PDA

View Full Version : Smart Car Tipping

Dayko
04-14-2014, 10:11 AM
This has got to be the most hilarious prank of the year :clap:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/08/us/smart-car-flipping-san-francisco/

http://blog.sfgate.com/stew/2014/04/07/smart-car-tipping-the-history-of-a-prank-trend/

Parkbandit
04-14-2014, 10:48 AM
This has got to be the most hilarious prank of the year :clap:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/08/us/smart-car-flipping-san-francisco/

http://blog.sfgate.com/stew/2014/04/07/smart-car-tipping-the-history-of-a-prank-trend/

Bitches please.

We balanced a Volkswagen bug on 2 metal posts in college WITHOUT causing the car any damage.

This is childs play in comparison.

Allereli
04-14-2014, 10:50 AM
Destruction of property is SOOOO cool

Taernath
04-14-2014, 10:57 AM
7 (4 of which the other week) + "some more" over a decade and several countries = a trend?

LAAAATRIIIIIIINESTOOOOOOOORM!

Latrinsorm
04-14-2014, 01:52 PM
Indeed! Dave Barry has a clever bit (http://books.google.com/books?id=g7RMmsc_yg8C&pg=PT103&lpg=PT103&dq=dave+barry+trend+editor&source=bl&ots=JMic8EooL9&sig=XL8PgQluA6VFXX6jSY4S3-dEyBI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=GCBMU7PREIjg0QHIrIHYDQ&ved=0CDkQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=dave%20barry%20trend%20editor&f=false) about that very phenomenon.

Ker_Thwap
04-14-2014, 02:00 PM
How the fuck does anyone find this hilarious? What a bunch of cowards.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
04-14-2014, 03:32 PM
The smart cars made fun of the not smart cars and had it coming.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
04-14-2014, 03:35 PM
On a serious note, no it's not "funny" in the sense someone's personal property is getting damaged. But... I have these daydreams when I'm driving whenever I see a smart car about running it over with my giant gas guzzling pickup truck. Again, not necessarily funny, but personally I chuckle whenever I think about it.

Someone should offer counseling to the owners of the bullied smart cars.

cwolff
04-14-2014, 03:36 PM
How the fuck does anyone find this hilarious? What a bunch of cowards.

On a serious note, no it's not "funny" in the sense someone's personal property is getting damaged. But... I have these daydreams when I'm driving whenever I see a smart car about running it over with my giant gas guzzling pickup truck. Again, not necessarily funny, but personally I chuckle whenever I think about it.

I definitely got a chuckle out of it. Have you seen the show Silicon Valley?

kutter
04-14-2014, 03:44 PM
All I could think of is the idiocy of when I see a smart car or a prius or other hybrid, supposedly eco friendly car driving down the highway at 85 mph and think, doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of buying a fuel efficient vehicle when you haul ass down the interstate?

They are roller skates and really unstable at speed, having said that, it is still messed up that they are screwing with someones car, even if it is a smart car.

Back
04-14-2014, 03:57 PM

Everytime I see a Hummer or giant gas guzzler I think "what an asshole." So I guess it goes both ways. And no I don't own a Smart car.

I think the bullies need more counseling than the bullied

subzero
04-14-2014, 04:01 PM
I laughed when I heard about this the other day.

Ceyrin
04-14-2014, 04:35 PM

I always imagine them popping a wheelie.

Keller
04-14-2014, 04:43 PM
Can someone explain to me, like I am 32 year old with a job, a family, and a house, why this is funny?

Dayko
04-14-2014, 04:46 PM
I just find it hilarious, because people have the time to do something incredibly this stupid to send what message?

cwolff
04-14-2014, 04:51 PM
Can someone explain to me, like I am 32 year old with a job, a family, and a house, why this is funny?

Don't be such a prude! This shits funny. They're like clown cars for God's sakes.

I just find it hilarious, because people have the time to do something incredibly this stupid to send what message?

They are bitching about gentrification. The locals are pissed because all these guys with Silicon Valley money are moving in and pricing them out of the neighborhood. The smart car is the tangible symbol of their grievance, hence, they flip 'em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Rntm3yDAQuM

Thondalar
04-14-2014, 04:52 PM

The same reason "the knock-out game" is funny to some.

I blame it on people not raising their kids right anymore.

subzero
04-14-2014, 05:00 PM

Same reason you might laugh when you see someone falls down some stairs? It's not funny, but it is.

Latrinsorm
04-14-2014, 05:01 PM

I blame it on people not raising their kids right anymore.I have a game we can play. Go to this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incidents_of_civil_unrest_in_the_United_St ates
Do a ctrl-f for "massacre". Enjoy!

subzero
04-14-2014, 05:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH8wDkqA_50

Suppa Hobbit Mage
04-14-2014, 05:12 PM

I think this picture is funny. Like I said before, the act of damaging someone else's property, not funny.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
04-14-2014, 05:15 PM
Everytime I see a Hummer or giant gas guzzler I think "what an asshole." So I guess it goes both ways. And no I don't own a Smart car.

I think the bullies need more counseling than the bullied

I don't know how I'll live with myself, but somehow, I'll go on.

Thondalar
04-14-2014, 05:16 PM
I have a game we can play. Go to this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incidents_of_civil_unrest_in_the_United_St ates
Do a ctrl-f for "massacre". Enjoy!

I'm not sure I follow you here. What does juvenile delinquents damaging others' property have to do with John Brown and some abolitionists killing pro-slavery settlers? Or the Pennsylvania Militia firing into a crowd of rioters? Or striking miners being shot by a Sheriff's Posse?

I stopped reading after that because I couldn't make a connection.

Gelston
04-14-2014, 05:17 PM

I blame it on people not raising their kids right anymore.

That game only existed in as much the media said it did.

Tisket
04-14-2014, 05:19 PM
Don't be such a prude! This shits funny. They're like clown cars for God's sakes.

There will be people in the world who hate any kind of car you care to name. Does that it make it okay for them to come flip your Dodge Dart? Or whatever piece of shit it is that you drive.

