PDA

View Full Version : 1110 Empathic Assault

Miss X
09-21-2004, 07:26 AM
After countless hours of focus and study, the empathic community at large has grown beyond merely sensing the essence of those around them, and acquired the ability to infuse an aspect of self within a given target.

Through concentration of will, the Empath becomes capable of focusing their awareness upon their own essence, gaining control over the energies coursing through them, and redirecting the flow until it manifests into a radiant sphere of energy the Empath can hurl toward opponents. The successful Empath can infuse the target with their own essence, establishing an initially jarring connection through which they can overcome the natural energy flow of the target.

All are welcome to discuss this adjustment in the Empath Spell discussion forum.

Yours,
Imjee

Empath Team
Cleric/Paladin Teams
mSpirit/mMental Teams

Wow so they finally released this spell. I don't train in spell aim so it's not going to have any impact on me but I'd be interested to see what others who will use it think. :)

Blazing247
09-21-2004, 07:32 AM
Simu sucks. "Hey, let's design a support profession that can sit in safety and heal, gaining levels at a faster and less restricted pace than any class but a cleric, until they reach level 300. Then, we'll give them massive combat abilities, totally going against the entire ethos of their profession."

Much offense meant to the empaths out there- you shouldn't have any combat spells, like old school DR.

Miss X
09-21-2004, 07:53 AM
Boo hoo, cry about it.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
09-21-2004, 08:14 AM
Don't kill me, but I agree. Empaths should be non-combatants. When my wizard starts healing folks for xp and getting a flat bottom on a node, I'll stop bitching about it...

HAHAHA

Miss X
09-21-2004, 08:18 AM
>prep 1110
>
You focus your thoughts while chanting the mystical phrase for Empathic Assault...
Your spell is ready.
>cast kob
You gesture at a kobold.
Success! Establishing a connection with the kobold, your awareness of its physical condition expands as your essence fuses with its own!
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>
You mentally attempt to locate your implanted essence within the kobold...
CS: +374 - TD: +1 + CvA: +20 + d100: +68 == +461
Warding failed!
You maintain a nearly perfect connection with the kobold, blocking all sensory impulses to self-sustaining functions!
...and cause 161 points of damage!
The kobold crumples to a heap on the ground and dies.
The empathic presence you planted within the kobold exhausts itself.
>

:heart:

Suppa Hobbit Mage
09-21-2004, 08:26 AM
I hope they take away xp learning from healing. And change all empath titles to "I healed for a bajillion xp and now I'ma great lady with the name sugerhugsbunchalot and I will pwn joo"

Psykos
09-21-2004, 08:37 AM
Empaths are the best characters in the game now, by far. Its fucking sad its that way. Its not like they can't stay fried all day, now they can outhunt most other people around them. Nakiro is a good example. I agree that it shouldn't be this way, no offense Nakiro cause you're a good guy.

Psykos

Nakiro
09-21-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Psykos
Empaths are the best characters in the game now, by far. Its fucking sad its that way. Its not like they can't stay fried all day, now they can outhunt most other people around them. Nakiro is a good example. I agree that it shouldn't be this way, no offense Nakiro cause you're a good guy.

Psykos

Heh.

Trust me, from having both opportunties to gain levels, I can tell you that hunting is a much more reliable, and finicially rewarding way to gain levels as an empath.

I've healed for maybe 70k in experience in the last 10 months.

Psykos
09-21-2004, 08:40 AM
My point exactly.

Nakiro
09-21-2004, 08:42 AM
BTW, I wouldn't say I can outhunt most people around me.

We're mainly limited by our lack of offensive options, heavy lore requirements, low spell durations, and higher mana costs.

Nakiro
09-21-2004, 08:44 AM
Also, this spell is very buggy. It is not dealing any of the inital bolt direct damage.

