PDA

View Full Version : Taking God Out of the Air Force

ClydeR
05-05-2014, 08:52 PM
The US Air Force Academy oath section that ends with “so help me God” is now optional.

More... (http://www.inquisitr.com/1008215/air-force-academy-oath-so-help-me-god-becomes-optional/)

We've become the best Air First in the world with God in our oath. Why mess with success?

cwolff
05-05-2014, 09:00 PM
We've become the best Air First in the world with God in our oath. Why mess with success?

“Here at the academy, we work to build a culture of dignity and respect, and that respect includes the ability of our cadets, airmen and civilian airmen to freely practice and exercise their religious preference — or not. So, in the spirit of respect, cadets may or may not choose to finish the honor oath with ‘so help me God.’ ”
Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1008215/air-force-academy-oath-so-help-me-god-becomes-optional/#1S5WHKkm567xrBHQ.99

I wonder how far one can go to freely practice and exercise his or her religious preference. Can you say "So help me Allah" or exclaim "Brahma H. Vishnu!" to lend the oath the full commitment of your religious belief?

It has always amazed me that our military is so religious; specifically so Judeo-Christian. It was almost unquestioned when I was in from not being able to have Atheist on my dog tags to being told that in MCT that if I didn't go to either Catholic or Regular service on a Sunday then I'd have to dig holes while everyone else worshiped.

Taernath
05-05-2014, 09:14 PM
So help me, Flying Spaghetti Monster.

It has always amazed me that our military is so religious; specifically so Judeo-Christian. It was almost unquestioned when I was in from not being able to have Atheist on my dog tags to being told that in MCT that if I didn't go to either Catholic or Regular service on a Sunday then I'd have to dig holes while everyone else worshiped.

Hey, me too. We had an Evangelical church that hosted a barbecue every few months that recruits were allowed to go to with no DS supervision, the only requirement being that you had to attend their worship service. If you didn't go, you had to do post/barracks maintenance all day. It was a pretty good setup the church had going on there with a captive audience of mostly young, impressionable, homesick kids away from home for the first time. At the end of service they had a one-on-one hard sell session with everyone that came through, trying to get you to join their congregation. I thought it was kind of weird at the time but now I just wonder how they managed to get it set up. It was firmly in the Bible Belt though (Ft. Leonard Wood).

inb4 barracks maintenance vs. a barbecue is a real choice

Here's some more info (http://militaryatheists.org/fda.html). It was called Free Day Away, and I guess it was shut down in 2009.

Drylec
05-05-2014, 09:24 PM
It's a travesty that "so help me God" was ever in the oath.

Everyone knows things just get worse with religion like charities, soup kitchens, hospitals, helping the homeless, The Red Cross, Christmas.

If you all want to rid yourself of this evil word and everything associated with it then I suggest you send all of your dollar bills to me so you never have to see that icky word ever again.

But please only 5s and up, you can keep your singles.

waywardgs
05-05-2014, 10:07 PM
I prefer ClydeR.

cwolff
05-05-2014, 10:12 PM
I prefer ClydeR.

It adds an extra syllable. Makes ClydeR sound so wordy. If we lower cased the r it might roll off the tongue better. Kind of like Cider with an L.

waywardgs
05-05-2014, 10:30 PM
It adds an extra syllable. Makes ClydeR sound so wordy. If we lower cased the r it might roll off the tongue better. Kind of like Cider with an L.

I mean I prefer ClydeR to this Drylec anagram :)

cwolff
05-05-2014, 10:31 PM
I mean I prefer ClydeR to this Drylec anagram :)

HAHAHA! That's great. I didn't even notice that. Now the crazy avatar makes sense.

~Rocktar~
05-05-2014, 10:50 PM
Maybe with the Air Force's recent direction toward space warfare and focusing on space borne threats it should end with "So say we all"

http://youtu.be/B3EzRAgjo_s

Delcry
05-05-2014, 11:08 PM
We would be best served by eliminating all Christianity from all forms of government the way our founding fathers crafted our nation.