PDA

View Full Version : First Case of Ebola Diagnosed in the US

Pages : [1] 2

Fallen
09-30-2014, 11:22 PM
A man who took a commercial flight from Liberia that landed in Dallas on Sept. 20 has been found to have the Ebola virus, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported on Tuesday. He is the first traveler to have brought the virus to the United States on a passenger plane and the first in whom Ebola has been diagnosed outside of Africa in the current outbreak.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/10/01/health/airline-passenger-with-ebola-is-under-treatment-in-dallas.html?_r=0&referrer=

Fallen
09-30-2014, 11:24 PM
I honestly didn't think it would reach CONUS this soon. This isn't Africa, but it is possible the family members and possibly the healthcare workers who encountered him may test positive. It will stop there.

Back
09-30-2014, 11:29 PM
Small world.

Haldrik
10-01-2014, 12:41 AM
This is awfully hard to snuff out for something that can only be contracted by "fluids."

Back
10-01-2014, 12:55 AM
Who can say a virus has more rights than a host?

Tenlaar
10-01-2014, 01:11 AM

http://troll.me/images/pissed-off-obama/hey-you-shut-the-fuck-up.jpg

Back
10-01-2014, 01:24 AM
Is it ok for me to respond?

Dude, if we are going to get off this planet we need to organize.

Androidpk
10-01-2014, 01:35 AM

It's time to go, grab your blanket.

JackWhisper
10-01-2014, 01:39 AM
Hi guys. This talk is about the first case of Ebola in the US.

WE NEED TO ORGANIZE TO COLONIZE OTHER PLANETS, SON!

Schwat? Schfiftyfive.

Warriorbird
10-01-2014, 01:45 AM
Hi guys. This talk is about the first case of Ebola in the US.

WE NEED TO ORGANIZE TO COLONIZE OTHER PLANETS, SON!

Schwat? Schfiftyfive.

Too much petty divisiveness. China or India will beat us to it.

Androidpk
10-01-2014, 01:46 AM
India got to mars with under $100 million.

Androidpk
10-01-2014, 02:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9IfHDi-2EA

Tisket
10-01-2014, 02:11 AM
Time to buy rubber gloves, face masks, and bleach.

Androidpk
10-01-2014, 02:19 AM
Time to buy rubber gloves, face masks, and bleach.

Time to run to Alaska.

JackWhisper
10-01-2014, 02:22 AM
Dude, my best friend lived in Alaska. Fuck that. I'd rather die.

A family-owned company owns all the internet up there and steadfastly refuses Comcast's advances. The entire state has to go by shitty size packages, or go satellite in one of THE most overhead-storm ridden locations in the world.

Rather die!

Androidpk
10-01-2014, 02:28 AM
I'd rather head south into latin america.

Gelston
10-01-2014, 02:30 AM
India got to mars with under $100 million.

Compared to our orbiter, which launched after and arrived first... The India one is fairly primitive. Ours expected to last double the time, do more stuff, and blah blah blah.

Also, customer support is handled by Americans instead of Indians.

Androidpk
10-01-2014, 02:33 AM
>Also, customer support is handled by Americans instead of Indians.

:lol:

JackWhisper
10-01-2014, 02:38 AM
Also, customer support is handled by Americans instead of Indians.

This one single, solitary line would make any business succeed in America. Seriously. Fortune 50.

JackWhisper
10-01-2014, 02:39 AM
Called my insurance the other day for my son's next appointment, talked to a guy so thick with an Indian accent, you'd swear he heard elephants outside.

HULLO, MY FRIEND! MY NAME IS MIKE! HOW MAY I BE HELPING YOU TODAY, FRIEND?!

Mike? Really?

Get the fuck out of here with that bullshit.

Androidpk
10-01-2014, 02:56 AM
Called my insurance the other day for my son's next appointment, talked to a guy so thick with an Indian accent, you'd swear he heard elephants outside.

HULLO, MY FRIEND! MY NAME IS MIKE! HOW MAY I BE HELPING YOU TODAY, FRIEND?!

Mike? Really?

Get the fuck out of here with that bullshit.

Jake from State Farm!

JackWhisper
10-01-2014, 02:59 AM
SHE SOUNDS HIDEOUS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47cAxRX3aDg

Gelston
10-01-2014, 03:00 AM
All the Rwandans that they had guarding random places on the FOB in Iraq were named shit like Christopher or Donald. Have you ever met a black man named Donald before?

Androidpk
10-01-2014, 03:14 AM
All the Rwandans that they had guarding random places on the FOB in Iraq were named shit like Christopher or Donald. Have you ever met a black man named Donald before?

Donald Cheadle, son. Who incidentally played a Rwandan hotel manager in Hotel Rwanda.

JackWhisper
10-01-2014, 03:24 AM
Man. SHADDUP! Captain Planet only has one name.

Captain.

Androidpk
10-01-2014, 03:30 AM
Wut?

Gelston
10-01-2014, 03:43 AM
Donald Cheadle, son. Who incidentally played a Rwandan hotel manager in Hotel Rwanda.

He goes by Don though, he even realizes the full name Donald is fucking ridiculous. These guys went by Donald.

JackWhisper
10-01-2014, 03:46 AM
Seriously?

C'MON SON.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyIudPrQIjY

JackWhisper
10-01-2014, 03:46 AM
It's CAPTAIN PLANET!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwJaELXadKo

Jace Solo
10-01-2014, 03:48 AM
SHE SOUNDS HIDEOUS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47cAxRX3aDg

Why can't she be a guy? Why does he/she have to be white? Why is the "token Asian" in the background? So much wrong with this! SEXISM! RACISM! RACISM AGAIN! When will we learn! Ebola strikes ALL! Except Will Smith! He is immune to viruses. He is the zombie's "token black guy". Anyone else notice that ONLY Walking Dead has had a black zombies... that's odd... and I'm drunk. The red rep will flow like my girl tonight... or is it Jake from State Farm??!

JackWhisper
10-01-2014, 03:49 AM
Go drunk, Jace. You're home.

Androidpk
10-01-2014, 03:50 AM
:lol2:

Androidpk
10-01-2014, 03:51 AM
28 days later has black zombies.

Androidpk
10-01-2014, 03:52 AM
Wow, Don Cheadle as CP is freakishly scary!

JackWhisper
10-01-2014, 03:56 AM
DC as CP is OP WTF ROFL.

Gelston
10-01-2014, 04:04 AM
You're all going to die down here.

Androidpk
10-01-2014, 04:07 AM
Can we float instead?

Gelston
10-01-2014, 04:12 AM
Can we float instead?

DID I GIVE OUT OPTIONS MOTHAFUCKA?

Androidpk
10-01-2014, 04:27 AM
Yes

Gelston
10-01-2014, 04:28 AM
Yes

NO BITCH.

Androidpk
10-01-2014, 04:36 AM
I'm in your base killing your orks

JackWhisper
10-01-2014, 04:43 AM
I'm in ur base spelunking ur wumenz.

Androidpk
10-01-2014, 04:49 AM
http://i.imgur.com/JI966Oe.jpg.

JackWhisper
10-01-2014, 04:56 AM
I'd post something about huge vaginas from Larry David, but I HATE that guy.

Androidpk
10-01-2014, 05:00 AM
Wouldn't it suck to have a dream about him and a bag of fingerling potaoes??

JackWhisper
10-01-2014, 05:06 AM
Only you have dreams about fingerling potaToes.

And giant foam fingers.