Just wait until that comes out. Then you'll be really jealous.

theotherjohn
09-21-2004, 08:44 AM
I am really enjoying this spell:

A fire cat claws at you!
AS: +160 vs DS: +187 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +91 = +99
A clean miss.
> prep 1110
>
You focus your thoughts while chanting the mystical phrase for Empathic Assault...
Your spell is ready.
>
A fire cat tries to bite you!
AS: +160 vs DS: +187 with AvD: +32 + d100 roll: +23 = +28
A clean miss.
> chan cat
You can only channel certain spells for extra power.
> cast cat
You gesture at a fire cat.
You hurl at a fire cat!
AS: -3 vs DS: +93 with AvD: -1 + d100 roll: +51 = -46
A clean miss.
Having missed the fire cat, you lack a presence within which to infuse the effort further.

Oh yeah healing in Landing and surrounding areas for free IM me via yahoo at theotherjohn

Nakiro
09-21-2004, 08:45 AM
Its not a warding spell. You're going to have to be in offensive stance for it to work.

The bolt messaging only appears on endrolls less than 101. Its a bug.

theotherjohn
09-21-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Nakiro
Its not a warding spell. You're going to have to be in offensive stance for it to work.

The bolt messaging only appears on endrolls less than 101. Its a bug.

that was in offensive.

lets just say I am heavily trained for 1106

here is my example shot

chan cat
You channel at a fire cat.
You concentrate intently on a fire cat, and a pulse of pearlescent energy ripples toward her!
CS: +111 - TD: +54 + CvA: +25 + d100: +77 == +159
Warding failed!
The fire cat shudders with sporadic convulsions as pearlescent ripples envelop her body.
The fire cat is crushed for 65 points of damage!
The fire cat crumples to the ground and dies.
Roundtime: 3 sec.

[Edited on 9-21-2004 by theotherjohn]

Miss X
09-21-2004, 09:06 AM
Your spell is ready.
>
You gesture at a raving lunatic.
You hurl at a raving lunatic!
AS: +56 vs DS: +332 with AvD: -3 + d100 roll: +94 = -185
A clean miss.
Having missed the raving lunatic, you lack a presence within which to infuse the effort further.
(Forcing stance down to guarded)

:( Boohoo, I wonder if it's worth training in spell aim for.

Soulpieced
09-21-2004, 09:18 AM
So empaths have 2 direct damage spells now?...

Us bards have 1 level 30 spell which sucks, can only single in spells (cheaply), and rangers only have 1 as well. Also, I have the highest CS in the game and can hardly ward the higher level creatures since creatures started genning with spells.

If I actually cared though, I'd complain on the bard boards. I understand empaths are pures, but isn't one already overpowered spell enough?

Drew2
09-21-2004, 09:20 AM
THEY HAD TO FUCKING DO IT AFTER I FIXSKILLED ALL MY SPELL AIMING BECAUSE 111 WAS USELESS.

THOSE BASTARDS.

theotherjohn
09-21-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Soulpieced

Us bards have 1 level 30 spell which sucks, can only single in spells (cheaply), and rangers only have 1 as well. Also, I have the highest CS in the game and can hardly ward the higher level creatures since creatures started genning with spells.

If I actually cared though, I'd complain on the bard boards. I understand empaths are pures, but isn't one already overpowered spell enough?

No empaths must have spells to open our own boxes.

We are an incomplete profession.

Drew2
09-21-2004, 09:29 AM

When we can sing our own weapons and armor, dream of wearing anything more than brig ever, pick our own boxes, get any maneuver attacks, get any useful guild skills, enchant items, and gain the ability to add more than +20 to anyone else's DS, then you can bitch and moan.

Until then, take your "HIGHEST CS IN THE WHOLE GAME!!!!" and shove it up your ass.

I'm not comparing empaths to bards, I'm comparing empaths to all the other professions.

[Edited on 9-21-2004 by Tayre]

Parkbandit
09-21-2004, 09:30 AM
Is it me or are empaths becoming mini-sorcerers? Now all they need is an area affecting spell that is not CS based and they will be all set.

Drew2
09-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Parkbandit
Is it me or are empaths becoming mini-sorcerers? Now all they need is an area affecting spell that is not CS based and they will be all set.

Again, when we can summon demons, implode, get a defense spell that doubles as an attack when we're hit, and charge scrolls, then you can compare.

Celexei
09-21-2004, 09:35 AM
OHH can't empaths actually open their own boxes with clouds?

theotherjohn
09-21-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Celexei

no learning using clouds

Drew2
09-21-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Celexei
If we want to risk glyph traps.

