PDA

View Full Version : Holy Shit! Guns Do Save Lives!

caelric
07-26-2014, 04:35 AM
Whodathunkit?

Doctor shoots patient who shot, killed woman at Pennsylvania hospital (http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/25/us/pennsylvania-hospital-shooting/index.html)

(CNN) -- Psychiatrist Lee Silverman may have saved lives Thursday afternoon, when a patient opened fire in a suburban Philadelphia hospital, killing a caseworker.
Two guns were recovered at the scene -- one belonging to Plotts and one to Silverman. It wasn't certain who shot Hunt but, according to Whelan, investigators believe Silverman shot Plotts in self-defense.

Allereli
07-26-2014, 10:07 AM
guns don't save lives, people save lives...

Methais
07-26-2014, 10:18 AM

People with guns save lives against other people with guns who are trying to take lives.

Ker_Thwap
07-26-2014, 10:36 AM

Nice. Turnabout is fair play.

Taernath
07-26-2014, 10:48 AM

Thread over before it began!

caelric
07-26-2014, 11:32 AM
How about this: well written laws that allow legal, law-abiding gun owners to open and conceal carry without going through too much rigamorale ('shall issue' vs 'may issue') saves lives.

Ker_Thwap
07-26-2014, 12:24 PM
How about this: well written laws that allow legal, law-abiding gun owners to open and conceal carry without going through too much rigamorale ('shall issue' vs 'may issue') saves lives.

Eh, you have to jump through hoops to get a passport, or a driver's license. Jumping through a few hoops to get a gun won't get anyone killed.

caelric
07-26-2014, 11:02 PM
Jumping through hoops is not really the issue; many 'may issue' states/localities are in effect, 'no-issue' areas, as they only accept less than 1% of applications. All states should be (in my opinion, of course) 'shall issue' That is, unless they have extrasordinary reasons, they will issue cc permeits to non-felons/non mentally deranged individuals.

Back
07-26-2014, 11:17 PM
I wish this was more the case than not. Unfortunately these kinds of incidents are rare. The couple in Vegas who killed two cops in a pizza place then went on to Walmart... a guy in Walmart drew his weapon on one of them but the other one shot him.

Gelston
07-27-2014, 12:00 AM
There are probably more times that an armed citizen stopped something before it began then the news tells you about.

If you wanted to rob a place would you go where everyone is armed?

Back
07-27-2014, 12:39 AM
There are probably more times that an armed citizen stopped something before it began then the news tells you about.

If you wanted to rob a place would you go where everyone is armed?

Like I said I wish it was the case. But the numbers we do have don't back that up. It does not help that studies of gun related crime are not being fully funded currently.

Tgo01
07-27-2014, 12:53 AM
Like I said I wish it was the case. But the numbers we do have don't back that up. It does not help that studies of gun related crime are not being fully funded currently.

Even MotherJones (http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/04/charts-debunking-myth-guns-self-defense), like the second most liberal site in the entire world, admits 3% of all homicides are justifiable homicides and also for the years 2007-2011 firearms were used in self defense 340,000 times.

Of course MotherJones is trying to spin this as "Not enough!" but it sounds like pretty gosh darn big numbers to me. And these are just the numbers a liberal, anti gun site is willing to admit to.

Gelston
07-27-2014, 02:18 AM

Most of the times, the "numbers" of prevented crimes don't show up.

HEY GUESS WHAT! THIS DIDN'T HAPPEN! See what I mean?

Laviticas
07-27-2014, 02:34 AM

I'm curious, what studies need to be done on gun related crimes?

Latrinsorm
07-27-2014, 04:21 PM
There are probably more times that an armed citizen stopped something before it began then the news tells you about.We did this in the other thread, but those kind of events do turn out to be less frequent than crimes committed with guns.
If you wanted to rob a place would you go where everyone is armed?I would go to the place where everyone had a false sense of security, yes. I don't bring much cash to New York City because it's New York City. If I had a gun and felt like God feels when he holds a gun, maybe I would bring more. And then I would be robbed more. By the police.

But the point stands.

Tgo01
07-27-2014, 04:29 PM
We did this in the other thread, but those kind of events do turn out to be less frequent than crimes committed with guns.

I would go to the place where everyone had a false sense of security, yes.

Alright Mr. Smartie pants. Please provide some data that backs up your assertion that criminals seek out places more heavily armed because people there have a false sense of security.

Latrinsorm
07-27-2014, 04:35 PM
I don't have any data on the thought process of criminals. Gelly asked what I would do, and I answered him.

Since you ask, though, the rates of violent crime and murder in shall and may issue states vs. more restrictive ones do not show statistically significant differences. If you would like to conclude anything about said thought process, I can't stop you.

Yet.

Tgo01
07-27-2014, 04:41 PM
Since you ask, though, the rates of violent crime and murder in shall and may issue states vs. more restrictive ones do not show statistically significant differences.

So in other words you got nothing.

Thanks for playing. Do be sure to check out the Great Egress.