Parkbandit
10-01-2014, 08:12 AM

Someone PLEASE put his face on this moving gif...

http://media.tumblr.com/cafaa83dde98048c89771dfe851801d1/tumblr_inline_mvwxjmLsYb1qkbblf.gif

Latrinsorm
10-01-2014, 04:34 PM
Someone PLEASE put his face on this moving gif...You should really flip the gif, the shoulders aimed in the opposite direction will make it look really awkward. I get the silliness in advising you to put effort into your lazy discrediting of someone else that you are lazily outsourcing, but still. Aesthetics, dammit.

Gnome Rage
10-01-2014, 07:24 PM
Did anyone post about the fantastic ebola zombie conspiracy theory?

Gelston
10-01-2014, 07:27 PM
Did anyone post about the fantastic ebola zombie conspiracy theory?

Zombies are overdone and last year.

Archigeek
10-01-2014, 10:32 PM
28 days later has black zombies.

WWZ... black zombies.

Night of the Living Dead, oops, sorry!.

Dawn of the Living Dead, black zombies.

Jeril
10-03-2014, 01:54 AM
It's time to go, grab your blanket.

Should have said grab your towel, you towel!

Androidpk
10-03-2014, 01:59 AM
Should have said grab your towel, you towel!

Shit, you're right. Good catch!

waywardgs
10-03-2014, 02:13 AM
http://www.caribdirect.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Ebola-quiz.jpg

Fallen
10-03-2014, 08:05 AM
American NBC Camera man tests positive for Ebola (http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/10/02/nbc-says-cameraman-tested-positive-for-ebola-entire-crew-to-be-flown-home/)

He caught it in Liberia, though.

Androidpk
10-03-2014, 08:12 AM
Why travel from airports in that region hasn't been shut down is beyond me.

Fallen
10-03-2014, 08:48 AM
Why travel from airports in that region hasn't been shut down is beyond me.

I've argued with my co-workers about this issue. They claim it would be too hard to do because of connecting flights, would place increased economic pressure on the affected areas, limit getting aid workers into/out of the country, and be morally/ethically unjustified.

I don't buy any of it, but that is the arguments i'm hearing.

Androidpk
10-03-2014, 08:59 AM
I've argued with my co-workers about this issue. They claim it would be too hard to do because of connecting flights, would place increased economic pressure on the affected areas, limit getting aid workers into/out of the country, and be morally/ethically unjustified.

I don't buy any of it, but that is the arguments i'm hearing.

I don't buy that either.

Atlanteax
10-03-2014, 09:29 AM
and be morally/ethically unjustified.

Who gives a shit about that if it means preventing the spread of such disease(s) to the US?

Androidpk
10-03-2014, 09:34 AM
Who gives a shit about that if it means preventing the spread of such disease(s) to the US?

Not just the US, worldwide.

Jeril
10-03-2014, 10:31 AM
Not just the US, worldwide.

People will never like making the hard choices, even if they make sense.

Gelston
10-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Seems to me it is fine as is. A disease that has infected what? Thousands? One guy coming into the US has it, and he was caught quick. Out of how many flights and ships that came from there?

The Dallas County Health and Human Services director said Friday that the Ebola situation there is "under control."
"It is contained," Zachary Thompson told CNN's "New Day" on Friday. The Ebola patient's "family is being monitored. There is no outbreak. And so therefore everyone should ease their fears and allow public health officials ... to respond to this issue."

Much adieu for nothing. You people freak out about something that is (and could only ever be) a big deal in shitty African countries.

On top of that, the man may be prosecuted/charged by Liberia officials for lying on the Health Questionnaire. It isn't as if you just leave the infected country and hop on a plan or ship with no questions.

Androidpk
10-03-2014, 10:39 AM
People will never like making the hard choices, even if they make sense.

True. In this situation that sort of thinking could come back to haunt us. I've been saying since earlier this year that this is a dire situation that governments around the world need to address and they, the US included, have been slow to react. I don't even want to think about what would happen if this were to become airborn. It would be a clusterfuck. Not even the US is equipped to deal with a crisis of that magnitude.

Androidpk
10-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Seems to me it is fine as is. A disease that has infected what? Thousands? One guy coming into the US has it, and he was caught quick. Out of how many flights and ships that came from there?

Much adieu for nothing. You people freak out about something that is (and could only ever be) a big deal in shitty African countries.

On top of that, the man may be prosecuted/charged by Liberia officials for lying on the Health Questionnaire. It isn't as if you just leave the infected country and hop on a plan or ship with no questions.

No. First of all, he wasn't caught quickly. The first time he went to the hospital they turned him away. It wasn't until a friend checked on this guy and brought him back did they test him. Complete failure on the hospitals part. Secondly, all it takes is one person. He was on 3 flights I believe. CDC is saying upwards of 100 in direct contact. That number can grow exponentially if not handled properly.

You're naive to think that the biggest ebola outbreak in history is a non-issue. In the past there have been cases with hundreds dead and effected. Current models for this outbreak are ranging from 100,000 to upwards of a million.

Gelston
10-03-2014, 10:47 AM
No. First of all, he wasn't caught quickly. The first time he went to the hospital they turned him away. It wasn't until a friend checked on this guy and brought him back did they test him. Complete failure on the hospitals part. Secondly, all it takes is one person. He was on 3 flights I believe. CDC is saying upwards of 100 in direct contact. That number can grow exponentially if not handled properly.

You're naive to think that the biggest ebola outbreak in history is a non-issue. In the past there have been cases with hundreds dead and effected. Current models for this outbreak are ranging from 100,000 to upwards of a million.

I am not naive, you are constantly trying to over hype things and call it the end of the world.

Again, Ebola can only fuck up shitty African countries with no money and crappy health systems. You can say "what if" all you want and make the virus as scary as you want, but it is what it is. I mean, what if the HIV was airborne. ZOMG!!!!!

Androidpk
10-03-2014, 10:48 AM
I am not naive, you are constantly trying to over hype things and call it the end of the world.

What things have I overhyped?

Gelston
10-03-2014, 10:51 AM
What things have I overhyped?

Ebola's impact on the world, Syria, Hong Kong, Russia in the Ukraine, sure there is a lot more.

Methais
10-03-2014, 10:52 AM
Some retarded FB friend posted a Snopes article the other about two cases of people who died from Ebola resurrecting...Snopes had it marked as "Probably False" and her argument was THEY DIDN'T SAY IT WAS FALSE FOR SURE THEY JUST SAID PROBABLY FALSE!!!!!!!

She wasn't trolling either.

http://media.comicbook.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/the-walking-dead-daryl-facepalm-640x320.jpg

Androidpk
10-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Ebola's impact on the world, Syria, Hong Kong.

I haven't made a single exaggerated claim about any of those things. Each of them are big topics of importance. Excuse me for being aware of global events and their impacts around the world.

Gelston
10-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Actually, it makes me wonder. HIV is fairly prevalent in Africa, including the regions with the Ebola outbreak. I wonder how much that is effecting mortality rates.

I haven't made a single exaggerated claim about any of those things. Each of them are big topics of importance. Excuse me for being aware of global events and their impacts around the world.

Yes, because "World War Syria" isn't an exaggeration.

Androidpk
10-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Actually, it makes me wonder. HIV is fairly prevalent in Africa, including the regions with the Ebola outbreak. I wonder how much that is effecting mortality rates.

Yes, because "World War Syria" isn't an exaggeration.

Given the number of countries involved I disagree.

