PDA

View Full Version : This teacher deserves a medal...why was she fired?

Tgo01
05-07-2014, 02:21 PM
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/25435501/detroit-teacher-fired-after-breaking-up-fight-with-broom

DETROIT (WJBK) - A Detroit teacher has been fired after a cell phone video surfaced of her breaking up a fight between two students with a broom.

In the video, the two male students are fighting for at least half a minute before the teacher intervenes. Several students can be seen standing by as the two fight, knocking over desks.

When the teacher does intervene, she appears to strike one of the students on the back with a broom multiple times. The student backs off, but then the other student runs back towards him and the fight continues.

The fight finally appears to end up when a student steps in and pulls the two apart. The video ends moments later.

Now, the Pershing High School teacher is out of a job as the school district says it does not tolerate child abuse.

Pershing is part of the Education Achievement Authority, the state's school turnaround district. The EAA district does not have a union so the teacher has no ground to file an appeal.

Keith Johnson, President of the Detroit Federation of Teachers, tells FOX 2's Maurielle Lue he believes the teacher was wrong for using a broom, although he understands her motive. "Unfortunately, the method that she used, in terms of swatting one with a broom, is a violation of the corporal punishment provision under the Michigan school code. But she's caught in a quandary because under that same code she's expected to do what is necessary to diffuse a situation," he says.

A representative from Pershing's communication's office says teachers were instructed during orientation to call for security on a walkie talkie during such situations. FOX 2 has learned this teacher's walkie talkie wasn't working.

Kiren Lowery, one of the students admittedly fighting in the cell phone video, says the fired teacher was one of his favorites but that he does not feel responsible for her termination. He thinks she should have waited for security to come.

I love the piece of shit who started the fight. "I don't feel responsible for her being fired because she should have waited for security to come and break up the fight I started, therefore I think she got what she deserved."

What, and all he deserved for beating another student mercilessly is being suspended for 10 days? What a joke.

diethx
05-07-2014, 02:33 PM
That teacher does not deserve a medal. I think if her walkie talkie was not working, she should've gone to the next room and called for help from another teacher. That student was not responsible for her firing; he did not force her to do what she did. He was responsible for being a douche kid who got into a fight with another kid, as kids often do, but that's about it.

Latrinsorm
05-07-2014, 02:36 PM
a cell phone video surfacedHmm...

Why was she fired? "The EAA district does not have a union so the teacher has no ground to file an appeal."

Solidarity forever!
Solidarity forever!
Solidarity forever!
For the union keeps us strong!

AnticorRifling
05-07-2014, 02:37 PM
That teacher does not deserve a medal. I think if her walkie talkie was not working, she should've gone to the next room and called for help from another teacher. That student was not responsible for her firing; he did not force her to do what she did. He was responsible for being a douche kid who got into a fight with another kid, as kids often do, but that's about it.

Leaving the room while a fight is going on...yeah that's an excellent idea and nothing bad could come of that.

Johnny Five
05-07-2014, 02:38 PM
I think she should have took them and paddled the shit out of them.
http://www.homeschooldiaries.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Wooden-Paddle.jpg

Tgo01
05-07-2014, 02:44 PM
she should've gone to the next room and called for help from another teacher.

She would have been fired for leaving the room while a fight was going on.

Johnny Five
05-07-2014, 02:45 PM
She would have been fired for leaving the room while a fight was going on.

She should have took bets, at least that way she could have made some money.

diethx
05-07-2014, 02:50 PM
Then maybe she should've made sure that her walkie talkie was working each morning. Who knows. But what she did was not appropriate. I don't necessarily agree she deserved a firing, either. Maybe all of her options sucked, but she doesn't deserve a medal.

Tisket
05-07-2014, 02:50 PM
I'd give her a medal.

Tisket
05-07-2014, 02:52 PM
And this just reminds me of one of my pet peeves. These kind of incidents shouldn't rely on someone using a cell phone to capture the moment...there should be fucking cameras in every classroom in America.

Put the cameras in a school and hire one security guard to monitor them in a live feed.

/Latrinsorm

Tgo01
05-07-2014, 02:55 PM
She should have took bets, at least that way she could have made some money.

In retrospect that might have been her best course of action.

Then maybe she should've made sure that her walkie talkie was working each morning. Who knows. But what she did was not appropriate. I don't necessarily agree she deserved a firing, either. Maybe all of her options sucked, but she doesn't deserve a medal.

Okay maybe not a medal but at least a gold star.

there should be fucking cameras in every classroom in America.

