PDA

View Full Version : Tone.

Betheny
09-01-2003, 10:47 PM
Here is my question to you: Is there anything more annoying than people that abuse TONE?

Myden jokingly asks, "any healers?"

List the biggest offenders here. Maybe they'll get the idea...

Drew2
09-01-2003, 10:50 PM
Garr

Snapp
09-01-2003, 10:56 PM
Adyria, who always talks "sadly," even when greeting friends, smooching, yelling at someone... you get the idea.

09-01-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Maimara
Here is my question to you: Is there anything more annoying than people that abuse TONE?

Myden jokingly asks, "any healers?"

Yes.

But since the topic isn't about them, I have captured the following statements in my quote file...

Hashum knowingly asks, "does anyone no where the premium rp club is?"

Pierest mysteriously says, "oi, my butt hurts."

And this is my favorite... this is not a bash, cause I have lots of respect for Adyr, I think he was just sleepy and... what he was saying wasn't clear at all!

>
Adyr clearly says, "ok kondalor my real brother as vashy knows he not been on much well the jants invaded due to major teeth problems"
>
Klaive asks, "The Jants invaded due to major teeth problems?"
>
Adyr clearly says, "no he couldent concentrate while they invaded due to his teeth"
>
Klaive asks, "They invaded due to Kondalor's teeth?"
>
(Vashtee dies laughing!)
>

In an IM to a friend who was also present, I stated the following, much to their amusement:

A Jantalarian Regular exclaims, "We'll not rest until we're in possession of every last one of Kondalar's teeth! Hail Jantalar!"

A Jantalarian Sentry asks, "What in the name of Kondalor's teeth is going on here!?"

Snapp
09-01-2003, 11:04 PM
Lalana sweetly exclaims, "I'll kill him!"

Edit: Dont beat me up Lalana :cool:

[Edited on 9-2-2003 by Snapp]

Betheny
09-01-2003, 11:04 PM
Myden jokingly asks, "Maimara Can ye cast in the minor elemental circle?"

a few minutes go by. He asks again.

>You say, "I'm a cleric."
>You say, "Sorry, I thought you were joking."
>
Myden jokingly asks, "anyone able to help me out wif some brights brills and silveries iffin I send?"
>
Myden starts chuckling at you!

DCSL
09-01-2003, 11:07 PM

My vote is: Other people's children. Only slightly more annoying to me than TONE abusers, but still there.

Betheny
09-01-2003, 11:08 PM
oral sex: the ultimate birth control.

Souzy
09-01-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Snapp
Lalana sweetly exclaims, "I'll kill him!"

Edit: Dont beat me up Lalana :cool:

[Edited on 9-2-2003 by Snapp]

LMAO...Snappity Snapp...I do everything sweetly!!!!!!

Edit: I'd never beat Snapp up, but I can curse you out sweetly :D

[Edited on 9-2-2003 by Lalana]

Betheny
09-01-2003, 11:13 PM
DON'T POST IN MY THREAD POSER

Souzy
09-01-2003, 11:21 PM
Ummmm...do you own this site? Do you own the server? I can post anywhere I want and I'll sweetly post on this thread.

Bobmuhthol
09-01-2003, 11:29 PM
<<Ummmm...do you own this site? Do you own the server?>>

You got me. Foiled my master plan. I don't own the site or the server.

I own your soul.

Souzy
09-01-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
<<Ummmm...do you own this site? Do you own the server?>>

You got me. Foiled my master plan. I don't own the site or the server.

I own your soul.

Yes Bob, you own everyone's soul :rolleyes:

Taernath
09-02-2003, 12:26 PM
Kourdeliah sleepily exclaims, "Oh I'm so sorry I missed it!!!"

Pallon
09-02-2003, 05:18 PM
Kithus melodically asks, "Aubery tell me again why we permit any
stinking ape to walk freely in this town?"

Andrelian melodically says, "umm..."