Gelston
10-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Given the number of countries involved I disagree.

Yes, I am sure it is comparable to World War 2.

You know, when it had more countries with entire industries devoted to Total War and single battles where a million men died.

Androidpk
10-03-2014, 10:59 AM
I never made that comparison.

Gelston
10-03-2014, 11:01 AM
I never made that comparison.

You called it a world war. That, in itself, is a comparison.

Androidpk
10-03-2014, 11:02 AM
You called it a world war. That, in itself, is a comparison.

You're trying too hard.

Gelston
10-03-2014, 11:04 AM
You're trying too hard.

You are the one that labelled it "World War Syria". Why else would you do that if you weren't trying to compare it? Are you dim? Didn't you not realize that World War 1 and World War 2 existed?

I see you being a burned out stoner one day standing on a street corner wearing a sign saying the end is near.

Androidpk
10-03-2014, 11:09 AM
You are the one that labelled it "World War Syria". Why else would you do that if you weren't trying to compare it? Are you dim? Didn't you not realize that World War 1 and World War 2 existed?

I see you being a burned out stoner one day standing on a street corner wearing a sign saying the end is near.

And you're dim if you think the term world war solely applies to those two wars.

Yes, the burned out stoner who hardly ever smokes. Guess by your standards it makes you a raging alcoholic!

Tgo01
10-03-2014, 11:11 AM
The thing about Ebola is it's really not that infectious; not compared to other viruses at least. It has an R0 rate (how many people each infected person will infect on average) of around 2, HIV on the other hand has an R0 rate of around 4 and measles is around 15.

True, 1 person infects 2 then those 2 infect 4 and yadda yadda. But the R0 rate assumes nothing is being done to stop the spread of the disease. With Ebola you just have to quarantine someone with Ebola and anyone who might have been exposed, wait for the infectious period to go away (which takes about a week), and voila! The R0 of Ebola drops to zero.

Look at HIV which has an R0 rate twice as high and most people in the world don't even know they have HIV, and even if people do know that person has HIV it's not like you can prevent that person from ever having sex again or quarantine them for the rest of their lives, and HIV hasn't managed to spread to infect every person in the world, much less every person of a single country.

Gelston
10-03-2014, 11:14 AM
And you're dim if you think the term world war solely applies to those two wars.

Yes, the burned out stoner who hardly ever smokes. Guess by your standards it makes you a raging alcoholic!

Okay then. World War Korea, World War Vietnam, World War Iraq, World War Afghanistan, World War Iraq II, GEE THIS IS FUN

The thing about Ebola is it's really not that infectious; not compared to other viruses at least. It has an R0 rate (how many people each infected person will infect on average) of around 2, HIV on the other hand has an R0 rate of around 4 and measles is around 15.

True, 1 person infects 2 then those 2 infect 4 and yadda yadda. But the R0 rate assumes nothing is being done to stop the spread of the disease. With Ebola you just have to quarantine someone with Ebola and anyone who might have been exposed, wait for the infectious period to go away (which takes about a week), and voila! The R0 of Ebola drops to zero.

Look at HIV which has an R0 rate twice as high and most people in the world don't even know they have HIV, and even if people do know that person has HIV it's not like you can prevent that person from ever having sex again or quarantine them for the rest of their lives, and HIV hasn't managed to spread to infect every person in the world, much less every person of a single country.

but what if it becomes airborne!!!!

Taernath
10-03-2014, 11:17 AM

No man, this is definitely the fall of civilization. Get hyped and start tricking out your car Mad Max style.

Gelston
10-03-2014, 11:19 AM
No man, this is definitely the fall of civilization. Get hyped and start tricking out your car Mad Max style.

I've already resorted to cannibalism and building a wall around my city.

Tgo01
10-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Get hyped and start tricking out your car Mad Max style.

Wayyyyy ahead of you.

http://beforeitsnews.com/mediadrop/uploads/2014/02/44e3007d15c46e3c1e077afcf9f29a26019fb26d.jpg

Gelston
10-03-2014, 11:25 AM
Wayyyyy ahead of you.

http://beforeitsnews.com/mediadrop/uploads/2014/02/44e3007d15c46e3c1e077afcf9f29a26019fb26d.jpg

If you actually had that... You'd be pretty average around here. We have a race track for racing similar cars not even 40 minutes away.

Tgo01
10-03-2014, 11:28 AM
If you actually had that... You'd be pretty average around here. We have a race track for racing similar cars not even 40 minutes away.

But my mom says I'm special :(

Gelston
10-03-2014, 11:31 AM

http://media.carddit.com/a/tPtYRwkDv.jpg

Androidpk
10-03-2014, 11:49 AM

She only says that so she can keep breastfeeding you.

Tgo01
10-03-2014, 11:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuPBbFOiygo&list=RDDuPBbFOiygo#t=41

Gelston
10-03-2014, 11:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuPBbFOiygo&list=RDDuPBbFOiygo#t=41

Keep your foreign British propaganda garbage to yourself. This is America.

Tgo01
10-03-2014, 11:59 AM
Keep your foreign British propaganda garbage to yourself. This is America.

This is World War Ebola!

Gelston
10-03-2014, 12:00 PM
This is World War Ebola!

World War Ebola... WWE... Wrestling...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_7DHf8RFiGkg/TCRgZQgwfeI/AAAAAAAAAh0/CAmgcnKPhGM/s1600/oh+my+god+holy+shit+cat+kucing.jpg

Tgo01
10-03-2014, 12:05 PM
The pieces of the puzzle are falling into place...

Latrinsorm
10-03-2014, 12:21 PM
People will never like making the hard choices, even if they make sense.If I may play word substitution with a post (http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?88708-quot-but-if-they-mean-to-have-a-war-let-it-begin-here-quot&p=1664979#post1664979) of yours regarding the Second Amendment...

So, why don't we fight against Ebola for real instead of trying to use a bandaid like closing airports? As it is, it is only an educated guess that closing them will even help but with today's communications network who is to say it will help for sure?

And we haven't fully explored the point that Thondalar brought up either, does Ebola save more lives then it ends? (ed. note: this one doesn't really work but you could shoehorn in an overpopulation idea)

There was also the point that criminals break the laws and that they'd cross borders anyway.

And another (http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?86959-The-28th-Amendment-Trayvon-s-Amendment&p=1611652#post1611652)...

The large majority of infected are rather responsible about their hygiene and interpersonal contact. If you can suggest reasonable laws most of these people wouldn't be up in arms about it. The problem they have against the airport shutdowns that other people want is that there is no real logic or reason behind them, just pure emotional overreaction and the overriding thought that the infected are evil.

Not bad, eh? :) It seems like "making the hard choice" is defined as making an unpopular choice that Jeril personally agrees with, no?

Gelston
10-03-2014, 12:23 PM
If I may play word substitution with a post (http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?88708-quot-but-if-they-mean-to-have-a-war-let-it-begin-here-quot&p=1664979#post1664979) of yours regarding the Second Amendment...

So, why don't we fight against Ebola for real instead of trying to use a bandaid like closing airports? As it is, it is only an educated guess that closing them will even help but with today's communications network who is to say it will help for sure?

And we haven't fully explored the point that Thondalar brought up either, does Ebola save more lives then it ends? (ed. note: this one doesn't really work but you could shoehorn in an overpopulation idea)

There was also the point that criminals break the laws and that they'd cross borders anyway.

And another (http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?86959-The-28th-Amendment-Trayvon-s-Amendment&p=1611652#post1611652)...

