PDA

View Full Version : Sony hack

Allereli
12-04-2014, 06:12 PM
holy crap.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/04/technology/security/sony-hack/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

some snippets:

Unequal salaries. The world now knows what Sony employees make. The news organization Fusion spotted a major pay gap that runs on gender and race lines. There are 17 people at Sony Pictures who make more than $1 million a year. Only one is black. Only one is a woman.

All of this is getting posted publicly in huge batches of computer files on sites like Pastebin.com and illegal file-sharing websites. Security researcher Dan Tentler has found that the files are being shared using computer servers owned by Sony's PlayStation Network -- adding insult to injury.

Hackers took more than hundred terabytes of data -- a leak of information so huge that Sanabria thinks it'll take Sony a year or more to go through it all and deal with the damage.

As for the latest attack, Sony executives think it might be North Korea. After all, Sony is about to release "The Interview," a comedy about a plot to kill North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un.

Gelston
12-04-2014, 06:16 PM
Women and black people don't deserve to make more than white men.

Androidpk
12-04-2014, 06:18 PM
Damn. Someone's getting paid a million dollars a year to make sandwiches!?

Gelston
12-04-2014, 06:19 PM
Damn. Someone's getting paid a million dollars a year to make sandwiches!?

She knits sweaters and socks too.

Latrinsorm
12-04-2014, 06:20 PM
Big deal, Bobmuhthol can't get out of bed in the morning without hacking a couple hundred TB of data.

Back
12-04-2014, 07:59 PM
At least the stock price hasn't gone down.

Pretty sure it's North Korea. I'm not in approval of Rogan and that other guy's movie about assassinating a current leader.

Cohen's Dictator was a spoof on a real dictator but at least he kept it non personal.

Androidpk
12-04-2014, 08:07 PM
At least the stock price hasn't gone down.

Pretty sure it's North Korea. I'm not in approval of Rogan and that other guy's movie about assassinating a current leader.

Cohen's Dictator was a spoof on a real dictator but at least he kept it non personal.

Wonder what would happen if someone did this about Obama. Incoming secret service!

Taernath
12-04-2014, 08:07 PM
There are 17 people at Sony Pictures who make more than $1 million a year. Only one is black. Only one is a woman.

How many are azn though?

Candor
12-04-2014, 08:19 PM
Wow. That's so much data that it had to take quite a long time to download, even with current bandwidth capacities. And no one detected it?

Jace Solo
12-05-2014, 02:06 PM
Has anyone gotten a hold of the complete lists of salary info? I've been trying to locate it and can't seem to find it, even on torrentz.

Tisket
12-05-2014, 02:52 PM
Unequal salaries. The world now knows what Sony employees make. The news organization Fusion spotted a major pay gap that runs on gender and race lines. There are 17 people at Sony Pictures who make more than $1 million a year. Only one is black. Only one is a woman.

Without statistical information on the other 3800 employees and each department, the importance of this statement is meaningless.

Tisket
12-05-2014, 02:55 PM
Wow. That's so much data that it had to take quite a long time to download, even with current bandwidth capacities. And no one detected it?

It could have been an employee with a thumb drive for all we know.

Jeril
12-05-2014, 03:46 PM
Without statistical information on the other 3800 employees and each department, the importance of this statement is meaningless.

Don't go trying to make sense now, Tisket.

Latrinsorm
12-05-2014, 04:27 PM
It could have been an employee with a thumb drive for all we know.Girl you got some big thumbs.

Tisket
12-05-2014, 04:44 PM
Girl you got some big thumbs.

All those years of gaming had to have an upside.

Tgo01
12-16-2014, 04:39 PM
http://www.aol.com/article/2014/12/16/sony-hackers-threaten-9-11-style-terror-attacks-on-theaters-showing-the-interview/21117140/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl2|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D583358

The Sony cyber attacks have taken a dark turn -- the hackers are now threatening a terrorist attack on the scale of 9/11.

The Guardians of Peace (GOP) have threatened mass-scale terror attacks against theaters showing "The Interview," a Sony film starring Seth Rogen and James Franco that satirizes the assassination of North Korean dictator Kim Jong-Un.

The threats were disseminated from a message left on filesharing services that contain links to the leaked documents, according to BuzzFeed.

"We will clearly show it to you at the very time and places [sic] "The Interview" be shown, including the premiere, how bitter fate those who seek fun in terror should be doomed to," the chilling message reads.

"Soon all the world will see what an awful movie Sony Pictures Entertainment has made," it continues. "The world will be full of fear.

"Remember the 11th of September 2001."

The hackers caution people from going to the showings and even advise them to leave their homes if they live close to a theater showing the film.

"The Interview" is set to premiere on Christmas Day.

The warning is not the first to come from GOP, but it is the most menacing.

Threats were previously made by the hackers against the families of Sony employees.

"Your family will be in danger," the hackers told workers at the movie studio.

In response, management had employees shut off all handheld devices with access to email or the corporate network.

No known ramifications have yet occurred to employees families.