Betheny
09-02-2003, 06:09 PM
I caught myself using a soft tone and telling someone off. Then again it wasn't like I was expecting dude to walk in and start blowing my limbs off. That's kind of my "Instant Nuke" button.

SpunGirl
09-02-2003, 07:03 PM
I answered the doorbell the other day and had this novice "seductively" asking me all these questions. She was a she.

I whispered to her that TONE should be used to fit the situation at hand, and she goes, "But so-and-so told me I was seductive!"

I firmly replied that there were different places for different tones.

She seductively told me to have a nice day.

-K, trying.

[Edited on 9-2-2003 by SpunGirl]

ravinlloonitik
09-02-2003, 07:43 PM
Haim Mairmara

Sweets
09-05-2003, 03:24 PM
Perritta (or something like that) darkly says 'Thank you very much'

Perritta smiles then playfully bites the person who casted on him.

He then proceeded to welcome his friends..tease them..hug them warmly..flirt and such in a dark tone.

I couldn't just ignore that. Everytime he said something my character snickered. It was completely ridiculous.

[Edited on 9-5-2003 by Sweets]

Sweets
09-05-2003, 03:28 PM
Edited it just after noticing.

Thanks for hopping all over that.

09-05-2003, 03:40 PM
>
[Censored] darkly says, "Thanks for saving me back there."
>"No problem.
You say, "No problem."
>
[Censored] darkly says, "I never much liked you until tonight. But I've come to see that you're a really great guy."
>
[Censored] hugs you.
>smile
You smile.
>
[Censored] darkly exclaims, "Let me take you to Helga's and buy you a beer!"
>tone dark
Your tone is now dark.
>"A dark beer?
You darkly ask, "A dark beer?"
>
[Censored] cackles!
>

Sweets
09-05-2003, 06:09 PM
That tickled me funny bone.:D

Red Devil
09-05-2003, 06:43 PM
[Fade in as Red Devil shoulders the Louisville Slugger..he seems to be searching for something intently...]

[Camera zooms in on what appears to be the rotting, maggot-infested, carrion laden carcass of a horse...Red Devil is seen off in the distance, striding toward the decomposing equine]

[Once again, fade in on the words 'Louisville Slugger' emblazoned on the side of the wooden bat....fade out as Red Devil approaches the carcass, a hint of disgust in his eyes....]

[With nary a forethought, Red Devil slams the bat down on the horse's skull, the sharp crack of splintering bone echoes as clotted blood and grey matter explode from the head]

[Red Devil smiles as he looks at his handiwork...uttering only one sentence to the thoroughly dead, beaten animal...]

"Stay the fuck down"

CrystalTears
09-05-2003, 07:40 PM
Censored to protect the innocent and desperate, eh? :P

Betheny
09-05-2003, 07:44 PM
This is a new thread, jackass, not an old one.

Durrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Red Devil
09-05-2003, 10:17 PM
Still doesn't change the fact that there is about 3 other tone folders somewhere in the thread history

HarmNone
09-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Since the title of the thread makes the subject crystal clear (no CrystalTears having been harmed), it should be easy to simply skip it. :)

HarmNone

Hips
09-06-2003, 09:26 PM
Sluggy warmly exclaims, "dang calcium!"
>
Sluggy raises his fist defiantly.

09-06-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by CrystalTears
Censored to protect the innocent and desperate, eh? :P

Well, the person's still a friend and I wouldn't wanna insult them. LoL.

SpunGirl
09-07-2003, 11:34 AM
Just to give the dead horse a few more whacks...

I was in Icemule TC tonight and this youngin' comes hurtling in. I didn't cut and paste, but it was like this:

Xyz MYSTERIOUSLY says, "i am bleeding"
Xyz MYSTERIOUSLY says, "can someone heal me please"
You say, "What's so mysterious about that?"

Then the kid logs out. Then this twitty little empath logs on and immediately starts chewing me out in whispers about how mean I am, and how maybe the person was "dieing" and didn't have time to change tones before begging for some healing.

