PDA

View Full Version : Are movies more politicized these days?

Tgo01
07-22-2014, 01:07 PM
WARNING. Spoilers of The Purge in this thread, as well as The Campaign, The Lorax and The Dark Knight Rises, but those are older movies so suck it :p

Is it just me or are a lot of movies these days politicized or have some sort of social commentary about rich vs poor?

When I heard about The Purge it sounded pretty interesting. "Oh hey, a movie about crime being legal for one night, sounds pretty interesting." I was expecting mostly senseless mayhem but of course some sort of story weaved in there and for the most part it was. Except at the very end they had to say the government not only made The Purge legal but they are actively going out and killing hundreds of poor people on purpose because ordinary citizens aren't doing it fast enough. Like...why?! What was the point of that part? Why couldn't they just make a movie about crime being legal for one day? That part just kind of made me shake my head.

And how about The Campaign. Now, obviously a movie about winning an election should have politics involved but they were just over the top obvious about it. The "Motch Brothers" (Koch Brothers, wink wink), were the evil people in this movie, buying an election, paying Chinese labor like 2 cents a day and wanting to be able to bring cheap Chinese factories into the US so they could pay slave wages here. I mean come on, they could have at least been more subtle.

The Dark Knight Rises...like seriously! Leave your social commentary out of Batman movies! Bruce had a hard time escaping that pit because he's rich and never knew what it was like to be poor and want and that's why the kid was able to escape the hole? Really? We're trying to portray fucking Batman as a rich snob who has never done anything for himself in his entire life? When the criminals take over Gotham the first thing they do is round up all of the rich people and kill them because they blame the rich people for everything. That one chick says she's just been waiting for this to happen to the rich people because they deserved it. It couldn't just be that criminals took over Gotham and wanted to act like asshole criminals? They had to specifically target the rich? There were many more examples of this type of shit in the movie too, I just can't remember them all but I remember it nagging me almost the entire time I was watching the movie.

The Lorax? THE LORAX? Man. So much social commentary on how corporations are nothing but pure evil and pure greed and they are the ones destroying everything in this world. Now I know what you're thinking "But that's what the original Lorax story was all about!" Not necessarily. It wasn't just corporations destroying the world, it was ordinary people who didn't care also. Also The Onceler in the original story did at times feel guilty about what he was doing and often times questioned himself. Also he merely downplayed the impact he was having on nature and how many trees he was cutting down. In the movie it's just like flipping a light switch; one minute he's normal, the next minute he's a greedy asshole who openly admits he doesn't give a shit about nature or the trees. The moral in the story of The Lorax was that you (the reader) could make a difference if you just cared enough to change. The moral in the movie The Lorax was quite obviously that corporations are evil and are to blame so just point fingers.

Am I the only one seeing this shit? Maybe movies have always had this sort of politicization and social commentary and I just notice it more now that I'm older?

Luntz
07-22-2014, 01:14 PM
"For art to be unpolitical means only for it to ally itself with the ruling group." - Bertolt Brecht, “A Short Organum for the Theatre”

Latrinsorm
07-22-2014, 01:47 PM
No.

If you want to feel bad, look up the Bugs Bunny cartoons made during World War 2.

Tgo01
07-22-2014, 01:48 PM
No.

If you want to feel bad, look up the Bugs Bunny cartoons made during World War 2.

Bugs Bunny never involved himself in politics! You take that back!

Parkbandit
07-22-2014, 01:52 PM
No. I think it's always been there.. you are just more tuned into it.

And thinking there's something there when it's not really..

Tgo01
07-22-2014, 01:55 PM
And thinking there's something there when it's not really..

Hey hey hey. This is not all in my head :(

Latrinsorm
07-22-2014, 02:00 PM
Bugs Bunny never involved himself in politics! You take that back!http://mentalfloss.com/sites/default/legacy/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/bugs-the-marine-237x300.jpg

Tgo01
07-22-2014, 02:02 PM
http://mentalfloss.com/sites/default/legacy/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/bugs-the-marine-237x300.jpg

He's just expressing his second amendment rights. Oh, that's bad now? I see how it is!

Latrinsorm
07-22-2014, 02:04 PM
To my knowledge the Second Amendment does not give you the right to wear three fifths of a Marine Corps uniform and strut around with no pants on.

At least, not in Obama's America.

Gelston
07-22-2014, 02:10 PM
To my knowledge the Second Amendment does not give you the right to wear three fifths of a Marine Corps uniform and strut around with no pants on.

Wrong color blue, the Marines don't use that rank insignia anymore. The cover is also wrong. The only thing correct is the belt and gloves. Less than 3/5ths.

Whirlin
07-22-2014, 02:12 PM
Purge
Sounds like it was an important plot point to add justification for the movie's existence though.

The Campaign.

http://images.wikia.com/smuff/images/b/b1/I_don%27t_know_what_I_expected.gif

The Dark Knight Rises.

Isn't that the first thing that occurs in rebellions though? Destruction of the richest class of individuals?

The Lorax? THE LORAX?