Allereli
04-14-2014, 05:31 PM
That game only existed in as much the media said it did.

there were a number of attacks not far from my office

Parkbandit
04-14-2014, 05:37 PM
There will be people in the world who hate any kind of car you care to name. Does that it make it okay for them to come flip your Dodge Dart? Or whatever piece of shit it is that you drive.

Dodge Dart.

LOL.

Parkbandit
04-14-2014, 05:37 PM

I agree. I don't find it funny at all.

SHAFT
04-14-2014, 05:40 PM
I agree. I don't find it funny at all.

Nothing funny about it. It's one of those things you think about in your head when you see a Smartcar, but to actually do it is another thing.

Tisket
04-14-2014, 05:40 PM
Dodge Dart.

LOL.

I don't know cars and I just grabbed that out of the air. Maybe they are collectible now? Or maybe it was never considered a piece of shit? Regardless, I'm sure cwulf has a piece of shit car.

cwolff
04-14-2014, 05:41 PM
You guys are being way to self-righteous. If it weren't common to laugh at shit like this there wouldn't be a word for it. Probably no Three Stooges either. In the words of the great Drill Sergeant, "lighten up Francis".

Tisket
04-14-2014, 05:43 PM
You guys are being way to self-righteous. If it weren't common to laugh at shit like this there wouldn't be a word for it. Probably no Three Stooges either. In the words of the great Drill Sergeant, "lighten up Francis".

What are you, five? Jesus, grow the fuck up.

There's a name for people who have no empathy or respect for others.

SHAFT
04-14-2014, 05:44 PM

Imagine owning a vehicle like this and having someone tip it over. You could damage the engine and of course you have the paint job damage.

You don't fuck with other people's vehicles. I don't care if it is a Smartcar.

Tgo01
04-14-2014, 05:47 PM
I'm no car expert but wouldn't this prank cause all sorts of damage? I don't think cars are designed to sit on their back bumper like that.

Latrinsorm
04-14-2014, 05:47 PM
I'm not sure I follow you here. What does juvenile delinquents damaging others' property have to do with John Brown and some abolitionists killing pro-slavery settlers? Or the Pennsylvania Militia firing into a crowd of rioters? Or striking miners being shot by a Sheriff's Posse?

I stopped reading after that because I couldn't make a connection.Child-rearing is the best now that it has ever been. In fact, it is so much better that your reaction to apparently egregious cases would make past generations think of you as hysterical. Forget it, Thondy, you've got no frame of reference.

Latrinsorm
04-14-2014, 05:48 PM

There's a name for people who have no empathy or respect for others.Republicans?

Goodnight everyone!

Tisket
04-14-2014, 05:50 PM
Republicans?

Goodnight everyone!

lol

Tgo01
04-14-2014, 05:51 PM
Also who would you call in this situation? Would a tow truck be able to get the car down? Do you call the local weight lifting club? He-Man?

cwolff
04-14-2014, 05:51 PM
It's getting Smug up in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMTkedIUX8U

Wrathbringer
04-14-2014, 05:53 PM
Republicans?

Goodnight everyone!

Hahahahahahaha

Edit: Also, only retarded people think car tipping is funny. And by that, I mean Dayko is retarded.

Back
04-14-2014, 05:56 PM
Republicans?

Goodnight everyone!

ROFL!

Tisket
04-14-2014, 05:56 PM

If pointing out that you are a juvenile jackass who thinks property damage is funny means I am smug, then yes, I am.

SHAFT
04-14-2014, 06:07 PM

I've had people fuck with my businesses before and it isn't pleasant. Broken windows, stolen goods, people coming in through the ceiling like Spider-Man.... That kind of shit will ruin your day.

Dayko
04-14-2014, 06:09 PM
To the person who neg repped me: "Grow up"

I'm laughing at the rebellious stupidity that's going on with these car tippings, don't act like you've never laughed at something so stupid before.

(Laughing at me does not count) :)

cwolff
04-14-2014, 06:09 PM
I've had people fuck with my businesses before and it isn't pleasant. Broken windows, stolen goods, people coming in through the ceiling like Spider-Man.... That kind of shit will ruin your day.

Yes of course it will. No one is saying that's fun or wishing it on you.

cwolff
04-14-2014, 06:10 PM
To the person who neg repped me: "Grow up"

I'm laughing at the rebellious stupidity that's going on with these car tippings, don't act like you've never laughed at something so stupid before.

(Laughing at me does not count) :)

Oh the irony. I will send you anonymous hate on the internet expressing my displeasure with your level of maturity! People are crazy.

SHAFT
04-14-2014, 06:13 PM
Yes of course it will. No one is saying that's fun or wishing it on you.

So you can understand the sympathy for the owners of the vehicles. Not a matter of being smug at all.

cwolff
04-14-2014, 06:22 PM
So you can understand the sympathy for the owners of the vehicles. Not a matter of being smug at all.

I'm not a big fan of sympathy in general but I can empathize with them. It would suck to come out and see your car standing on end. I still think it's pretty funny. Those cars look like they were put up in the bike rack. Grow a funny bone. Not everything is life and death.

Thondalar
04-14-2014, 06:32 PM
Child-rearing is the best now that it has ever been.

Odd for a scientist to make such a statement. I'm wondering what data brought you to this conclusion.

In fact, it is so much better that your reaction to apparently egregious cases would make past generations think of you as hysterical.

I can't think of a more "apples to oranges" scenario, on many levels. Where to begin? I'll try to tie it all together as quickly as possible...

The massacre of 19 striking coal miners by a corrupt Sheriff posse is in no way comparable to someone having their smart car flipped over. It shouldn't even be in the same discussion...but you brought it here, so let's roll with it. The massacre is by far the more egregious of the two, and my "reaction" to that incident is one of pure shock and disgust. I'm assuming you're trying to use that as an example of child-rearing being worse back then than today because back then they killed people, and nowadays they just flip smart cars over, right?

This is...the more I think about it, you could only be trolling, so I'm going to stop now.

Thondalar
04-14-2014, 06:35 PM
Republicans?

Goodnight everyone!