And also if we want to make any silver that was in the box next to worthless.

Celexei
09-21-2004, 09:41 AM
its still a spell that will open boxes, case in point no matter what the effects, see i can't complain much, trying to get my empath started and all...which BTW someone go post on my last topic pweases :( but just saying.

StrayRogue
09-21-2004, 10:12 AM
Fucking bitch bitch bitch. The typical response when another profession gets something cool. Might we all remember that healing experience was "fixed"? Hunting is the number 1 experience system in the game, as Nakiro has said. Its also far more profitable. Why shouldn't empaths be able to hunt? Its not a NEW thing. Should rogues only be able to pick? Should clerics only be able to raise?

Bards, wtf? They are semi's. You don't see rangers hunting with a spell as their primary offense these days, why the hell should bards? Its not like Bards are gimped like the old days.

The brilliance of the new system is that nearly any traning path can be realized. Restricting anyone to how they train is just stupid. If you like that sort of boredom, please go play a high skill-specific game like EQ or something.

Wezas
09-21-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
<His entire post>

Thank you.

I was so pissed about the changeover to GS4. It made it almost impossible for me to hunt the same way I did in GS3. I was practically forced into being a pure. And not all empaths sit on their ass - it's never been that way. Bone shatter only helps so much - I'm screwed when it comes to anything undead or without bones.

Plus, Sensations was a retarded spell. I think I used it twice. Once out of boredom, and once in an invasion.

Celexei
09-21-2004, 10:16 AM
WOW, Stray just said it all, i completly agree with all of what he said. I play all my pures as if they're Semi's all my Semi's as UBER-Semi's and my squares as well....UBER-Squares!!!!, but in other news, EQ Klaives at life hard.

Celexei
09-21-2004, 10:18 AM
the switch over to GSIV made me sad because Wezas quit working with the nifty Thieving program. :(

Miss X
09-21-2004, 10:19 AM
<strays post>

:clap: And people wonder why I totally :heart: you! Yay for saying just what I was thinking!!

Czeska
09-21-2004, 10:21 AM
My empath is awesome, my bard is awesome, my rogue is awesome, and my baby ranger is even turning out awesome. I love them all for different moods and reasons.

Also, 111 is hardly useless. Just 2x in spell aim like my empath does, and hunt swarms :purr:

Celexei
09-21-2004, 10:29 AM
Czeska go post that 2x spell aim plan on my last empath post pweazes, i'm intstrested. ::muah::

Suppa Hobbit Mage
09-21-2004, 10:30 AM
Why have classes then?

Celexei
09-21-2004, 10:33 AM
what do you mean why have classes? Each class gets their individual bonuses, my warpath heals, but hunts and skins as well, Celexei swings 291 AS at 26 trains with a 4x VHC two handed axe in 1 second come november with the air lore fix (currently 2 seconds), Was thinking about starting a two hander sorc but nerfed that idea for awhile, uhm and the rest have their benefits as well.

Fallen
09-21-2004, 01:15 PM
DR has it right, if I understand their empath system correctly. The more you kill things, the less you are able to efficiently heal things.

Its fine by me if empaths are fully able to hunt on par with other pures. However, are they really empaths if they spend most of their time killing things?

Wezas
09-21-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Fallen
However, are they really empaths if they spend most of their time killing things?

Are they really bards if they don't spend most of their time singing?

Are they really rogues if they don't spend most of their time stealing/picking?

Are tehy really rangers if they don't spend most of their time lost in the woods hugging trees?

Nakiro
09-21-2004, 01:20 PM
Rest assured there will be substancial changes to empath healing experience on the horizon.

One of which will be a heavy reduction in experience gained via healing.

Though at this point I think it will be more to the dismay of patients than healers, as I rarely find as many empaths healing as I do hunting.

Fallen
09-21-2004, 01:21 PM
Like I said, DR has it right.