The movie studio has not indicated it will change the movie's premiere date. Meanwhile, two former Sony employees filed a federal lawsuit against Sony on Tuesday, the Associated Press reported.

The lawsuit, which was filed in U.S. district court in Calif. and is seeking class-action status, alleges that Sony executives knew the company was vulnerable to a cyber-attack, but never took the proper measures to remedy its security flaws.

You know, I obviously don't agree with terrorism but these guys are making some good points. Why did anyone think it would be a good idea to make a comedy about assassinating the leader of a country? And it's set to be released on Christmas day of all days?

I also love how their name is GOP. They better have done that on purpose!

Wrathbringer
12-16-2014, 04:43 PM
http://www.aol.com/article/2014/12/16/sony-hackers-threaten-9-11-style-terror-attacks-on-theaters-showing-the-interview/21117140/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl2|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D583358

You know, I obviously don't agree with terrorism but these guys are making some good points. Why did anyone think it would be a good idea to make a comedy about assassinating the leader of a country? And it's set to be released on Christmas day of all days?

Quick! Nukes save lives! Bomb N. Korea!

Gelston
12-16-2014, 04:56 PM

Good thing we have that whole Freedom of Speech thing here. I can't wait to see that movie.

Tgo01
12-16-2014, 05:37 PM
Good thing we have that whole Freedom of Speech thing here. I can't wait to see that movie.

But the terrorist threats!!!

JackWhisper
12-16-2014, 05:53 PM
I don't see why anyone's all pissy about this movie.

I mean, come on, when you are THAT much buckets of cray-cray, you're asking for it. At least it's hilarious. Same with the South Park Taliban shit. At least it's hilarious.

SHAFT
12-16-2014, 06:36 PM
They didn't get in an uproar about team america. The guys from South Park painted kim Jong il in a horrible way.

JackWhisper
12-16-2014, 06:46 PM
Kim Jong isn't part of the Taliban.

OR IS HE?!

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2010/04/20/website-warns-south-park-creators-face-retribution-depicting-muhammad/

That.

rolfard
12-16-2014, 07:50 PM
They have only updated their modems to 28.8 baud this year.

Tgo01
12-17-2014, 09:10 AM
Just heard on the news that the premier of this movie has been canceled.

The terrorists have won!!!

Wrathbringer
12-17-2014, 09:30 AM
Just heard on the news that the premier of this movie has been canceled.

The terrorists have won!!!

They won 13 years ago when they trolled us into never ending war and 6 hour airport security waits.

Tgo01
12-17-2014, 09:43 AM
They won 13 years ago when they trolled us into never ending war and 6 hour airport security waits.

True. True.

Johnny Five
12-17-2014, 09:58 AM
It's not never ending. We just won't use the means to end it.

Parkbandit
12-17-2014, 10:37 AM
It's not never ending. We just won't use the means to end it.

Drop 1,000,000 of these over the Middle East and we would most certainly "win".

http://eziaha.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/bear-hugs.gif

Gelston
12-17-2014, 06:34 PM
And Sony isn't releasing the movie at all in theaters now. Congrats, terrorists.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30526406

Comedian Jimmy Kimmel tweeted that the decision by theatres to refuse to show the film was "an un-American act of cowardice that validates terrorist actions and sets a terrifying precedent."

Oh look, I agree with Jimmy Kimmel.

Taernath
12-17-2014, 06:35 PM
Can you imagine the state of the world if Team America: World Police was never released?

Gelston
12-17-2014, 06:37 PM
Can you imagine the state of the world if Team America: World Police was never released?

Yeah, we wouldn't have...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnUgAaea4M

Fallen
12-17-2014, 06:38 PM
Sony should just sell it directly on Youtube/Vimeo etc. Yes, it will easily be pirated, but people will stay pay for it. Might as well get something back.

Androidpk
12-17-2014, 06:39 PM
Once those threats of violence came out no movie theater chain wanted to show the movie. Liability and all that.

Gelston
12-17-2014, 06:40 PM
Why couldn't Twilight have received terrorist threats?

You know, this whole thing reminds me of that South Park episode where it was revealed that family guy writers were manatees.

Gelston
12-17-2014, 06:42 PM
Sony should just sell it directly on Youtube/Vimeo etc. Yes, it will easily be pirated, but people will stay pay for it. Might as well get something back.

I imagine they'll eventually make it a direct internet release sometime next year or the year after.

Fallen
12-17-2014, 06:42 PM
Once those threats of violence came out no movie theater chain wanted to show the movie. Liability and all that.

Could have been a moment for a big chain to score some great press by actively supporting the film. Unless you think there would actually be an attack, which I highly doubt.

Taernath
12-17-2014, 06:50 PM
Could have been a moment for a big chain to score some great press by actively supporting the film. Unless you think there would actually be an attack, which I highly doubt.

I dunno, but it goes both ways. They show it and something happens, people will still sue. I think it's a bad precedent to set though.

Tgo01
12-17-2014, 06:54 PM
Probably the timing. Aurora wasn't all that long ago.