I generally find Republicans WAY more respectful.

Empathy is a harder one...but I would have to give the nod to Republicans there as well. Democrat empathy is just disguised condescension.

Back
04-14-2014, 06:38 PM
I generally find Republicans WAY more respectful.

Empathy is a harder one...but I would have to give the nod to Republicans there as well. Democrat empathy is just disguised condescension.

Huh. Thats funny. Republicans are the party of exclusion. I think even you could name at least 5 groups of people they not only exclude but actively legislate against.

Why you mistake condescension with inclusion is because you've been told that.

Tgo01
04-14-2014, 06:58 PM
I think even you could name at least 5 groups of people they ... actively legislate against.

Can you name 5?

subzero
04-14-2014, 07:05 PM

There's a name for people who have no empathy or respect for others.

Imagine owning a vehicle like this and having someone tip it over. You could damage the engine and of course you have the paint job damage.

You don't fuck with other people's vehicles. I don't care if it is a Smartcar.

I don't think any of us are condoning it, but like I said before about laughing when you see someone fall down some stairs, it's a paradox; funny, but not. Don't tell me none of you 'it's not funny' people have never laughed at the misfortune of someone else in one form or another.

Tisket
04-14-2014, 07:12 PM
Don't tell me none of you 'it's not funny' people have never laughed at the misfortune of someone else in one form or another.

I can indeed truthfully make that statement. I don't laugh at innocent victims.

Back
04-14-2014, 07:13 PM
I don't think any of us are condoning it, but like I said before about laughing when you see someone fall down some stairs, it's a paradox; funny, but not. Don't tell me none of you 'it's not funny' people have never laughed at the misfortune of someone else in one form or another.

Yeah, I hate Tosh.0 or whatever. I mean, I think he is hilarious as a stand up comic. Brutal. But I don't like watching skateboarders take nut shots. I don't find that funny at all.

Tisket
04-14-2014, 07:15 PM
It's very telling that some can't understand why someone wouldn't find that funny.

Gelston
04-14-2014, 07:19 PM
I think it is hilarious when skateboarders take nut shots. My friends back in high school who skateboarded a lot did too. Even when it was them, as long as it was on tape.

subzero
04-14-2014, 07:32 PM
Yeah, I hate Tosh.0 or whatever. I mean, I think he is hilarious as a stand up comic. Brutal. But I don't like watching skateboarders take nut shots. I don't find that funny at all.

I think it's pretty hilarious, but I'm also able to laugh at myself if I do something and bust my ass or whatever. I've never watched Tosh.0 in particular, though I know what it's about. I am, however, familiar with Jackass and the stupid shit they do and I don't see how people can't find that funny.

It's very telling that some can't understand why someone wouldn't find that funny.

Yes, I am a sadistic asshole.

I think it is hilarious when skateboarders take nut shots. My friends back in high school who skateboarded a lot did too. Even when it was them, as long as it was on tape.

Yeah!

Thondalar
04-14-2014, 07:37 PM
Huh. Thats funny. Republicans are the party of exclusion. I think even you could name at least 5 groups of people they not only exclude but actively legislate against.

And dems don't actively legislate against any groups? I find this a common theme...when Republicans don't like something it's evil and exclusive, but when Dems don't like something it's for the greater good, or some other nonsense. Generally I find the legislation you would consider "exclusive" is based on religious and moral grounds, and I'm assuming your statement refers to gays and baby-murderers...sorry, I can only think of two. I'm also not talking about politicians, more referring to actual people who side with one or the other. I do think that a big downfall of the Right is the insistence on making religion political, and basing their social policy on religious beliefs...but then again, you all should know by now that I don't think there even should be such a thing as "social policy" for Federal politicians. A lot of people who associate with "the Right" are coming to that realization as well...you're always going to have the fringe loonies, but I feel like their numbers are dwindling. They still get all the press though...which I guess I can't do anything about but hope that people will wise up and do their own research instead of blindly following the "idiot-box" (as my grandfather called it).

Why you mistake condescension with inclusion is because you've been told that.

I turned my back on most of what I was "told" long ago...my opinions now are based solely on logic and observation. Republicans generally think that most able-bodied people are intelligent, resourceful, and strong...Democrats generally think that everyone is beneath them and need to be coddled, and it's somehow an epic showing of humanity and good will to support laziness. Generations of legislation bear this out.

cwolff
04-14-2014, 07:50 PM
And dems don't actively legislate against any groups? I find this a common theme...when Republicans don't like something it's evil and exclusive, but when Dems don't like something it's for the greater good, or some other nonsense. Generally I find the legislation you would consider "exclusive" is based on religious and moral grounds, and I'm assuming your statement refers to gays and baby-murderers...sorry, I can only think of two. I'm also not talking about politicians, more referring to actual people who side with one or the other. I do think that a big downfall of the Right is the insistence on making religion political, and basing their social policy on religious beliefs...but then again, you all should know by now that I don't think there even should be such a thing as "social policy" for Federal politicians. A lot of people who associate with "the Right" are coming to that realization as well...you're always going to have the fringe loonies, but I feel like their numbers are dwindling. They still get all the press though...which I guess I can't do anything about but hope that people will wise up and do their own research instead of blindly following the "idiot-box" (as my grandfather called it).

I turned my back on most of what I was "told" long ago...my opinions now are based solely on logic and observation. Republicans generally think that most able-bodied people are intelligent, resourceful, and strong...Democrats generally think that everyone is beneath them and need to be coddled, and it's somehow an epic showing of humanity and good will to support laziness. Generations of legislation bear this out.

You hold your logic and observation in to high regard.

In a perfect world the things you are saying are correct. It's not a perfect world though and people generally stay in the same socio-economic situation that they were raised in. On average that means that if you come from wealth you should have some expectation of wealth and if you come from poverty, don't be surprised if you end up poor. It's not a fair fight and that's what the democrats are trying to change. The GOP doesn't want change because the old ways favor them.

Thondalar
04-14-2014, 07:59 PM
Didn't realize this one went through, deleted.