I'm confused how the left out pieces make corporations LESS evil. Based on your synopsis, the corporation is imposing its will on the Oceler, and the Oceler is forced to perform evil, even though he's having doubts and apprehensions. Hell, that makes corporations seem mega-evil.

Tgo01
07-22-2014, 02:13 PM

Perhaps you've heard of the Ninth Amendment?

Latrinsorm
07-22-2014, 02:14 PM
Wrong color blue, the Marines don't use that rank insignia anymore. The cover is also wrong. The only thing correct is the belt and gloves. Less than 3/5ths.It was from the 1940s and in Technicolor. Let's call it a half.

Gelston
07-22-2014, 02:15 PM
Perhaps you've heard of the Ninth Amendment?

I violates the UCMJ to use your uniform to make a political statement, such as campaign ads or what have you. If you were never in or if it is a cartoon character, I'm not sure if that is covered at all. They used to have the Stolen Valor Act, but that thing was smacked so hard that it only applies when defrauding for monetary gain.

It was from the 1940s and in Technicolor. Let's call it a half.

No. I'll call it what it is in 2014.

Warriorbird
07-22-2014, 02:22 PM
It's telling that you neglect that the Republican wins at the end of The Campaign. It's an anti special interest message.

If you were slightly familiar with culture or read books (even kids' books) you might know that the Lorax and other Dr. Seuss political messages existed long before the movie.

Tgo01
07-22-2014, 02:22 PM
Sounds like it was an important plot point to add justification for the movie's existence though.

They explained in the very beginning that supposedly because of The Purge unemployment rate was way down, crime was way down (other than during this one day of course) and everything was (supposedly) great in the US...other than this one day. Wasn't that enough? Did it really need to involve the US government killing poor people because citizens weren't doing it fast enough?

http://images.wikia.com/smuff/images/b/b1/I_don%27t_know_what_I_expected.gif

Hey hey hey!

Isn't that the first thing that occurs in rebellions though? Destruction of the richest class of individuals?

No. Latrin will back me up here.

I'm confused how the left out pieces make corporations LESS evil. Based on your synopsis, the corporation is imposing its will on the Oceler, and the Oceler is forced to perform evil, even though he's having doubts and apprehensions. Hell, that makes corporations seem mega-evil.

In both the story and the movie the Onceler basically is the corporation...he's like the owner, CEO, president, COO and everything. The corporation doesn't make the Onceler do anything in either the story or the movie. In the story he's having arguments with The Lorax about what to do. The Lorax basically says "The trees!" and the Onceler is like "I hear what you're saying, it's terrible what's happening, but what about all of my employees? Do I fire them all?" The Onceler in the story is kind of a dick but he's at least trying to justify why he's doing the things he does...for the most part. In the movie the Onceler just instantly becomes a giant douche and, I shit you not, specifically mentions he's doing it for the money and that his only crime is growing the economy and that it's his "right" to destroy the trees and nature.

What about Titanic? Notice how the rich people are portrayed mostly (always?) as assholes? That rich guy beats the main actresses, the mother is a bitch, the parents are all portrayed as not really giving a shit about their children and are really more concerned with teaching them proper etiquette and making a good impression. In fact...that one guy who tries to cut in line for the lifeboats at the end...wasn't he a rich guy?

And notice how when they show the poor people they are all laughing and dancing and treating one another nicely and just getting along like one giant family.

Curse you, James Cameron, curse you!!!!

Tgo01
07-22-2014, 02:28 PM
It's telling that you neglect that the Republican wins at the end of The Campaign.

Pppphhhhbbbtttt.

After the Republican guy realized what assholes the Koch Brothers (Oh yeah, Motch Brothers) the Koch Brothers throw their support behind the Democrat as long as the Democrat promises to fulfill their evil plans. The Koch Brothers then rig the elections because they own the voting machines used and the Democrat win. The Democrat then realizes what a sell out he is and withdraws from the race (HMMMM!) and the Republican wins by default by promising to kick the Koch Brothers to the curb.

I'm not quite sure how you thought that little bit of information would somehow prove what I said wrong but okay :/

you might know that the Lorax and other Dr. Seuss political messages existed long before the movie.

What sort of political messages?

I already covered the Lorax; the message was mostly that the reader could change the world for the better by wanting to make a better future. The Onceler was basically saying "Hey, don't be me."

The message was not "Oh hey corporations are evil, don't worry little fella!"

Warriorbird
07-22-2014, 03:09 PM
Pppphhhhbbbtttt.

After the Republican guy realized what assholes the Koch Brothers (Oh yeah, Motch Brothers) the Koch Brothers throw their support behind the Democrat as long as the Democrat promises to fulfill their evil plans. The Koch Brothers then rig the elections because they own the voting machines used and the Democrat win. The Democrat then realizes what a sell out he is and withdraws from the race (HMMMM!) and the Republican wins by default by promising to kick the Koch Brothers to the curb.

I'm not quite sure how you thought that little bit of information would somehow prove what I said wrong but okay :/

What sort of political messages?

