PDA

View Full Version : Societies for older rogues

IntegraC
09-27-2004, 10:15 AM
I've been going back and forth on this, and I'm not sure which way to go. Perhaps if I toss it up here I can make a decent decision.

I have an OTF aged rogue who is currently a master of Voln. He's running out of favor, and instead of building it back up I'm debating joining CoL.

My main reasons to go with CoL are the 9 higher AS/DS, the 20 TD, and the blood stopper. My main reasons I'm still with Voln is fog, and self keep.

Which society should I go with?

Soulpieced
09-27-2004, 10:23 AM
Obviously COL if you have to spend the rest of your hunting life in OTF. If you want to stay in Voln, your only choice is to hunt on 5 instead. That's really a no-brainer, and there is no other undead nearby you can build your favor on to make Voln worthwhile anymore.

Parkbandit
09-27-2004, 10:26 AM
Being a slave to Voln forever sucks... but you keep your 'soul'.

From a mechanics standpoint... I would say COL just for the clotting and extra as/ds/td help.

What would your character belong to though?

IntegraC
09-27-2004, 11:14 AM
Yah the AS/DS/TD benefits are my main reasons to dump Voln as well. The only thing keeping me attached is the amount of time I used to get to master Voln, the amount of favor I had, but I'm burning it quickly, and the ability to fog a group. But I suppose with the available society reset option I can go back there if I choose so.

Thanks.

Blazing247
09-27-2004, 11:40 AM
In OTF as a square, go Voln. I considered the switch to COL at level 100, but opted to stay in Voln for the benefits behind the barrier.

1) You get to fog, which while random in OTF, is still helpful in many situations.

2) You get self preservation. Death is inevitable there, and often times people are not around. Not decaying is a good thing, IMHO, though some do it like it's their job.

3) 9 points of AS/DS do NOT matter in OTF. If you are not a sorcerer, and can't benefit from wracking, then Voln is the way to go. If you are a brawler, Voln Fu is another plus.

4) As far as favor goes, lich'qyn'arj's appear during the night hours and provide many levels of Voln favor. I could easily replenish a months worth of favor in a night back in the day, as a capped cleric granted.

IntegraC
09-27-2004, 12:18 PM
Lemme just answer your points, since I did think about these as well.

1) Voln fog always lands you in the Cottage. I wish it was random, that way I could at least have a chance to get a body to the road.

2) I agree with you on that. Self keep is a big attraction to Voln, but I don't plan on dying much there. I have bad nights, as I did yesterday, but other that that I average a death every 2 weeks.

3) It's not just the 9 AS/DS, it's the 20 extra TD. Which is a big plus for squares.

4) Favor isn't a problem to get, since I can hunt the liches like you mentioned, or head out to Plane 3. The problem is that I don't hunt there normally, so it'd be just another pain in the ass.

Basically, this is how I look at it on how it would help squares/semis.

Voln:
-Group fog
-Self keep

CoL:
-TD boost
-Higher AS/DS boost
-Blood stopper

Believe me, it's a hard choice for me because I have been Voln for most of my time in GS. It's just that with dreams nerfed, I haven't replenished my favor since, and as I'm getting close to empty, I'm questioning if Voln is worth just the self keep really.

Blazing247
09-27-2004, 12:27 PM
Duh, yeah I was thinking about the randomness of WoR. As for dying every 2 weeks, what train are you? Even when capped, with extraordinary equipment, I died at least once a week through no fault of my own (empathic dispel of seers, call wind from griffins, etc. are all easy ways to die in OTF). As for the 20 extra TD, I wasn't a square so I couldn't tell you, but from what I remember 20 TD doesn't make a difference at that age.

IntegraC
09-27-2004, 12:36 PM
I'm still hunting Aquaduct, and plan on sticking there until 90 to play it safe. Maybe that's why my death rate isn't that high. I'm currently 85. As for the 20 extra TD, that would bring me up to 370 TD or so, which give me a decent chance to live through most casts.

Any squares/semis who hunt there wanna chime in and give their 2 cents on which society there're in and how it works?

Soulpieced
09-27-2004, 12:37 PM
Even when capped, with extraordinary equipment, I died at least once a week through no fault of my own (empathic dispel of seers, call wind from griffins, etc. are all easy ways to die in OTF).

I've died once in 4 months inside. All it takes is a 10x DB...

Blazing247
09-27-2004, 12:43 PM
Yeah, a 10x DB would've been nice. Semi-dux is also nice. Lullabye is also nice. Song of Disruption or whatever it's called is also nice. I never died in a head to head battle, but a seer and griffin combo could get me 50% of the time if I failed to bind them quickly enough.

Soulpieced
09-27-2004, 12:46 PM
I really have no clue how much if any redux I have anymore, but I never get hit anyway. The extra 50 DS does wonders.

IntegraC
09-27-2004, 12:58 PM
What's yer offensive DS like, Soulpieced. Mine with the spells I can hold is 430 and I rarely get a wound in. I figure you're around 500 or so?

Soulpieced
09-27-2004, 01:48 PM
With blurs, 103, and 202, approximately 530. So high 490's or 500 completely self-cast.

AnticorRifling
09-27-2004, 06:54 PM
That DS pisses me off heh. 283 self cast w00t.

Jonty
09-27-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by IntegraC
I'm still hunting Aquaduct, and plan on sticking there until 90 to play it safe. Maybe that's why my death rate isn't that high. I'm currently 85. As for the 20 extra TD, that would bring me up to 370 TD or so, which give me a decent chance to live through most casts.

You shouldn'be being warded by ANYTHING in the ducts. Unless you're wearing crappy armor like full leather or some shit.

IntegraC
09-27-2004, 08:36 PM
From most of my experience seeing squares in the Ducts, they have TD issues. Me being at 340ish TD for a square is pretty good I would say.

As far as being warded, taints have a 20% and under chance to ward me. With the TD from CoL they'd have 0% chance.