Thondalar
04-14-2014, 08:08 PM
You hold your logic and observation in to high regard.

I'm assuming you meant "too"...we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

In a perfect world the things you are saying are correct. It's not a perfect world though and people generally stay in the same socio-economic situation that they were raised in. On average that means that if you come from wealth you should have some expectation of wealth and if you come from poverty, don't be surprised if you end up poor. It's not a fair fight and that's what the democrats are trying to change. The GOP doesn't want change because the old ways favor them.

Dems aren't trying to change anything, they're trying to keep the poor in their place by promising them things that aren't possible long-term in any viable economy so they have a solid voter base. Don't get it twisted...Federal politicians are the new Monarchy. If you think for a fraction of a second that a single one of those millionaire Dems in Washington give a flying fuck about the common man, you're more delusional than the craziest religious zealot the right has to offer.

You don't create wealth by making people comfortable in their poverty. Poverty in our country is a joke anyway, compared to the rest of the world...you're poor? Here's a free cell phone, housing subsidies, free school, free breakfast and lunch for your kids, hundreds of dollars a month in food stamps with no restrictions...it's ridiculous.

If you're disabled, mentally or physically, your society should support you. If you're able-bodied and choose to live on the government's largess (aka other people's money), you should be taken out back and shot.

Warriorbird
04-14-2014, 08:13 PM

Given that you've determined that you can read the minds of all Democrats and their kindness is always condescension there isn't much point in talking to you. You're completely deaf to any notion of realignment elections or change over time. I won't try. I'll just impart this. What you think of as "logic and observation" is actually opinion. All of us have years and thousands of pages worth of that. This isn't an "argument" you can win. People aren't going to randomly decide, all of a sudden, to go back to the Articles of Confederation or the 1890s just because you want them to. It's as nonsensical as James Carville's idea that the Republicans will cease to exist. Politics adapts. The game continues.

Tisket
04-14-2014, 08:14 PM
Yes, I am a sadistic asshole.

Well you do enjoy driving behind smaller cars with your brights on!

cwolff
04-14-2014, 08:19 PM
I'm assuming you meant "too"...we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Dems aren't trying to change anything, they're trying to keep the poor in their place by promising them things that aren't possible long-term in any viable economy so they have a solid voter base. Don't get it twisted...Federal politicians are the new Monarchy. If you think for a fraction of a second that a single one of those millionaire Dems in Washington give a flying fuck about the common man, you're more delusional than the craziest religious zealot the right has to offer.

You don't create wealth by making people comfortable in their poverty. Poverty in our country is a joke anyway, compared to the rest of the world...you're poor? Here's a free cell phone, housing subsidies, free school, free breakfast and lunch for your kids, hundreds of dollars a month in food stamps with no restrictions...it's ridiculous.

If you're disabled, mentally or physically, your society should support you. If you're able-bodied and choose to live on the government's largess (aka other people's money), you should be taken out back and shot.

Ya I didn't know which too to use.

Beyond the cynicism, which we're all cynics about the government, I do believe there is a place for the government to help out. Other countries do it and do it well. This "tough love" ideology we have isn't helping anyone. People are just average and the average guy isn't going to do beyond average things without help.

Poverty ain't no joke here. You guys make it sound like once a person can achieve a low enough annual income they've won the lottery and it's easy street for the rest of their lives. That ain't the case and just goes to show that maybe you don't actually know what you're talking about. The cell phone thing is proof of that. There have been subsidies in place for phones for a long time but you guys seem to still think that cell phones are this new fangled space age expensive technology.

Thondalar
04-14-2014, 08:21 PM
Given that you've determined that you can read the minds of all Democrats and their kindness is always condescension there isn't much point in talking to you.

Naturally it's a generalization...when speaking of all Republicans and all Democrats it's going to be such. I was hoping this would bring some amount of light to the staunch Dems on these boards that it goes both ways...apparently my effort was for naught.

You're completely deaf to any notion of realignment elections or change over time.

That's just silly. Time changes all things, in one fashion or another.

What you think of as "logic and observation" is actually opinion. All of us have years and thousands of pages worth of that.

I totally agree with this. I would argue that our individual logic based on individual observation is the core of our opinions. However, I feel that a lot of people just go along with what they're taught and/or told by people close to them instead of doing their own research and forming logical opinions based on that. I used to be like that...I would say a good 50-60% of the beliefs I hold now would go completely against what I was taught growing up, and go against the beliefs of a large portion of my "friendly circle"...how many here can say that?

This isn't an "argument" you can win. People aren't going to randomly decide, all of a sudden, to go back to the Articles of Confederation or the 1890s just because you want them to.

I wouldn't want either of these things to happen. It's like we don't even know each other anymore.

It's as nonsensical as James Carville's idea that the Republicans will cease to exist. Politics adapts. The game continues.

Again, I agree completely. Although I really wouldn't mind seeing the Republican party cease to exist...as it is now.

cwolff
04-14-2014, 08:24 PM
It's as nonsensical as James Carville's idea that the Republicans will cease to exist. Politics adapts. The game continues.

Carville didn't actually say that. He said that the GOP would cease to exist as we know it, which is basically what you're saying too.

Thondalar
04-14-2014, 08:31 PM
Ya I didn't know which too to use.

Beyond the cynicism, which we're all cynics about the government, I do believe there is a place for the government to help out. Other countries do it and do it well. This "tough love" ideology we have isn't helping anyone. People are just average and the average guy isn't going to do beyond average things without help.

Poverty ain't no joke here. You guys make it sound like once a person can achieve a low enough annual income they've won the lottery and it's easy street for the rest of their lives. That ain't the case and just goes to show that maybe you don't actually know what you're talking about. The cell phone thing is proof of that. There have been subsidies in place for phones for a long time but you guys seem to still think that cell phones are this new fangled space age expensive technology.

