PDA

View Full Version : Need help: Can this run GSIV?

Dendum
07-11-2014, 04:50 PM
I am currently running GSIV on two rigs that are vastly overpowered for a text based game, one of them is overpowered most MMO's on the market right now. However I have been looking into getting a chrome book for working on papers with a cheap device with basic word processing and possibly for reading PDF files (my 7 inch and 8.9 inch tablets are great at being tablets but still a bit too small for full size academic PDF files), then I saw this thing just came out.

Acer Switch 10
Windows 8.1 - Intel® Atom™ Z3745 processor (1.33GHz/1.86GHz w/ Intel® Burst) - 2GB LPDDR3 memory - 32GB internal storage - 10.1" HD

one of those new hybrid style windows tablet, pc things...it looks to have an ok keyboard and the size is right for what I am looking for as far as pdf reader (if that amount of RAM can handle a PDF).... I know GSIV is old old tech that use to run on rigs half as good as this but I am wondering how much space and ram influence speed of lich and ruby.

Has anyone ran the game on something with specs like this? Does lich run ok on windows 8.1?

oh it is only 350ish dollars which is nice, if it can't handle the PDF files I might just grab a surface pro 2 which can be had at pretty low prices now (500ish) and have a full i3 in them.

Taernath
07-11-2014, 05:23 PM
I don't know of any PDF reader that needs more than 1GB of RAM. As far as Ruby/Lich, they can run on Win8, and on my 8.1 system I haven't had any problems. Even 2 GB of RAM shouldn't really be taxed by scripting.

Dendum
07-11-2014, 05:37 PM
Thanks,

I do know some tablets with 2gb of ram that don't fail at reading PDF's but they do struggle more than I would like, of course I am dealing with some PDF's that are just scanned JSTOR documents or scanned documents in the entirety. Most are between 3-20MB but I have one I am using often that is 200+ MB and it can strain the processor on my old old ipad and my newer nook HD+...I don't even bother with it on the nexus 7 because the screen size just isn't worth it.