PDA

View Full Version : Issue using lich first time user

Camas
06-11-2014, 11:30 AM
So yesterday I found out about lich and spent most of the day trying to get it to work, originally I was having an issue where it said I had no map database and my current room couldnt be found. I searched all over trying to fix it and found a post that sent me to a place where I could download what I needed. I never could get it to work so this morning I uninstalled ruby and deleted everything ruby and lich related from my computer to try to start over. I got everything back on and now when I get in game through lich, I can play but if I try to ;u updater like it wants me to as a first time user it freezes me up, Im still connected to game because I can see people doing things but I cant move or look or do anything. This happens if I try any of the ; commands. Can someone please help me, I have already wiped everything off of computer and tried again. Funny thing is, yesterday when i had it all set up ;go2 wasnt working but everything else was. Now its even worse. Please help

Camas
06-11-2014, 12:53 PM
So yesterday I found out about lich and spent most of the day trying to get it to work, originally I was having an issue where it said I had no map database and my current room couldnt be found. I searched all over trying to fix it and found a post that sent me to a place where I could download what I needed. I never could get it to work so this morning I uninstalled ruby and deleted everything ruby and lich related from my computer to try to start over. I got everything back on and now when I get in game through lich, I can play but if I try to ;u updater like it wants me to as a first time user it freezes me up, Im still connected to game because I can see people doing things but I cant move or look or do anything. This happens if I try any of the ; commands. Can someone please help me, I have already wiped everything off of computer and tried
again. Funny thing is, yesterday when i had it all set up ;go2 wasnt working but everything else was. Now its even worse. Please help

So I got this resolved without really doing anything...but now I have the map issue still
error no map database found

I have ;updater update forcemap and am told updater is already running.

slayd
06-12-2014, 01:33 AM
I am having the same problem. I've been able to get the map.dat file by doing the following:

In your lich\scripts folder, you should have a file named update.lic. This is the file you run when you do ;update update... in Stormfront. Open it in Notepad or even better a good text editor.

The problem seems to be in function called find_updates. The block is defined starting on line 131 on my system. I've sent Tillmen a message about this problem.

The workaround is to comment out the calls to this function. On my system, on line 182, there is a line, updated_scripts = find_updates.call. Change it temporarily to updated_scripts = [] # find_updates.call and save the updater.lic file.

Log back into the game. updater is run automatically. If the map data isn't loaded after a few minutes, do ;k updater, wait until it reports it is done, then do ;updater update forcemap. On my system all the map stuff was now downloaded. AND update reports that it has quit too!.

Once you get your map data, you can go back into updater.lic and change that line back to the original if you want. I did, but updater hangs up again and I have to explicitly do ;k updater to get the system working right again.

Hope this helps

Tillmen
06-12-2014, 12:43 PM
My guess is that your firewall/ISP is blocking the port for the repository. I think I remember Avast causing this problem in the past. Try using the repository script and see if that's also broken.

slayd
06-12-2014, 12:53 PM
I can download using repository, but ;repository list hangs up also

Latrinsorm
06-12-2014, 02:19 PM
When I first used Lich it took a LONG time for things like updater to run/respond. Just log in and ignore it for 15 minutes.

Gilralyn
06-12-2014, 02:23 PM
I can confirm that I had the same problem, and I was using Avast anti-virus at the time. That product screws up so many different types of connections I ended up forking out the cash for a more mainstream AV product.

slayd
06-12-2014, 03:44 PM
my updater is still running after 45 minutes with no end in sight. I use Avast also. Will turn it off and see if that solves the problem

slayd
06-12-2014, 03:51 PM
removed Avast and my updater problems went away.

Camas
06-13-2014, 11:05 AM
My guess is that your firewall/ISP is blocking the port for the repository. I think I remember Avast causing this problem in the past. Try using the repository script and see if that's also broken.

I turned avast off and logged in and it did allow me to update everything and now my ;go2 works perfect. Thank you!

Shootah
06-15-2014, 07:32 AM
I have to say I am having the same issue, Downloaded SGE Ruby lich and all in in my documents folder, got rid of avast, tried to use the above change, I can use Repo list alpha but I cannot get the Maps. I have used a known good updater>
Thanks to Drevius for that. but regardless of what I do, I cannot get the maps. Why just curious isnt a map download offered? so you have at least Wl IMT etc with the basic starter maps available for each town and to/from? or the newest map files available to be downloaded and extracted.

Tillmen
06-16-2014, 04:00 PM
The maps can be downloaded from lichproject.org/updater

It might be some trouble getting the right one, extracting it, putting it in the right place, and getting the right map images.

They're not included in the Lich zip file because the the zip file would almost always be out of date, and you'd have to download another one the first time you log in anyway. If all four map databases are included, that's a lot of wasted bandwidth.