I know this from living it myself...and 13 years ago at that. It's worse now, i've checked up on it. I wanted more for myself so I worked my way into a better job...I was 20 years old when I got a girl pregnant. I did what I thought was the right thing, and married her. 14 years later we're still married, and we have two kids now...13 year old girl and 16 month old boy. When we first got married, I was living on my own with a bunch of roommates, working when I felt like it at random construction or restaurant jobs...mostly just partying and selling dope. When I found out I had a kid on the way, I realized the dope spot was nowhere to raise a kid. I applied for government aid...got housing assistance for an apartment, got food stamps and medicaid. I also got a regular full-time job. Having only a GED and about 16 hours of CLEP'd college credits I couldn't get much...$7.50 an hour at a restaurant. I spent the next 5 years working my way into management...after 4 years my daughter started going to preschool and my wife got a job with Wal-mart...after this point we got off of all government assistance.

Now, 8 years after that, I make enough that she doesn't have to work anymore, and can stay at home with my son. I'm not at all saying some amount of government assistance is a bad thing...hell, I used it, and used it to get myself on my feet after a wasted young-adulthood. I haven't used it since.

I think that we have a wealthy and enlightened society to the point where we can offer a helping hand to those who will use it to good effect. But there must be restrictions and limitations. Right now, there are very few.

edit: I never actually graduated High School, dropped out at the end of my junior year and got a GED...changed to reflect that.

cwolff
04-14-2014, 08:47 PM
I know this from living it myself...and 13 years ago at that. It's worse now, i've checked up on it. I wanted more for myself so I worked my way into a better job...I was 20 years old when I got a girl pregnant. I did what I thought was the right thing, and married her. 14 years later we're still married, and we have two kids now...13 year old girl and 16 month old boy. When we first got married, I was living on my own with a bunch of roommates, working when I felt like it at random construction or restaurant jobs...mostly just partying and selling dope. When I found out I had a kid on the way, I realized the dope spot was nowhere to raise a kid. I applied for government aid...got housing assistance for an apartment, got food stamps and medicaid. I also got a regular full-time job. Having only a high school diploma and about 16 hours of CLEP'd college credits I couldn't get much...$7.50 an hour at a restaurant. I spent the next 5 years working my way into management...after 4 years my daughter started going to preschool and my wife got a job with Wal-mart...after this point we got off of all government assistance.

Now, 8 years after that, I make enough that she doesn't have to work anymore, and can stay at home with my son. I'm not at all saying some amount of government assistance is a bad thing...hell, I used it, and used it to get myself on my feet after a wasted young-adulthood. I haven't used it since.

I think that we have a wealthy and enlightened society to the point where we can offer a helping hand to those who will use it to good effect. But there must be restrictions and limitations. Right now, there are very few.

You're not describing poverty you're describing luxury. Almost like poverty tourism. Living in a frat house, working just enough to keep the lights on, smoking pot and generally being irresponsible isn't a rags-riches story. I could go be homeless for a few years and step out of the lifestyle with nothing more than a haircut and a change of clothes. It's not that easy or fluid a transition for all of us.

subzero
04-14-2014, 08:52 PM
Well you do enjoy driving behind smaller cars with your brights on!

No, no! They think they're my brights because, I guess, of the way/position the lights from a truck hit the mirror of smaller vehicles. I think it's funny when they get pissed about it and get behind me and hit their brights since my mirrors auto-dim and doesn't affect me at all. In fact it's a double-dose of enjoyment! Unbeknownst to them they're helping me out because the less cars I have in front of me, the happier I am.

And how did this thread turn into politics? There's a whole fucking forum for your babbling about democrats and republicans! The whole paradigm thing is pretty dumb, anyway.

Back
04-14-2014, 08:56 PM
And dems don't actively legislate against any groups?

Name one, just one. Should be simple.

I find this a common theme...when Republicans don't like something it's evil and exclusive, but when Dems don't like something it's for the greater good, or some other nonsense. Generally I find the legislation you would consider "exclusive" is based on religious and moral grounds, and I'm assuming your statement refers to gays and baby-murderers...sorry, I can only think of two. I'm also not talking about politicians, more referring to actual people who side with one or the other. I do think that a big downfall of the Right is the insistence on making religion political, and basing their social policy on religious beliefs...but then again, you all should know by now that I don't think there even should be such a thing as "social policy" for Federal politicians. A lot of people who associate with "the Right" are coming to that realization as well...you're always going to have the fringe loonies, but I feel like their numbers are dwindling. They still get all the press though...which I guess I can't do anything about but hope that people will wise up and do their own research instead of blindly following the "idiot-box" (as my grandfather called it).

Call a spade a spade?

Do you actually know any democrats?

Thondalar
04-14-2014, 08:57 PM
You're not describing poverty you're describing luxury. Almost like poverty tourism. Living in a frat house, working just enough to keep the lights on, smoking pot and generally being irresponsible isn't a rags-riches story. I could go be homeless for a few years and step out of the lifestyle with nothing more than a haircut and a change of clothes. It's not that easy or fluid a transition for all of us.

lol...so I guess every poverty-stricken area is a frat house? I lived in a trailer in a trailer park. At least it was a double-wide, I guess. The AC froze up every other day, so we'd sit in the Florida 98-degree summer with the couple of window fans that still worked. We had roaches and rats everywhere. One of my roommates was a crack-head, another was an alcoholic, and the other was a bean-head. Culturally we were two white guys (me and the beaner), one black guy(the crack head), and a mexican (the alcoholic). Most of the time I ate ramen noodles for dinner. I can honestly say, without even an ounce of reservation, that I lived worse on my own at that trailer than I did at any point after getting on government assistance and moving out on my own. I'm not sure what measures you use to judge poverty and luxury...but let me tell you...that trailer was not luxurious. At all.

cwolff
04-14-2014, 09:00 PM
lol...so I guess every poverty-stricken area is a frat house? I lived in a trailer in a trailer park. At least it was a double-wide, I guess. The AC froze up every other day, so we'd sit in the Florida 98-degree summer with the couple of window fans that still worked. We had roaches and rats everywhere. One of my roommates was a crack-head, another was an alcoholic, and the other was a bean-head. Culturally we were two white guys (me and the beaner), one black guy(the crack head), and a mexican (the alcoholic). Most of the time I ate ramen noodles for dinner. I can honestly say, without even an ounce of reservation, that I lived worse on my own at that trailer than I did at any point after getting on government assistance and moving out on my own. I'm not sure what measures you use to judge poverty and luxury...but let me tell you...that trailer was not luxurious. At all.

