PDA

View Full Version : Real Life Halflings

Delirium
10-31-2004, 07:30 AM
Intresting story here i think. Click Me (http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=198867&page=1)

Not only did anthropologists find the skeletal remains of a hobbit-sized, 30-year-old adult female, in this fairy-tale-like discovery they also uncovered in the same limestone cave the remains of a Komodo dragon, stone tools and a dwarf elephant.

"We now have the remains of at least seven hobbit-sized individuals at the cave site, so the 18,000-year-old skeleton cannot be some kind of 'freak' that we just happened to stumble across first," said Bert Roberts, an anthropologist at the University of Wollongong in New South Wales, Australia, and co-author of the study about the find in this week's issue of the journal "Nature."

Thats pretty neat

So did the two human species meet and interact? For now a lack of evidence means we can only wonder — and settle for the fictional tales of J.R.R. Tolkien.

Fiction? Damn, i was hoping spell books and proof of elves next. So whats everyone think? New species or are these just diseased humans or just humans that evolved(devolved?) to their surroundings?

Dhuul
10-31-2004, 01:08 PM
i've got the halfling gene i have hair on my feet FOR REAL

HarmNone
10-31-2004, 01:26 PM
I read this article, too, and found it very interesting. Even more interesting will be the continuing investigation, and what is learned about these people from it. :)

Caiylania
10-31-2004, 03:27 PM
That is pretty interesting. Especially if they prove it's not just some weird short outcasts or something.

Leprechauns!!!