The large majority of infected are rather responsible about their hygiene and interpersonal contact. If you can suggest reasonable laws most of these people wouldn't be up in arms about it. The problem they have against the airport shutdowns that other people want is that there is no real logic or reason behind them, just pure emotional overreaction and the overriding thought that the infected are evil.

Not bad, eh? :) It seems like "making the hard choice" is defined as making an unpopular choice that Jeril personally agrees with, no?

Stop making threads suck with your idiotic reasoning.

Methais
10-03-2014, 12:30 PM
If I may play word substitution with a post (http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?88708-quot-but-if-they-mean-to-have-a-war-let-it-begin-here-quot&p=1664979#post1664979) of yours regarding the Second Amendment...

http://www.netanimations.net/blue-girls-fingers-on-mouse.gif

Tgo01
10-03-2014, 12:32 PM
the overriding thought that the infected are evil.

I think the man who brought Ebola to Texas is pretty darn evil. Maybe not on the conscious, mustache twirling, stealing candy from babies, type of evil, but on a subconscious "I don't give a fuck if I get anyone infected with a deadly disease so I'm going to lie on this here form" level.

Latrinsorm
10-03-2014, 12:35 PM
I think the man who brought Ebola to Texas is pretty darn evil. Maybe not on the conscious, mustache twirling, stealing candy from babies, type of evil, but on a subconscious "I don't give a fuck if I get anyone infected with a deadly disease so I'm going to lie on this here form" level.I would say that man is as representative of the infected as the Sandy Hook shooter is of gun owners. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gelston
10-03-2014, 12:35 PM
I would say that man is as representative of the infected as the Sandy Hook shooter is of gun owners. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He didn't say all infected were evil. He said that particular man is.

Methais
10-03-2014, 12:36 PM
The only way to get rid of Ebola is to ban guns.

Tgo01
10-03-2014, 12:38 PM
I would say that man is as representative of the infected as the Sandy Hook shooter is of gun owners. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Okay?

There are some evil gun owners, there are some evil Ebola patients. What are you saying, Latrin? Use your big boy words.

Astray
10-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Just burn down Dallas already.

Gelston
10-03-2014, 12:40 PM
The only way to get rid of Ebola is to ban guns.

But if we ban guns, then only outlaws will have ebola.

....wait a second.

Keller
10-03-2014, 12:47 PM
The only way to be sure we don't die from Ebola is to all have the 'bola.

Latrinsorm
10-03-2014, 01:21 PM
Okay?

There are some evil gun owners, there are some evil Ebola patients. What are you saying, Latrin? Use your big boy words.Shutting down an airport is an act against all infected. Banning guns is an act against all owners. One of these is a hard choice but sensible, the other is pure emotional overreaction. How?

Jeril doesn't care about black people.

Gelston
10-03-2014, 01:24 PM
Jeril doesn't care about black people.

Nobody does.

Some Rogue
10-03-2014, 03:14 PM
https://sparks31.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/ebola-ricola.jpg

Methais
10-03-2014, 05:02 PM
https://sparks31.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/ebola-ricola.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/1544321_840390405982542_4924914342976101346_n.jpg? oh=d538cfa5e821891c0d11171ee974e19f&oe=5485D0B4&__gda__=1421892981_f83559eba0516a3a06221f856f34f11 f

Jeril
10-03-2014, 09:57 PM

Even the data you sited says that banning guns would only be a band-aid on stopping suicides, so it isn't really a solution. And aren't you pro-choice?

Thondalar
10-03-2014, 10:49 PM
Shutting down an airport is an act against all infected. Banning guns is an act against all owners. One of these is a hard choice but sensible, the other is pure emotional overreaction. How?

Actually, those are both emotional overreaction.

Gelston
10-04-2014, 02:53 AM
Well, except that an infected person can spread a disease unknowingly and against their own will. A person with a gun kind of knows what they are doing with it.

Besides, guns are already banned for carry in airport by the general population. (Yeah, you can put them in checked baggage.)

Androidpk
10-04-2014, 03:21 AM
A person with a disease can spread their shit on purpose.

A person with a gun can kill someone accidentally.

Gelston
10-04-2014, 03:22 AM
A person with a disease can spread their shit on purpose.

A person with a gun can kill someone accidentally.

Of course they can. It takes a few more steps to accidentally kill someone with a gun as opposed to spreading a disease though. Just like a gun with no ammo is just a piece of metal.

Latrinsorm
10-04-2014, 03:12 PM
Even the data you sited says that banning guns would only be a band-aid on stopping suicides, so it isn't really a solution.The point of the comparison is that both alleged solutions have the same drawback, but you only care about it for one of them. Guns are the most effective tool for committing suicide, planes are the most effective tool for transporting people - removing either doesn't guarantee elimination of their respective problems, only a reduction.
And aren't you pro-choice?I'm neither pro-choice nor pro-life, but I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.
Actually, those are both emotional overreaction.That is at least an internally consistent assessment, though I disagree with it.

Tisket
10-04-2014, 06:20 PM
I've developed an observation, based on a super scientific process that involves rapid flipping of channels, that most of the alarmist coverage seems to be coming from MSNBC. This was also true of the Swine Flu outbreak a few years ago.

Liberals are such scaredy cats.

Androidpk
10-04-2014, 06:30 PM
Nah, it isn't just liberals. Check out drudge.

Warriorbird
10-04-2014, 06:34 PM
I've developed an observation, based on a super scientific process that involves rapid flipping of channels, that most of the alarmist coverage seems to be coming from MSNBC. This was also true of the Swine Flu outbreak a few years ago.

Extremists of any stripe are easier to stir up about this stuff.

Tisket
10-04-2014, 06:53 PM
My "research" findings beg to differ. The remote control does not lie.

Warriorbird
10-04-2014, 06:59 PM
My "research" findings beg to differ. The remote control does not lie.

It's just because you have better taste than Fox, talk radio, and Newsmax. Your classiness is your bias.

Androidpk
10-04-2014, 07:04 PM
If you want to see somereally absurd shit read some of the "articles" up on infowar. Apparently this is all a conspiracy by Obama to wipe out 90% of the world's population.

Tisket
10-04-2014, 07:16 PM
It's just because you have better taste than Fox, talk radio, and Newsmax. Your classiness is your bias.

I feel like I've been hugged by someone wrapped in steel wool again.

Warriorbird
10-04-2014, 07:28 PM
I feel like I've been hugged by someone wrapped in steel wool again.

Growing up in Virginia we had to learn to hug with every sort of fabric. I also do an excellent chain mail.

Gelston
10-05-2014, 11:50 AM

Fuck you, Swine Flu was a big fucking deal. I caught it and was quarantined on a ship in the middle of the Pacific.

Tisket
10-05-2014, 01:23 PM
lol

Candor
10-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Well, except that an infected person can spread a disease unknowingly and against their own will.

Early in the AIDs pandemic, before there was a blood test to detect the virus, it was known that AIDS was passed by blood.

A few homosexuals in San Francisco, who had AIDS and were angry at society, decided to give as much blood as possible before they died. This was in revenge for some of society's view of homosexuals, the reaction to AIDS by many people, and an attempt to spread the disease faster to "force the government to find a cure".

Methais
10-05-2014, 01:36 PM
Early in the AIDs pandemic, before there was a blood test to detect the virus, it was known that AIDS was passed by blood.

