PDA

View Full Version : Weapons For a New Monk

Demgar
06-04-2014, 12:11 PM
Hi, I'm getting back into GS after some years away, and I've started a monk. I'm having a bit of trouble finding good information about weapons and the weapons themselves.

My fellow is an open handed brawler, but I have no problem using some knuckle dusters or the like if that's better. I think I'm supposed to get handwraps (gloves), boots, and then optionally some brawling weapons.

Gloves/handwraps:
Are these special brawling gloves, or are "clothing" gloves blessable? Is there anywhere I can find low-enchant (3x-4x & vanilla) gloves/handwraps, ie: a weapons store? The stuff I've been able to find in auctions or the player shops seems to be pretty high-end.

Brawling weapons:
Again, any suggestions for finding low enchant/vanilla brawling weapons? What is a good type to look for?

Boots:
Are "clothing" boots blessable, or do I need special brawling boots? Do boots hold enchants for increased unarmed attack bonus?

Also have a question about armour. I've not trained in it at all, but my character came with some leather armour. Should I remove this and go with some robes instead (I have the Ironskin spell), or do the ironskin and the armour "stack"?

JackWhisper
06-04-2014, 01:22 PM
Step 1: Evaluate the market.
Step 2: Find a good merchant.
Step 3: Reroll into a ranger/rogue if you simply MUST do UAC.
Step 4: ????
Step 5: Profit.

In all seriousness, monks shine at nothing. Rogues and Rangers do UAC, which monks are supposed to excel in, better than Monks do. There's plenty of documentation on this subject, and lots of people will chime in.

To answer your questions.

1) Gloves/Handwraps are weapons for you, if they're UAC gloves/handwraps. And yes, they are blessable. 4x is purchasable in the weapon shop. Some of the UAC gear is backroom, so find someone with backroom to acquire this.

2) Get some fist-scythes. They're awesome, I think. Maybe I just love fist-scythes because of the name.

3) Yes you need special brawling boots. The boots/gloves can be enchanted.

4) Robes/Ironskin is fun, but it's not usually a low level thing. People usually train armor use a bit early on, then if they want to do more Ironskin/Spells later, they do. Just don't see a lot of it around. Not that it isn't possible. Just not widely used.

Good luck!

Whirlin
06-04-2014, 01:27 PM
People tend to train in armor use for monks instead of Ironskin for a few reasons:
1) Redux calculations. More redux from armor use than from lores!
2) AvD implication. Ironskin keeps Robes AvD. Monks end up having much larger concerns around spells and warding than DS.
3) Armor Market. There's a much better established market for non-robe armor. Monks brought robes into a viable type of armor. Prior to ironskin, robes were predominantly RP, or for casters that had enhancive helms who didn't feel it was worth wearing double leathers.

Versin
06-04-2014, 02:21 PM
All true points from other posters, although I think the 1202/robes route is still viable at early levels with 5 ranks of ML:T. To answer your question it is an either/or situation, 1202 + robes or armor.

In my opinion, if you want to be a brawler don't be a monk. If you want to be a monk embrace it and use robes (and tailor your CMANs accordingly). Anything in GS is playable so choose something fun for you.

Mathari
06-04-2014, 04:41 PM
2) AvD implication. Ironskin keeps Robes AvD. Monks end up having much larger concerns around spells and warding than DS.
You mean CvA. :)

Demgar
06-05-2014, 05:43 AM
Thanks for the advice guys! I played a couple rogues back in the day, and ranger doesn't really appeal to me. I'd like to try something a little different this time, so I think I'll stick out the monk for now. I've found the carts in Icemule that have the stuff I need, and re-read the UAC karkipedia page carefully, turns out most of what I needed to know was there, I just didn't read it thoroughly enough the first time.

Good advice on the armour, I do have some extra PTP's so I'll look at training in that for low levels. Cheers!

Zho
06-06-2014, 10:29 AM
This is totally going to be a rambling, quasi on topic reply but I would like to share my experience playing a monk. I just played a monk to 25th and at first, I was really in love with the class. The built-in disablers that UAC consists of are pretty great and offer a lot of tactical utility when approaching various mobs. I would recommend training in ambush but you do not need very much at all; for me, I started with 2x CMAN and 1x ambush and as of right now I currently have 0 ambush and can still actually manage to aim and hit my targets - bug? Maybe! I think it's an inherent mechanic of UAC which uses a larger CMAN bonus and less Ambush. You might do well with .5 and see less failures than I currently do.

The market for monk gear blows but I highly encourage robes with 1202 in combination with 3x dodge and 3x PF. Our TD is inherently terrible due to 1202 not reflecting the ASG's CVA but it can be mitigated with Slipperymind and smart hunting choices. Low level war camps were absolutely awesome with my monk. Pick up any brawling weapon that you want but stick with just one rather than two, the DF increase for two isn't worth the hit to MM. I haven't seen any non-vanilla fist-scythes sold through NPC merchants or even a diverse selection of UAC compatible weaponry that isn't vanilla. The clearing outside the north gate in WL has the best selection; I think. FWI might have some? There are some decently priced flaring UAC gear via player shops. I wouldn't pay 400k which some people are asking for but I have seen a couple selling at 100k-200k. If you need some flaring UAC gauntlets let me know, I have an extra set. I really have to reiterate that the market for Monks is absolutely horrible. It's a PITA finding anything and due to the lack of interest in the class as actual UAC users, I really doubt we'll see much more gear enter the market in any big way. It's pretty boring. Bummer.

