"Officer, I can't stand like that even when I'm sober!... Damn it."