Jolena
09-21-2004, 01:28 PM
I find it terribly amusing that some of you feel that Empaths should just sit and heal and not have ANY way to attack another person or creature. So I spose if an empath goes out into the field to rescue a dead body or a friend who is about to die from blood loss, they should have NO ability to handle the creatures there at all. And I spose that if another character attacks them, or they are healing in an invasion and a loose invader gets into the area, they should have NO ability to attack in defense. :nutty:

Edited to add: Oh and forget joining a society, because to be in Voln you have to kill undead and to be in COL you have to skin DEAD creatures.

[Edited on 9-21-2004 by Jolena]

09-21-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by theotherjohn
You hurl at a fire cat!
AS: -3 vs DS: +93 with AvD: -1 + d100 roll: +51 = -46
A clean miss.
Having missed the fire cat, you lack a presence within which to infuse the effort further.

Am I the only one that finds this messaging amusing? You hurl at a fire cat!? You lack the presence within which to infuse the effort further!?

On the failure to connect, it sounds like you're dry heaving on the target.

theotherjohn
09-21-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Nakiro
Rest assured there will be substancial changes to empath healing experience on the horizon.

One of which will be a heavy reduction in experience gained via healing.

I agree completely. and this is why:

It will cause people to have a second account just for healing support.

Nakiro
09-21-2004, 01:37 PM
Its bugged messaging. This is what it looks like now.

Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a war griffin.
You hurl a radiant ball of energy at a war griffin!
AS: +362 vs DS: +290 with AvD: +24 + d100 roll: +79 = +175
... and hit for 32 points of damage!
The war griffin's hand is encased in shimmering blue flames!
Success! Establishing a connection with the war griffin, your awareness of its physical condition expands as your essence fuses with its own!
>
Cast Round Time in effect: Setting stance to guarded.
>
You mentally attempt to locate your implanted essence within the war griffin...
CS: +470 - TD: +404 + CvA: +25 + d100: +55 == +146
Warding failed!
You maintain a strong connection with the war griffin, seizing its circulatory systems and hindering its sensory impulses!
...and cause 35 points of damage!
The empathic presence you planted within the war griffin exhausts itself.

Once I get enough lore to get a second or third interval on this sucker, it'll be quite nice. The intervals hit roughly once every four seconds.

Fallen
09-21-2004, 01:40 PM
I find it terribly amusing that some of you feel that Empaths should just sit and heal and not have ANY way to attack another person or creature. So I spose if an empath goes out into the field to rescue a dead body or a friend who is about to die from blood loss, they should have NO ability to handle the creatures there at all. And I spose that if another character attacks them, or they are healing in an invasion and a loose invader gets into the area, they should have NO ability to attack in defense. >>

Empaths could and did hunt before Bone Shatter. It just took this thing called talent. By this I mean, Warpuffs were in my opinion the most difficult characters to play successfully.

[Edited on 9-21-2004 by Fallen]

Jolena
09-21-2004, 01:46 PM
I don't have an issue with swinging empaths, not at all. However for those of you saying that an empath should not have spells at their disposal to attack with, I find it terribly moronic. EVERY profession/person should have a way to attack at least in self defense. If you are a magical profession, spells would undoubtedly be a reasonable and expected way to do so.

Parkbandit
09-21-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Wezas

Originally posted by Fallen
However, are they really empaths if they spend most of their time killing things?

Are they really bards if they don't spend most of their time singing?

Are they really rogues if they don't spend most of their time stealing/picking?

Are tehy really rangers if they don't spend most of their time lost in the woods hugging trees?

No
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!
That's just a silly story.. like all halflings eat tarts. It's not based on any facts.

DeV
09-21-2004, 01:49 PM
Glad ya'll got something new. :up:

Parkbandit
09-21-2004, 01:50 PM
What is that message empaths get when they swing at a critter? Something like "That's unbecoming of someone in the healing profession" right?

I don't have a problem with an empath defending herself/himself and even attacking critters.. but it SHOULD be difficult for them to do so. The changes to the profession to make them viable hunters, in my opinion, goes against everything the profession stands for in any type of D&D roleplaying game.

