PDA

View Full Version : First World Problem #629: Getting App Access on a CRT TV

Wrathbringer
12-24-2014, 09:54 AM
In before "Buy a new tv with all that tax money you don't pay."

Now that that's out of the way, here's our situation: We've got an old CRT tv in the bedroom that we access apps wirelessly on via a Wii. The wife wants to take the wii to another floor, leaving us with no way to access apps. She just wants to buy another wii for that purpose. I'd rather not, if at all possible. Options like Fire TV hook up via hdmi, which the crt doesn't have and I'd also rather not buy a blu ray player for our non-hd crt tv just for app access. Thoughts? Thanks.

kutter
12-24-2014, 09:59 AM
The cheapest option would maybe be a roku if you can find an older one, if that will even work, other wise a game console is your only choice, and if that is the case I would compare the price of that versus a smart tv. The TV might be a little more but gives you a lot more options.

Just my .02.

Wrathbringer
12-24-2014, 10:05 AM
The cheapest option would maybe be a roku if you can find an older one, if that will even work, other wise a game console is your only choice, and if that is the case I would compare the price of that versus a smart tv. The TV might be a little more but gives you a lot more options.

Just my .02.

Thank you. I was afraid of this. ;)

Sorcasaurus
12-24-2014, 10:29 AM
Does your TV have the RCA connections? I'm not incredibly familiar with converting hdmi (digital) to RCA (analog). I've only done it once with a converter, and may have just been lucky with my computers output ability and the model TV.

Would something similar to this work with a Fire?: EDIT: wrong link. I was trying to link the signal converter:http://www.amazon.com/Baitaihem-Composite-Video-Signal-Converter/dp/B00HLGRX1K/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419435180&sr=1-1&keywords=hdmi+converter+to+composite

I'm not sure how much the Fire let's you adjust screen size, but it's something to look into.

EDIT2: this one has a scaler: http://www.amazon.com/Tmvel-PETHCSP-Composite-S-video-Converter/dp/B00GGFY6LW/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419435180&sr=1-13&keywords=hdmi+converter+to+composite

Androidpk
12-24-2014, 11:24 AM
Wife? CRT TV?

Ker_Thwap
12-24-2014, 11:36 AM
Barter the wife for a new TV. Like a modern day Gift of the Magi.

Wrathbringer
12-24-2014, 02:59 PM
Does your TV have the RCA connections? I'm not incredibly familiar with converting hdmi (digital) to RCA (analog). I've only done it once with a converter, and may have just been lucky with my computers output ability and the model TV.

Would something similar to this work with a Fire?: EDIT: wrong link. I was trying to link the signal converter:http://www.amazon.com/Baitaihem-Composite-Video-Signal-Converter/dp/B00HLGRX1K/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419435180&sr=1-1&keywords=hdmi+converter+to+composite

I'm not sure how much the Fire let's you adjust screen size, but it's something to look into.

EDIT2: this one has a scaler: http://www.amazon.com/Tmvel-PETHCSP-Composite-S-video-Converter/dp/B00GGFY6LW/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419435180&sr=1-13&keywords=hdmi+converter+to+composite

This is perfect. Thx.

Androidpk
12-24-2014, 03:01 PM
This is perfect. Thx.

Why don't you use your fat paycheck from the NSA and get a 4K OLED?

Wrathbringer
12-24-2014, 03:03 PM
Barter the wife for a new TV. Like a modern day Gift of the Magi.

I dunno. Can the tv cook and clean? I already know it can sit the kids.

Wrathbringer
12-24-2014, 03:07 PM
Why don't you use your fat paycheck from the NSA and get a 4K OLED?

Because bullion. There are some affordable 4k tv's, tho. I looked today. I expect prices to get a little better as the super bowl approaches. Some are already cheaper than the plain plasma we bought just three years ago.

waywardgs
12-24-2014, 04:23 PM
In before "Buy a new tv with all that tax money you don't pay."

Now that that's out of the way, here's our situation: We've got an old CRT tv in the bedroom that we access apps wirelessly on via a Wii. The wife wants to take the wii to another floor, leaving us with no way to access apps. She just wants to buy another wii for that purpose. I'd rather not, if at all possible. Options like Fire TV hook up via hdmi, which the crt doesn't have and I'd also rather not buy a blu ray player for our non-hd crt tv just for app access. Thoughts? Thanks.

Why is your wife hiding in the basement with a wii?

Wrathbringer
12-24-2014, 06:43 PM
Why is your wife hiding in the basement with a wii?

Hey, you guys get to turn me off anytime. She has to live with me. I try not to ask too many questions.

Edit WAIT HOW DID YOU KNOW IT WAS THE BASEMENT?

Edit2 reported

Edit3 shart rep left