PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here like vector calculus?

LordWarclaidhm
10-09-2004, 10:13 PM
I do. I like math in general. Anyone else on these boards share this great passion?

Vector calculus > Diff. Calculus Integral. Calc.

Vector calculus is so much more fun than boring Diff and Integral calc.

BigBadBonar
10-09-2004, 10:17 PM
How is vector calc different then Multi?

Chadj
10-09-2004, 10:18 PM
Fuck it all.

I'm in advanced classes for it, but I HATE it! ARGH! FUCK ALL EQUATIONS.

Thank you for your time.

BigBadBonar
10-09-2004, 10:20 PM
Oh wait............. it isn't.

And in that much, vector calculus is essentially an extension of "Diff. Calculus Integral. Calc." So how does that make it better?

Gah, i can't believe I am even replying to this post.

Chadj
10-09-2004, 10:21 PM
I'm only replying to raise my post count.

BigBadBonar
10-09-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Chadj

Amazing idea.

Bobmuhthol
10-09-2004, 10:23 PM
I'll believe it if you can solve this.

Find the value of "a" so that the circles with equations (x-a)^2 + y^2 = 2 and (x+a)^2 + y^2 = 2 intersect at points where their tangents are perpendicular.

Telfaahga
10-10-2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol

Find the value of "a" so that the circles with equations (x-a)^2 + y^2 = 2 and (x+a)^2 + y^2 = 2 intersect at points where their tangents are perpendicular.

LordWarclaidhm
10-10-2004, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol

ROFL, figures Bob knows calculus too.

That's amazing.

LordWarclaidhm
10-10-2004, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBonar
How is vector calc different then Multi?

It's the same, in the later latter of vectors.
Specifically, partial dervitives are multi's.

The partial derivitive sign can look like an [i]f[/b] with a subscript of x, or the partial deverivtive sign, which almost looks like a lower case a(Like so, a.) It deals with multi varibles, like 'f(x, y ...nsubz)

Where you vary some of the varibles, and let the others remain fixed. Then you compare the differences between the varied and fixed(the varibles you didn't defferientiate). That's the derivative of of multi-varibles using the partial derivitive symbol.

Hulkein
10-10-2004, 03:47 AM
dweeb

longshot
10-10-2004, 04:18 AM
You did the same shit months ago when you talked about "trig"...

You are so, so sad.

BTW, how's therapy going?

BigBadBonar
10-10-2004, 04:35 AM
shoot, I don't think anyone here needs a lesson in multivariable calculus or any of that bs. Why do you ever bother wasting your time? I'm glad you like math, but don't try to impress everyone by mentioning a worthless thread. IF you were really interested, you'd mention something interesting like Fourier Series.

LordWarclaidhm
10-10-2004, 05:36 AM
shoot, I don't think anyone here needs a lesson in multivariable calculus or any of that bs. Why do you ever bother wasting your time? I'm glad you like math, but don't try to impress everyone by mentioning a worthless thread. IF you were really interested, you'd mention something interesting like Fourier Series.

Fuck! I don't want this thread to turn into a damn flame thread. I'm NOT trying to impress anyone. There's no other way I could explain partial dervivatives.

I'm just ASKING if ANYONE ELSE here likes calculus too as a passion? I'd an interesting subject and if anyone else likes it, I'd like to IM them and ask them a few questions.

LordWarclaidhm
10-10-2004, 05:37 AM

It just shows that I can't post anything on this forum, even OFF TOPIC, without being flamed at etc. This ticks me off. I thought for awhile not to even post this thread, because I knew this would happen.

Guess I was right. Oh well.

Carcinogen Crunchies
10-10-2004, 05:39 AM
Manual mathematic calculations are for people who can't operate calculators.

Furthermore, threads on a RPG message board concerning mathematics are pointless, unless they pertain to game mechanics. It is quite apparent that you are trying to show people that you are smart. Most people do not dispute that; it is social skills you are lacking.

Add my name to the list of people who think you should get some counseling, possibly some medication... and find another hobby for the time being.

Respectfully yours,
CC

Drew2
10-10-2004, 05:41 AM
Derivitives.

For loving it so much, you suck at spelling it.

Axhinde
10-10-2004, 06:04 AM
You like calculus, big fucking deal. I like learning about subwoofers, yet you don't see me starting a useless topic "bragging" about all I think I know(I really don't know much about subwoofers). You're mathematically inclined, yay. Get a girlfriend, or a dog, something.

Nieninque
10-10-2004, 06:20 AM

No change there then.
At least you didnt do your lame "will u tuck mi pp" 'joke'

imported_Kranar
10-10-2004, 06:24 AM
<< Vector calculus is so much more fun than boring Diff and Integral calc. >>

I don't quite understand how vector calculus is fun, but differential and integral calculus is boring.