A few homosexuals in San Francisco, who had AIDS and were angry at society, decided to give as much blood as possible before they died. This was in revenge for some of society's view of homosexuals, the reaction to AIDS by many people, and an attempt to spread the disease faster to "force the government to find a cure".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laFCqCCEGTc

Tisket
10-05-2014, 02:47 PM

So what you are saying is that there are examples of bad people from all walks of life, right?

P.S. Stop being stupid.

Candor
10-05-2014, 03:20 PM
P.S. Stop being stupid.

Nope, I'm good at it :)

Tisket
10-05-2014, 04:30 PM
Nope, I'm good at it :)

Except you don't really believe you are stupid.

You are mistaken.

Androidpk
10-05-2014, 04:37 PM
There are those that know they are stupid and there are those who don't know they are stupid. But there are also those who don't know that they don't know they are stupid, because they are too stupid to know that.

Candor
10-05-2014, 04:45 PM
Except you don't really believe you are stupid.

You are mistaken.

Let's just say one of us doesn't know how stupid he/she is and leave it at that...

Astray
10-05-2014, 04:47 PM
Arguing with Candor is like seeing a shit filled boot, putting it on, and then getting upset that your foot smells like shit.

Tisket
10-05-2014, 04:51 PM
Pope John Paul II once said, "Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it."

He must have met Candor.

Androidpk
10-05-2014, 04:59 PM
WB knows what Tisket did last summer.

Tisket
10-05-2014, 05:00 PM
I don't even know what I did last summer.

I claim early onset Alzheimer's.

Candor
10-05-2014, 05:02 PM
Pope John Paul II once said, "Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it."

He must have met Candor.

Pope John Paul II also said, "Know what you are talking about".

He must have met Tisket.

Tisket
10-05-2014, 05:13 PM
New rep:

Thread: First Case of Ebola Diagnosed in the US (http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?92548-First-Case-of-Ebola-Diagnosed-in-the-US&p=1704417#post1704417)
You are actively engaging a cock sneeze.

If I didn't talk to stupid people I'd only have myself to talk to.

No offense, everyone (else).

Tisket
10-05-2014, 05:15 PM
Pope John Paul II also said, "Know what you are talking about".

He must have met Tisket.

Oh dear. Mimicking your betters doesn't help your cause.

Atlanteax
10-06-2014, 03:05 PM
A Spanish nurse became infected with Ebola after treating a patient, marking the first time the virus has been contracted outside of Africa, EFE News reported Oct 6.

Is it yet time to stockpile food and ammo?

Gelston
10-06-2014, 03:10 PM

It has been contracted outside of Africa before.... In Russia, England, the Philippines, and in the US. In labs, but again, she was treating an Ebola infected patient in Spain.

The strains in England, Philippines, and US were different from the current outbreak, but the one is Russia was the same.

Wrathbringer
10-06-2014, 04:15 PM

If you haven't yet, you're already too late.

Gelston
10-06-2014, 04:17 PM
If you haven't yet, you're already too late.

Sam's Club is plenty full of food.

Wrathbringer
10-06-2014, 04:20 PM
Sam's Club is plenty full of food.

Too late I said!

Latrinsorm
10-06-2014, 04:23 PM
Sam's Club is plenty full of ebola.ftfy

Tgo01
10-06-2014, 04:23 PM
No point in stocking up on food, just ammo. My neighbors all have plenty of food stocked up.

Taernath
10-06-2014, 04:33 PM
No point in stocking up on food, just ammo. My neighbors all have plenty of food stocked up.

Exactly. Guns are the perfect bartering service.

Gelston
10-06-2014, 04:33 PM

There is always someone else out there that is a better shot. Maybe your neighbors.

Methais
10-06-2014, 05:14 PM
There is always someone else out there that is a better shot. Maybe your neighbors.

His neighbors are probably liberals, which means he'll be living off of tofu and granola bars.

Gelston
10-06-2014, 05:17 PM
His neighbors are probably liberals, which means he'll be living off of tofu and granola bars.

In that case, releasing yourself is the only solution.

Gnome Rage
10-06-2014, 05:19 PM
Tofu doesn't keep well for the end of the world.

Gelston
10-06-2014, 05:20 PM
Tofu doesn't keep well for the end of the world.

It doesn't keep well for the beginning of lunch or dinner either.

Jeril
10-06-2014, 05:39 PM
It doesn't keep well for the beginning of lunch or dinner either.

So, what you are saying is that you eat tofu for breakfast?

Gelston
10-06-2014, 05:50 PM
So, what you are saying is that you eat tofu for breakfast?

I don't eat breakfast.

Tgo01
10-06-2014, 06:18 PM
I started looking for healthier foods to eat a while back and of course tofu came up as one of the better foods for you so I gave it try...

No. I...I just can't. It's disgusting.

Veggie burgers on the other hand, surprisingly enough, aren't bad at all and they are just about as healthy as tofu.

Jeril
10-06-2014, 06:25 PM
I started looking for healthier foods to eat a while back and of course tofu came up as one of the better foods for you so I gave it try...

No. I...I just can't. It's disgusting.

Veggie burgers on the other hand, surprisingly enough, aren't bad at all and they are just about as healthy as tofu.

Tofu is only disgusting in that it has no real taste. I had it once myself who knows how long ago and never again. You won't catch me eating a veggie burger either but as long as I am not over eating it doesn't really matter what I eat.

Taernath
10-06-2014, 06:29 PM
Tofu cooked the right way is actually really good, even better is soy protein. There's a place near me called the Loving Hut. Totally hippy name and atmosphere but they make some killer soy protein dishes, you can't tell it's not meat.

Gelston
10-06-2014, 06:30 PM
Tofu cooked the right way is actually really good, even better is soy protein. There's a place near me called the Loving Hut. Totally hippy name and atmosphere but they make some killer soy protein dishes, you can't tell it's not meat.

I'll just eat real stuff.

Taernath
10-06-2014, 06:45 PM

You say that now but wait until ebola mutates and consumes all the meat on the planet.

Gelston
10-06-2014, 06:48 PM
You say that now but wait until ebola mutates and consumes all the meat on the planet.

Cannibalism.

Methais
10-06-2014, 07:08 PM

YOU EVIL HEARTLESS BARBARIAN!

Tenlaar
10-06-2014, 07:13 PM
The vegan chinese restaurant I used to go to in Richmond had some incredible tofu dishes. I used to get the tofu general tso's every week or two. Learning how to properly cook delicious tofu is on my to-do list.

Archigeek
10-07-2014, 02:49 PM
http://christwire.org/2014/08/obama-is-infecting-christians-with-ebola-to-destroy-jesus-and-start-a-new-age-of-liberal-darkness/

Wrathbringer
10-07-2014, 02:50 PM
http://christwire.org/2014/08/obama-is-infecting-christians-with-ebola-to-destroy-jesus-and-start-a-new-age-of-liberal-darkness/

I knew it!

Fallen
10-07-2014, 03:05 PM

This was awesome. Shared it with everyone at work.

Fallen
10-07-2014, 03:17 PM
Actually, Achigeek's story is out of date: http://christwire.org/2014/08/president-bush-cures-ebola-destroys-obamas-plan-to-destroy-jesus-and-create-a-new-age-of-liberal-darkness/

Androidpk
10-08-2014, 01:12 PM
He died this morning.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/08/health/ebola-us/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Methais
10-08-2014, 02:26 PM
http://i.imgur.com/sRr7dK9.png

Astray
10-09-2014, 04:17 PM
http://i.imgur.com/UrlMqMo.gif

Androidpk
10-12-2014, 06:25 AM
Case #2 confirmed.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/12/health/ebola/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

JackWhisper
10-12-2014, 06:27 AM
Maybe they won't fucking turn this person away this time.