Jolena
09-21-2004, 01:53 PM
I do agree that it should be made harder, and guess what..it is. In order to use 1110 effectively, ALL lores but transferance go into play. Lores are not cheap by any means. Especially considering you have to train in three of them PLUS spellaim if you want to use 1110 in any semblence that is effective. Also, to swing it is much more expensive. Boneshatter is not that difficult to use effectively TP wise in my opinion because manipulation and FA are the only things that really effect it to a great exent and FA is cheap.

Fallen
09-21-2004, 02:00 PM
I don't have a problem with an empath defending herself/himself and even attacking critters.. but it SHOULD be difficult for them to do so. The changes to the profession to make them viable hunters, in my opinion, goes against everything the profession stands for in any type of D&D roleplaying game. >>

Well said. As I said, give them all the hunting tools they wish. However, there should be, to a degree, some loss of "Empathy" if your healer is constantly dishing out pain instead of attempting to remove it.

[Edited on 9-21-2004 by Fallen]

Drew
09-21-2004, 02:21 PM
In "the old days" it was harder for an empath to hunt effectively, I kinda liked it that way. I have no problem with a player hunting, but I've always thought seeing an empath hunt (especially being good at it) was very odd. There are 7 other professions that can hunt, it's not like you HAVE to be an empath, be an empath if you want to heal people. At least that's how I think it should be (no offense to Nakiro, Chica, et al.).

The Cat In The Hat
09-21-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit
What is that message empaths get when they swing at a critter? Something like "That's unbecoming of someone in the healing profession" right?

You only get that if you swing/cast at another character. We do not see that message when attacking creatures.

Jolena
09-21-2004, 02:36 PM
Hmm...food for thought. hehe

The Cat In The Hat
09-21-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Drew
In "the old days" it was harder for an empath to hunt effectively, I kinda liked it that way. I have no problem with a player hunting, but I've always thought seeing an empath hunt (especially being good at it) was very odd. There are 7 other professions that can hunt, it's not like you HAVE to be an empath, be an empath if you want to heal people. At least that's how I think it should be (no offense to Nakiro, Chica, et al.).

Hunting = the main 99.9% of what this game is. Why should empaths be left out of it just because we're healers? It would seem to me that since we can heal a broken arm, we should know how to break an arm better, therefor making us better hunters. There is no cosmic force in elanthia that we get our powers from that dislikes empaths hunting like whatever it is in DR that makes them weak for killing.

I do agree there needs to be game balance as far as other professions learning from their main "profession action". ie: bards singing, rangers foraging, and warriors should learn MORE than any other profession from killing because they're warriors.

Parkbandit
09-21-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by The Cat In The Hat

Hunting = the main 99.9% of what this game is. Why should empaths be left out of it just because we're healers? It would seem to me that since we can heal a broken arm, we should know how to break an arm better, therefor making us better hunters. There is no cosmic force in elanthia that we get our powers from that dislikes empaths hunting like whatever it is in DR that makes them weak for killing.

I do agree there needs to be game balance as far as other professions learning from their main "profession action". ie: bards singing, rangers foraging, and warriors should learn MORE than any other profession from killing because they're warriors.

In this type of D&D game guess what.. EMPATHS <= HUNTERS. They are considered :insert gasping sound here: healers. Their main function is to offer healing to the other classes.

If you don't want to do that.. then great.. I don't think every single empath should be doing only healing.. but hunting should be something difficult to advance with.. as it is in almost all D&D games.

Call me old fashioned.

The Cat In The Hat
09-21-2004, 02:47 PM
Should clerics not be able to kill because their primary reason for existance is to raise the dead?

This wasn't D&D the last time I checked. And for the record, Gemstone is the only roleplaying game I've ever played.

[Edited on 9-21-2004 by The Cat In The Hat]

Syberus
09-21-2004, 02:49 PM
And battle the undead.. don't forget that part.

Parkbandit
09-21-2004, 02:50 PM
My cleric doesn't harm a single living critter and releases the undead.

Yea.. I am old fashioned.

Syberus
09-21-2004, 02:52 PM
I get to sit back on this one.. since no one can really argue that Sorcerers exist for any purpose besides kicking ass.