It sounds like college.

subzero
04-14-2014, 09:02 PM
http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user3303/imageroot/2014/04/20140408_smart2.png

http://d15ya7jlc6yy8b.cloudfront.net/paperclip/articles/4764/hero_images/wide/smart_car_tipping.jpg?1396886084

http://www.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/san-fran-smart-car-tipping.jpg

Thondalar
04-14-2014, 09:03 PM
Name one, just one. Should be simple.

Gun owners.

Call a spade a spade?

I wish more people would, on both sides of the fence. Without being offensive about it. Get some actual dialogue going.

Do you actually know any democrats?

A lot. I see them on TV all the time. Unlike most people, I like to watch things from different sources...so i'll watch Fox, I'll watch CNN, i'll watch CNBC. I don't have a ton of time to really get into them all, but I try to as much as I can. I think it's good to broaden your horizons, so to speak...try to see every angle of any given situation, and form your own opinion.

On a personal note, one of my very best friends is a staunch liberal Democrat...not trying to make this a "oh one of my best friends is black" scenario, but you brought it up...he's funny though because he's one of my few Democrat bar friends...they always say you don't talk about religion or politics at a bar, but we talk about both quite often. He's a staunch atheist, and staunch Democrat....i'm a staunch agnostic and staunch Libertarian...maybe because i'm pretty much in the middle and not quite polar opposites we get along well, but...we disagree on a LOT. The point is, though, we can have a 2-hour long disagreement and still be friends afterwards. I wish more of the world was like that.

Thondalar
04-14-2014, 09:03 PM
It sounds like college.

You're insane.

subzero
04-14-2014, 09:05 PM
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1724208/thumbs/o-SMART-CAR-TIPPING-facebook.jpg

http://bcdownload.gannett.edgesuite.net/wfmy/34300080001/201404/1847/34300080001_3445479411001_vs-53440220e4b06c7904e4a71c-782203291001.jpg

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/5342b9de69bedd6830128d33/theres-been-a-wave-of-people-tipping-over-smart-cars-in-san-francisco.jpg

Gelston
04-14-2014, 09:08 PM
How the fuck did a thread about SMART car tipping turn into people spouting their political views?

subzero
04-14-2014, 09:11 PM
How the fuck did a thread about SMART car tipping turn into people spouting their political views?

I have no clue, but with the power of Google Image Search, I'm trying to get this bitch back on the road again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TD_pSeNelU&feature=kp

cwolff
04-14-2014, 09:11 PM
"He had finished making a delivery, he came out to a group of maybe eight to 10 young men of like flipping over his car," an employee said. "They were just laughing and having fun. And yeah, our driver was pretty shocked. We had no idea it could be easily flipped over like that."

Seriously? No idea it could be flipped over easily by a group of 8-10 guys? He acts as if the manufacturer had put a warning label on the vehicle then he'd have been able to make an informed purchasing decision.

cwolff
04-14-2014, 09:13 PM

I think it started with a discussion of empathy that led to someone saying democrats are more rude than republicans to "pick yourself up by the bootstraps; it's easy". So basically like every other thread.

Thondalar
04-14-2014, 09:18 PM
Seriously? No idea it could be flipped over easily by a group of 8-10 guys? He acts as if the manufacturer had put a warning label on the vehicle then he'd have been able to make an informed purchasing decision.

I know 4 guys that could tip over a '96 Crown Vic.

Not that that may or may not have actually already happened.

Or that it may or may not have been an undercover police car.

I'm going to whistle and walk away now.

Thondalar
04-14-2014, 09:19 PM
I think it started with a discussion of empathy that led to someone saying democrats are more rude than republicans to "pick yourself up by the bootstraps; it's easy". So basically like every other thread.

It started with Latrine Storm saying that Republicans aren't empathetic or respectful, and I took offense because I have some Republican friends.

cwolff
04-14-2014, 09:23 PM
I know 4 guys that could tip over a '96 Crown Vic.

Not that that may or may not have actually already happened.

Or that it may or may not have been an undercover police car.

I'm going to whistle and walk away now.

That's what I'm talking about! hahaha Now imagine how far 10 guys could throw a smart car. I bet the hardest part is having enough room for everyone to get a hand hold.

http://carhumor.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/car-humor-funny-jokes-smart-are-you-my-mommy.jpg

Thondalar
04-14-2014, 09:25 PM
That's what I'm talking about! hahaha Now imagine how far 10 guys could throw a smart car. I bet the hardest part is having enough room for everyone to get a hand hold.

Lol, exactly...'96 crown vic had some fuckin' weight to it. I'd be willing to bet the 4 dudes in question could chunk one of those smart cars a good distance.

Maybe this could be a new event for the highlands games? Team smart-car tossing?

http://carhumor.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/car-humor-funny-jokes-smart-are-you-my-mommy.jpg

Lol.

subzero
04-14-2014, 09:43 PM
Not sure how legit this is, but it's still kinda funny even if it's a 'shop:

http://media.heavy.com/media/2014/04/5d545780e41211e2a1fa22000a1f9261_7.jpg

Latrinsorm
04-14-2014, 09:49 PM
Odd for a scientist to make such a statement. I'm wondering what data brought you to this conclusion.

I can't think of a more "apples to oranges" scenario, on many levels. Where to begin? I'll try to tie it all together as quickly as possible...

The massacre of 19 striking coal miners by a corrupt Sheriff posse is in no way comparable to someone having their smart car flipped over. It shouldn't even be in the same discussion...but you brought it here, so let's roll with it. The massacre is by far the more egregious of the two, and my "reaction" to that incident is one of pure shock and disgust. I'm assuming you're trying to use that as an example of child-rearing being worse back then than today because back then they killed people, and nowadays they just flip smart cars over, right?

