PDA

View Full Version : New York - Advice for a vacation

bremerial
11-03-2014, 03:16 PM
I've booked a vacation to New York next year August. I've been three times - one pre 9/11 and twice after. Each time has been following the tourist routes - guided tours etc.

I'm taking my nephew and Niece for their 21st Birthday but just for a week. We are staying in a hotel in Midtown Manhatten.

Any advice about things to see beyond the obvious - Staten Island Ferry, Statue of Liberty, Central Park, Rockerfeller Centre, Battery Park, Harlem, China Town, SoHo, Fifth Avenue, Maceys...

Want to do a helicopter ride around NY and the obligatory carriage ride around central park. Beyond that, I'm stuck for ideas that don't involve getting on a hop on/hop off bus or going to the Theatre - both of which the kids will hate.

Oh - ive never been to a US sporting event so any ideas about those would be great too! Basketball, baseball, football (or any others I can see at that time of the year) - no idea when your seasons run from and to for each sport though.

Its 9 months time but I want to plan for it all now so anything you can suggest would be appreciated.

(OMG: Playing GS in real time EST in the evenings... perhaps not the best way to spend a vacation though... hehe)

diethx
11-03-2014, 04:09 PM
You can always see what's playing at the Garden during your vacation and get tickets.

And of course, museums. I'd plan at least a full day for the Met.

Edit: sorry, Madison Square Garden. It hosts concerts and sporting events.

bremerial
11-04-2014, 01:00 AM
Not sure about museums... But never been to Madison square gardens before. Sounds like a good idea right there!

Allereli
11-04-2014, 01:25 AM
ugh, don't do a carriage ride. those horses are miserable and completely out of place in the city, and they fart on you.

when in August are you going? If late, you should go the U.S. Open tennis tournament in Queens. http://usta.usopen.org/US-Open/ticket_plans/

Baseball: Mets (also Queens, Citi Field) and/or Yankees (Bronx, Yankee Stadium) will be in town. Citi Field is likely the cheaper option, but I never checked out Mets tickets.

Do you still run? The bike/run path is amazing that goes around the southern tip. See also http://www.forbes.com/sites/fathom/2013/11/06/the-6-best-running-routes-in-new-york-city/ and http://www.thehighline.org/

Truffle oil pizza in Greenwich Village http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=truffle+pizza&find_loc=New+York%2C+NY#l=p:NY:New_York:Manhattan:[East_Village,Greenwich_Village,West_Village], also just shopping there.

The Met (http://metmuseum.org) (best museum in the world), Natural History (http://www.amnh.org/)/Hayden Planetarium (see the whale)

Best meal I've ever had in NYC at Gramercy Tavern in the dining room (although I've never attempted to eat at a place like Per Se). It's expensive. http://www.gramercytavern.com/

Silvean
11-04-2014, 02:00 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cloisters

rolfard
11-04-2014, 08:18 AM
OMG, we'll be on the island IG (Teras) and in RL! Should our paths cross we should probably have a drink or a snack one of these days. I happen to live by a place called the Craftsman Alehouse (www.the-craftsman-ale-house.com/) which you can get to by taking a train out of metronorth (http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/planning/schedules/) that drops you off at my house.

Also, as a semi-member of the AMNH (http://www.amnh.org/)(american museum of natural history) bordering Central Park I have to suggest that. Its a 3-4 day journey but if you pick a floor or an exhibit and stick to it you can get a lot done. I personally love the Haden Plane-arium.

Also, check for daily shows at BBkings (http://www.bbkingblues.com/) on 42 street. It's cozy and you can get your beer by the bucket while you have your choice of two shows nightly. That and check to see who's at the Beacon Theater (http://www.beacontheatre.com/). Also, I hope you're not just sticking to NYC because that's less than 10 percent of what NY state has to offer!

AnticorRifling
11-04-2014, 08:27 AM
You should plan on being catcalled.

Kithus
11-04-2014, 09:18 AM
You should plan on being catcalled.

To be fair I'd guess the 21 year old niece will be getting cat called more. Unless her brother is with her and everyone assumes she's his.