You doing the same thing but with vectors instead of scalars.

Artha
10-10-2004, 09:23 AM

You're making fun of him agian.

Drew2
10-10-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Artha

You're making fun of him agian.

You're observant.

Artha
10-10-2004, 09:47 AM
I was just trying to work agian into a sentence.

Drew2
10-10-2004, 11:14 AM
I totally didn't notice it.

U win teh funny.

BigBadBonar
10-10-2004, 11:41 AM
Yeah my main point was that there's very little difference between Multi and the other calc's. Most would argue, that as a class in general Multi is easier then Calc I + II, simply because there isn't the time to go as deeply into the subject. However, this is merely my opinion. :cry:

LordWarclaidhm
10-10-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Carcinogen Crunchies
Manual mathematic calculations are for people who can't operate calculators.

Furthermore, threads on a RPG message board concerning mathematics are pointless, unless they pertain to game mechanics. It is quite apparent that you are trying to show people that you are smart. Most people do not dispute that; it is social skills you are lacking.

Add my name to the list of people who think you should get some counseling, possibly some medication... and find another hobby for the time being.

Respectfully yours,
CC

This is the Off-Topic part! (Read the subtitle)

Also, I have a consoler. And I take medication for depression/suicide.

It doesn't seem to help.

I figure your right in a few ways; and wrong in a few ways:

For one,

1) I do really like math. So it's not all for "trying to prove something".
2) However, I believe part of it might be that of what you explained above.
3) I dont' go though a calc book and try and solve every equation. I try to read each chapter and get the fundemental idea of it.
4) Another thing is: I am always trying to strive to what "the highest math is". Of course, it is in the branch of calculus. However, what type of calculus? It seems they go on indefinitely! I thought it was vectors for awhile, however, someone mentinoed Fourier Series on here, and that is MUCH, more complex than vectors. Although it does involve vectors. So what is the end?

I did not try to make this thread to brag. I tried to make this thread to SEE IF ANYONE ELSE likes calculus, so I could IM them.

Krellin, in GS, for example. Has a masters degree in quantum physics. I talk to him all the time about calculus.

I hope to be a professor at the university of arizona in theortical physics, space/time, or MAYBE something in the quantum branch. Although I'd rather work with larger bodies, like the universe. Than quantum level.

Chadj
10-10-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Nieninque

No change there then.
At least you didnt do your lame "will u tuck mi pp" 'joke'

Hey, Nieninque...

Wil u tuch mi pp?

Nieninque
10-10-2004, 02:29 PM
Not without Nuclear, Biological and chemical warfare protection I wont.

Eesh

Latrinsorm
10-10-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by LordWarclaidhm
I hope to be a professor at the university of arizona I think you just made Jesae cry.

Math can't solve everything, War. :( It can't even solve most things. Now physics, physics is the moneymaker.

edit: Not to say physics can solve everything.

[Edited on 10-10-2004 by Latrinsorm]

LordWarclaidhm
10-10-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm

I hope to be a professor at the university of arizona I think you just made Jesae cry.

Math can't solve everything, War. :( It can't even solve most things. Now physics, physics is the moneymaker.

edit: Not to say physics can solve everything.

[Edited on 10-10-2004 by Latrinsorm]

Are you trying to discourge my dreams to be a phsycist?

I swear to god, I'll prove you wrong.

Artha
10-10-2004, 06:29 PM
As long as it isn't a professor of English, you might have a shot.

Latrinsorm
10-10-2004, 08:27 PM
Are you trying to discourge my dreams to be a phsycist?Although I wasn't aware you had such dreams (and I wasn't intending to in my original post), yes. C'mon man, you can dream of something better than a physicist. Plan to be a physicist as a fall-back, but dream to be the President, or a prophet, or something big.

longshot
10-10-2004, 08:32 PM

Are you trying to discourge my dreams to be a phsycist?

I swear to god, I'll prove you wrong.

I swear to god I'll change...

I swear to god I'll never post here again...

I swear to god I'll never play Gemstone again...

Warclitoris, I believe you.

peam
10-10-2004, 08:42 PM
No one [who is ever going to get laid] likes calculus.

LordWarclaidhm
10-11-2004, 05:32 PM
In response to Latrin, its possible to become someone "big" with invetions/ideas of new ideas in the laws of theortical physics.

It's still possible I might become a pilot, or police officer.

Meos
10-11-2004, 05:34 PM
:lol2:

Bobmuhthol
10-11-2004, 05:57 PM
Click Here For My Official Response (http://roflcopters.ytmnd.com/)

Chadj
10-11-2004, 05:59 PM
... Wow. That was amusing.

[Edited on 10-11-2004 by Chadj]