I already covered the Lorax; the message was mostly that the reader could change the world for the better by wanting to make a better future. The Onceler was basically saying "Hey, don't be me."

The message was not "Oh hey corporations are evil, don't worry little fella!"

The Campaign is a lot more evenhanded than you give it credit for. Its telling that you'd neglect that the Democrat was a total sellout. I think telling corrupt interests no is something a lot of Republicans could get behind.

Tgo01
07-22-2014, 03:15 PM
The Campaign is a lot more evenhanded than you give it credit for. Its telling that you'd neglect that the Democrat was a total sellout.

Yes and the Democrat is also the only one who does the noble thing and realizes what a sellout he is so he drops out of the race. Meanwhile the Republican candidate tells the evil Koch Brothers to go to hell.

Again, not sure what point it is you're trying to make here. I wasn't even going from the angle that the movie was trying to portray the Democrat as a good guy and the Republican is a bad guy. As far as the actual individuals go the Republican was a much better person than the Democrat was...until the very end when the Democrat decides he should do the "right" thing.

What sort of evenhandedness did you see in the movie? I don't recall any rich Democrats in the movie trying to buy the election and then literally rigging the election. In fact, I don't think there was even a single rich Democrat in the movie.

I think telling corrupt interests no is something a lot of Republicans could get behind.

Corrupt interests sure. You think using the name "Motch Brothers" was just a coincidence? I know everyone likes to point to the Koch Brothers as the root of all evil but what have they really done that was anywhere near on the level of evil as they portrayed in the movie?

Parkbandit
07-22-2014, 03:28 PM
Wait.. which one punched the kid (I didn't watch the movie, I just remembered that from the trailers) because that can be construed as either being for a Democrat who is for abortion (democrats are all about the wholesale slaughtering of babies) or the Republican who is responsible for killing children for supporting the 2nd amendment and not supporting climate change, more handout programs, etc.. which results in the deaths of millions and millions of innocent children each year.

Dendum
07-22-2014, 03:40 PM
If I recall the last movie of the bat man series was partially inspired by the 1980's graphic novel, in which the people did rebel and did go off and kill rich people...
I only watched the first "one day of killing" movie so I can not comment on the more recent one.

But honestly movies, and literature before that, have always had a political bent to them. If there going to comment on things one side or the other is bound to get pissed off
We should just start a game where we make up the liberal agenda of classic movies

Batteries not included- Anti Capitalism, Anti Development, Pro Illegal aliens.

Ghost Busters- Anti Government (though at the time...that would have been a liberal position...strange strange world), Too much science, sneaky "It takes a village" messaging, disregard for personal property for "the greater good"

Clockwork orange- too easy

Alien- Environmentalist dribble taken to the stars, anti corporation.

Superman - pro illegal aliens, anti government, anti gun, anti everything...fuck that dude.

Waterworld- seriously environmentalist propaganda, and it is so long only people without jobs can sit through it....

Tgo01
07-22-2014, 03:41 PM
Wait.. which one punched the kid (I didn't watch the movie, I just remembered that from the trailers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otn96q_v6P0

The Republican takes a swing at the Democrat then steps out of the way when the Democrat goes to punch the Republican.

So in a sense the scene makes them both look bad; the Democrat for punching the baby and the Republican for not taking the punch for the baby. Cause that's what a real man would have done!

Tgo01
07-22-2014, 03:45 PM
We should just start a game where we make up the liberal agenda of classic movies

V for Vendetta...like the entire movie.

Thondalar
07-22-2014, 03:52 PM
Am I the only one seeing this shit? Maybe movies have always had this sort of politicization and social commentary and I just notice it more now that I'm older?

You're not the only one seeing it, but it has been around since forever, and it goes both ways.

The key thing to remember here is that movies, books, art, music...it's all created by people. All people are biased, and incapable of completely removing that bias from things they create.

You probably do notice it more now that you're older, though.

Parkbandit
07-22-2014, 04:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otn96q_v6P0

The Republican takes a swing at the Democrat then steps out of the way when the Democrat goes to punch the Republican.

So in a sense the scene makes them both look bad; the Democrat for punching the baby and the Republican for not taking the punch for the baby. Cause that's what a real man would have done!

Sounds like a pro-abortion movie.

No thanks.

Parkbandit
07-22-2014, 04:05 PM

Avatar - The history of the Native American

Latrinsorm
07-22-2014, 04:11 PM
They explained in the very beginning that supposedly because of The Purge unemployment rate was way down, crime was way down (other than during this one day of course) and everything was (supposedly) great in the US...other than this one day. Wasn't that enough? Did it really need to involve the US government killing poor people because citizens weren't doing it fast enough?The punchline is asking whether that's just a movie.
No. Latrin will back me up here.That doesn't sound like me.

Tgo01
07-22-2014, 04:11 PM
That doesn't sound like me.

:(

Methais
07-22-2014, 04:27 PM

Tell that to the gay marines.

Warriorbird
07-22-2014, 04:45 PM
V for Vendetta...like the entire movie.

The comic was political too. Just anti Margaret Thatcher.