SHAFT
12-17-2014, 07:55 PM
What could the hackers possibly do to harm movie goers? Turn the lights off? People stumble about in the dark and get a bump on the head? Saddened that Sony is pulling the movie.

Wrathbringer
12-17-2014, 08:01 PM
What could the hackers possibly do to harm movie goers? Turn the lights off? People stumble about in the dark and get a bump on the head? Saddened that Sony is pulling the movie.

Obama negotiates with terrorists and now everyone wants to do it.

Fallen
12-17-2014, 08:10 PM
Update:

According to Variety (http://variety.com/2014/film/news/sony-has-no-further-release-plans-for-the-interview-1201382167/), a spokesman from Sony stated "“Sony Pictures has no further release plans for the film", which includes DVD or VOD. Many had speculated a VOD release might be forthcoming once Sony announced plans to cancel the film in theaters.

JackWhisper
12-17-2014, 08:12 PM
The entire situation smacks of cowardice and idiocy.

I just want to see the film now.

Gelston
12-17-2014, 08:16 PM
Update:

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Eh, they say that now. I bet it gets released in some form eventually.

Fallen
12-17-2014, 08:18 PM
Eh, they say that now. I bet it gets released in some form eventually.

I think they should sell the rights to the film to someone else and be done with it.

subzero
12-17-2014, 08:19 PM
I dunno, but it goes both ways. They show it and something happens, people will still sue. I think it's a bad precedent to set though.

I imagine someone could come up with a slick little disclaimer to cover their asses.

Gelston
12-17-2014, 08:22 PM
I think they should sell the rights to the film to someone else and be done with it.

I'd like for it to be "leaked" to the internet.

Taernath
12-17-2014, 09:03 PM
So.. assuming it never gets released. What does that mean for the actors and workers who spent X months working on it? I wouldn't imagine they just take a loss and move on. Do they get some sort of compensation from Sony? I don't know how the film industry handles this sort of thing.

Gelston
12-17-2014, 09:05 PM
So.. assuming it never gets released. What does that mean for the actors and workers who spent X months working on it? I wouldn't imagine they just take a loss and move on. Do they get some sort of compensation from Sony? I don't know how the film industry handles this sort of thing.

They'd have already been paid.

Fallen
12-17-2014, 09:05 PM
They'd have already been paid.

One would hope they didn't have any of their pay in residuals.

Gelston
12-17-2014, 09:18 PM
One would hope they didn't have any of their pay in residuals.

I imagine they'd have gotten more based on the success of the film, at least the main cast, but it was never a high budget film in the first place.

Allereli
12-17-2014, 10:05 PM
http://www.mediaite.com/online/texas-movie-theater-will-show-team-america-instead-of-the-interview/

Fallen
12-17-2014, 11:15 PM
It is very bizarre to continue to see previews on TV for a movie that at this moment is never coming out.

Tgo01
12-17-2014, 11:22 PM
It is very bizarre to continue to see previews on TV for a movie that at this moment is never coming out.

Sony is nothing but a cock tease now!

Gelston
12-17-2014, 11:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALYw9eJ_jf0&feature=youtu.be

Tgo01
12-17-2014, 11:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALYw9eJ_jf0&feature=youtu.be

Is that really from the movie or is it a different movie?

That's actually kind of a sad death scene for such a little piece of shit.

Gelston
12-17-2014, 11:39 PM
Is that really from the movie or is it a different movie?

That's actually kind of a sad death scene for such a little piece of shit.

It is leaked from the movie.

I should have probably said it was a spoiler first.

Tgo01
12-17-2014, 11:42 PM
It is leaked from the movie.

I should have probably said it was a spoiler first.

Kim Jong Un dies in a movie about assassinating Kim Jong Un?!? This is madness! Nothing makes sense anymore!

Taernath
12-17-2014, 11:42 PM
Br00t4l

Gelston
12-17-2014, 11:44 PM
Br00t4l

l3l2l_l74I_

Atlanteax
12-18-2014, 08:53 AM
There is speculation that Sony will release the film in the last week of Dec or early Jan, with enhanced publicity from the whole affair, and making more $$ than they otherwise would had, from people buying tickets out of protest @ the hack / terrorism threat.

Gelston
12-18-2014, 09:40 AM
There is speculation that Sony will release the film in the last week of Dec or early Jan, with enhanced publicity from the whole affair, and making more $$ than they otherwise would had, from people buying tickets out of protest @ the hack / terrorism threat.

Don't know where they'd release it to make a lot, the top 4 Theater companies(Regal, AMC, Cinemark, and that other one) said no. That is the main reason the shelved it.

crb
12-18-2014, 09:47 AM
http://www.mediaite.com/online/texas-movie-theater-will-show-team-america-instead-of-the-interview/

Texas wins again.

Tisket
12-18-2014, 12:20 PM
I'm having a hard time getting worked up over this. It's not like The Interview was headed for an academy award or anything. I think it was badly done to make the movie in the first place though but, it's not the first time a movie has shown the assassination of a sitting head of state. Death of a President comes to mind. Some how or other it managed to get released without anyone losing their minds.