Gelston
10-12-2014, 11:47 AM
Case #2 confirmed.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/12/health/ebola/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Not confirmed, suspected. Preliminaries are positive, but confirmatory tests are later today. Still doesn't look good for her.

Tgo01
10-12-2014, 11:55 AM
Okay now is the time to nuke Texas.

Astray
10-12-2014, 11:57 AM

Hey man, you nuke Texas and I'll die. Nobody wants that.

Gelston
10-12-2014, 12:05 PM

Just drink gasoline. It immunizes you to ebola.

Astray
10-12-2014, 12:09 PM
Just drink gasoline. It immunizes you to ebola.

Premium or unleaded?

Tgo01
Hey man, you nuke Texas and I'll die. Nobody wants that.

So how many nukes would it take to destroy Texas? Not that I'm advocating the destruction of Texas at this point...merely curious...

I bet Russia has the answer.

Gelston
Premium or unleaded?

All of it is unleaded!

Astray

So how many nukes would it take to destroy Texas? Not that I'm advocating the destruction of Texas at this point...merely curious...

HEY.

That's not nice, you dog face.

All of it is unleaded!

JESUS FUCK YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN

Gelston
10-12-2014, 12:10 PM

Don't mess with Texas.

Tgo01
10-12-2014, 12:13 PM
HEY.

That's not nice, you dog face.

It's a skin condition! :(

Androidpk
10-12-2014, 12:38 PM
Not confirmed, suspected. Preliminaries are positive, but confirmatory tests are later today. Still doesn't look good for her.

Don't ruin my hysterical narrative. Texas is fucked!

Gelston
10-12-2014, 12:43 PM
Eloy Mestrelle, the man who introduced machine-struck coinage to England, was executed for coin counterfeiting.

Tisket
10-12-2014, 01:50 PM
Eloy Mestrelle, the man who introduced machine-struck coinage to England, was executed for coin counterfeiting.

Well that was random.

Androidpk
10-12-2014, 05:22 PM
Boston-area clinic quarantined after patient displays Ebola signs.

http://news.yahoo.com/patient-isolated-massachusetts-clinic-displaying-ebola-symptoms-newspaper-200117720.html

Wrathbringer
10-12-2014, 05:23 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/patient-isolated-massachusetts-clinic-displaying-ebola-symptoms-newspaper-200117720.html

THX OBAMA

Atlanteax
10-13-2014, 10:49 AM

Why did they even include the # that died in Africa when determining whether it is "the worst on record of the disease" ?

# of American deaths is the determining factor.

Methais
10-13-2014, 11:14 AM
Don't people in Africa still die of things like diarrhea?

I'm gonna get shart repped on this post.

Keller
10-13-2014, 11:56 AM
People all over the world die of diarrhea.

Candor
10-13-2014, 12:18 PM
Why are US citizens traveling to Liberia (except for aid workers)? DUH!!

Why are we letting non-US citizens who have traveled to Liberia into the US?

Why are we not isolating all US citizens who are returning from Liberia until the incubation period for Ebola has passed? (If you don't like that, don't travel to Liberia...)

Methais
10-13-2014, 12:31 PM

I die a little bit every time I read Latrin's diarrhea. Does that count?

Keller
10-13-2014, 12:38 PM
I die a little bit every time I read Latrin's diarrhea. Does that count?

A little.

Wrathbringer
10-13-2014, 01:06 PM

For this reason, Mexican food should be banned.

Keller
10-13-2014, 01:10 PM
For this reason, Mexican food should be banned.

But what will stoners do without Taco Bell?

Methais
10-13-2014, 01:11 PM

http://www.pe.com/pictures/2013__09__Jack-in-the-Box-Late-Night-Menu-Munchie-Meal.jpg

Keller
10-13-2014, 01:14 PM
Is there a slice of Kraft American singles in those tacos?

Wrathbringer
10-13-2014, 01:14 PM

Stoners are annoying enough without blowing up whoever's bathroom they're currently living with.

Keller
10-13-2014, 01:16 PM
Stoners are annoying enough without blowing up whoever's bathroom they're currently living with.

Whatever, man

Methais
10-13-2014, 01:53 PM

https://warosu.org/data/tg/img/0311/01/1395959185259.jpg

Candor
10-13-2014, 02:07 PM
http://www.pe.com/pictures/2013__09__Jack-in-the-Box-Late-Night-Menu-Munchie-Meal.jpg

Sorry, Taco Bell food is better than the tacos in that place...

Methais
10-13-2014, 02:11 PM
Sorry, Taco Bell food is better than the tacos in that place...

But that burger is awesome as fuck.

And you get all that shit for $6. What more could a stoner ask for? I mean you can only get them after 9pm even.

Wrathbringer
10-13-2014, 02:24 PM
But that burger is awesome as fuck.

And you get all that food that will make you shit for $6. What more could a stoner ask for? I mean you can only get them after 9pm even.

This is more accurate.

Fallen
10-13-2014, 08:39 PM
In America, we don't kill sick people's dogs. Fucking Spanish savages.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2014/10/12/dallas-ebola-health-worker-dog/17159727/

Tenlaar
10-13-2014, 09:06 PM
If they can, in fact, carry and spread ebola without showing signs then we should.

Fallen
10-13-2014, 10:27 PM
If they can, in fact, carry and spread ebola without showing signs then we should.

Or they could actually take the opportunity to test to see if the animal is capable of shedding virus. Do you know how many wild dogs and pigs are over there in Africa digging up graves and munching on bodies laying in the street?

http://www.news24.com/Africa/News/Liberia-Dogs-eat-remains-of-Ebola-victims-20140826-2

Androidpk
10-13-2014, 10:35 PM
Better to be safe I say.

Fallen
10-13-2014, 11:38 PM
Better to be safe I say.

I work with Ebola infected animals. It is quite within the scope of science to quarantine an animal infected with Ebola. They used to "Grey out" monkeys with the disease, where if they survived an infection they would wait a period of time before allowing them to be used in an experiment with a different agent (like Marburg).

Methais
10-14-2014, 12:24 AM
Better to be safe I say.

That's just how the government wants you to think.

Tisket
10-14-2014, 02:00 AM
Better to be safe I say.

So if you got ebola, you'd be okay with someone coming in and killing your cat just to be safe? Regardless of any testing on the animal first?

Atlanteax
10-14-2014, 08:30 AM
So if you got ebola, you'd be okay with someone coming in and killing your cat just to be safe? Regardless of any testing on the animal first?

In my household, they would be shot should they attempt to do so.

Androidpk
10-14-2014, 08:39 AM

Don't be so dramatic.

Fallen
10-14-2014, 08:53 AM
Don't be so dramatic.

I don't believe she is being dramatic. She is attempting to inspire empathy. It's easy to wish (largely pointless) sacrifice on others for the sake of the supposed greater good, but it isn't too fun when it's forced on you, hypothetical or otherwise.

Wrathbringer
10-14-2014, 09:07 AM
In my household, they would be shot should they attempt to do so.

1st, animals in the house is disgusting. 2nd, they're not more important than people. Last, we should start with all the pets allowed indoors. I say we thin the herd by 90% just to be sure.