This is...the more I think about it, you could only be trolling, so I'm going to stop now.You're operating on the premise that behavior is a function of child rearing, to some degree, correct? Human behavior has never been more civilized, thus child rearing has never been better. What's more, this trend away from violence started in the late 60s and early 70s, precisely when the most derided parenting trends began: participation trophies, incremental decreases of corporal punishment in public and private, etc. It's certainly possible that this happened in spite of civilized parenting rather than because of it, or that the two are totally unrelated, but you were the one who brought up the directly proportional connection in the first place.
I was hoping this would bring some amount of light to the staunch Dems on these boards that it goes both ways...apparently my effort was for naught.Being objective doesn't mean criticizing both sides equally, let alone with the same criticisms. Being objective means criticizing both sides on their merits. There are not Democrat loyalty oaths, complaints about too large a tent, accusations of being an In-Name-Only to the degree of the Republicans. If you're objective, you recognize that Republicans exceed Democrats at exclusion, and you also recognize those negative areas where Democrats exceed Republicans.

Jarvan
04-14-2014, 10:16 PM
You're operating on the premise that behavior is a function of child rearing, to some degree, correct? Human behavior has never been more civilized, thus child rearing has never been better. What's more, this trend away from violence started in the late 60s and early 70s, precisely when the most derided parenting trends began: participation trophies, incremental decreases of corporal punishment in public and private, etc. It's certainly possible that this happened in spite of civilized parenting rather than because of it, or that the two are totally unrelated, but you were the one who brought up the directly proportional connection in the first place.

Being objective doesn't mean criticizing both sides equally, let alone with the same criticisms. Being objective means criticizing both sides on their merits. There are not Democrat loyalty oaths, complaints about too large a tent, accusations of being an In-Name-Only to the degree of the Republicans. If you're objective, you recognize that Republicans exceed Democrats at exclusion, and you also recognize those negative areas where Democrats exceed Republicans.

Wait... are you saying kids are LESS violent now then they were in the 60's and 70's? or that people in general are?

Oh. I get it.. you are being blatantly false as a way to show how something or other.

Good one Latrin.

waywardgs
04-14-2014, 10:41 PM
I know this from living it myself...and 13 years ago at that. It's worse now, i've checked up on it. I wanted more for myself so I worked my way into a better job...I was 20 years old when I got a girl pregnant. I did what I thought was the right thing, and married her. 14 years later we're still married, and we have two kids now...13 year old girl and 16 month old boy. When we first got married, I was living on my own with a bunch of roommates, working when I felt like it at random construction or restaurant jobs...mostly just partying and selling dope. When I found out I had a kid on the way, I realized the dope spot was nowhere to raise a kid. I applied for government aid...got housing assistance for an apartment, got food stamps and medicaid. I also got a regular full-time job. Having only a GED and about 16 hours of CLEP'd college credits I couldn't get much...$7.50 an hour at a restaurant. I spent the next 5 years working my way into management...after 4 years my daughter started going to preschool and my wife got a job with Wal-mart...after this point we got off of all government assistance.

edit: I never actually graduated High School, dropped out at the end of my junior year and got a GED...changed to reflect that.

This is a great story, and a good argument for the viability of social programs. This is how social programs are supposed to work. I also think it's more common than you might give people credit for.

subzero
04-14-2014, 10:47 PM
http://www.savingadvice.com/articles/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/smart-car-tipping.jpg

http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/27/31/30/6133274/3/628x471.jpg

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/smart(5).jpg

Suppa Hobbit Mage
04-14-2014, 10:51 PM
You guys will argue about anything.

I think that's funny too, now spend two pages talking about that.

Latrinsorm
04-14-2014, 10:57 PM
Wait... are you saying kids are LESS violent now then they were in the 60's and 70's? or that people in general are?

Oh. I get it.. you are being blatantly false as a way to show how something or other.

Good one Latrin.I am saying the kids born in the late 60s and 70s grew up to commit less crime in the late 80s and 90s than their parents had. The violent and property crime rates both peaked in 1991, murder way back in 1980. If we are willing to blame bad behavior on parenting, it seems like those that reared the most violent offspring should bear the brunt of the blame, not the parents of today's comparatively mild offspring. (Insert your own the Offspring reference.)

I hadn't considered violence as children, but the under 18 bloc entirely is a small % of violent crime, it seems reasonable to assume that children make up the smaller part of that.

Latrinsorm
04-14-2014, 10:59 PM
You guys will argue about anything.Show me some stats to back that up or else you're dumb!!!!!!

Back
04-14-2014, 11:15 PM
A lot. I see them on TV all the time. Unlike most people, I like to watch things from different sources...so i'll watch Fox, I'll watch CNN, i'll watch CNBC. I don't have a ton of time to really get into them all, but I try to as much as I can. I think it's good to broaden your horizons, so to speak...try to see every angle of any given situation, and form your own opinion.

On a personal note, one of my very best friends is a staunch liberal Democrat...not trying to make this a "oh one of my best friends is black" scenario, but you brought it up...he's funny though because he's one of my few Democrat bar friends...they always say you don't talk about religion or politics at a bar, but we talk about both quite often. He's a staunch atheist, and staunch Democrat....i'm a staunch agnostic and staunch Libertarian...maybe because i'm pretty much in the middle and not quite polar opposites we get along well, but...we disagree on a LOT. The point is, though, we can have a 2-hour long disagreement and still be friends afterwards. I wish more of the world was like that.

LOL! Way to unknowingly be a stereotype.

SHAFT
04-14-2014, 11:18 PM
You guys will argue about anything.

I think that's funny too, now spend two pages talking about that.

Have you been to the forums on cnn.com or tmz.com? This lot are tame compared to them.

waywardgs
04-14-2014, 11:50 PM
Have you been to the forums on cnn.com or tmz.com? This lot are tame compared to them.

Comparatively I'd say we maintain a relatively high level of civility in our little niche of the internet.

That said, I have to check myself on Facebook to keep from acting there as I do here. Grandparents and all, haha.

Latrinsorm
04-15-2014, 12:13 PM
Comparatively I'd say we maintain a relatively high level of civility in our little niche of the internet.

