PDA

View Full Version : Screw you Hurricane Jeanne

Drew
09-25-2004, 11:55 AM
I'm evacuating (again), hope everyone else in south and central florida are staying safe, good luck.

xtc
09-25-2004, 11:56 AM
Florida has been battered this year. Good Luck

Kitsun
09-25-2004, 12:14 PM
Should plan an extended vacation until all of these suckers blow over.

Stay safe!

HarmNone
09-25-2004, 12:24 PM
Good luck, Drew. I hope you can come back to an undamaged home. Poor Florida has really taken a beating this year. :(

Betheny
09-25-2004, 12:25 PM
Man, why don't you just... move? LOL.

What do you do when you evacuate -- is there some kind of insurance you can get?

Psykos
09-25-2004, 12:54 PM
No insurance sadly, besides regular homeowners insurance. After Andrew hit Miami and Homested a few years back insurance companies really changed their policies concerning NATURAL disasters. They like to highlight that word.

Psykos

Blazing247
09-25-2004, 01:21 PM
I don't get it. If I knew something was going to come every year or so and blow my house down, try to kill me, and generally fuck up my life for a few months out of the year, I don't think I'd live there and wait for it to happen again.

It's like the people who live in Tornado Valley and are so surprised when their mobile home gets blown away. I mean come on, duh.

Drew
09-25-2004, 02:27 PM
Well I haven't left my house yet, I may not period. Homeowners insurance in Florida is near impossible to get (full coverage) especially if you live on the beach like we do.

Anyway, I'd rather live in Florida where I know hurricanes are coming for weeks rather then deal with more spontaneous disasters like torandoes, earthquakes, floods, etc. where you don't have a lot of warning.

Kitsun
09-25-2004, 02:31 PM
Houses should be made out of 2 foot thick cement blocks and build it low and deep on high hills there. Why build it tall and flimsey so you have to rebuild it every year? Make a damn bunker.

Marl
09-25-2004, 03:29 PM
Weather this bad doesn't happen every year, this is the worst year for hurricanes I have seen yet. When(if) you evacuate come straight up 75 and hit exit 216, I will feed you :grin:

Drew
09-25-2004, 03:38 PM
If it gets bad I was thinking of going to Naples, where is 216, Miami?

<Houses should be made out of 2 foot thick cement blocks and build it low and deep on high hills there.>

What's a hill? The highest evalation in the Miami-Dade, Broward and West Palm Beach is something like 15 or 20 feet (besides Mount Trashmore, the dump)

Marl
09-25-2004, 10:10 PM
heh, 216=Georgia, exactally 216 miles from the border, did not know how big of an evac they were having this time. Frances had em piled in at the hotels.

Jazuela
09-26-2004, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Drew
If it gets bad I was thinking of going to Naples, where is 216, Miami?

<Houses should be made out of 2 foot thick cement blocks and build it low and deep on high hills there.>

What's a hill? The highest evalation in the Miami-Dade, Broward and West Palm Beach is something like 15 or 20 feet (besides Mount Trashmore, the dump)

Heh yeah and that high elevation is the Florida's Turnpike stretch over Plantation, in Unincorporated Broward off State Road 7.

As for bunkers, that requires earth to dig into. Florida is a man-made state built on sand. Prior to its creation, it was nothing but a little lump sticking out of Georgia and swampland. Everything is already JUST barely above sea level. If they were to dig to create bunkers they'd end up with a bunker full of seawater. That's why most houses in the southern half of the state don't have basements.

Zentoph
09-26-2004, 04:11 AM
Yeah. A few years ago (I can't specifically remember..) when we were having a pretty bad drought in Pinellas County, you could dig 5 feet deep and have a trickle of water come up. Right now, with all the rain we've had lately, pretty much all the ground seeps water where you walk, or 1-2 feet down.

Drew
09-26-2004, 02:02 PM
Well I made it out alive, I stayed at my house, I went out during the storm in what turned out to be the worst squall, the winds were about 80 miles an hour. It was pretty intense, but at least this time our power only went off for about 12 hours.

Betheny
09-26-2004, 02:03 PM
Well I made it out alive, I stayed at my house, I went out during the storm in what turned out to be the worst squall, the winds were about 80 miles an hour. It was pretty intense, but at least this time our power only went off for about 12 hours.

I'm glad you're okay... poor guy.

Hurricanes are the suck.

Your stuff get damaged at all?

HarmNone
09-26-2004, 02:34 PM
I'm glad things turned out okay for you, Drew. Hopefully, this will be the last one, dammit!

Latrinsorm
09-26-2004, 04:04 PM
I went out during the storm in what turned out to be the worst squallUh, I'm glad you're ok and everything, but why would you do that?

Drew
09-26-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Maimara

Your stuff get damaged at all?

Actually, even though this one was worse than the first the only real loss was my basketball hoop (which is big because I play ball every day, but it's not like it's something that will be really hard to replace), no one got hurt and that's what really matters.

Drew
09-26-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm

I went out during the storm in what turned out to be the worst squallUh, I'm glad you're ok and everything, but why would you do that?

Haha, good point, I just wanted to see what it was like, I looked out and nothing was flying around, I wanted to see what it was like out there, it was a rush.