Thin-skinned people just annoy me on general principles.

SHAFT
12-18-2014, 12:31 PM
Texas wins again.

I was thinking a double feature of team america and the interview would go over well.

Gelston
12-18-2014, 12:49 PM
I'm having a hard time getting worked up over this. It's not like The Interview was headed for an academy award or anything. I think it was badly done to make the movie in the first place though but, it's not the first time a movie has shown the assassination of a sitting head of state. Death of a President comes to mind. Some how or other it managed to get released without anyone losing their minds.

Thin-skinned people just annoy me on general principles.

I think it is more the fact that this is literally one of those times that "the terrorists have won." Threats of violence caused Hollywood, a major American culture icon, to back down. I also kinda wanted to go see it.

Jace Solo
12-18-2014, 01:08 PM
I'll really angry about the "pussing out", actually. I think our government should shut them down with a cyberstrike. Let them deal with the riots associated with their leadership on shutdown. We are really at a point where we need to call their bluff or understand that other countries will be taking note of our reaction and know they can push us around.

I think it would be incredible, and say something for the human race in general, if we were to have nuclear holocaust over a movie. Honestly, I can't think of a better way to go out. At least it wasn't for some dumb chick named Helen.

Our freedom of speech doesn't mean a whole lot if we let other countries dictate what we can say.

Tisket
12-18-2014, 01:16 PM
[red]Thread: Sony hack (http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?93630-Sony-hack&p=1729600#post1729600)
why would a sovereign nation have a problem with us creating propaganda about murdering their president durrrrrrrrr

The dumb fuckery here is astounding.

Gelston
12-18-2014, 01:23 PM
I'll really angry about the "pussing out", actually. I think our government should shut them down with a cyberstrike. Let them deal with the riots associated with their leadership on shutdown. We are really at a point where we need to call their bluff or understand that other countries will be taking note of our reaction and know they can push us around.

I think it would be incredible, and say something for the human race in general, if we were to have nuclear holocaust over a movie. Honestly, I can't think of a better way to go out. At least it wasn't for some dumb chick named Helen.

Our freedom of speech doesn't mean a whole lot if we let other countries dictate what we can say.

Well, much like Helen, I doubt the movie would be the actual reason for the war (that I doubt would occur anyways.) Just a casus belli... No matter how weak.

Tisket
12-18-2014, 01:29 PM
I also kinda wanted to go see it.

You'll get to see it, or rather, versions of it in coming months. The internet youtube directors of the world are probably hard at work creating a myriad of mini three minute epics with a similar story line. Stay tuned.

Androidpk
12-18-2014, 01:30 PM
The real question is anything going to be done to North Korea.

Tisket
12-18-2014, 01:31 PM
The real question is anything going to be done to North Korea.

What, like sanction them?

lol

Gelston
12-18-2014, 01:35 PM
You'll get to see it, or rather, versions of it in coming months. The internet youtube directors of the world are probably hard at work creating a myriad of mini three minute epics with a similar story line. Stay tuned.

That is different from seeing it at the movies with overpriced popcorn and drinks.

Taernath
12-18-2014, 01:36 PM

lol

Yeah, they are already under what amounts to the maximum sanctions that can be imposed. The only thing left is to go to war, and going to war over a movie prrrrobably won't happen.

Androidpk
12-18-2014, 01:36 PM

lol

That could be a start.

Gelston
12-18-2014, 01:37 PM
That could be a start.

.... What more can we really do?

Tgo01
12-18-2014, 01:37 PM
The only thing left is to go to war, and going to war over a movie prrrrobably won't happen.

The US has become a nation of pussies ever since Obama was elected!

Tisket
12-18-2014, 01:39 PM
That could be a start.

My "lol" was at you, not with you.

There are no sanctions left to use against NK.

Taernath
12-18-2014, 01:40 PM
The US has become a nation of pussies ever since Obama was elected!

Obama and Kim should settle this Thunderdome style.

Wrathbringer
12-18-2014, 01:40 PM
.... What more can we really do?

I'd like to see us drop tons of manure from a packed c130 on un's house while blaring fart noises from loudspeakers, for starters.

Tgo01
12-18-2014, 01:42 PM
Obama and Kim should settle this Thunderdome style.

Sounds like a win/win.

Androidpk
12-18-2014, 01:43 PM
My "lol" was at you, not with you.

There are no sanctions left to use against NK.

There are still some banking institutions used by Pyongyang that we could sanction.

Gelston
12-18-2014, 01:44 PM
Sounds like a win/win.

A skinny nonathletic black man vs a fat nonathletic asian man. Could be interesting.

Tisket
12-18-2014, 01:44 PM
I'd like to see us drop tons of manure from a packed c130 on un's house while blaring fart noises from loudspeakers, for starters.

You know that you don't bring anything to a serious discussion except stupidity, right?

If you only realized how little esteem you are held in here, you'd slink off in shame.

Well, anyone with even a modicum of grace would that is. Which means we are probably stuck with you forever.

Wrathbringer
12-18-2014, 01:46 PM
You know that you don't bring anything to a serious discussion except stupidity, right?