Latrinsorm
11-04-2014, 03:25 PM
You can also see the Red Bulls playing this weird sport called "soccer". It's a little niche right now, but I think it's got a bright future. Half an hour from NYC by train, plus the 2015 season is scheduled to bring another New York club imaginatively named New York FC that will play in Yankee Stadium.

The NBA will unfortunately not be in season, and even preseason games don't start until October. Baseball and soccer are your best bets.

bremerial
11-07-2014, 09:02 AM
Is Coney Island worth visiting?

poloneus
11-07-2014, 05:18 PM
Is Coney Island worth visiting?

Yep, definitely is. Take the D right out of midtown. Last stop. Enjoy the subway station smell at that time of summer.

poloneus
11-07-2014, 05:35 PM
As others have said, definitely the Met. Skip the horses and buy some acid on the periphery of the Great Lawn in Central Park. Then pretend to be a horse or visit Strawberry Fields. No really, a couple hours in the Park visiting those two places. Boat rides around Manhattan are nice that time of year, but a little pricey. If you're into music, check the whereabouts of Too Many Zooz when in town. Not sure how much time they're spending performing in the subways these days, but its a very cool sound. Hit either Katz or Carnegie Deli for NY pastrami. Haven't done this in a bunch of years - but a walking tour of Grand St. is interesting, and you can end it in Little Italy. Start on the east side near the bridges to Brooklyn and head east. Amazing example of neighborhood segregation and you can get a taste of several neighborhoods - Hasidic, Hispanic, Korean, Chinese, Italian (sorta). 20 minute walk and you can see a neighborhood change dramatically in the span of a single block. Taste foods in any shop along the way.

A last word of advice - do not waste time eating at chains in NYC. Things like Subway, McDonalds, Pizza Hut or any other ridiculous places that somehow remain in business. When strapped for time or not sure of where to eat, pick any independent pizza or bagel shop. If they're not good they don't last so you'll always hit a good one.

poloneus
11-07-2014, 05:39 PM
check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMe6Y8GDVEI

Allereli
11-07-2014, 05:42 PM
A last word of advice - do not waste time eating at chains in NYC. Things like Subway, McDonalds, Pizza Hut or any other ridiculous places that somehow remain in business. When strapped for time or not sure of where to eat, pick any independent pizza or bagel shop. If they're not good they don't last so you'll always hit a good one.

This. my sister and I about died last weekend when we learned her husband and his parents went to TGI Fridays in the financial district.

bremerial
11-08-2014, 07:42 AM
Thanks guys.
Keep the idea coming.

...and in all seriousness if any of you want to meet up for a cursory drink, and a selfie or two, then that will be cool too!

Gelston
11-08-2014, 08:28 AM
Go to Louisiana instead. Better food, less traffic, no assholes.

Advice complete.

diethx
11-08-2014, 09:00 AM

Advice complete.

lol, better food. Also, they have at least one asshole that we know of.

The traffic is definitely better because who wants to live out in that swampy hellhole? :)

Gelston
11-08-2014, 09:02 AM
lol, better food. Also, they have at least one asshole that we know of.

The traffic is definitely better because who wants to live out in that swampy hellhole? :)

there is obviously one massive bitch in Georgia based on that response.

Wrathbringer
11-08-2014, 09:03 AM

:lol:

Warriorbird
11-08-2014, 09:31 AM

Advice complete.

It's a pity I never really spent time in your part of the state. The food was equally good in New Orleans and Baton Rouge, but there was a ridiculous amount of traffic (I spent like 45 minutes travelling 2 miles if I drove as opposed to walk through the sauna outside), people passed on the sidewalk, and any of my non Louisiana native friends had a very difficult time getting hired once they graduated.

Silvean
11-08-2014, 11:59 AM
Apparently, New York is also home to the Conjuring Arts Research Library:

http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-11-05/heres-library-anyone-interested-deception-and-card-tricks

I lived in New Orleans for three years; wouldn't trade that experience for anything. You could drive into a nearly empty French Quarter on desperately hot summer evenings and park right in front of the bar for a cold beer. More than anywhere else I lived, I had the distinct impression that the tourist experience was radically different from the joy of living there.

