PDA

View Full Version : Closing Nilandia.com

Nilandia
03-07-2014, 08:41 PM
Hey guys,

I wanted to give a head's up that I will be closing down Nilandia.com in the very near future. I can't justify spending the money to keep it open, and I've decided to move my listmaking over to GSGuide, where hopefully other people will be willing to pitch in as well. I'm not done with making lists and documenting festivals, and I will be working to put all of my records on GSGuide. It will just take some time to get it all over there. Until then, I believe archive.org has most of it, if not all.

It's been a fun 10 years. I'm a little sad to see it go.

Gretchen

Roblar
03-07-2014, 09:04 PM
Thanks for your having had your website of awesomeness all these years!

And for all your festival & merchant work. I for one am very glad it is just shifting venue and not going away ;)

Ardwen
03-07-2014, 09:05 PM
I've always thought you were insane, buy I've always enjoyed using your site when I needed too. Indeed sad to see it go, but at least you arent stopping just moving

Buckwheet
03-07-2014, 09:05 PM
Just out of curiosity, have you looked into moving it to the free google service? I believe you use static html pages so you would just be paying for the domain. Unless that is the major expense already.

Dendum
03-07-2014, 09:09 PM
Ahh, sorry to see this site go. I have often used it to look over past merchant items list and just to browse events I didn't actually get to attend.

Aluvius
03-07-2014, 09:43 PM
It was the first site I went to when I came back after a decade. It was awesome to read the GS3-GS4 conversion stuff which all happened when I was gone. Heck, I still use it to look up old items and for the town merchant lists! :)

droit
03-07-2014, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I used your site earlier today to look up an old item. I hope all the archives make it over eventually. Sad to see it go.

Buckwheet
03-07-2014, 10:48 PM
This is what I was talking about:

http://www.labnol.org/internet/host-website-on-google-drive/28178/
combined with
http://www.labnol.org/internet/host-website-on-google-app-engine/18801/

So you host the "wrapper" html page or the index.html for nilandia inside of app engine. You get like 1GB of storage and 1GB of transfer per day. Which you will never hit because the "wrapper" index html just loads the static html pages from your google drive account.

rolfard
03-07-2014, 10:59 PM
Thanks for opening and maintaining such a valued repository of knowledge. It's been great being able to check back on things I find in old lockers and mystery packs :)

Rolf

Geijon Khyree
03-08-2014, 12:39 AM
I think we should post the top 10 websites for GS IV. Your work on Nilandia.com and now on gsguide qualifies easily. It's probably Krakii then Gsguide.net. Its a good move Nilandia. We'll make that list someplace else. No thread hijack :)

Candor
03-08-2014, 12:47 AM
Nilandia.com was one of the best - I am sorry to see it go. Good luck in your future efforts.

Gemstones
03-08-2014, 12:56 AM
First, Loralaii sells out, and now this. It's a sad week in GemStone land. Every time there's a merchant event, I go to my web browser and type in nilandia.com. I spend a lot of time looking through your lists and deciding what to buy. I also use it to experience events I couldn't make in game. Gonna miss it. Thanks for keeping the site open for so long.

Cereal Killer
03-08-2014, 01:06 AM
I just wanted to throw in my thanks for maintaining such a useful site over the years. You've helped equip and dress up all of my characters through their early levels with the town merchant lists.

zhelas
03-08-2014, 01:23 AM
I want to thank you for having nilandia.com . Your site helped me understand all the new changes from GSIII to GSIV when I returned to the lands.

Nilandia
03-10-2014, 01:57 AM
Nilandia.com is now no more. Thank you all for your kind words. They mean a lot to me!

Gretchen

Gemstones
03-10-2014, 08:09 PM
Nilandia.com is now no more.

http://i62.tinypic.com/20z79s3.jpg

FlayedAngel
03-10-2014, 09:12 PM
Nilandia.com is now no more. Thank you all for your kind words. They mean a lot to me!

Gretchen
Thanks for all your hard work! Your previous website has always been uber-helpful, and look forward to the new iteration! :D

bremerial
04-12-2014, 02:06 AM
Gretchen

I'm a bit late to the party but I want to add my voice to the throng. Your site has been an invaluable source of information and inspiration to me for years. I have made reference to it more times than Bremerial has drunk ale...and that's going some!

A big thank you from me for what you have provided. It is going to be so strange not typing Nilandia in google and removing the link to that site from my own was kinda' a sad moment. Will look forward to the transfer of info to GSguide. Take your time. Good things are worth the wait.

Wrathbringer
04-12-2014, 04:46 AM
Love Nilandia.com. :( Thank you.

Zylianara
05-03-2014, 09:34 PM
Derp!

This is as devastating as when Tsoran was no longer going to be able to host all those maps, except this is WORSE! Selfishly speaking, I had already printed a hard copy of the maps and how many new areas are we at risk of having no maps for? But shopping!?

I'm glad to read that you're just transferring everything over to GSguide.

There should be a main page on Krakiipedia that lists all the worthy sites for GSIV players, that would be awesome sauce and for those of us with the 'must be organized' gene.

StrayRogue
05-04-2014, 06:48 AM
Sad times. Thanks for all the help for all the years Nilandia.

Bhaalizmo
12-10-2016, 02:31 PM
Thanx for doing it all those years, Nilandia. Miss ya like Tsoran.