If you only realized how little esteem you are held in here, you'd slink off in shame.

Well, anyone with even a modicum of grace would that is. Which means we are probably stuck with you forever.

Good afternoon, your Twatiness.

Androidpk
12-18-2014, 01:48 PM
A skinny nonathletic black man vs a fat nonathletic asian man. Could be interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTlHPiZtGaw

Gelston
12-18-2014, 01:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJGkPf9gZzM

Taernath
12-18-2014, 01:51 PM
A skinny nonathletic black man
Hey, golf is an athletical thing!

Androidpk
12-18-2014, 01:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP4keCkYHYU

Gelston
12-18-2014, 01:54 PM
Hey, golf is an athletical thing!

I don't know, I feel that NASCAR is more athletic, personally, and I really have a hard time considering that a sport.

Taernath
12-18-2014, 02:01 PM
I don't know, I feel that NASCAR is more athletic, personally, and I really have a hard time considering that a sport.

Next I bet you're going to say curling isn't a sport, huh tough guy?

Androidpk
12-18-2014, 02:07 PM
Gemstone is a sport.

Allereli
12-18-2014, 02:12 PM
WWDRD?

(What would Denis Rodman do?)

Latrinsorm
12-18-2014, 02:12 PM
B... basketball is a sport... :(

Gelston
12-18-2014, 02:15 PM
Next I bet you're going to say curling isn't a sport, huh tough guy?

I always end up watching and getting into curling during the winter olympics.

Tisket
12-18-2014, 02:30 PM
I always end up watching and getting into curling during the winter olympics.

Curling is much more exciting in person.

Yes, I've been to actual curling events.

I'm cool that way.

Gelston
12-18-2014, 02:39 PM

I'm cool that way.

Is that just you cleaning your kitchen?

crb
12-18-2014, 02:40 PM
[red]Thread: Sony hack (http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?93630-Sony-hack&p=1729600#post1729600)
why would a sovereign nation have a problem with us creating propaganda about murdering their president durrrrrrrrr

The dumb fuckery here is astounding.

I keep being utterly shocked when, what is supposedly an American, posts that we're making propaganda about murdering their president. I understand perhaps chinese or korean people thinking this, they don't know any better, they live under regimes entirely devoid of satire and sarcasm. But when an American posts it I can only assume their PC has been hacked or something, because seriously.... you keep using this word "propaganda" I don't think this word means what you think it means.

Johnny Five
12-18-2014, 02:41 PM

I'm cool that way.

http://www.2014bcseniorsgames.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/floor-curling4.jpg

Gelston
12-18-2014, 02:42 PM
http://www.2014bcseniorsgames.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/floor-curling4.jpg

That is shuffleboard you damn hack.

Johnny Five
12-18-2014, 02:44 PM
That is shuffleboard you damn hack.

http://sp.ria.ru/images/15905/90/159059016.jpg

I'd watch her curl that's for sure.

subzero
12-18-2014, 04:16 PM
http://sp.ria.ru/images/15905/90/159059016.jpg

I'd watch her curl that's for sure.

She looks like a midget doing that Russian dance.

Tgo01
12-18-2014, 04:19 PM
Theaters that were going to show "Team America" instead of "The Interview" are also canceling plans of showing "Team America" too. (http://www.aol.com/article/2014/12/18/team-america-screenings-also-pulled-from-theaters/21118498/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D585132)

NEW YORK (AP) -- Programmed as a playful substitute to "The Interview," Trey Parker and Matt Stone's North Korea comedy "Team America: World Police" also has been pulled from theaters.

After Sony dropped its planned Dec. 25 release of "The Interview" on Wednesday, a handful of theaters plugged in 10-year anniversary screenings of "Team America," the 2004 puppet film that parodies former North Korea leader Kim Jong Il.

Cleveland's Capitol Theater said its "Team America" screening was canceled by Paramount Pictures, the studio that released the film. Texas' Alamo Drafthouse said it was pulling "Team America" showings on Dec. 27 "due to circumstances beyond our control."

Paramount didn't immediately comment Thursday.

The US now lets North Korea push it around.

NORTH KOREA!!! A country filled with poverty and malnourished short people.

RIP
US
1776 - 2014

Johnny Five
12-18-2014, 04:24 PM
She looks like a midget doing that Russian dance.

Even if she was a midget.... :bananahit:

Androidpk
12-21-2014, 04:20 PM
So it sounds like Sony will be releasing this movie for free on Crackle.com

Jace Solo
12-21-2014, 06:57 PM
Hmmmm.

http://nypost.com/2014/12/21/sony-plans-to-release-the-interview-on-crackle-for-free/

A tiny fuck you back to NK?

Gelston
12-21-2014, 07:22 PM
Damn, they just hooked themselves up with some major advertisement for their service.

