PDA

View Full Version : For Reeeeal

Alafaya
08-22-2014, 06:13 PM
I won Gemstone.

Vi0lent Femme
08-22-2014, 07:47 PM
Why is this under relationships? grats anyway!

RichardCranium
08-22-2014, 08:12 PM
I'm guessing they were surprised buttsecksed.

Ardwen
08-22-2014, 08:12 PM
they are clearly going to be married

Androidpk
08-22-2014, 08:17 PM
Capping may as well be a full time relationship.

Gelston
08-22-2014, 08:20 PM
I thought winning GS was when you finally freed yourself from its icy grip.

Androidpk
08-22-2014, 08:21 PM
I thought winning GS was when you finally freed yourself from its icy grip.

That only happens in death, so..

Gelston
08-22-2014, 08:22 PM
That only happens in death, so..

More people have completely quit then currently pay!

Berylla
09-10-2014, 02:17 PM
But they always come back.

Gelston
09-10-2014, 07:31 PM
But they always come back.

No, no they don't.

Jace Solo
09-11-2014, 01:09 AM
That could likely be said about WoW too.

Lady Sylvan
09-11-2014, 02:33 AM
I successfully quit playing WoW after Arthas was killed. I don't think you can really quit GS4; you sort of take long breaks until the itch returns. I know this from a reliable source.

Gelston
09-11-2014, 02:34 AM
I successfully quit playing WoW after Arthas was killed. I don't think you can really quit GS4; you sort of take long breaks until the itch returns. I know this from a reliable source.

It depends on the person. I'd say out of the tens of thousands of people that have played this game, that simply isn't true. Unless the guy from the Blue Oyster Cult is playing again.

Androidpk
09-11-2014, 02:38 AM

Is this reliable source yourself?

Lady Sylvan
09-26-2014, 05:45 AM
Yes. I started playing WoW right as Burning Legion came out. And I stayed up until the end of WotLK. What turned me off to the game was when they were ready to release Cata.

As for GS4, Ive only been playing a year now. But I have read the forums and seen the returning folks. Most of them have played for years.

Fallen
09-26-2014, 11:23 AM
Yes. I started playing WoW right as Burning Legion came out. And I stayed up until the end of WotLK. What turned me off to the game was when they were ready to release Cata.

As for GS4, Ive only been playing a year now. But I have read the forums and seen the returning folks. Most of them have played for years.

A lot of us got our start in Gemstone during the free Prodigy/AOL days. It was like giving crack to a 12 year old. Only more expensive because of the crazy phone bills.

Androidpk
09-26-2014, 11:27 AM
I started in 94 or 95, on aol.

stormcrow
09-26-2014, 11:30 AM
We should have all been like Tsin .. make millions on this game and buy our own island and retire.

Methais
09-26-2014, 11:40 AM
We should have all been like Tsin .. make millions on this game and buy our own island and retire.

Millions?

/facepalm

Androidpk
09-26-2014, 11:43 AM

When is the last time anyone has talked to that dude? He should come back to GS.

Luftstreitkräfte
09-26-2014, 11:45 AM
When is the last time anyone has talked to that dude? He should come back to GS.

Blasphemy.

Candor
09-26-2014, 01:36 PM
A lot of us got our start in Gemstone during the free Prodigy/AOL days. It was like giving crack to a 12 year old. Only more expensive because of the crazy phone bills.

When it became known that GSIII was leaving AOL, some of the GSIII crackheads started demanding that AOL be legally forced to keep GSIII available. The logic was that since GSIII was so much of an addiction, AOL had to be legally forced to keep it so the crackheads could keep playing. This was a big topic on the AOL GSIII board the last 2-3 weeks before the game migrated away.

Methais
09-26-2014, 03:02 PM
When it became known that GSIII was leaving AOL, some of the GSIII crackheads started demanding that AOL be legally forced to keep GSIII available. The logic was that since GSIII was so much of an addiction, AOL had to be legally forced to keep it so the crackheads could keep playing. This was a big topic on the AOL GSIII board the last 2-3 weeks before the game migrated away.

And here I was, just like "Oh, I guess I'll just go to the website now."

Candor
09-27-2014, 01:42 AM
And here I was, just like "Oh, I guess I'll just go to the website now."

These were kids/teenagers with no way to pay for the website version. Some of them seemed pretty angry that the game was migrating away. I guess they got over it :)

Lady Sylvan
10-02-2014, 07:40 AM
Damn. AoL was awhile ago.

Nothing wrong with that. GS is an oldie but goodie game.

Nathala Crane
10-02-2014, 01:52 PM
I came back briefly. Played Celothor some. Met Nairena on the ferry, which was fun! (Dancing on boats ftw.) I just can't justify the cost, not while I'm still so addicted to FFXIV. GS is 'spensive, especially when I need the locker space being premium gets you. :<

Astray
10-02-2014, 02:00 PM
If Simu would just readjust prices...

Elgrim
10-02-2014, 02:14 PM

If they dropped premium down to $14.99 they'd probably double their population. Unfortunately $14.99 x2 doesnt equal the price today, so they'd probably lose money.

Now, if they did more micro-transactions at a realistic price along with a subscription rate decrease they might actually start making more money.

Johnny Five
10-02-2014, 02:16 PM

It will never happen.

Astray
10-02-2014, 02:24 PM
If they dropped premium down to $14.99 they'd probably double their population. Unfortunately $14.99 x2 doesnt equal the price today, so they'd probably lose money.