Back
11-08-2014, 12:14 PM
As others have said, definitely the Met. Skip the horses and buy some acid on the periphery of the Great Lawn in Central Park. Then pretend to be a horse or visit Strawberry Fields. No really, a couple hours in the Park visiting those two places. Boat rides around Manhattan are nice that time of year, but a little pricey. If you're into music, check the whereabouts of Too Many Zooz when in town. Not sure how much time they're spending performing in the subways these days, but its a very cool sound. Hit either Katz or Carnegie Deli for NY pastrami. Haven't done this in a bunch of years - but a walking tour of Grand St. is interesting, and you can end it in Little Italy. Start on the east side near the bridges to Brooklyn and head east. Amazing example of neighborhood segregation and you can get a taste of several neighborhoods - Hasidic, Hispanic, Korean, Chinese, Italian (sorta). 20 minute walk and you can see a neighborhood change dramatically in the span of a single block. Taste foods in any shop along the way.

I'd say this is sound advice. Also, as touristy as it sounds, Times Square is a wonder to behold after sunset.

NY Public Library is also a good stop on a culture tour if you are into that sort of thing. They have just about every book you can think of. I went just to read the Clavicula Solomnis. The building itself is a marvel, the way they catalog and distribute books is interesting, and they usually have some kind of show related to literature, print making, or typography.

diethx
11-08-2014, 01:12 PM

Not really. I just love how you're constantly unnecessarily snarky and obnoxious in most things you post, but then you get sand in your vagina when someone does it back to you.

You really are super sensitive deep down, Gelly.

Kembal
11-08-2014, 01:19 PM
Don't think I've seen this suggested yet, though definitely touristy: Empire State Building Observation Deck. The views are fantastic. If you don't want to waste too much time in line, buy the express passes.

Gelston
11-08-2014, 01:25 PM
Not really. I just love how you're constantly unnecessarily snarky and obnoxious in most things you post, but then you get sand in your vagina when someone does it back to you.

You really are super sensitive deep down, Gelly.

Are you mad that I called you a bitch for being a bitch so you are saying I have sand in my non-existent vagina and am sensitive?

Cry baby.

Allereli
11-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Don't think I've seen this suggested yet, though definitely touristy: Empire State Building Observation Deck. The views are fantastic. If you don't want to waste too much time in line, buy the express passes.

a substitute for this is Top of the Rock (http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/), although there is something special about the Empire State Building

Tarakan
11-08-2014, 01:38 PM
In August, the cooler crowds migrate into the Hamptons. You could do a day trip there via Long Island RR if you want to hit the beaches or golf in Shinnecock. Circle Line ferry tour is a probably better than a helicopter ride. If you are staying in the city, make sure you have NY style pizza with meat balls and have a few beers at McSorley's Pub. There are a lot of famous colleges and universities in the city too where you can purchase less obvious tee-shirt if you like that sort of thing. Southstreet Seaport is worthwhile if you want to see a true fisherman's market and get close to the Brooklyn Bridge. If you do Coney Island, make sure you visit Nathans for the famous hot dog. The aquarium is ok too. Finally, if you smoke or drink and are hoping to buy in NYC cheaper than abroad, get that thought out of your head now. NYC provides a good opportunity to acquire electronics very cheaply, but not booze and cigs.

bremerial
11-08-2014, 03:04 PM
You guys are getting me really really excited about this trip!!

..and yes, definitely plan to do Empire State and see the Statue of Liberty. I would have to hang my head in shame if I went to NYC and didn't even see those.

Incidentally I met a New Yorker in London a few years back who told me he'd never been to either of those two places. I blinked at him incredulously. But then I realised there were a host of places I'd not been to in London, even though they were on my own doorstep. I guess we always take for granted the things around us and/or assume we will have plenty of time to see them.

bremerial
11-08-2014, 03:07 PM
Oh, how do you get around on the subway in NYC? Tokens? tickets? Cash?
May sound like a silly question but every city is different...London, Paris, Berlin...all different. All with their own quirky systems..

