PDA

View Full Version : In 2010, GemStone IV will be...

08-31-2003, 10:03 PM
Where will GemStone IV be in the year 2010?

Betheny
08-31-2003, 10:04 PM
I vote for Gemstone: Klaiveless

Revalos
08-31-2003, 10:46 PM
It'll be gone. By the teens we'll be seeing graphics based MMORPGs with cinematic realism. It won't be VR per se, but we'll see fully customizable items GM generated quests using DVD style inserts due to the accessibility of digital recording technology.

Or I'm wrong and we'll still be seeing the same pixelated crap because people want it to "run fast." If that is true, then GS will still be around.

imported_Kranar
09-01-2003, 05:10 AM
<< Or I'm wrong and we'll still be seeing the same pixelated crap because people want it to "run fast." If that is true, then GS will still be around. >>

The next generation of home broadband connection should be available in the next 4 years, and believe it or not, it will be 60 times faster than current DSL speeds. About 20-25 MB a second.

It's actually already available, the technology that is, just it's not feasible to market at this point. And I'm not talking about OC connections that connect directly to internet backbones, I'm talking about a typical cable internet connection much like what many people have now... only 60 times faster.

In 10 years, games will be so damn incredible it's not even worth it to think about.

Weedmage Princess
09-01-2003, 10:48 AM
On crack? LOL

Zir
09-01-2003, 01:01 PM
In 2010 Gemstove IV will be....Gemstone III.

Bobmuhthol
09-01-2003, 02:28 PM
<<it will be 60 times faster than current DSL speeds. About 20-25 MB a second.>>

I don't think I've ever downloaded something at 345 KB/sec.

SpunGirl
09-01-2003, 02:37 PM
Honestly, all you need to play GemStone is a semi-decent connection and a great imagination. Sounds corny, I know, but if you want graphics go play EverQuest or something.

-K

Betheny
09-01-2003, 07:50 PM
If all people were concerned about was graphics, then why would anyone read books anymore?

I think MUD-style games aren't a thing of the past, but more reminiscent of the past. People will still play them.

Revalos
09-01-2003, 09:41 PM
I dunno. I can see MUDs going the way of the dodo if their level of customizability can be reproduced with clarity with graphics.

Yes, you can claim imagination, but I think kids are being tought to not believe what they cannot see with all the chat room predators and such. There may be crusty old folk like you and I, but the new kids will be playing something their parents can look in on and literally see what they are doing, not what they are typing.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
09-01-2003, 09:48 PM
In 2010, GS IV will be....

Almost done.

Edaarin
09-01-2003, 09:49 PM
Wait wait wait....are you implying that Simu doesn't deliver on its promises Bill?

Weedmage Princess
09-02-2003, 03:21 AM
I think MUD games will still be around. Like previously mentioned, it's in the same category as books, etc. However I don't think Gemstone will be around. I could be wrong though.

Neildo
09-02-2003, 05:41 PM
It'll be gone. By the teens we'll be seeing graphics based MMORPGs with cinematic realistm.

That's like saying books are obsolete due to TV, movies, and other sorts of better and more interactive multimedia.

There is a niche for everyone on the internet and there will always be people interested in [insert whatever here]. Now that's not to say Gemstone will be around, but text-based games will, at least.

- N

edit: D'oh, just saw Weedie's post. Yeah, what she said.

[Edited on 9/2/03 by Neildo]

Drew2
09-02-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage
In 2010, GS IV will be....

Almost done.
:lol::lol::lol:

ElanthianSiren
09-08-2003, 02:55 AM
-Somewhere I'm not.

Once I find a genetic splice to prevent diabetes by fixing that pesky thing on the 21st chromosome or when I've published my last novel in my series of 7, I shall be long away, sipping mock strawberry pinacoladas on a beach somewhere and looking at men covered in oil and seawater. -Some things... are just better than MUD'ing it all day.

-Melissa

09-08-2003, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by ElanthianSiren
-Somewhere I'm not.

Once I find a genetic splice to prevent diabetes by fixing that pesky thing on the 21st chromosome or when I've published my last novel in my series of 7, I shall be long away, sipping mock strawberry pinacoladas on a beach somewhere and looking at men covered in oil and seawater. -Some things... are just better than MUD'ing it all day.

-Melissa

Why mock?

ElanthianSiren
09-08-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Demon Lord Kage

-Somewhere I'm not.

-Melissa

Why mock?

Because I don't drink, alcohol.

-Melissa

09-08-2003, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by Demon Lord Kage

-Somewhere I'm not.

-Melissa

Why mock?

Because I don't drink, alcohol.

-Melissa

Wow, I never knew that. ::puts Melissa on his shoulder and gives her a mock midori::

Makkah
09-08-2003, 02:41 PM
<<Once I find a genetic splice to prevent diabetes by fixing that pesky thing on the 21st chromosome or when I've published my last novel in my series of 7, I shall be long away, sipping mock strawberry pinacoladas on a beach somewhere and looking at men covered in oil and seawater. -Some things... are just better than MUD'ing it all day.

-Melissa >>

Who are you? Sean?

rht

StrayRogue
09-08-2003, 03:56 PM
Personally, I play GS because its level of RP and none OOCness is only slightly above that of Graphical Based games. Now if faster connections, better graphics etc take away the snerts from Gemstone, I will be more the happier.

However, I feel GS4 will be GS's downfall.

Xcalibur
09-09-2003, 06:49 PM
2004 will be their worse year

I think gs will fall, sooner than 2010.

Too much mmorpg, and one will soon enough be as good as gs for the roleplaying.