Atlanteax
10-14-2014, 10:36 AM
1st, animals in the house is disgusting. 2nd, they're not more important than people. Last, we should start with all the pets allowed indoors. I say we thin the herd by 90% just to be sure.

Wrong, my pets > non-family/close-friends

Wrathbringer
10-14-2014, 11:30 AM
Wrong, my pets > non-family/close-friends

Reported.

Gelston
10-14-2014, 12:35 PM
Yep. I hold my pet's life above anyone else's on this forum. Sorry brah.

Androidpk
10-14-2014, 12:39 PM
Yep. I hold my pet's life above anyone else's on this forum. Sorry brah.

Bud lite is not a pet.

Tisket
10-14-2014, 12:44 PM
Don't be so dramatic.

Says Chicken Little....

Gelston
10-14-2014, 12:45 PM
Bud lite is not a pet.

I am aware of that. Also, it is Spell "Light" not "Lite". Miller is Lite.

Androidpk
10-14-2014, 06:58 PM
Says Chicken Little....

I said back in May that this outbreak was a huge event that needed to be contained quickly, and guess what? I was right.

Astray
10-14-2014, 07:00 PM
I said back in May that this outbreak was a huge event that needed to be contained quickly, and guess what? I was right.

I think, correct me if I'm wrong, they set up a relief center and it was plundered within 24 hours or so.

Androidpk
10-14-2014, 07:03 PM
I think, correct me if I'm wrong, they set up a relief center and it was plundered within 24 hours or so.

Who? Where? When?

Astray
10-14-2014, 07:08 PM
Who? Where? When?

HERE (http://www.sott.net/article/283919-Villagers-raid-Liberian-quarantine-center-up-to-30-Ebola-patients-flee)

Methais
10-14-2014, 07:23 PM
HERE (http://www.sott.net/article/283919-Villagers-raid-Liberian-quarantine-center-up-to-30-Ebola-patients-flee)

Napalm time?

Astray
10-14-2014, 07:24 PM
Napalm time?

It might help. I mean, I don't personally advocate it but when the people you are actively trying to assist begin to loot buildings and scare off patients that are dangerously contagious...

Methais
10-14-2014, 07:28 PM
It might help. I mean, I don't personally advocate it but when the people you are actively trying to assist begin to loot buildings and scare off patients that are dangerously contagious...

It's like catching cancer and eradicating it early before it spreads. But with napalm. And with cancer being a bunch of dumb fucks who don't know how to act and are going to result in this shit spreading all over the place because of shit like in that story.

Astray
10-14-2014, 07:31 PM
True. I would imagine that if there wasn't a massive political and social backlash it would be done already.

Methais
10-14-2014, 07:42 PM
True. I would imagine that if there wasn't a massive political and social backlash it would be done already.

Someone should just do it and blame it on North Korea.

Astray
10-14-2014, 07:46 PM
Someone should just do it and blame it on North Korea.

Those wily North Koreans!

Tisket
10-15-2014, 03:34 AM

Oh come on. You were totally psyched for it to be an epidemic to rival the Black Death.

Androidpk
10-15-2014, 03:38 AM
Oh come on. You were totally psyched for it to be an epidemic to rival the Black Death.

Because I'm some sort of sadistic person right? I'm rolling my eyes.

Thondalar
10-15-2014, 03:45 AM

If only it created zombies and not just dead people.

zhelas
10-15-2014, 10:20 AM
From 2002 to 2007, I lived in the Village Apartment complex where the second Ebola case has been diagnosed here in Dallas. This is very near SMU, Southern Methodist University. I still live in Dallas County but about 30 min away from that area.

zhelas
10-15-2014, 10:54 AM
If this is true:

Nurses’ Union: Ebola Patient Left In Open Area Of ER For Hours

DALLAS (AP) — A Liberian Ebola patient was left in an open area of a Dallas emergency room for hours, and the nurses treating him worked for days without proper protective gear and faced constantly changing protocols, according to a statement released late Tuesday by the largest U.S. nurses’ union.

Nurses were forced to use medical tape to secure openings in their flimsy garments, worried that their necks and heads were exposed as they cared for a patient with explosive diarrhea and projectile vomiting, said Deborah Burger of National Nurses United.

Burger convened a conference call with reporters to relay what she said were concerns of nurses at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, where Thomas Eric Duncan — the first person to be diagnosed with Ebola in the U.S. — died last week.

Duncan died Oct. 8, and the hospital said Sunday that one of his nurses had tested positive for Ebola. She is hospitalized and was listed Tuesday in good condition. On Wednesday, Texas health officials announced that a preliminary test indicated a second, unidentified health care worker at the hospital had been infected with the disease.

RoseAnn DeMoro, executive director of Nurses United, said the statement came from “several” and “a few” nurses, but she refused repeated inquiries to state how many. She said the organization had vetted the claims, and that the nurses cited were in a position to know what had occurred at the hospital. She refused to elaborate.

Among the nurses’ allegations was that the Ebola patient’s lab samples were allowed to travel through the hospital’s pneumatic tubes, opening the possibility of contaminating the specimen delivery system. The nurses also alleged that hazardous waste was allowed to pile up to the ceiling.

Wendell Watson, a Presbyterian spokesman, did not respond to specific claims by the nurses but said the hospital has not received similar complaints.

“Patient and employee safety is our greatest priority and we take compliance very seriously,” he said in a statement. “We have numerous measures in place to provide a safe working environment, including mandatory annual training and a 24/7 hotline and other mechanisms that allow for anonymous reporting.”

He said the hospital would “review and respond to any concerns raised by our nurses and all employees.”

The nurses alleged that:

— Duncan was kept in a non-isolated area of the emergency department for several hours, potentially exposing up to seven other patients to Ebola;

— Patients who may have been exposed to Duncan were kept in isolation only for a day before being moved to areas where there were other patients;

— Nurses treating Duncan were also caring for other patients in the hospital;

— Preparation for Ebola at the hospital amounted to little more than an optional seminar for staff;

— In the face of constantly shifting guidelines, nurses were allowed to follow whichever ones they chose.

“There was no advance preparedness on what to do with the patient, there was no protocol, there was no system,” Burger said.

Even today, Burger said, some hospital staff at the Dallas hospital do not have proper equipment to handle the outbreak.

“Hospital managers have assured nurses that proper equipment has been ordered but it has not arrived yet,” she said.

The nurses’ statement said they had to “interact with Mr. Duncan with whatever protective equipment was available,” even as he produced “a lot of contagious fluids.” Duncan’s medical records, which his family shared with The Associated Press, underscore some of those concerns.

Almost 12 hours after he arrived in the emergency room by ambulance, his hospital chart says Duncan “continues to have explosive diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea and projectile vomiting.” He was feverish and in pain.

When Ebola was suspected but unconfirmed, a doctor wrote “using the disposable shoe covers should also be considered.” At that point, by all protocols, those shoe covers should have been mandatory to prevent anyone from tracking contagious body fluids around the hospital.

A few days later, however, entries in the hospital charts suggest that protection was improving.

“RN entered room in Tyvek suits, triple gloves, triple boots, and respirator cap in place,” wrote a nurse.

The Presbyterian nurses are not represented by Nurses United or any other union. DeMoro and Burger said the nurses claimed they had been warned by the hospital not to speak to the media or they would be fired. They did not specify whether the nurses making the claims were among Duncan’s caregivers.

The AP has attempted since last week to contact dozens of individuals involved in Duncan’s care. Those who responded to reporters’ inquiries have so far been unwilling to speak.