Gelston
11-08-2014, 03:07 PM
You guys are getting me really really excited about this trip!!

..and yes, definitely plan to do Empire State and see the Statue of Liberty. I would have to hang my head in shame if I went to NYC and didn't even see those.

Incidentally I met a New Yorker in London a few years back who told me he'd never been to either of those two places. I blinked at him incredulously. But then I realised there were a host of places I'd not been to in London, even though they were on my own doorstep. I guess we always take for granted the things around us and/or assume we will have plenty of time to see them.

He may also not have been from NYC, but from elsewhere in the state.

Latrinsorm
11-08-2014, 03:11 PM
there is obviously one massive bitch in Georgia based on that response.no T all shade
May sound like a silly question but every city is different...London, Paris, Berlin...all different. All with their own quirky systems..Swipe cards. You can get basic paper ones or a more expensive heavy duty plastic one to last all day, which is great unless you happen to get a dud like I always do.

neimanz1
11-08-2014, 03:20 PM
May sound like a silly question but every city is different...London, Paris, Berlin...all different. All with their own quirky systems..

For a mere undead bane claidhmore I could be your tour guide

Allereli
11-08-2014, 03:28 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/31/us/gallery/new-york-city-aerials/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

bremerial
11-08-2014, 03:29 PM
For a mere undead bane claidhmore I could be your tour guide

hehe. This gave me a belly laugh!

Swipe cards. You can get basic paper ones or a more expensive heavy duty plastic one to last all day, which is great unless you happen to get a dud like I always do.

Perfect - thanks

He may also not have been from NYC, but from elsewhere in the state.

True. I always forget the NY/NY thing.

bremerial
11-08-2014, 03:34 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/31/us/gallery/new-york-city-aerials/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Great link. The one of the workers sitting on the steel frame is a classic. Seen it before and it still makes me feel queasy!

Androidpk
11-08-2014, 03:44 PM
Great link. The one of the workers sitting on the steel frame is a classic. Seen it before and it still makes me feel queasy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLDYtH1RH-U

diethx
11-08-2014, 07:11 PM

Yup. I'm from NY and I've never been to either of those...

bremerial
11-09-2014, 01:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLDYtH1RH-U

Didn't get the same feeling with this. I know the two me. Are climbing high but you never really get a sense of perspective with the camera attached to the heads. I guess it's all about camera angles. But why in the heck they'd want to do that is beyond me..

EasternBrand
11-09-2014, 06:25 PM
Coney Island is worth it on a nice day, but keep in mind that taking the subway out there will take about an hour and change from midtown, so plan accordingly. There is no other reasonable way to get there.

Carnegie Deli was suggested, but in my opinion it's a tourist trap and the block it's on smells like sewage for some reason. Go to Katz's in the Lower East instead, get the pastrami, and make sure you hold on to the ticket they give you when you walk in. The LES also has great bar options and I hear the Tenement Museum is actually worth visiting, but cannot vouch for it myself.

Also, while eating at a national chain is not recommended, do be aware that central midtown (roughly Madison to 7th/Broadway, from 34th to 59th) has a high concentration of generic and frankly terrible places where you'll see pre-made sandwiches sitting behind a glass counter. These are made in factories in Long Island City and should be strenuously avoided. Most of these places offer fresh salads, though, so at least there's that. But vacation is no time to eat your leafy greens, so if you're staying on the west side looking for a good meal close by the hotel, check out 8th or 9th Avenues between about 44th and 57th streets, there are tons of great options there. Midtown east is a bit more limited and filled with terrible places that just won't go away, like Pig n' Whistle, the Joshua Tree, and the United Nations, but there's still hidden gems once you get far enough east.

I second the nomination of Gramercy Tavern, but you will need to make a reservation at least several weeks in advance for a reasonable hours most nights. If you're a serious foodie and can afford the cash, sure, go for Per Se I guess, but there are dozens upon dozens of incredible fine dining experiences that cost less than $300 a person before drinks, tax and tip. Best advice if you're looking for the best fine dining the city has to offer - go to OpenTable.com, sort by rating and ignore any of the places with like 4 reviews.