I hate to agree with Latrin but I think this is a good idea. Although a fucking camera in a class room sounds a bit too risque; I think a security camera in each room would be a better option.

Parkbandit
05-07-2014, 02:57 PM
The mother (I'm guessing) who was pointing out where the broom marks were on the kid's back needs to be whacked in the face a few hundred times with the broom.

She's excusing his behavior and making him out to be the victim.

Tisket
05-07-2014, 02:57 PM
I hate to agree with Latrin but I think this is a good idea. Although a fucking camera in a class room sounds a bit too risque; I think a security camera in each room would be a better option.

Killjoy.

poloneus
05-07-2014, 02:58 PM

Yeah I'm going to take a leap of faith here and say you've never had to break up a fight. Watch the video. Either one of those kids could have been seriously injured or died in that fight. So in a split second decision that ultimately could determine life and death you walk out of the room?

Tgo01
05-07-2014, 03:00 PM
To be fair I think anyone working in a school in Detroit deserves a medal.

Anebriated
05-07-2014, 03:07 PM
Yes, she was definitely wrong for using a broom. She should have used a bat...

On a serious note teaching is a dieing profession because of the ridiculous hoops they are forced to jump through these days. They are glorified babysitters in todays world and its really a shame that this is what it has come to.

AnticorRifling
05-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Yes, she was definitely wrong for using a broom. She should have used a bat...

On a serious note teaching is a dieing profession because of the ridiculous hoops they are forced to jump through these days. They are glorified babysitters in todays world and its really a shame that this is what it has come to.

Yup.

Hey why aren't you raising my kids for me?!!!

Tgo01
05-07-2014, 03:15 PM

The mother (I'm guessing) who was pointing out where the broom marks were on the kid's back needs to be whacked in the face a few hundred times with the broom.

She's excusing his behavior and making him out to be the victim.

The mother should be on TV explaining why she failed to properly raise her son instead of telling everyone about her poor son's supposed ouchies. She can't even point to one wound her son has from the brutal broom beating; instead all she says is "He had one um, right here, and he had um one right here I think and um he had one right here."

He had one what? HAD ONE WHAT?! A scar? A blister? An open wound? A cracked bone? What? No one told this lady how to properly sue a school district, pictures woman, pictures!

waywardgs
05-07-2014, 03:26 PM
I blame the broom.

waywardgs
05-07-2014, 03:27 PM
To be fair I think anyone working in a school in Detroit deserves a medal.

X2

Anebriated
05-07-2014, 03:33 PM
Yup.

your mistakes, not mine :D

both of my parents were teachers though. My dad was private school, started as woodshop teacher and retired as the assistant headmaster. My mom was public high school in Upper Darby(shit hole district just outside of Philadelphia) in the special ed department. Ill just say this, if you plan on being a teacher do not go to public schools, steer clear of inner cities and definitely stay out of special education.

Johnny Five
05-07-2014, 03:36 PM
DETROIT. Fuck a broom she should have used one of these..
http://defense-update.com/images/taserx26.gif

Johnny Five
05-07-2014, 03:38 PM
your mistakes, not mine :D

both of my parents were teachers though. My dad was private school, started as woodshop teacher and retired as the assistant headmaster. My mom was public high school in Upper Darby(shit hole district just outside of Philadelphia) in the special ed department. Ill just say this, if you plan on being a teacher do not go to public schools, steer clear of inner cities and definitely stay out of special education.

Both of your parents are teachers and you post like that? You must have saddened them. :(

Gelston
05-07-2014, 03:40 PM
When brooms become criminalized only criminals will have brooms.

Anebriated
05-07-2014, 03:43 PM
Both of your parents are teachers and you post like that? You must have saddened them. :(

I know its hard to fathom but some people are able to be professional when need be and not give a shit/be lazy when they are on the internet. You gave a good effort but it ultimately fell short.

Johnny Five
05-07-2014, 03:44 PM
I know its hard to fathom but some people are able to be professional when need be and not give a shit/be lazy when they are on the internet. You gave a good effort but it ultimately fell short.

This response saddens me :(.

Anebriated
05-07-2014, 03:45 PM
This response saddens me :(.

I am sorry for your pain. Hopefully you are able to make it through the rest of the day.

Latrinsorm
05-07-2014, 03:47 PM
I hate to agree with Latrin but I think this is a good idea. Although a fucking camera in a class room sounds a bit too risque; I think a security camera in each room would be a better option.I approve of your agreement and your wordplay.
I blame the broom.When will Washington get off its butt and ban assault sweepers?