David R. Wright, deputy regional administrator for the U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, which monitors patient safety and has the authority to withhold federal funding, said his agency is going to want to get all of the information the nurses provided.

“We can’t talk about whether we’re going to investigate or not, but we’d be interested in hearing that information,” he said.

CDC officials did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Duncan first sought care at the hospital’s ER late on Sept. 25 and was sent home the next morning. He was rushed by ambulance back to the hospital on Sept. 28. Unlike his first visit, mention of his recent arrival from Liberia immediately roused suspicion of an Ebola risk, records show.

The CDC said Tuesday 76 people at the hospital could have been exposed to Duncan after his second ER visit. Another 48 people are being monitored for possible exposure before he was hospitalized.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/10/15/nurses-union-ebola-patient-left-in-open-area-of-er-for-hours/

JackWhisper
10-15-2014, 10:56 AM
I've never had ACTUAL explosive diarrhea, but a machine gun butthole is a scary thing, it sounds like.

Edit: Betting the shart repper strikes.

Fallen
10-15-2014, 11:44 AM
Scary stuff. If it proves true there is a very high likelihood most of those nurses will become infected.

zhelas
10-15-2014, 11:46 AM
Are you fucking kidding me?!? Is Ronald Mac Donald running the Ebola challenges here in Dallas?!? If someone who was providing healthcare for Duncan, in conditions that were questionable, and if you are under observation, then HOW THE FUCK does this happen?!?

Ebola Patient Traveled By Air Day Before Symptoms Surfaced

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – The CDC has announced that the second healthcare worker diagnosed with Ebola traveled by air Oct. 13, the day before she first reported symptoms.

The CDC is now reaching out to all passengers who flew on Frontier Airlines flight 1143 Cleveland to Dallas/Fort Worth. The flight landed at 8:16 p.m. CT.

The CDC is asking all 132 passengers on the flight to call 1 800-CDC INFO (1 800 232-4636). Public health professionals will begin interviewing passengers about the flight after 1 p.m. ET.

Authorities say that the healthcare worker did not exhibit symptoms while on the flight, according to crew members. However, the precaution is needed due to the proximity in time between the flight and the first reported symptoms.

The diagnosis was announced by the Texas Department of State Health Services early Wednesday morning. CBS 11 has confirmed that the patient is 26-year-old Amber Joy Vinson of Dallas.

Vinson, who is the second worker at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas to be diagnosed, also provided health care to Thomas Duncan.

Duncan, the first person to be diagnosed with Ebola in the United States, died last week.

“This is a developing story… Refresh this page for more details.”

zhelas
10-15-2014, 11:47 AM
Don't get me wrong. I understand that you need be showing symptoms in order to be contagious. But this is Bull Shit.

Fallen
10-15-2014, 12:04 PM
What confuses me is how these hospitals don't have appropriate PPE for dealing with people who are highly contagious. It isn't like Ebola is the only disease that can spread like wildfire. The only difference is the lethality of the disease.

Tisket
10-15-2014, 12:07 PM
I'm not at all surprised or confused at medical lapses in hygiene. At a recent physical, my doctor came in the room and started the exam without washing his hands. I had to ask him to do so.

Fallen
10-15-2014, 12:15 PM
I'm not at all surprised or confused at medical lapses in hygiene. At a recent physical, my doctor came in the room and started the exam without washing his hands. I had to ask him to do so.

Gross. I hate going to hospitals. Love going to airports, though. I guess they're not much better.

Androidpk
10-15-2014, 12:32 PM
Don't worry guys, the U.S. healthcare system is top notch and there is no way we'd ever see an ebola outbreak here. Ever. Trust us.

Gelston
10-15-2014, 12:39 PM
Don't worry guys, the U.S. healthcare system is top notch and there is no way we'd ever see an ebola outbreak here. Ever. Trust us.

We won't see an outbreak. Mediocre healthcare systems could contain it.

Androidpk
10-15-2014, 12:40 PM
We won't see an outbreak. Mediocre healthcare systems could contain it.

Keep telling yourself that.

zhelas
10-15-2014, 12:44 PM
President Obama, addressing the ebola outbreak September 16, 2014 at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta:

First and foremost, I want the American people to know that our experts, here at the CDC and across our government, agree that the chances of an Ebola outbreak here in the United States are extremely low. We’ve been taking the necessary precautions, including working with countries in West Africa to increase screening at airports so that someone with the virus doesn’t get on a plane for the United States. In the unlikely event that someone with Ebola does reach our shores, we’ve taken new measures so that we’re prepared here at home. We’re working to help flight crews identify people who are sick, and more labs across our country now have the capacity to quickly test for the virus. We’re working with hospitals to make sure that they are prepared, and to ensure that our doctors, our nurses and our medical staff are trained, are ready, and are able to deal with a possible case safely.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-two-weeks-ago-chances-ebola-outbreak-here-extremely-low_808405.html

Atlanteax
10-15-2014, 12:57 PM
This is what happens when hospitals are understaffed and are mandated to 'treat' every individual that walks in (or is transported in) ... 'corners get cut' and procedures are compromised.

Does not help that at times, nurse receptionists at the desks act like they are working at the DMV.

Those with the expertise or critical skills are too preoccupied with going from patient to patient to have the flexibility to pause and ensure all procedures in a hospital are being adhered to at the highest expectations.

zhelas
10-15-2014, 01:05 PM
This is what happens when hospitals are understaffed and are mandated to 'treat' every individual that walks in (or is transported in) ... 'corners' get cut and procedures are compromised.

Does not help that at times, nurse receptionists at the desks act like they are working at the DMV.

Those with the expertise or critical skills are too preoccupied with going from patient to patient to have the flexibility to pause and ensure all procedures in a hospital are being adhered to at the highest expectations.

There is the possibility too that folks don't view a city like Dallas as a port of entry into the US. They would believe that cities like LA, Boston, NY, Baltimore, Houston, Miami etc etc would have seen the first case of Ebola. As a result the hospitals located in the interior give seminars etc and don't have a protocol to follow.

Dallas was not prepared. The protocol was developing as events moved on. When this gets cleared up, I see law suits happening against the Presbyterian Hospital, from employees and from victims families.

Gelston
10-15-2014, 01:08 PM
Keep telling yourself that.

Keep telling yourself there will be one? I don't know why you seem to think there will be one.

Androidpk
10-15-2014, 01:13 PM
Keep telling yourself there will be one? I don't know why you seem to think there will be one.

I'm not saying there will be one. I'm saying there could be one.

Jeril
10-15-2014, 02:25 PM

With as slow as people seem to be reacting to it the chances of there being one are a lot higher then they should be. Not saying it will happen but it seems like one of those things were we should be able to rule it out as impossible, and yet that isn't the case.

Gelston
10-15-2014, 02:32 PM
I'm not saying there will be one. I'm saying there could be one.

And pigs could start flying and shitting rainbows. Lots of things "could" happen, but I'll go with it not happening, because the odds against it are outstanding.

And what? No one is talking about how Nigeria hasn't had another Ebola case in over 42 days?

Fallen
10-15-2014, 02:55 PM
And what? No one is talking about how Nigeria hasn't had another Ebola case in over 42 days?

Nigeria has also instituted travel and border closings to help contain the outbreak.

Androidpk
10-15-2014, 03:11 PM
And pigs could start flying and shitting rainbows. Lots of things "could" happen, but I'll go with it not happening, because the odds against it are outstanding.

Murphy's law doesn't give a fuck about odds.