Gelston
12-21-2014, 07:24 PM
This says that the crackled thing isn't for sure yet...

http://recode.net/2014/12/21/sony-hasnt-decided-where-to-stream-the-interview-meaning-not-on-crackle-for-now/

The studio hasn’t decided where or how to release the Seth Rogen comedy, which was at the center of a devastating hack attack by North Korea that crippled the company. A New York Post report saying the film would be shown on Crackle, Sony’s own free video-streaming service, is wrong, according to Sony spokeswoman Lauren Condoluci of Rubenstein Communications.

Androidpk
12-21-2014, 07:34 PM
Crackle is awesome for watching Jeopardy reruns.

Parkbandit
12-21-2014, 07:44 PM
Never even heard of Crackle before this. I think it's the perfect solution, if Crackle could handle the big bump in traffic.

Wrathbringer
12-21-2014, 07:57 PM
Never even heard of Crackle before this. I think it's the perfect solution, if Crackle could handle the big bump in traffic.

Good for him. Snap and Pop have been riding his coattails for a couple decades now.

waywardgs
12-21-2014, 07:57 PM
Anonymous is also claiming they'll be "releasing" it on Christmas.

Gelston
12-21-2014, 07:59 PM
Anonymous is also claiming they'll be "releasing" it on Christmas.

I hope it isn't covered in those dumbass Guy Fawks masks.

Allereli
12-21-2014, 08:11 PM
Crackle airs Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee

Tgo01
12-22-2014, 06:07 PM
US response to North Korea hacking? (http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/offline-north-korea-suffers-widespread-internet-outage-n273281)

North Korea experienced a widespread Internet outage on Monday, less than a week after the FBI accused the country of being behind the hack that forced Sony Pictures to cancel the release of 'The Interview.' The Internet blackout began sometime Monday morning Eastern Time, a U.S. official confirmed to NBC News. A second U.S. official strongly denied any U.S. involvement in the outage. It was not immediately clear what had caused the outage, which came after President Barack Obama promised that the United States would "respond proportionally" to what he said on Sunday was an "act of cybervandalism."

The hack of Sony Pictures by a group calling itself the "Guardians of Peace," or GOP, forced the studio to cancel the planned Christmas release of the action-comedy, which centers around a plot to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. While North Korea's elite might be affected by the outage, most of the country's citizens don't have access to the Internet. DYN Research conducts Internet performance tests around the world. It noticed the problem when it could no longer connect to North Korean websites. "It seemed like in the last 24 hours it was getting progressively worse until it went offline," Doug Madory, director of Internet analysis at DYN Research, told NBC News. "That means that nobody in the world can send any Internet traffic to North Korea, and they can't send anything out."

We'll probably never know if the US government was actually responsible for this but even assuming we are...it's cute and all but I don't think it's going to have much effect on them unless we keep their internet down for like a year or something. A couple hours? I'm sure the two people in North Korea with outside internet access might be a little peeved they can't stream Mad Men.

Tgo01
12-22-2014, 06:24 PM
Better article...well AOL so sort of. (http://www.aol.com/article/2014/12/22/north-koreas-internet-goes-down-in-possible-revenge-for-sony-hacking-scandal/21120067/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D587221)

North Korea's Internet –- yes, the country does have web access –- appears to be under a major attack despite many experts doubting the regime's involvement in the Sony Pictures hacking scandal.

The hermit kingdom's usually spotty Internet access is currently experiencing more issues than usual, according to the blog North Korea Tech. This includes all websites hosted inside the country.

The communist country's connection to the outside world is failing and websites hosted within its borders keep going down, according to cyber security firm Dyn Research, which runs the blog.

"I haven't seen such a steady beat of routing instability and outages in KP before," Doug Madory, director of Internet analysis at Dyn Research, wrote in the post.

"Usually there are isolated blips, not continuous connectivity problems. I wouldn't be surprised if they are absorbing some sort of attack presently."

The cyberassault comes only days after President Barack Obama promised a "proportional response" following the FBI's report detailing the North's involvement in hack, which forced Sony to cancel the release of "The Interview."

Modory told the New York Times that the series of events is consistent with a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack on their routers.

"Their networks are under duress," he told the paper.

The reclusive regime's Internet presence is scarce, numbering just over 1,000 known IP addresses, according to the Times. By comparison, the U.S. has billions.

Kim Jong Un's starving, oppressed masses are unlikely to even know what the Internet is, let alone be affected by an outage.

The country's nascent web surfing is done mostly by government officials, state-run media and assumed armies of hackers.

Matthew Prince, founder of San Francisco-based web security firm CloudFlare, told the Times that North Korea's Internet is "toast," adding that it has simply "gone away."

The surprising development comes as many experts have called into question the North's involvement in the infiltration of Sony Pictures.

Marc Rodgers, also of CloudFlare, argued on his blog that he believes any North Korean involvement is highly unlikely.

Rodgers' doubt is fueled by nuances in the Korean language unique to the North Korean dialect but not found in any written communications from the hackers, the group's knowledge of Sony's internal systems and the fact that the saboteurs only latched on to "The Interview" after reports North Korea was involved.

"Blaming North Korea is the easy way out for a number of folks, including the security vendors and Sony management," wrote Rodgers. "It probably also suits a number of political agendas."

