PDA

View Full Version : White Kid Gets Mugged, Blames His Privilege

Methais
11-30-2014, 04:34 AM
STUDENT ROBBED AT GUNPOINT, SAYS HE DESERVED IT DUE TO HIS 'PRIVILEGE' (http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Texas/2014/11/29/Student-Robbed-at-Gunpoint-Says-He-Deserved-It-Due-to-His-Privilege)

Predictions:

Back will agree.

WB could go either way.

TheE would have tried to talk them out of it and then leave if they seemed adverse to such advice.

wayward will cream his pants because it's a breitbart link.

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/6224510?utm_hp_ref=uk

Jarvan
11-30-2014, 05:40 AM
STUDENT ROBBED AT GUNPOINT, SAYS HE DESERVED IT DUE TO HIS 'PRIVILEGE' (http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Texas/2014/11/29/Student-Robbed-at-Gunpoint-Says-He-Deserved-It-Due-to-His-Privilege)

Predictions:

Back will agree.

WB could go either way.

TheE would have tried to talk them out of it and then leave if they seemed adverse to such advice.

Ok.. a few things..

"While I don’t know what exactly they needed the money for, I do know that I’ve never once had to think about going out on a Saturday night to mug people. I had never before seen a gun, let alone known where to get one. The fact that these two kids, who appeared younger than I, have even had to entertain these questions suggests their universes are light years away from mine."

The first part of the bold statement I could maybe understand. But the second part... he has NEVER heard of Gun Stores? Or an Army and Navy? Kid's delusional.

"When I walk around at 2 a.m., nobody looks at me suspiciously, and police don’t ask me any questions. I wonder if our attackers could say the same.

Does he walk around in gang colors, or in thug attire? I usually don't look twice at someone dressed normally, but I keep an eye on anyway that looks like they just got out of a rap video.

Seriously tho.. this kid is messed up in the head. I wonder if he realizes that if he feels that strongly that he is "privileged" he could .. I don't know.. give his shit away? NOT go to GU?

It's like that Johnson and Johnson kid.. who did the documentary on "Rich People". He's... wait for it... Rich. Did he give all his money away? Of course not. They don't do that till they die. They LIKE being privileged. I mean.. who WANTS to be poor?

Hightower
11-30-2014, 07:46 AM
I'm not sure how the logic ever crosses over from observing the realities of inequality to excusing the behavior of individuals who would commit crimes against others.

Ker_Thwap
11-30-2014, 08:10 AM
Why would anyone believe that this mugging ever occurred?

Latrinsorm
11-30-2014, 12:13 PM
I'm not sure how the logic ever crosses over from observing the realities of inequality to excusing the behavior of individuals who would commit crimes against others.It's very easy. All you have to do is misrepresent the person you're reporting on (usually to further your own agenda) and train an audience to believe you. If you read the actual op-ed by Mr. Friedfeld, he doesn't explicitly excuse anything. He refers to the incident as being "mugged" and to his attackers as "attackers" - suggesting that he isn't implicitly excusing them either. His point is that people shouldn't characterize his attackers as "thugs, criminals, and bad people". Do you think it's a coincidence that the same people who do that characterizing are the ones who are misrepresenting him?

Methais
11-30-2014, 12:16 PM
It's very easy. All you have to do is misrepresent the person you're reporting on (usually to further your own agenda) and train an audience to believe you. If you read the actual op-ed by Mr. Friedfeld, he doesn't explicitly excuse anything. He refers to the incident as being "mugged" and to his attackers as "attackers" - suggesting that he isn't implicitly excusing them either. His point is that people shouldn't characterize his attackers as "thugs, criminals, and bad people". Do you think it's a coincidence that the same people who do that characterizing are the ones who are misrepresenting him?

I'm sorry that you got mugged. How much did they take from you? They didn't take your camera did they?

If you had thought to strike up a conversation about basketball they probably would have forgotten they were even mugging you. Especially once you broke out the charts and graphs!

Live and learn, Latrin. Live and learn.

Latrinsorm
11-30-2014, 12:22 PM
I'm sorry that you got mugged. How much did they take from you? They didn't take your camera did they?

If you had thought to strike up a conversation about basketball they probably would have forgotten they were even mugging you!

Live and learn, Latrin. Live and learn.Since you bring it up I was mugged, however in my case (hate crime rather than economic) I can be reasonably certain it was because they were bad people. It is true that when I try to have a conversation with people they tend to leave, but alas, there was no opportunity to do so.

Tgo01
11-30-2014, 12:22 PM
That dude has enough white guilt for 100 white people.

Assuming the kid was actually mugged and he isn't just making up this story to further his stupid lame point, did anyone bother to mention to him that millionaires have been caught lying, cheating, stealing and even beating up/killing their significant others?

Oh, wait, that sort of blows his whole theory out of the water that only desperate people do shit like this and if we just gave everyone more money then crimes like these would go away :(

It also sort of makes Latrin look silly for defending his stupid actions. Twofer!