Drew
09-21-2004, 02:54 PM
It's not that I'm saying they shouldn't be able to hunt, it's just that they do it quite well now, empaths are like sorcerors with much better support abilities (you can hunt in guarded and heal, or you can hunt in guarded and have demons and infuse scrolls). Should other hunters be able to be equaled, or bested, by an empath? I think the answer is no; empaths have another ability that all other classes have nothing like (the ability to heal others).

The incentive now for an empath is to hunt, not to heal, Gemstone's healing class should be healers first, anything else second. This is partially a flaw in game design, everyone bitched that empaths could sit on nodes and learn all day so that got downtweaked, then empaths were given effective hunting tools and what was expected to happen?

Snapp
My empath has always been a hunter.. even in GS3. I can't imagine him any other way. He rarely heals unless it is to his advantage (ie: offering of big tip, close friend, or hunting partner). Since they don't want us to swing (which I still do anyway for now), it's nice they give us spells to making hunting viable. I honestly wouldn't care if they took away experience for healing.

Parkbandit
Originally posted by Syberus
I get to sit back on this one.. since no one can really argue that Sorcerers exist for any purpose besides kicking ass.

And torture poor innocent thieves with their damn cursed gems and retribution spells.

Don't EVEN get me started on them.

Meos
reminds me of stonefist.

Syberus
09-21-2004, 02:56 PM
Well PB... the torturing of those thieves that take our gems could probably still fall under the umbrella term of kicking ass :bleh:

The Cat In The Hat
09-21-2004, 02:59 PM
And that's fine for you.

Empaths are hunters. They're ensuring this fact with lessening experience we gain from healing. Once the lesser experience thing kicks in, most empaths won't want to heal.

I do agree with you that empaths main function is to heal, thats why I picked this profession, and thats why i pick it repeatedly. One main point I won't argue with you on is that empaths should learn more from healing and less from hunting (I think thats the point you were trying to make, correct me if im wrong)

The way it's going, we're going to learn less from healing, making us not want to heal. Healing might become a nifty RP tool and nothing more.

*edited to add - I too was a hunter in GS3. I would say it was about 70% hunting 30% healing. Yeah it was harder then, and it made you feel more like you accomplished something than it does now. I was hunting plane 5 of the rift at 82 trainings solo. I wouldn't have been able to do that in GS3.

[Edited on 9-21-2004 by The Cat In The Hat]

Wezas
09-21-2004, 03:06 PM
I was a blade-weilding Warpath.

From a post of mine last October:

GS3:
4x weapon, 1x Edged, .75 CM, .5x shield with 202, 103, 120, 1109, 1130, & signs

A kobold swings a short sword at you!
AS: +8 vs DS: +538 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +73 = -424
A clean miss.

>stance offensive

A kobold swings a short sword at you!
AS: +6 vs DS: +137 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +18 = -80
A clean miss.

>kill kob
You swing a large butcher's cleaver at a kobold!
AS: +390 vs DS: +34 with AvD: +32 + d100 roll: +94 = +482
... and hit for 160 points of damage!
Left hip pulped, severing the leg.
A kobold screams and falls to the ground grasping its mangled left leg!
The kobold cries out in pain one last time and dies.
Roundtime: 6 sec.

GS4:

1x Edged, 1x CM, .5x shield with 202, 103, 120, 1109, 1130, & signs

>stance defensive
You are now in a defensive stance.
>
A rolton claws at you!
AS: +46 vs DS: +298 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +63 = -154
A clean miss.
>
>stance offensive
You are now in an offensive stance.
>
A rolton claws at you!
AS: +46 vs DS: +199 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +23 = -95
A clean miss.
>

>kill kob
You swing a large butcher's cleaver at a kobold!
AS: +355 vs DS: +47 with AvD: +32 + d100 roll: +62 = +402
... and hit for 131 points of damage!
Shield arm removed at the shoulder!
The kobold's wooden shield falls to the ground.
The kobold crumples to a heap on the ground and dies.
Butcher's cleaver clashes with light leather!
[STR/DU: 70/160 vs. 10/250, d100(Open)= 71]
Roundtime: 6 sec.

So, a hell of a drop if I'm in defensive, it went up when I'm in offensive (except when you consider in GS3 I could put on WOF and have it last more then 1 min.) I'm taking Adredrin's advice and trying to be a spell monster now, We'll have to see how it works out.