That said, I have to check myself on Facebook to keep from acting there as I do here. Grandparents and all, haha.You're not going to start a topless thread on Facebook? For your grandparents?

I blame bad parenting for this post.

leifastagsweed
04-15-2014, 01:18 PM
Dodge Dart.

LOL.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL fucking Dodge Darts LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Smart cars are funny and cute. Destruction of people's personal property is not funny or cute. It's also illegal and my bet is the cops that stop these 'pranksters' won't find it funny or cute, either.

edit: The lady wearing scrubs in the photos of the tipped white Smartcar doesn't appear to think it's funny or cute. In the various photos, I see her looking quite distressed as she is talking on the phone, holding a child, and crying. I seriously doubt that woman, who I'd gather from her attire is probably a nurse or some other low-paying health care provider whose job it is to care for others, is "rich" or particularly "privileged" nor that she needed to be the victim of that shit on her way to work. That's a big fail and it makes me very sad for her.

AnticorRifling
04-15-2014, 01:24 PM
I don't know cars and I just grabbed that out of the air. Maybe they are collectible now? Or maybe it was never considered a piece of shit? Regardless, I'm sure cwulf has a piece of shit car.

They redid the dart, it's basically a neon.

leifastagsweed
04-15-2014, 01:28 PM
The Dodge Dart is a car for middle aged married men who fantasize that their shiny black econo-box with flashy red lights actually makes them look tough, like this...

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/8018/knightart3.jpg

Jhynnifer
04-15-2014, 02:06 PM
Bitches please.

We balanced a Volkswagen bug on 2 metal posts in college WITHOUT causing the car any damage.

This is childs play in comparison.

Why did you take pictures so years in the future you could post them on the PC for us to laugh at?

subzero
04-15-2014, 02:43 PM
edit: The lady wearing scrubs in the photos of the tipped white Smartcar doesn't appear to think it's funny or cute. In the various photos, I see her looking quite distressed as she is talking on the phone, holding a child, and crying. I seriously doubt that woman, who I'd gather from her attire is probably a nurse or some other low-paying health care provider whose job it is to care for others, is "rich" or particularly "privileged" nor that she needed to be the victim of that shit on her way to work. That's a big fail and it makes me very sad for her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhY-Mi1Le_Q

leifastagsweed
04-15-2014, 02:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhY-Mi1Le_Q

LOL I am not very sad for them, obviously. Those are wins.

subzero
04-15-2014, 02:59 PM
LOL I am not very sad for them, obviously. Those are wins.

The point here is that you should lighten up a bit. No one is laughing about the fact that their shit got ruined, but the image of a car sitting on its ass, so to speak, is funny. You know like how getting hit in the nuts hurts and isn't exactly fun for the person going through the experience, but it's funny watching it happen.

Johnny Five
04-15-2014, 03:32 PM

They were clearly upset at her lack of professionalism. Scrubs and flip flops?

leifastagsweed
04-15-2014, 03:44 PM
They were clearly upset at her lack of professionalism. Scrubs and flip flops?

ROFL! I didn't check back, but I thought she was wearing Crocs. Both are clearly fashion fails. Let the tippings commence? (not really)

Jeril
04-15-2014, 05:56 PM
I, myself, laugh at nearly everything and it isn't because I lack sympathy or empathy, quite the opposite.

As far the conditions of the average person, they don't lack for ability to succeed, they lack the will to change. High school is a perfect example that I think we can all understand, it doesn't take someone super smart to get good grades, one just needs the dedication(will) to put in the time and effort. Someone who is smarter will obviously have an easier time of it but it doesn't mean that both can't achieve the same end goal.

Warriorbird
04-15-2014, 06:55 PM
I, myself, laugh at nearly everything and it isn't because I lack sympathy or empathy, quite the opposite.

As far the conditions of the average person, they don't lack for ability to succeed, they lack the will to change. High school is a perfect example that I think we can all understand, it doesn't take someone super smart to get good grades, one just needs the dedication(will) to put in the time and effort. Someone who is smarter will obviously have an easier time of it but it doesn't mean that both can't achieve the same end goal.

I see this every day, particularly in relation to my AP classes. Whenever they leave their papers behind my regular history students are often staggered by how much better the AP kids could have done with a bit more effort. "This stuff isn't that difficult!" is often heard and I teach a fairly rigorous AP class.

cwolff
04-15-2014, 07:02 PM
I see this every day, particularly in relation to my AP classes. Whenever they leave their papers behind my regular history students are often staggered by how much better the AP kids could have done with a bit more effort. "This stuff isn't that difficult!" is often heard and I teach a fairly rigorous AP class.

So the history because it's required kids are giving unfavorable critiques of the AP kids work? Is it because they expect so much more out of AP students?

Warriorbird
04-15-2014, 07:34 PM
So the history because it's required kids are giving unfavorable critiques of the AP kids work? Is it because they expect so much more out of AP students?

I'm sure that's some of it. I think it's more the standardized test culture has crafted high readiness kids who are good at doing basic work quickly. They might lack the dedication to push through to a more strenuous end goal because they've been given nothing but simple multiple choice tests as their exit tickets. Now, in a class where you need to do a fair bit more they don't know how to push through even though they have an easier time than many of the students in the basic classes with basic material.

Jeril
04-15-2014, 07:36 PM
I forgot to comment about there being less violence. It is all well and good that there is less of it but what if there is less because more people are overweight, complacent, and apathetic?

Warriorbird
04-15-2014, 07:38 PM
I forgot to comment about there being less violence. It is all well and good that there is less of it but what if there is less because more people are overweight, complacent, and apathetic?

Sugar does reduce aggression.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
04-16-2014, 09:51 AM
I disagree that nurses are low paid health care employees.

Latrinsorm
04-16-2014, 02:46 PM
I forgot to comment about there being less violence. It is all well and good that there is less of it but what if there is less because more people are overweight, complacent, and apathetic?Being rich (hence the rest) is also an important ingredient in peace. I would argue it is the most important, but Thondalar didn't blame this phenomenon on poverty so it didn't come up.