Jarvan
05-07-2014, 03:47 PM
I'd give her a medal.

I'd give her a medal, then reprimand her for not beating the kids harder. We need to bring back corporal punishment. little Johnny doesn't give a shit if he gets suspended for 10 days for beating a kid. But I bet little Johnny would not be so likely to beat another kid if his ass was paddled to the point it hurt to sit down. NO ONE ever died of a sore ass.

AnticorRifling
05-07-2014, 03:52 PM
I'd give her a medal, then reprimand her for not beating the kids harder. We need to bring back corporal punishment. little Johnny doesn't give a shit if he gets suspended for 10 days for beating a kid. But I bet little Johnny would not be so likelyt o beat another kid if his ass was paddled to the point it hurt to sit down. NO ONE ever died of a sore ass.

Google would probably disagree but that's not something I want to check while at work.

Johnny Five
05-07-2014, 03:54 PM
Google would probably disagree but that's not something I want to check while at work.

I typed in School Paddle to get that picture up top and yeah... there was some interesting images...

Jarvan
05-07-2014, 03:55 PM
When will Washington get off its butt and ban assault sweepers?

This broom was blue, not black, and I did not see any attachments or extended segments, so I don't think it would qualify.

AnticorRifling
05-07-2014, 03:56 PM
This broom was blue, not black, and I did not see any attachments or extended segments, so I don't think it would qualify.

http://origincache-frc.fbcdn.net/915427_1474396536124927_2105368460_a.jpg

Jarvan
05-07-2014, 03:57 PM

If you can find proof of someone dying from getting their ass paddled I Will give you a gold star.

On a second note... my damn space bar seems to be not working so well. Grrr

Gelston
05-07-2014, 03:59 PM
Well, a spanking...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/30/2-year-old-texas-girl-dies-spanking/

Jarvan
05-07-2014, 04:00 PM
http://origincache-frc.fbcdn.net/915427_1474396536124927_2105368460_a.jpg

The brook is brown. The attachments are black. Tho, it still qualifies as 2 out of 3 things are there.

This included semi-automatic rifles with a detachable magazine and at least two of these features: a pistol grip, a folding or telescoping stock, a flash suppressor or threaded barrel, a bayonet mount, or a muzzle-mounted grenade launcher.

Could be a telescoping stock.

Jarvan
05-07-2014, 04:02 PM
Well, a spanking...

"An autopsy was performed on the girl the next day. The deputy medical examiner noticed several bruises on the victim’s head, face, back, buttocks, chest and arms. The injuries were greatest in the head and buttocks region according to the arrest affidavit. The preliminary cause of death was ruled to be blunt force injuries."

Yeah.. hitting a 2 year old's head doesn't count as spanking their ass.

Thondalar
05-07-2014, 04:04 PM
Well, a spanking...

"An autopsy was performed on the girl the next day. The deputy medical examiner noticed several bruises on the victim’s head, face, back, buttocks, chest and arms. The injuries were greatest in the head and buttocks region according to the arrest affidavit. The preliminary cause of death was ruled to be blunt force injuries."

That's not a spanking, bro.

Gelston
05-07-2014, 04:04 PM
http://www.therecord.com/news-story/2612755-stepfather-guilty-in-spanking-death-of-four-year-old-girl/

Okay, okay, he spanked her so hard she flew into something.

poloneus
05-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Ill just say this, if you plan on being a teacher do not go to public schools, steer clear of inner cities and definitely stay out of special education.

I know plenty of people that fit all of your job descriptions that are very happy and feel very satisfied that they are doing good work and helping children. And they love going to work every day.

Thondalar
05-07-2014, 04:06 PM
http://www.therecord.com/news-story/2612755-stepfather-guilty-in-spanking-death-of-four-year-old-girl/

Okay, okay, he spanked her so hard she flew into something.

Ok, quit posting these. I'm going to go to work really pissed off now.

Latrinsorm
05-07-2014, 04:10 PM
I know its hard to fathom but some people are able to be professional when need be and not give a shit/be lazy when they are on the internet. You gave a good effort but it ultimately fell short.Why would it be hard to fathom, because he's an artificial person? Racist.

Gelston
05-07-2014, 04:10 PM
Ok, quit posting these. I'm going to go to work really pissed off now.

What about the 8 year old that was spanked over 1000 times and then got his dads gun and shot him?