2.125x spells (extra spell every 8 trainings, so 7 additional spells)
2x harness, spell aiming,
1x symbols, miu, spirit lores, mental lores
1.4x first aid (extra points)
misc armor/climb/swim/percept ranks.

When they switched from GS3 to GS4 - my defenses (and swing) were in the shitter. I couldn't be a blade-weilding warpath. We lost WOF - which totally sucks for we empaths that don't have uber-gear and don't have defenses to spare. Not to mention that alot of critters hit harder now then in GS3.

In my mind, I had to go the way of the runestaff. It was the only viable option for me.

Numbers
09-21-2004, 03:06 PM
I don't have a problem with empaths being able to hunt... just as long as their offensive abilities do not equal that of other pures that are meant as killing machines.

Empaths and clerics should not be as efficient as sorcerers and wizards when it comes to hunting.

When sorcerers and wizards get another ability that lets them gain reliable experience, then the empaths and clerics will have an argument. Until then, nope.

Drew
09-21-2004, 03:10 PM
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but long ago it was MUCH harder for empaths to hunt, I'm talking in the ten year range. One of my best friends in game at the time was an empath and I remember him trying to hunt and it wasn't very succesful, but at that time empaths got a lot of experience for healing and they were on node when they were doing it. Anyone remember the quote-unquote race between Strom and Thalior to be the first to make Ancient? It wasn't much of a race at all because empaths had huge advantages.

Like I said, I'm not against empaths hunting, but they should have more incentive to heal than hunt.

Drew
09-21-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by 3704558

Empaths and clerics should not be as efficient as sorcerers and wizards when it comes to hunting.

Clerics should be the most effective class against the undead

MrFeature
09-21-2004, 03:21 PM
Also, I have the highest CS in the game...

Wrong.

Psykos
09-21-2004, 03:24 PM
He did when I played
:shrug:

Originally posted by MrFeature

Wrong.

Wezas
09-21-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by MrFeature

Wrong.

As his entire post was talking about the Bardic profession - he very well may have been referring to his Bard CS.

Instead of posting "Wrong", how bout being helpful and offering a suggestion of who might have a higher CS. Then we might be able to determine what corrections need to be made.

MrFeature
09-21-2004, 03:27 PM
That doesnt matter, whats his CS now? The intention was for him to post a snippet of him casting something that shows his CS.

[Edited on 9-21-2004 by MrFeature]

The Cat In The Hat
09-21-2004, 03:34 PM
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but long ago it was MUCH harder for empaths to hunt, I'm talking in the ten year range. One of my best friends in game at the time was an empath and I remember him trying to hunt and it wasn't very succesful, but at that time empaths got a lot of experience for healing and they were on node when they were doing it. Anyone remember the quote-unquote race between Strom and Thalior to be the first to make Ancient? It wasn't much of a race at all because empaths had huge advantages.

Like I said, I'm not against empaths hunting, but they should have more incentive to heal than hunt.

When GS was first available on prodigy I started an empath there. When she was 17 she was hunting zombies alone (I think they were 23 then). She did pretty well for being primarily a healer. And yes, it was harder. And as I stated in my last post, I agree they should should have more incentive to heal than hunt. That's just not how the game's going though.

Wezas
09-21-2004, 03:41 PM
And lets be honest, an empath would be no match for a like-aged sorc. Sorc -> Implode -> Done with.

Empath -> Disspell? -> Bone Shatter/1110 -> Maybe dead, probably just hurt (if warded at all)

Amberlei
09-21-2004, 03:42 PM
I think empaths just can't win here. People belittle empaths for sitting and learning from healing, then complain that they shouldn't be hunting as it's their job to heal.

I chose to create an empath because I like the thought of helping other people, and she does love healing others, and meets some of the most interesting people that way, but there are times when it's just not practical for her to sit in TSC because there are a gazillion other empaths there. When that happens, or when I just don't feel like healing, I take her hunting.

While she's able to hold her own against like level critters, the sad fact is she's never going to be as good a huntress as my ranger and sorceress are. Granted, they're optimized for hunting and she's optimized for healing, but comparing their hunting abilities is like comparing apples and oranges. It's really not as easy as one would think to have an empath who's extremely effective at hunting.