If you 1x MOC and have .5 or 1x in TWC, grab some fist-scythes as they are brutal for Mstrike! I have no idea why every monk I've come across is against using mstrike just because it doesn't use UAC. Fuck. That.

You've picked what could be a super fun, tactical class that unfortunately doesn't gain any natural synergy or fluidity with UAC. It's slow. Really, really slow. People warned me about this when I began but I just brushed it off as general hate toward monks. I ground out 25 levels before I began to realize that they might be right; it was taking me 15-20 seconds or so to kill one mob that I'm five levels over. Ridiculous. It's not always as bad as that but it's consistently sluggish.

Monks shine in their ability to maximize their redux - I had it by 17-18 (I was 1xing ambush at the time) and although I don't know how much redux I actually have, I feel as if it is definitely actively helping me. Couple the redux with their Ipower cman and your pretty set! This is my current skill template

Two Weapon Combat..................| 62 13
Combat Maneuvers...................| 152 52
Brawling...........................| 152 52
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 120 30
Physical Fitness...................| 178 78
Dodging............................| 178 78
Harness Power......................| 58 12
Perception.........................| 108 26

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 1

Spell Lists
Minor Mental.......................| 9

Some players might boo hoo that build due to the lack of transformation lore and spells but transformation lore is only going to get you into brig by 30th if you 1x. So what? It's not going to help our CVA so it's a moot point! The AVD is nice but that can come in time, hunting in the equivalent of fulls or doubles is fine at these levels. This is real monk power that is sorely underutilized when coupled with UAC. They could be absolute monsters if the RT for UAC was reduced or if they had a cman, martial stance or spell that took advantage of Haste like mechanics only for UAC and Monks. Otherwise, the class is lackluster and you'll be wondering why you're even bothering trying to hunt with your friends when you can only get a couple of jabs in before they've killed the target, looted it and moved on to the next mob.

Remember, you're a square. A crippled square which definitely has to have spells. I suppose they were hoping to smoosh Monks and Savants into a single class (the spell choices in MnM reflect this, I feel) or maybe they were hoping to create a hybrid class that can have some great, amazing even, physical defense. Pump out those physical skills, man. If you can afford 6x-10x UAC gloves with weighting (I'd go with damage, myself, for UAC) you might actually be able to do well. Or pick up some points in MIU and utilize Haste. Haste+UAC=badassery.

I apologize for the kind of ramble but I felt that I honestly had to give you some forewarning. Good luck and I hope they don't turn out to be as much of a disappointment for you as they have been for me.

Androidpk
06-06-2014, 11:09 AM
They could be absolute monsters if the RT for UAC was reduced or if they had a cman, martial stance or spell that took advantage of Haste like mechanics only for UAC and Monks.

Rolling Krynch and haste go together like peanut butter and jelly. You can completely wreck warcamps using that. I think my current record is 8 back to back one hit kills with Krynch, UAC, and haste.

Zho
06-06-2014, 05:46 PM
Rolling Krynch and haste go together like peanut butter and jelly. You can completely wreck warcamps using that. I think my current record is 8 back to back one hit kills with Krynch, UAC, and haste.

Yeah, man. Putting a Monk into a camp with that raw combat capability was what really drove me to develop the profession (despite not taking it very far) but it's pretty clear they are bunk even if they have so much awesome potential. It's a shame they crippled the entire class in the one area that they should be the most capable in. C'est la vie, I'll keep rolling with the UAC Wizard.

Androidpk
06-15-2014, 12:31 AM
Yeah, man. Putting a Monk into a camp with that raw combat capability was what really drove me to develop the profession (despite not taking it very far) but it's pretty clear they are bunk even if they have so much awesome potential. It's a shame they crippled the entire class in the one area that they should be the most capable in. C'est la vie, I'll keep rolling with the UAC Wizard.

Yeah I admit they have some issues but they are still a very viable class. UAC could use some tweaking but monks are very flexible in combat styles. Mine is currently trained in THW and I use stance of the mongoose to great effect. TD is my biggest concern buy 1219 is amazing for shutting down casters.

Zho
07-14-2014, 06:13 PM
Yeah I admit they have some issues but they are still a very viable class. UAC could use some tweaking but monks are very flexible in combat styles. Mine is currently trained in THW and I use stance of the mongoose to great effect. TD is my biggest concern buy 1219 is amazing for shutting down casters.

I've actually been re-considering putting him on the shelf. Hands down, he has been the most fun that I've had with a class. Right now I'm considering either ranged or THW. Ranged, I think, would be intense and an interesting play style for the profession but I'm concerned about synergy - THW definitely seems like it would be more favorable. Have you kept your Monk in robes or did you move over into heavier armor? Emastery/Slipperymind just seem too sweet to give up!

MrMortimur
07-14-2014, 09:36 PM
For myself, once my monk hits level 68 I'm going to try THW for a bit. That is the level at which his agidex from base stats+perfect self+Burst of Swiftness (kept up permanently) gives me 6 second RT reduction as a burghal. At cap I'll need to get a +3 enhancive to make it 7 second reduction. One perk of THW for monks is that aside from warriors they are the only class that can double MOC. So if a focused quad strike simply isn't enough...

I've stayed in robes, though I've ensorcelled them a few times to at least mitigate some of the penalty. TD could still be a concern but being level 52 or so, I still have enough hunting options to avoid casters when I want.