Tgo01
11-30-2014, 12:23 PM
Since you bring it up I was mugged, however in my case (hate crime rather than economic) I can be reasonably certain it was because they were bad people. It is true that when I try to have a conversation with people they tend to leave, but alas, there was no opportunity to do so.

Were they black?

Methais
11-30-2014, 12:48 PM
I got mugged by a black dude in Atlantic City once when I was 11.

It wasn't my fault, he was just a piece of shit.

He was also stupid, because all he got from me was a half roll of quarters when I had 2 more rolls in my pocket.

There was a lot of arcades on the Boardwalk back then. I bet they suck now.

Tgo01
11-30-2014, 01:06 PM
Were they black?

Thread: White Kid Gets Mugged, Blames His Privilege

eat a dick

What? It's a fair question.

Androidpk
11-30-2014, 01:08 PM
I've never been mugged and I've never been script checked. I'm blaming white privilege :(

Warriorbird
11-30-2014, 01:14 PM
I've never been mugged and I've never been script checked. I'm blaming white privilege :(

You prefer taking people's property is why, presumably.

Silvean
11-30-2014, 01:18 PM
Always nice to see Georgetown in the news.

Parkbandit
11-30-2014, 01:21 PM

http://myreactiongifs.com/gifs/nicolascageconfusedemotions.gif

Androidpk
11-30-2014, 01:25 PM

Guess that makes me the perfect liberal.

Jarvan
11-30-2014, 01:28 PM

+1

Latrinsorm
11-30-2014, 01:46 PM
That dude has enough white guilt for 100 white people.

Assuming the kid was actually mugged and he isn't just making up this story to further his stupid lame point, did anyone bother to mention to him that millionaires have been caught lying, cheating, stealing and even beating up/killing their significant others?

Oh, wait, that sort of blows his whole theory out of the water that only desperate people do shit like this and if we just gave everyone more money then crimes like these would go away :(

It also sort of makes Latrin look silly for defending his stupid actions. Twofer!You are (probably intentionally) exaggerating his position. He is merely observing an incentive, and as crb can tell you individual people don't always follow incentives. You can only really see them when you look at populations.
Were they black?I don't know, they attacked me from behind. Does it worry you that that's the first question you asked? Does it worry you that that's also the first question the police asked?

Jarvan
11-30-2014, 01:57 PM
I don't know, they attacked me from behind. Does it worry you that that's the first question you asked? Does it worry you that that's also the first question the police asked?

Not really.

Tgo01
11-30-2014, 01:58 PM
Does it worry you that that's the first question you asked? Does it worry you that that's also the first question the police asked?

Well the person in this article was obviously mugged by black people so I thought you were too since you were using your life experience as an example in this.

Geijon Khyree
11-30-2014, 02:19 PM
The subject on this is misleading. That's not even the point of the article linked really. Its about how he feels that society has created such a divide and desperation that people would even have to entertain mugging him or robbery in the first place.

Gelston
11-30-2014, 02:29 PM
The subject on this is misleading. That's not even the point of the article linked really. Its about how he feels that society has created such a divide and desperation that people would even have to entertain mugging him or robbery in the first place.

If everyone had a million dollars, and this didn't cause massive inflation and all things being equal, people would still be mugging and robbing others.

People are people, and some get a thrill out of this sort of behavior.

Androidpk
11-30-2014, 02:32 PM
If everyone had a million dollars, and this didn't cause massive inflation and all things being equal, people would still be mugging and robbing others.

People are people, and some get a thrill out of this sort of behavior.

Designer babies will be the wave of the future.

Jarvan
11-30-2014, 02:37 PM

Because rich people don't commit crimes.

Gelston
11-30-2014, 02:38 PM
Because rich people don't commit crimes.

I've never been robbed by a multimillionaire, pal.

I've also never been robbed.

Androidpk
11-30-2014, 02:43 PM

Because trickle down economics is legit and works.

Candor
11-30-2014, 02:53 PM
I might be wrong, but this mugging doesn't pass the smell test. I doubt it happened. I think a spoiled rich kid just wants some press time to pass on his liberal dogma.

I have been mugged once - nearly 30 years ago. It was a frightening experience that I would forget if I could. This kid doesn't sound the least bit upset by his "mugging".

Jarvan
11-30-2014, 02:54 PM

Yes you have, you just don't know it. Rich people don't usually rob at gun point, that's all.

Granted, rich people aren't likely to mug someone. But they certainly do violent crimes, and I am sure sometimes just for "kicks".

Tgo01
11-30-2014, 02:57 PM
It seems simple to me. You have X amount of money yet you want things that cost X + Y. Sure, some people would choose to forgo X + Y things until they could afford it, some would save, some would get another job and there are those who would choose to steal from others.

This happens across all socioeconomic levels. Those who fake their injuries to collect workers comp and disability pay? That's stealing even though they probably don't "need" that money.

Embezzlement, identity theft, dirty politicians, crooked cops, armed robberies. It's all the same shit committed by rich and poor people alike. Trying to claim this is society's fault is just a lame cop out made by an admitted rich/middle class person who has probably never used his money to help someone else out in his entire life.