Now, if they did more micro-transactions at a realistic price along with a subscription rate decrease they might actually start making more money.

There are plenty of things they could charge for. Hell, setting up a spell-up NPC and selling vouchers for cheap would probably be the most popular cash shop item next to locker expansion. Simple things, really.

It will never happen.

Unfortunately true.

Latrinsorm
10-02-2014, 04:23 PM

Now, if they did more micro-transactions at a realistic price along with a subscription rate decrease they might actually start making more money.The trick is that you don't have to make money on every given account to make money overall. What do people always complain about? Not enough PCs in the game, not enough population density, "if it weren't for PsiNet/LNet I'd have quit". What does it cost in infrastructure (server/staff/etc.) for the marginal account? Can't be much if anything, right?

Give away 100 accounts for free + add/retain 5 paying accounts = profit.

Similar reasoning applies to more granular price changes, but mixed F2P is really the answer.

Lady Sylvan
10-02-2014, 07:45 PM
I have to agree that this game is a touch expensive (I just switched to premium a month and a half ago). And I also agree that they would get more people back if they set the cost of premium to 14.99. But all we can hope for is that the GM's are reading theses forum and that they see the wisdom in your suggestions.

And I remember dancing with you on the ferry to Vaalor. I was just so excited about returning home that I couldn't help it. You know the old saying:

"There is no place like home." -Wizard of Oz Movie

Viekn
10-02-2014, 08:01 PM
I have to agree that this game is a touch expensive (I just switched to premium a month and a half ago). And I also agree that they would get more people back if they set the cost of premium to 14.99. But all we can hope for is that the GM's are reading theses forum and that they see the wisdom in your suggestions.

And I remember dancing with you on the ferry to Vaalor. I was just so excited about returning home that I couldn't help it. You know the old saying:

"There is no place like home." -Wizard of Oz Movie

I think it all depends on your perspective. When I first started playing in college, I never would have spent more than the standard monthly amount. I never paid for events.

14 years later, I am premium, have signed up for 4 troubled waters runs, and signed up for Ebon Gate. However, I also don't go out to the movies except for like twice a year, and don't buy anything else except work clothes. GS is what is fun for me so that's what I choose to spend my money on.

Androidpk
10-02-2014, 08:10 PM
Basic account with 3 character slots - $5

Premium account - $15

Viekn
10-02-2014, 08:23 PM

Premium account - $15

If they did that, I'd definitely spend more on quests, events, and simucoins on a regular basis. I'm only spending a lot this month because it's Ebon Gate and I want the new runestaff from the troubled waters prize list. On a typical month though, my premium subscription is more than enough. They'd still make plenty of money off me by dropping the price and would likely attract more new or returning players to the game.

Wrathbringer
10-02-2014, 08:30 PM

Premium account - $15

I'd go premium for that and feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

Astray
10-02-2014, 08:31 PM
I'd go Premium as well.

JackWhisper
10-02-2014, 08:32 PM
I'd be Premium as well.

Thondalar
10-02-2014, 08:38 PM
I'm already premium with two premium accounts, so they'd lose $50/a month from me if they did that. I doubt seriously I would re-invest it in more Gemstone in the form of events (already do them anyway), although I *might* make simu coin purchases more often, though I doubt it. Maybe those encumbrance pots or something...but certainly not $50 a month worth.

Latrinsorm
10-03-2014, 12:04 PM
I'm already premium with two premium accounts, so they'd lose $50/a month from me if they did that. I doubt seriously I would re-invest it in more Gemstone in the form of events (already do them anyway), although I *might* make simu coin purchases more often, though I doubt it. Maybe those encumbrance pots or something...but certainly not $50 a month worth.Again though, you can't fixate on a plan that will generate profit on every account. Four people in twenty minutes said they'd go premium with that plan, if they weren't playing at all before then Simu is already at a profit on the balance sheet ($60 - $50 = +$10) and in second order effects (larger population). You gotta look at the big picture.

Nathala Crane
10-03-2014, 05:39 PM
The problem is, I really do think Simu would rather see these games stagnate than to so much as budge on pricing. Hell, look at Modus Operandi. An old GS friend of mine convinced me to play for the first time since the AOL and Prodigy days a while back. I was active for about three months. We both had all kinds of fun -- with the other five or six people who actually still played. I think I saw a GM on duty once. Same $15 standard fee, with a Premium option that got you even less than the one in Gemstone and DR.

I remember thinking at the time that it was like looking into the cloudy depths of some crystal ball and witnessing the post-apocalyptic future of Gemstone IV. Just depressing.

Johnny Five
10-03-2014, 05:45 PM
This topic has literally been discussed five hundred times. Simu will let GS die long before they change anything. I mean really, you could run this server on a decent comp to be honest haha.

Viekn
10-03-2014, 06:07 PM
Johnny Five is right. So other than bringing up the topic here, has anyone addressed it on the officials or made an attempt to have a GM start answering some legitimate questions about these longevity issues?

Allereli
10-03-2014, 06:11 PM
Johnny Five is right. So other than bringing up the topic here, has anyone addressed it on the officials or made an attempt to have a GM start answering some legitimate questions about these longevity issues?

about 500 times

Astray
10-03-2014, 06:18 PM
I get the feeling if they were going to change anything it'd be too late or too little.

Androidpk
10-03-2014, 06:43 PM

It was brought up during the AMA on reddit and they just said that was up to billing or something. AKA Solomon/Whatley