The Pentagon has not publicly acknowledged the North Korean Internet outage and would likely not admit any possible involvement in such an operation.

This is the first I'm hearing of "experts" doubting North Korea was involved. I like how the one "expert" they mention is quoting his blog.

Latrinsorm
12-22-2014, 07:09 PM
This is the first I'm hearing of "experts" doubting North Korea was involved. I like how the one "expert" they mention is quoting his blog.Then again, why did you believe North Korea was involved in the first place? Because Obama told you? He doesn't even have a blog.

Tgo01
12-22-2014, 07:30 PM
Then again, why did you believe North Korea was involved in the first place? Because Obama told you? He doesn't even have a blog.

Why would a black man living in the White House lie about a yellow man hacking another yellow man's business? Stop being so racist.

SHAFT
12-22-2014, 07:52 PM
"It's as if North Korea got erased from the global map of the Internet," he said.

I love it. Of course it's the U.S., but it's not the US.

Taernath
12-22-2014, 08:31 PM
BREAKING: DOZENS LEFT WITHOUT INTERNET AS NORTH KOREA SUFFERS DEVASTATING DDOS ATTACK

Gelston
12-23-2014, 01:01 AM
It was me. I hacked Sony.

Androidpk
12-24-2014, 01:39 PM
You can rent or buy this movie on google play or youtube movies.

Gelston
12-24-2014, 01:46 PM
Watching now.

Androidpk
12-24-2014, 02:12 PM
Watching now.

Snape kills Kim.

Gelston
12-24-2014, 04:07 PM
Just finished it. It had it's moments. Basically like any other Seth Rogan/James Franco comedy.

waywardgs
12-24-2014, 04:15 PM
BREAKING: DOZENS LEFT WITHOUT INTERNET AS NORTH KOREA SUFFERS DEVASTATING DDOS ATTACK

Heh. They have about a thousand ip addresses. America has roughly a billion.

waywardgs
12-24-2014, 04:20 PM
US response to North Korea hacking? (http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/offline-north-korea-suffers-widespread-internet-outage-n273281)

We'll probably never know if the US government was actually responsible for this but even assuming we are...it's cute and all but I don't think it's going to have much effect on them unless we keep their internet down for like a year or something. A couple hours? I'm sure the two people in North Korea with outside internet access might be a little peeved they can't stream Mad Men.

China wasn't happy about the hack either. Could easily be that Obama called up china and said hey, flip the switch on those assholes for a bit. Just a little reminder that they can be knocked off basically at will. Not really meant to be devastating.

Taernath
12-24-2014, 04:47 PM
Heh. They have about a thousand ip addresses. America has roughly a billion.

Interesting video, particularly when they went to an office where the workers were just staring at computers doing nothing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrCQh1usdzE

I think there was a reddit AMA where a guy who taught CS in NK talked about their infrastructure.

*edit* here it is: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1ucl11/iama_american_who_spent_the_fall_teaching/

Parkbandit
12-30-2014, 08:15 AM
FBI agents investigating the Sony Pictures hack were briefed Monday by a security firm that says its research points to laid-off Sony staff, not North Korea, as the perpetrator — another example of the continuing whodunit blame game around the devastating attack.

Even the unprecedented decision to release details of an ongoing FBI investigation and President Barack Obama publicly blaming the hermit authoritarian regime hasn’t quieted a chorus of well-qualified skeptics who say the evidence just doesn’t add up.

Researchers from the cyber intelligence company Norse have said their own investigation into the data on the Sony attack doesn’t point to North Korea at all and instead indicates some combination of a disgruntled employee and hackers for piracy groups is at fault.

The FBI says it is standing by its conclusions, but the security community says they’ve been open and receptive to help from the private sector throughout the Sony investigation.
Norse, one of the world’s leading cyber intelligence firms, has been researching the hack since it was made public just before Thanksgiving.

Norse’s senior vice president of market development said that just the quickness of the FBI’s conclusion that North Korea was responsible was a red flag.

“When the FBI made the announcement so soon after the initial hack was unveiled, everyone in the [cyber] intelligence community kind of raised their eyebrows at it, because it’s really hard to pin this on anyone within days of the attack,” Kurt Stammberger said in an interview as his company briefed FBI investigators Monday afternoon.

He said the briefing was set up after his company approached the agency with its findings.

Stammberger said after the meeting the FBI was “very open and grateful for our data and assistance” but didn’t share any of its data with Norse, although that was what the company expected.
The FBI said Monday it is standing behind its assessment, adding that evidence doesn’t support any other explanations.

“The FBI has concluded the Government of North Korea is responsible for the theft and destruction of data on the network of Sony Pictures Entertainment. Attribution to North Korea is based on intelligence from the FBI, the U.S. intelligence community, DHS, foreign partners and the private sector,” a spokeswoman said in a statement. “There is no credible information to indicate that any other individual is responsible for this cyber incident.”

The spokeswoman had no comment on further inquiries about the briefing and whether the FBI found Norse’s case convincing.