Drew
09-21-2004, 03:53 PM
And lets be honest, an empath would be no match for a like-aged sorc. Sorc -> Implode -> Done with.

Empath -> Disspell? -> Bone Shatter/1110 -> Maybe dead, probably just hurt (if warded at all)

Yeah but sorc implosion beats anyone like level (or 20 levels up, implode, implode again), I wasn't talking PvP, I was talking about hunting monsters.

Wezas
09-21-2004, 04:07 PM
Yeah but sorc implosion beats anyone like level (or 20 levels up, implode, implode again), I wasn't talking PvP, I was talking about hunting monsters.

Hunting monsters - Meteor Swarm, CoL, A wizard can quickly if he runs into a room with enough critters.

A sorc has Maelstrom and Major Elemental Wave. Not to mention 720 is still a very powerful tool when hunting Click me (http://www.klaive.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1272)

What's an empath going to do? Mass distract them? Start sending fireballs and hope they bounce alot? Cast call lightning (25 mana) at every single critter?

Drew
09-21-2004, 05:19 PM
So a wizard hunting using CoL and a sorc using implode would fry quicker.... I don't understand the point, first you have to find a room with a ton of creatures, secondly, the argument doesn't work for warriors, rogues, rangers, and bards, all classes the empath should not equal up to in hunting.

Soulpieced
09-21-2004, 05:32 PM
Quivalin has a 443 CS, he is also a dark elf and has a massive (+10 or 15) bonus higher to his bardic CS stat. My CS is 444, and I am considerably more than singled in spells, which approximately 0 bards under 100 can afford.

You weave another verse into your harmony, directing the sound of your voice at a war griffin.
CS: +444 - TD: +390 + CvA: +25 + d100: +26 == +105
Warding failed!
A war griffin reels under the force of the sonic vibrations!
Sound waves disrupt for 3 damage!
... 3 points of damage!
Strike to the war griffin's right arm sprains biceps.

Sing Roundtime 3 Seconds.

The Cat In The Hat
09-21-2004, 05:51 PM
A well trained empath can kill a like level sorcerer. But I will admit it takes luck.

Wezas
09-21-2004, 05:53 PM
A well trained empath can kill a like level sorcerer. But I will admit it takes luck.

Fully spelled, each gets one cast, who's going to win 9 times out of 10? The one that doesn't have to ward a damn thing.

The Cat In The Hat
09-21-2004, 05:55 PM
Unless the empath gets the cast off successfully first...

Wezas
09-21-2004, 05:56 PM
Unless the empath gets the cast off successfully first...

Cast of what? Call Lightning?

A fully spelled Sorc would have a pretty good chance of warding off anything the empath throws in their direction.

Apotheosis
04-19-2005, 03:28 PM
Has anyone broken down the amount of lore need for extra cycles of the CS attack?

I know that telepathy adds more "CS" after attacks, but not sure how many ranks are needed for one extra, two extra.. etc. and what the max amount are..

Also, transformation lore = improved bolt DF,
anyone got a line on breakdown of that setup as well?

thx for the help

[Edited on 4-19-2005 by Yswithe]

isebumples
04-19-2005, 03:36 PM
My empath has killed many a sorceror, but he uses a claidhmore. He even has notches altered into the hilt of his blade, that he says he put there everytime he kills a sorc. Oldest one i've killed was well over twenty trains older than myself.

-Bumples player

Nilandia
04-19-2005, 06:05 PM
Two thresholds for CS attacks are known. I'm certain that 5 ranks is needed for the second, and I believe it's either 20 or 25 for the third. Beyond that, we don't know.

Nilandia

Dwarven Empath
04-20-2005, 05:31 AM
(Quote: A well trained empath can kill a like level sorcerer. But I will admit it takes luck. )

Who the fuck cares?

gsplayer
04-20-2005, 09:59 PM
Wow. Absolutely none of this topic has been to discuss the spell, it's just a composite of people bitching about empaths getting a new spell and other people bitching about profession balance. Did all of you forget your dextroamphetamine before you posted?