Look at the documentary called "Breaking Bad." A simple high school chemistry teacher who is comfortable in his life suddenly wants more and wants to leave behind enough money for his family after he dies. Does he get a second job? Well, yes he does, but does he get a third job? No. Does he cut back on spending to achieve his goal? No. He starts making meth and isn't happy until he made around 100 million dollars.

Ker_Thwap
11-30-2014, 03:24 PM

We should be having frank discussions on many societal issues. Pretending to be mugged/assaulted/cut/shot/etc., and blaming it on white privilege, or two black guys, or homophobes, or clansmen or whatever one's agenda is, is a horrible way to promote one's point of view.

Latrinsorm
11-30-2014, 03:46 PM
Well the person in this article was obviously mugged by black people so I thought you were too since you were using your life experience as an example in this.Incorrect.
It seems simple to me.Coming up: affluent man fails to understand the experience of poverty, and at the top of the hour: a new study finds the Pacific Ocean to be wet.
You have X amount of money yet you want things that cost X + Y. Sure, some people would choose to forgo X + Y things until they could afford it, some would save, some would get another job and there are those who would choose to steal from others.And if they aren't wants, but necessities? Which economic demographic would you suppose is more likely to afford necessities as a general rule, rich or poor?
Because rich people don't commit crimes.As the author states, it's a question of supply and demand. These are continuous curves, not binary distinctions. I am shocked, shocked! that our resident R-teamers refuse to acknowledge this.

Tgo01
11-30-2014, 04:00 PM
And if they aren't wants, but necessities?

Yes. Someone stole his cell phone because they hadn't eaten in a week.

In other news the Atlantic Ocean is just as wet as the Pacific Ocean.

Androidpk
11-30-2014, 04:05 PM
Yes. Someone stole his cell phone because they hadn't eaten in a week.

In other news the Atlantic Ocean is just as wet as the Pacific Ocean.

Technically the Pacific has more water than the Atlantic.

Wrathbringer
11-30-2014, 04:08 PM

Predictions:

Back will agree.

WB could go either way.

This guy deserved to get mugged, and deserves to get mugged again, and a third time, and once more with an assault thrown in for good measure then we'll see if his perspective has changed any.

Tgo01
11-30-2014, 04:09 PM
Technically the Pacific has more water than the Atlantic.

.......................shut up!

Gelston
11-30-2014, 04:11 PM
.......................shut up!

Shut up, Latrin.

Silvean
11-30-2014, 04:14 PM
When I was in college, I knew a guy who faked his own mugging to get out of a finance exam. On the way to school at 9am, he beat his own ass, rolled around in a thorn bush, and tossed his shoes in the trash. I remember reading the police report in my e-mail: "Student's shoes and wallet stolen." He ended up sitting down with police detectives, looking through picture books, and was called in for at least one lineup. "Umm, yeah. I don't see the guy." He was able to take the exam he missed at his leisure.

I don't know this Georgetown student personally but I don't think he would take the risk of making up a mugging to push an agenda or kick off a social experiment. It's possible but seems unlikely since he could be expelled for it. Georgetown is not an echo chamber for radical leftist or even liberal ideology. I imagine he'll catch plenty of grief for this piece on campus. That said, I'm not a fan of the article. If I hear any relevant gossip, I'll mention it here.

crb
11-30-2014, 04:24 PM
This guy deserved to get mugged, and deserves to get mugged again, and a third time, and once more with a sexual assault thrown in for good measure then we'll see if his perspective has changed any.

Fixed, you were too light on him.

Wrathbringer
11-30-2014, 04:35 PM
This guy deserved to get mugged, and deserves to get mugged again, and a third time, and once more with a sexual assault by Methais and TGO thrown in for good measure then we'll see if his perspective has changed any.

Fixed, you were too light on him.

Actually, so were you. This is better.

Tgo01
11-30-2014, 04:51 PM
Like I'd sexually assault that pansy.

Silvean
12-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Here's the inside information as I heard it. The guy was really mugged. The article was unplanned. He was tapped to write something at the last minute when someone else backed out of writing a piece. The author and the rest of the young people on the school paper were completely blindsided by the amount of attention the editorial generated.

Wrathbringer
12-11-2014, 01:17 PM
Here's the inside information as I heard it. The guy was really mugged. The article was unplanned. He was tapped to write something at the last minute when someone else backed out of writing a piece. The author and the rest of the young people on the school paper were completely blindsided by the amount of attention the editorial generated thanks to Methais.

Ftfy

Taernath
12-11-2014, 01:18 PM
How did the story about the kid who faked his mugging come out? Police catch him in a couple of lies and he finally admitted it?

Silvean
12-11-2014, 01:21 PM
How did the story about the kid who faked his mugging come out? Police catch him in a couple of lies and he finally admitted it?

If you mean the guy I went to college with, it never came out. He told me he faked the mugging while we were at an airport bar.