PDA

View Full Version : Epic Role-Playing

09-03-2003, 07:08 PM
How many of you wish there was more epic RP in GemStone?

I'm not talking about GM run stuff, I'm talking about among other players.

It seems like character to character interaction these days is limited to either mundane conversations or conflict. In some cases, GM run events inspire a great deal of character to character interaction, but why does it have to be that way?

I for one would really love it if more players would come up with interesting (and believable) plots involving their characters. Like, what if one day, a group was standing around talking and a fellow popped in and snatched one of them and kidnapped her, whisked her away somewhere. And the others were completely in the dark, though the kidnapper and his target were completely aware and in communication about what was going on.

This is just an overly cliche example.

Mainly what I want is for players to take things into their own hands. Make adventure an every day thing, as it should be in a fantasy world. I log in and I'm bored. I can either hunt or talk to people. That's no fun. I wanna be a hero or a villian or something. I want to go on adventures and save people or be an evil bad guy who steals the damsel and gets killed in the end. Whatever. I'd just love to see more REAL Role-Play.

Who agrees?

Discuss.

[Edited by Accident]

[Edited on 9-3-2003 by Demon Lord Kage]

Weedmage Princess
09-03-2003, 07:11 PM
I agree. You'll be hard pressed to see it happen anytime soon, though.

Warriorbird
09-03-2003, 08:06 PM
I think a lot of people are scared stiff of that sort of thing. I try to experience it as much as I can. I think of Gemstone as like a LARP. All the GMs and the "uber rpers" are locked in a meeting. Do you want to be one of the players that sits in the corner waiting for something to happen and the GMs to spoonfeed them plot, or do you want to have fun and DO something?

Warriorbird
09-03-2003, 08:08 PM
It doesn't even have to be "EPIC". Rinika, for example, is a master of small character to character RP.

Betheny
09-03-2003, 08:09 PM
There is a LOT of good RP, player-run, surrounding the Griffin Sword Saga, and the characters involved in it at one time or another.

09-03-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Maimara
There is a LOT of good RP, player-run, surrounding the Griffin Sword Saga, and the characters involved in it at one time or another.

The problem with that is, it's only one plot.

Klaive, for example, wouldn't much care if he found a shard or something. He'd probably feed it to his goat or try to forge it into a troll claw.

It's just not a big deal to him.

If more players did things, there'd be more options for everyone to get involved in.

HarmNone
09-03-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Demon Lord Kage
I wanna be a hero or a villian or something. I want to go on adventures and save people or be an evil bad guy who steals the damsel and gets killed in the end.

That is part of the reason why player-generated roleplay events are rare. Everybody wants to be the hero, or the big bad guy, and nobody wants to take a supporting role. Events are out there. Problem is, not everybody can be the main character and, for too many people, the only epic roleplay that is worth anything is epic roleplay in which they are the main event.

HarmNone

Betheny
09-03-2003, 08:33 PM
There are many plots to the GSS. Not just the big one.

There's the infighting among the 'bad guys' (I only know the 'bad guy' stories, because Maimara is one of them.)

There's the whole wraith thing.

There's a lot of personal development for many of the involved characters.

There's spying, lying, cheating, forbidden love.. you name it, it's there. And 90% of it is player-run.

09-03-2003, 08:43 PM
There are many plots to the GSS. Not just the big one.

There's the infighting among the 'bad guys' (I only know the 'bad guy' stories, because Maimara is one of them.)

There's the whole wraith thing.

There's a lot of personal development for many of the involved characters.

There's spying, lying, cheating, forbidden love.. you name it, it's there. And 90% of it is player-run.

I can't RP if adultery or cheating is involved, it upsets me too much OOC. :(

Betheny
09-03-2003, 09:43 PM
WTF are you talking about?

09-03-2003, 11:05 PM
WTF are you talking about?

Cheating and Forbidden love?

Betheny
09-04-2003, 03:14 AM
Okay, cheating would be like doublecrossing and spying, you numbnuts. Not everything has to do with your retarded little morals.

09-04-2003, 01:15 PM
Okay, cheating would be like doublecrossing and spying, you numbnuts. Not everything has to do with your retarded little morals.

I haven't insulted you lately, insulting me is not called for.