THEN another empath shows up, and twitty empath logs out, only for "Mysterious" bleeder to log back in and get healed.

GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK.

It was idiot night in GS last night, they just forgot to put it on the calendar.

-K

Artha
09-07-2003, 11:44 AM
We should petition simu to remove the permanent tone setting option, and leave in just the ':tone message part.

Delyorik
09-08-2003, 02:38 AM
oral sex: the ultimate birth control.

So, you're saying you like birth control? Or just thinking out loud?

Xcalibur
09-09-2003, 06:09 PM
Tone should be one time used... you select tone and after the next phrase it reset to the normal one

People tend to forget, i had that proud tone and didn't noticed, even if sometimes i was just saying non-proud stuff..

Tone is evil, as all of the HSN stuff:cool:

Artha
09-09-2003, 06:15 PM
':tone sets it for just that message.

Weedmage Princess
09-09-2003, 07:58 PM
I disagree. Tone is a wonderful verb, just as it is. I'd like to see more tones added to the list, that's the only change to tone I'd like.

It's the morons who abuse it that should be removed. Not the verb itself.

Betheny
09-09-2003, 08:00 PM
It'd be better if you couldn't set a tone as permanent, and you had to use say :<tone> to use a tone.

Adhara
09-10-2003, 11:22 AM
I second the motion to remove the permanent tones and only go on a one-time basis. In fact I think I will write feedback a line about it. I will take some of the examples on this thread to illustrate the issue.

CrystalTears
09-10-2003, 12:22 PM
Aw, now that's not fair to the people who use it right. It's easier for me to just set my tone first and then talk, and then set it back to something else afterwards.

Adhara
09-10-2003, 01:15 PM
Crystal tears reminded me of why I do it like she does. Sometimes I change my tone by memory and I have in the past typed something like this:

say :quietly shhhhh

which should have been say :quiet. Of course it came out:

Adhara says, ":quietly shhhhh." which looked awful.

I try to remember that the tone name is used in the form of "a ... tone" therefore it should be quiet and not quietly but sometimes I forget or I can mispell the word too. Typos in words don't look as bad as mistyping the tone and having it show in your sentence.

That's why I change the tone with the tone verb and change it back like CT. Then it gives me a confirmation that my tone is good. So now I'm on the fence... I don't know if we should make it one time only or not... We just need to come up with a way to discourage/prevent the misuse of tone. It is a growing trend and is quickly becoming one of my GS pet peeves.

Like Tenderhand who says everything tenderly.... GGGgggrr!

Maybe we could do like someone above posted and allow the use of tone to change the tone but have it reset to none automatically after something is said? It would have the advantage of confirming that you set the tone right and would prevent the misuse.

Weedmage Princess
09-10-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by CrystalTears
Aw, now that's not fair to the people who use it right. It's easier for me to just set my tone first and then talk, and then set it back to something else afterwards.

Agreed. If my character is having an argument with someone, her tone will be angry.....I wouldn't want to type tone angry or whatever for everything I say during the argument. :thumbsdown:

Again, I say do away with the morons!!! (wishful thinking I know)

AnticorRifling
09-10-2003, 02:20 PM
I always use tone like this...

Tone sarc
Your tone is now sarcastic
'Wow that is so interesting.
tone 1
'Blah, blah, blah, blah

etc etc etc

I always change my tone like that.

CrystalTears
09-10-2003, 02:57 PM
I do it that way primarily so that I don't mess up the sentence and the tone. I don't always remember the tones right off the top of my head (yes I know about the list) so setting the tone first makes me feel better knowing that it's set already, then I can talk freely until my tone changes. Doing it with every sentence is a bit too much, especially if you DO envision your character to always have a sweet, tired, warm, etc sounding voice.

The ones who use it wrong should be spoken to, but there won't be a way to convey that well except through discussions like this.