AnticorRifling
05-07-2014, 04:11 PM
That dude needs to go to prison so he can be spanked until he chokes on something and dies.

Parkbandit
05-07-2014, 04:17 PM

https://31.media.tumblr.com/45598088d98826bd5fcf3c28a488e2b1/tumblr_inline_n3f3uoofmE1suxuut.gif

Gelston
05-07-2014, 04:18 PM
CRABMAN!

Parkbandit
05-07-2014, 04:19 PM
That dude needs to go to prison so he can be spanked until he chokes on something and dies.
https://31.media.tumblr.com/45598088d98826bd5fcf3c28a488e2b1/tumblr_inline_n3f3uoofmE1suxuut.gif

AnticorRifling
05-07-2014, 04:24 PM
What about the 8 year old that was spanked over 1000 times and then got his dads gun and shot him?

How did he get the gun?!

Taernath
05-07-2014, 04:25 PM
If she had been armed she could have fired off a warning shot!

Anebriated
05-07-2014, 04:27 PM
I know plenty of people that fit all of your job descriptions that are very happy and feel very satisfied that they are doing good work and helping children. And they love going to work every day.

I'm not trying to say the work isn't rewarding and cant be done. Just pointing out that the changes in the regulations of special education(at least in PA) are heading in the wrong direction and the increasing spotlight on the teachers and their ability to control students coupled with the students disregard for anyone in a position of authority leads to a very tight rope for teachers to walk. I have the utmost respect for those that do the work however I am in no way surprised that fewer people are going into the teaching profession as the years go on.

Gelston
05-07-2014, 04:27 PM
How did he get the gun?!

I don't think the father was very mature and/or responsible in the first place.

AnticorRifling
05-07-2014, 04:28 PM
Unless parents step up and raise their kids I think we're going to see a shortage of teachers in the not too distant future.

Anebriated
05-07-2014, 04:33 PM
Why would it be hard to fathom, because he's an artificial person? Racist.

Calling me a racist would imply that I cared that he is silver in color when in fact it is that as a being with AI there is supposed to be the 'I' part of the acronym in his responses.

Anebriated
05-07-2014, 04:35 PM
Unless parents step up and raise their kids I think we're going to see a shortage of teachers in the not too distant future.

Unfortunately this has already begun. Private schools and quality districts are not having shortages yet but undesirable areas are currently suffering from the lack of new applicants.

Jarvan
05-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Unfortunately this has already begun. Private schools and quality districts are not having shortages yet but undesirable areas are currently suffering from the lack of new applicants.

Which is why there are school districts that will pay off your student loans if you work there as a teacher for x amount of years. And you still get paid.

Anebriated
05-07-2014, 04:51 PM
Which is why there are school districts that will pay off your student loans if you work there as a teacher for x amount of years. And you still get paid.

And what happens when they start losing the funding for that perk?

Tgo01
05-07-2014, 04:55 PM
And what happens when they start losing the funding for that perk?

http://www.marchandmeffre.com/detroit/18.jpg

Silvean
05-07-2014, 05:49 PM
I was a public high school teacher for a few years and my training was focused on "urban education." I once went to a job interview on the day before school started and the classroom looked like someone had tossed a grenade in there. The post-apocalyptic photo above bears a strong resemblance.

I broke up the occasional hallway fight but I never hit anyone with a broom. I would expect some serious repercussions for swinging a weapon at a student. Even with a 0x broom and no training, that's still a different sort of action than trying to pull one student off of another.

poloneus
05-07-2014, 07:58 PM
I was a public high school teacher for a few years and my training was focused on "urban education." I once went to a job interview on the day before school started and the classroom looked like someone had tossed a grenade in there. The post-apocalyptic photo above bears a strong resemblance.

I broke up the occasional hallway fight but I never hit anyone with a broom. I would expect some serious repercussions for swinging a weapon at a student. Even with a 0x broom and no training, that's still a different sort of action than trying to pull one student off of another.

Watch the video

Warriorbird
05-07-2014, 08:04 PM
And this just reminds me of one of my pet peeves. These kind of incidents shouldn't rely on someone using a cell phone to capture the moment...there should be fucking cameras in every classroom in America.

Put the cameras in a school and hire one security guard to monitor them in a live feed.

/Latrinsorm

My kids behaved spectacularly better while filmed for a documentary this year. I suggested we have a "documentary" every year. They love to videotape people but freak out when they themselves are taped.

I also assign a lot more in class writing than the past since the academic honesty figure is like 10%. They did better on that when filmed too.

Up with Educationsorm.