A source who had been briefed on the FBI’s investigation said the agency had considered an insider as a possible explanation for the attack, but it wasn’t supported by the evidence.

The FBI won’t comment further on an open investigation, referring questions to the initial update on the investigation the agency released 10 days ago. That unusual release cited similarities between the malware and infrastructure behind the Sony attack and previous attacks attributed to North Korea as well as technical links to known North Korean-developed malware.

But many security researchers have found that evidence to be thin and unconvincing.

In addition to Norse’s analysis of Internet forums where perpetrators may have communicated and compiled dates within the malware used, a report from firm Taia Global said a linguistic analysis of the purported hacker messages points to Russian speakers rather than Korean.

Security expert Bruce Schneier called the evidence “circumstantial at best” and considered a number of other possible explanations. CloudFlare principal researcher and DefCon official Marc Rogers wrote that the FBI’s indicators seem to rely on malware that is widely available for purchase and IP addresses easily hijacked by any bad guy. Errata Security’s Robert Graham also noted the hacker underground shares plenty of code, calling the FBI’s evidence “nonsense.”

But the doubters leave open the possibility that the government has other intelligence supporting the idea that it’s North Korea that they don’t have access to, and a U.S. official told POLITICO it is likely the U.S. has access to information it is choosing to not release.

The official said law enforcement is still treating the incident as an “active criminal investigation” but that may or may not lead to a prosecution built on evidence that goes beyond a reasonable doubt.

“I think the intent was to release the information because this is the new normal, not to tuck away information and hide it as we have in the past,” the official said, calling the quick preliminary release “unprecedented.”

Stammberger said that if there is more information out there, it should be released to companies like his and others that are also investigating the attack.

“Whenever we see some indicators or leads that North Korea may be involved, when we follow those leads, they turn out to be dead ends,” Stammberger said. “Do I think it’s likely that [officials] have a smoking gun? … We think that we would have seen key indicators by now in our investigation that would point to the North Koreans: We don’t see those data points. So if they’ve got them, they should share some of them at least with the community and make a more convincing case.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/12/fbi-briefed-on-alternate-sony-hack-theory-113866.html#ixzz3NO0I985L

Atlanteax
12-30-2014, 08:35 AM
Disgruntled employees sound much more plausible than NK.

The most effective hacking enlists inside help (or sloppiness).

It certainly was questionable how readily the FBI declared NK to be the culprit. My hunch is that it was yet another poorly thought-out political decision.

Androidpk
12-30-2014, 08:37 AM
Disgruntled employees sound much more plausible than NK.

The most effective hacking enlists inside help (or sloppiness).

It certainly was questionable how readily the FBI declared NK to be the culprit. My hunch is that it was yet another poorly thought-out political decision.

Nothing like a good ole distraction for the masses. People went from shouting, "torture is evil!" to, "Murika!"

Parkbandit
12-30-2014, 09:02 AM
Nothing like a good ole distraction for the masses. People went from shouting, "torture is evil!" to, "Murika!"

Wait... in your head, who is responsible for this distraction?

Please say Dick Cheney or Halliburton...

Androidpk
12-30-2014, 09:08 AM
Wait... in your head, who is responsible for this distraction?

Please say Dick Cheney or Halliburton...

You think it was Dick Cheney too??

Fallen
12-31-2014, 08:24 AM
South Korea activist to parachute 100,000 copies of The Interview into North Korea with balloons

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/south-korea-activist-parachute-100000-copies-interview-into-north-korea-balloons-1481403

lol.

Wrathbringer
12-31-2014, 08:25 AM
South Korea activist to parachute 100,000 copies of The Interview into North Korea with balloons

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/south-korea-activist-parachute-100000-copies-interview-into-north-korea-balloons-1481403

lol.

he'd better parachute some tv's and dvd players too.

Parkbandit
12-31-2014, 08:30 AM
he'd better parachute some tv's and dvd players too.

And some electricity...

Wrathbringer
12-31-2014, 08:30 AM
And some electricity...

And outlets...They're going to need a lot of balloons.

JackWhisper
12-31-2014, 08:54 AM
So the REAL question is...

Is he BUYING 100,000 copies? Or buying like two, and pirate copying the other 99,998 onto recordable CD's?

Just saying.

Wrathbringer
12-31-2014, 09:30 AM
So the REAL question is...

Is he BUYING 100,000 copies? Or buying like two, and pirate copying the other 99,998 onto recordable CD's?

Just saying.

People still buy movies?

Lady Sylvan
01-01-2015, 10:13 AM
I want to see the movie just because it looks funny. And I will probably trying buying it just to say I own a copy. :-)

Ker_Thwap
01-01-2015, 11:13 AM
I want to see the movie just because it looks funny. And I will probably trying buying it just to say I own a copy. :-)

Just camp in the DMZ with a bb gun, can get a free pirated copy.

Back
01-01-2015, 11:39 AM
Sony stock is a little down, but over the past year, it's up.

Lady Sylvan
01-01-2015, 05:35 PM
Just camp in the DMZ with a bb gun, can get a free pirated copy.

I hear the DMZ is quite nice this time of year.